Last Chance U

joeycovers

I don’t like Malik either, but I do feel pity for him. This kid has talent and a head for the game, but I don’t think he likes football at all which is why he lashes out. Everyone in his life, especially his dad who left him at 3, only to mysteriously show back up in high school once it became apparent this kid was good. Now he acts like his manager and has everyone pushing this kid. Unfortunately I don’t think the kid is really into it. He’s heading for a future he doesn’t want, and he can’t stop the train so he self sabotages and gives up. At least that’s my impression.

• Like 1

I’ve watched all 3 seasons and I find this show so interesting.  Random thoughts...

1.  Malik Henry is damn talented but that kid is not repairable.  His father needs to be his father and not his manager.  This kid has had so much pressure put on him, it’s obvious he’s struggling with not living up to expectations.  He’s the result of a kid that has never been disciplined growing up.  The guy has no respect for his mentors bc he’s been told his shit doesn’t stink since being 10.  Now that he is mentally fucked, his father is trying to save his career rather than getting his kid to a therapist.

2.  Holy shit that juco is the worst.  Makes EMCC look like Bama/Clemson.  Their food was worse than prison food.  No wonder those kids can’t put on weight, they’re starving themselves.  The facilities are worse than middle schools.  Half this board knows more about football than that dipshit HC.  His playcalling is worse than a 13 year old playing Madden.  No wonder his players are frustrated during games.  

3.  Rakeem Boyd seems like he will tear shit up under Morris at Arkansas.  Kid is talented forsure.  

4.  For many of these kids, they are there bc they have fucked up every chance even though they were raised in a stable upbringing.  Guys like Malik Henry, Carlos Thompson didn’t grow up poor. They just don’t give a fuck and have squandered every opportunity given to them.  On the contrary, some kids have had really fucked up lives like Bobby Bruce, buckmaster, and Isaiah Wright from emcc.  It’s an accomplishment for these kids just to make it to juco.  It’s obvious that many of them are begging for guidance and someone to care for them.  They’ve been neglected their whole lives.  Both of them ended up arrested and in jail.  Hopefully Buckmaster gets a degree and can get himself out of poverty.

2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Be sure to watch the EMCC follow up. Dakota Allen, among others, are doing well. Brittany is still a treasure. No surprise that her boyfriend is a black guy. It goes into depth about the Isaiah Wright arrest and trial.

Where did you catch the EMCC follow-up? Is it in this season? 

6 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Be sure to watch the EMCC follow up. Dakota Allen, among others, are doing well. Brittany is still a treasure. No surprise that her boyfriend is a black guy. It goes into depth about the Isaiah Wright arrest and trial.

My buddy is the attorney for Isiah Wright. I am pulling for him. 

Buckmaster and Bruce hit me the most this season and it is obvious they are good kids that have had to fight for everything they have.  I hope Bruce can get some mental help as he has the talent to play at a higher level. He strikes me as someone that never had a male role model in his life. 

My buddy is the attorney for Isiah Wright. I am pulling for him. 

Poor guy. It’s sad when people with his mental capacity get interrogated by the police. They have no idea what they’re saying after a while. Reminds me of the kid from Making a Murderer.

31 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Poor guy. It’s sad when people with his mental capacity get interrogated by the police. They have no idea what they’re saying after a while. Reminds me of the kid from Making a Murderer.

If you think that's bad, watch "The Confession" on Netflix.  A whole series about false confessions due to police interrogation methods.

Finished it yesterday. Really liked the season, some great characters to follow.

Spoiler

Sucks about Bruce, but can't say you didn't see it coming. The dude sounded like he knew better, but was also looking for a reason to get back on the streets. You gotta fight that call.

Really glad to hear Malik didn't get picked up by a D1, but by the last episode I did kind of empathize for the kid. He is under tremendous pressure, and that lunch with him and Malik and that trainer/nutritionist/friend was all you had to see. That kid did not want to be there, did not want to put in the work to make D1 and said himself he was only playing football to try and make his people proud. Not good enough.

