Last Chance U

joeycovers

Just saw the preview, will definitely watch. So they have a 5* guy, but the preview seemed to indicate that this is a team that has been losing for years and just brought in a new coach - sounds like a change of pace from the asshole coach at the juco winning on division 1 talent with behavior/grade problems? I imagine that you’d find the grade/behavior stuff anywhere, but does it seem like a shift in the caliber/expectations of the players?

This coach understands these kids at least. Buddy was just a prick. And that woman isn’t a counselor. She’s an English teacher that “counsels” on her own time  

Carlos Thompson is the standard TT Wr that has 1k yards and drafted in 5th round. What a waste 

I love how this coach calls out these D1 guys for what they are. 

Saw a couple episodes, how the hell that dude has any loyalty from his players and coaches is beyond me. 

I am guessing he doesnt. At the end of the season they talked about how this is the first time he wasnt 1 and done at a job.

I grew up in Independence and it wasnt really that bad of a place to grow up in the 80s and 90s. It quickly became a shithole though as all small towns have in the last couple decades. I can't imagine coming there after being a 5 star Division 1 athlete though. Kind of a culture shock.

• Like 1

Just finished episode 4 against Dodge City. I’m not going to google anything but there’s no way this coach keeps his job. How can that AD and school president witness that behavior and think it’s OK?  Malik is going to have a rough life if he doesn’t excise whatever demons he has. 

Time to merge threads.

This dude is an absolute joke. And he seems to be either high or drunk or both the moment he is off campus. He's worse than Buddy, IMO. Dude is an absolute clown.

I agree that he’s definitely drunk or high but I think he’s better than buddy.

Yes he’s a joke and he acts like an idiot but I think he truly cares. He doesn’t have anything else going for him.

On 7/21/2018 at 9:04 AM, joeycovers said:

Carlos Thompson is the standard TT Wr that has 1k yards and drafted in 5th round. What a waste 

WTF does this mean?

Is it a waste of Thompson's talent?  Is making the NFL a waste? Is it a waste to give these guys another chance?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

WTF does this mean?

Is it a waste of Thompson's talent?  Is making the NFL a waste? Is it a waste to give these guys another chance?

Have you watched? It’s a waste that he had a ceiling of that and has been babiedfor 4 years and never amount to that. Mom wasted 14k just to try and help him and he’s still a diva with no sense of urgency. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Have you watched? It’s a waste that he had a ceiling of that and has been babiedfor 4 years and never amount to that. Mom wasted 14k just to try and help him and he’s still a diva with no sense of urgency. 

No I have not watched it, so please excuse my asking your perspective for your previous post.  

I tend to view entitlement and immaturity in a similar fashion, but will also remind folks that this year's Tech defense is lead by Dakota Allen;  who was also a guy in trouble who turned it around, at least in part, with a stop at Last Chance U.

Thompson needs to get shit straightened out in a hurry if he has similar aspirations.

Edited by slorch

If I remember correctly Allen had one mishap and was also very like able. Thompson is on I believe his 5th school in 4 years and comes across entitled. He will never be 1st team anything at a power 5 school the way Allen has. Allen was the exception as far these last chance u guys go 

Are we talking about Dakota Allen? The guy with linebacker size and speed that had good grades and had some kind of religious rebirth while at EMCC?

I don't want to sound cynical, but there are tons of guys with NFL type bodies and size and speed and measurables who can't get their act together in High School or college. There are more wanna be quarterbacks than there are starting spots, and half the four and five star guys leave when they don't have a starting spot.

finished the 6th episode tonight. i think the 1st two seasons were better but it's still very entertaining and worth your time if you're debating watching or not.

the coach is a fucking idiot and they're facilities are shitty compared to EMCC. the QB is a douche and so is the kicker. i like bobby bruce seems like he just doesn't know how to deal with his emotions. 

radio announcer is kind of melodramatic. 