By the end I thought coach was a dumbass, but also a type of personality that works in football. Not a great coach, mentor or person to look up to, but the type who will probably be successful for a while. He knows his deal, he ain't out-coaching anybody but he can out-talent whatever the fuck a "Jayhawk Conference" is. He also does seem to care about the kids that he likes.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I am through the Dodge City episode.  This guy is 10 times worse than Buddy.  He's a huge asshole and is in desperate need of a therapist and is a shitty coach on top of it all.

This.

I really don't understand how he's employed at all, much less as a head coach.

He's got a very narcissistic view of himself and is constantly putting his players down, without building them back up.  Im surprised none of those guys have whipped his ass yet.

Like his 1/2 ass apology...If you accept it, great, if not?  Fuck you.  What a clown.

Buddy was at least very organized and kept his temper under control a lot better than this guy does.  He's constantly losing his shit and is never going to be able to coach above the level he's at.  No one is going to put up with his rage issues.  He should have been fired after the Dodge City game for the way he acted on the sideline.

Edited by kevwun

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Buddy was at least very organized and kept his temper under control a lot better than this guy does.  He's constantly losing his shit and is never going to be able to coach above the level he's at.  No one is going to put up with his rage issues.  He should have been fired after the Dodge City game for the way he acted on the sideline.

I can’t decide why I like Buddy just a tad better but this could be it. Buddy is a goddamn redneck but I think he is better at X’s and O’s. Buddy is also just a good ol boy who you could probably have a beer with. 

I dont want to slam either guy too much. The shit they deal with is too much for most people and I think they both care about players. I know some players hated Buddy but they were with him because they  put themselves there. 

Finished it at 2 AM last night.  As others have said, JB is a piece of shit that doesn't know anything about football and constantly destroys his players without ever building them back up.  I feel bad for Frank - the guy coaches for free b/c he wants a chance to really help these kids and teach them the game.  That video of him talking to Malik's [POS] dad is certainly revealing ("I sure fucking don't want to be here").  I'm amazed JB didn't get canned after episode 4, especially when his boss was on the sideline watching him lose his shit.  The whole situation just goes to show, if you win football games, nothing else matters.  It's easy to understand how situations at Baylor et al continue to exist.

Finished it today. I really do think this is one of the most well-put together reality shows on right now. It's too bad no one was all that likeable, but hey that's true reality sometimes. I guess the guys I pulled for the most were the white center, Bobby Bruce even though he was an idiot, and coach Diaz. Malik was a grade-A cunt but I did somewhat feel for him, with such a shitty dad like that. 

I really can't decide who's worse between this coach and Buddy. Buddy is obviously the better coach, but is just as thin-skinned and whiny as Brown is. I think Brown cared way more about the players than Buddy did. Which isn't saying much. 

The KS juco conference had its media day on Friday and Netflix was there.  Interviewed a few of the likable coaches in the conference one-on-one.  Hopefully some of those interviews make it into the season next year.  There are some very good men who coach in KS jucos, they (netflix) have just chosen to go after one of the worst 3 that I've ever seen. Not a good XO coach.  Not a good man.  I wish Netflix would do a season at one of the good programs (the ones that have good facilities and good coaches) but that wouldn't make for good TV (is what I guess Netflix thinks), and I do know of one coach that turned Netflix down for season 3.

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

The KS juco conference had its media day on Friday and Netflix was there.  Interviewed a few of the likable coaches in the conference one-on-one.  Hopefully some of those interviews make it into the season next year.  There are some very good men who coach in KS jucos, they (netflix) have just chosen to go after one of the worst 3 that I've ever seen. Not a good XO coach.  Not a good man.  I wish Netflix would do a season at one of the good programs (the ones that have good facilities and good coaches) but that wouldn't make for good TV (is what I guess Netflix thinks), and I do know of one coach that turned Netflix down for season 3.

I was about to say what you said. Winning is only 25% of what makes this show great. The players and train wreck coaches are what really matter. 

The assistant coaches at Independence are not even close to what EMCC had, I thought at least two of the EMCC assistants would move up to better jobs soon. The guys at Independence are either working for free and/or long term friends with the head coach.