I've watched all three seasons... A couple comments on this one in particular:

1) I think both the EMCC And ICC coaches are crazy... To me, Buddy seems like he is a better x's and o's guy but the Independence guy relates better to his players. Both have anger issues.

2) I know one of the guys in this show pretty well (follow each other on social media, have each other's phone numbers, but not really friends), and he was a total idiot at his former school. He comes across as one of the "smart guys" on this show, which is kind of funny.

3) The fan interaction seemed a lot more forced on this show. The old men in the coffee shop seemed like such props.

16 hours ago, trza-hawk said:

Are we talking about Dakota Allen? The guy with linebacker size and speed that had good grades and had some kind of religious rebirth while at EMCC?

I don't want to sound cynical, but there are tons of guys with NFL type bodies and size and speed and measurables who can't get their act together in High School or college. There are more wanna be quarterbacks than there are starting spots, and half the four and five star guys leave when they don't have a starting spot.

I brought him up as an example of someone who turned LCU into something good.

Most of the posts before that were related to a POS WR.

I have only finished two episodes and the two transfer running backs show how the position is about as disposable at the Power-5 as it is in the NFL. So many guys with measurables and stars who can't hit the hole or break a tackle or read the defense and make a cut back even when they are faster than every guy they are up against. Why would a P5 coach keep guys like the ones here around when there are so many big strong kids who want to be running back.

I'm 2 episodes in as well. Great start, I'm completely hooked to this team, but I can't tell who I like and don't like yet. The coach's pre-game speech before game 1 was intense and memorable, I'm thinking he is a hell of a motivator after all, then they get smacked. Week 2 I'm starting to come around to Malik Henry, he really does seem smart as shit, but then he reminds you he's just a 19-20 year old kid after all, who thinks he's a lot smarter than he really is. He's smart, and seems like a student of the game, but through 2 episodes he's still just a teenager.

I'm 2 eps in as well and I pretty much hate everyone on the show.

I don't know what the criteria is to be a coach at that level, but we had high school practices that were more organized than that shit they put together.

Malik Henry is a whiny bitch.  I get that he came from FSU and doesn't want to be there, but fuck, man....I'm guessing 90% of those guys don't want to be there.

My wife walked by while the head coach was in the hot tub smoking a cigar and asked if he was wasted? lol 
No way I could play for that dude.

Carlos Thompson is likeable, but he's just a fuck-up.

It was strange hearing Kai Locksley's name leading that beatdown in the opener.

He was 11/11 220yds and a TD

Rushed 5times for 25yds and 2 TD's 

Did anybody else catch Thompson talking about the money they get? He said they have $800 a month leftover to blow on whatever they want? Is that accurate because if so that seems like a lot of coin for these guys to be able to blow. 

Yeah I was wondering about that too. (Episode 1)I thought he was saying he was getting a stipend of $800 (either said every two weeks, or had $800 leftover) when he was at Texas Tech. That got me super curious, anybody know what that’s about? Is it a stipend to cover rent out in town or something? Was tech paying him?

Also this coach is a joke, he shits on everybody, coaches and players, and is full of himself. “I haven’t watched any tape, but I’m a savant at play calling” -lose 21-70

The entitled QB is right, this dude doesn’t know what he’s doing. I’m not finished yet, but I have yet to see him work with any players. Just ready to talk shit to hem and then throw the coaches under the bus.

I want to know where Malik Henry learned to respond to every authority figure getting onto him about something with a "fuck you" without any hesitation whatsoever. Worst attitude I've seen in a football uniform in a long time. He seems to have a mind for the game, but the body of a 16 year old and the maturity of a toddler. So bad that even Jumbo Fischer let him go. That's a low, low bar to hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Yeah I was wondering about that too. (Episode 1)I thought he was saying he was getting a stipend of $800 (either said every two weeks, or had $800 leftover) when he was at Texas Tech. That got me super curious, anybody know what that’s about? Is it a stipend to cover rent out in town or something? Was tech paying him?

I am pretty sure D1 scholarship players get a stipend to cover the "full cost of attendance"

34 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I want to know where Malik Henry learned to respond to every authority figure getting onto him about something with a "fuck you" without any hesitation whatsoever. Worst attitude I've seen in a football uniform in a long time. He seems to have a mind for the game, but the body of a 16 year old and the maturity of a toddler. So bad that even Jumbo Fischer let him go. That's a low, low bar to hit.

Spoiler

When the ref told him to stop throwing out n bombs and his response was "fuck you" I thought for sure he was gone. I'm shocked that the ref didn't do anything besides talking to the coach.

Episode 3 spoiler

I am pretty sure D1 scholarship players get a stipend to cover the "full cost of attendance"

So is it even across the board, so far as semester costs are concerned? Or say, does a university who likes operate in the grey area, like Michigan offer a much higher “stipend” than say a Texas Tech?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

So is it even a cross the board, so far as semester costs are concerned? Or say, does a university who likes to push up to the edge, like Michigan offer a much higher “stipend” than say a “Tech?”

No, the stipend is determined by each schools financial aid counselors:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-09-03/cost-attendance-qa

Edited by mapplewhite132

I've watched the whole series and my takeaway is that the dude is a giant baby who can't control his emotions and his first response to any kind of kickback from his players is to personally attack them and trash them. Almost all of these guys are about as down on their luck as they can be. One ledge away from rock bottom. So he is essentially kicking them while they are not just down, but damn near the bottom. A kid like Bobby Bruce has spent his whole life being told he isn't worth society's time and this coach is just one more voice pushing him away. He's just Buddy Stephens: California Edition. He talks about having thick skin, but some people use that phrase to excuse their personal attacks on other people. A lot of us have played sports, been in the military, or have otherwise had tough mentors and coaches in our lives. I've been chewed up one side and down the other. I've been told in several different ways that I'm not cut out for one thing or another and have had my heart and drive challenged. You have to suck it up and fight through that. But Coach Brown gets real personal with guys who are already psychologically vulnerable. "This is a business" doesn't apply at that low of a level, in my opinion. Look at the crowds, for example. I'm willing to bet that there are 3A high schools in Texas that generate more revenue than the ICC program. The only reason he got an Adidas sponsorship is because the team would be on Last Chance U.

Here is a direct quote from him in an interview:

It’s an 18-month school. We don’t have an alma mater, don’t have a fight song. This is not a four-year institution. I don’t get to build these kids for a year, so we don’t teach a lot of Xs and Os. We had 27 Division I transfers last year — 15 Power 5 transfers. I’m not teaching them nothin’, and neither are my 22-year-old coaches.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/7/20/17572234/jason-brown-independence-cc-last-chance-u

This season essentially told me that the worst place to go for your last chance is ICC and Jason Brown. He doesn't build football players. He just needs bodies.

• Like 1

From a production and documentary aspect, this show is miles ahead of what passes for a reality show on cable these days. They players and coaches aren't doing stuff just for the cameras, they aren't put in odd situations by the production company.

10 hours ago, Eastwood said:

A lot of us have played sports, been in the military, or have otherwise had tough mentors and coaches in our lives. I've been chewed up one side and down the other. I've been told in several different ways that I'm not cut out for one thing or another and have had my heart and drive challenged. You have to suck it up and fight through that. But Coach Brown gets real personal with guys who are already psychologically vulnerable.

I get what your saying about getting personal and I think the military is a perfect comparison. I think he gets personal because he talks to the mentors and families.  It really is a Last Chance U for a lot of guys in the military. I was in it and heard the stories from numerous people. Military was a way to get out and the way guys are treated in boot camp are not much different from this. I feel like he actually does care about most the kids and realizes some of them though will wash out. What he did for Carlos Thompson is evidence. 

If Herman treated guys this way and finished #4 in the country..... would anybody here be upset?