Spoiler

Man, what happened with Bobby Bruce was like a gut punch, yet also felt inevitable. I was rooting for that guy, along with Carlos Thompson, Kerry Buckmaster and Rakeem Boyd. Like I've said, i couldn't stand Malik Henry. It would also be nice if Jamal would get a scholly somewhere

Edited by lateshow

I love the show, think this was the best season. The crazy game with all the fights was better than EMCC's crazy fight game.

On the coaches, I prefer Brown all day - he's somewhat entertaining and he knows he's a clown that no one likes. His first comment to the team after their biggest win was "They said I can't coach!" or something self-serving. And after a loss, he singles out a player to blame. But Buddy tried to be this pious leader who should get a statue someday, I found myself rooting against him as opposed to Brown.

Here's a nitpick I wonder if anyone else has noticed: I think they have the radio guy re-record some play by play in post-production. There are so many game comments that are just too perfect for the situations, like "He really needs to secure the football here" followed by a fumble.

Oh and one last random theory: The female trainer just happened to come over from the same small school as Coach Brown. They never said much about his love life. Hmmmm

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Here's a nitpick I wonder if anyone else has noticed: I think they have the radio guy re-record some play by play in post-production. There are so many game comments that are just too perfect for the situations, like "He really needs to secure the football here" followed by a fumble.

Good point, but did the dude come off as really creepy to anybody else?

This installment is loaded. Such a great series.

Brown is such a loose cannon shithead that he's somewhat likeable. He's pretty damn funny. "I"m Sorry. If you don't accept my apology...fuck you." He also offers some pretty sobering insight into the game/culture as an aging coach.

Worst moment: Two football players hanging out after a big game: One comments to the other, "That's cool your dad was there. I wish I had that."

The music was kickass again. The restraint by the editors desreves recognition. It would be easy to overdo it.

I noticed the audio from the radio guy sounded a little chopped up and re-recorded like a reality show.

Bobby Bruce somehow got past his arrest and is back on the team according to one picture on twitter so you never know.

Maybe Malik should try baseball you would think he could keep his temper in check playing that game with the different rhythm and daily grind instead of the crazy build up to a weekly football game. I would think he could go to a big time 1-AA school with a competent coach that has a positive atmosphere might do something for him, but he has depression issues that aren't getting fixed in the show.

Some of the guys from seasons 1 and 2 are getting invited to NFL camps but they are long shots to make the final cuts.

He definitely doesn't want to be a football player.  His dad is something else.  He's ruined his kid's life trying to cash in on him.  In a perfect world he would have been able to stick with baseball and probably  been much happier and maybe not so much of an ass.

Edited by kevwun

On 7/27/2018 at 7:16 AM, kevwun said:

I am through the Dodge City episode.  This guy is 10 times worse than Buddy.  He's a huge asshole and is in desperate need of a therapist and is a shitty coach on top of it all.

This is where I'm at, and Coach Sims told you everything you needed to know, if you read between the lines, in the opening of E3.

Surprised Brown didn't get a lot of flack for the "You all look like a bunch of monkeys fuckin' an elephant!" comment.

Just finished the season and I didn’t find it near as bad as some of the comments mentioned. I still come back to my thoughts on EMCC, it takes a different kind of coach to be successful at one of these programs. You have a bunch of kids that have been told they are the greatest all their lives and they will play in the NFL, that couldn’t make it at a D1 because of disciplinary issues generally. There are grade issues as well, but I have a hard time believing that the grades wouldn’t work themselves out for the right kid. Now they are at their last stop where they either turn it around or they go back home, so it takes a different mindset to deal with it.

JB goes to the complete opposite end of the spectrum than Buddy on trying to be relatable and at times it’s way over the top. However, he’s a shitty X’s and O’s coach which wasn’t the case at EMCC. There were numerous times that you just had to shake your head at the play calling and lack of communication in the offense. We are only seeing a couple of minutes from each game though so editing can drive the narrative any way it wants.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, RiceOwl said:

2) I know one of the guys in this show pretty well (follow each other on social media, have each other's phone numbers, but not really friends), and he was a total idiot at his former school. He comes across as one of the "smart guys" on this show, which is kind of funny.

If that guy is the obvious answer, he seems like Steven Hawking compared to the rest of his teammates.  I remember thinking that he and the Michigan guy just went from premiere academic institutions to a middle school.  They have to be laughing at the classroom experience.

I didn't think it was possible, but I like Buddy better than this coach.  As others have said, this guy is nothing but a shameless self-promoter.  No football knowledge, no real social skills, just the narcissistic ability to mimic others in a setting for a short time in order to gain trust.  I no doubt would have walked out if I were one of his coaches and he pulled some of his tantrums.  That, or just punch him like one of the assistants tried to do. 

Considering the coach and Malik's entitled ass, I actually found myself cheering for the other team and getting disappointed when a hail mary pass would fall incomplete and Indy would win. 

Forgot to ask this in earlier post, but does anyone know the actual origin of the Jayhawk conference limits on out of state players that they rescinded last year? 

The school president went on about its racist origins since Kansas was so white but then later it was mentioned that junior colleges in Texas and Mississippi have even stricter out of state rules.  Seems that Mississippi and Texas would not be keeping a team segregated by putting out of state limits in place, so there must be some other valid reason for it (such as keeping state funded schools for in state residents or just keeping a competitive balance where you don't bring in out of state ringers).

Not trying to start a cloakroom thread here, I'm just genuinely curious.   

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

Forgot to ask this in earlier post, but does anyone know the actual origin of the Jayhawk conference limits on out of state players that they rescinded last year? 

The school president went on about its racist origins since Kansas was so white but then later it was mentioned that junior colleges in Texas and Mississippi have even stricter out of state rules.  Seems that Mississippi and Texas would not be keeping a team segregated by putting out of state limits in place, so there must be some other valid reason for it (such as keeping state funded schools for in state residents or just keeping a competitive balance where you don't bring in out of state ringers).

Not trying to start a cloakroom thread here, I'm just genuinely curious.   

The rule existed because the KJC conference is for the development of Kansas kids not some racist bullshit that moron wants to trumpet.  Many of the players on the better schools (Butler, Garden City, Coffeyville, Hutch), especially linemen and interior positions, are Kansas kids, D1 talent-worthy, but D1 scouts aren't rushing out to bum-fuck KS small town that's a 6 hour drive from civilization to watch these kids play in HS.  At these jucos, many of those individuals would be seen by and get picked up by D1 and D2 scouts for their sophomore or junior year since it's easier to recruit 8 jucos than the entire state when they're in HS (many of these kids don't have to stay 2 years since, well the ones that made it through the NCAA clearinghouse like Will Honas who shined at Butler and is now poised to be a key player on the Cornhusker defense this year after getting no major looks out of HS).  The non-qualifiers have to stay 2 years (like a Cordarelle Patterson who played for Hutch (now Raiders) or Michael Gallup who played for Butler (now Cowboys)). 

The rule change was a HUGE point of contention to the long tenured coaches in the conference because they knew it would come at the expense of KS kids, who in years past made up 75-90% of a given roster.  And it has, sadly.  Where in the past, teams in this conference were allowed 12 (I think that's the number it was) out-of-state players, today it's unlimited.  And guess what... the Indy team featured on Netflix had THREE Kansas kids on their roster.  It sucks because hundreds of Kansas kids are missing out on the opportunity to play juco football and thus not get that look from a D1 or D2 school.  These are state schools, funded by the taxpayers and the motivation was to have them for the good and the benefit of young men and women from the state of KS.  And as you said as well, the TX and MS conference has even stricter rules... but then again those two states have better talent pools anyways and don't have to pull so many from OOS. 

The Indy president is a douche like his HC.  The pissant schools of the conference worked together to get the OOS rule changed because they knew otherwise they'd never compete.  And in many ways they were right.  Not that parity is bad, but it has really sacrificed the heart of the conference as one truly for children of the sunflower state.  (In comparison to Indy's 3, Butler had 35 Kansas guys on their squad last year)

The name of the game in juco ball is not just winning, but sending kids onto the next level...

DjIXvGdU8AAoFje.jpg:large

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 1

I don’t buy his care for the kids act either. You can tell by the Cadillac on the practice field. The cigar smoking “I’m a player” motif he’s trying to portray. He’s a narcissist. He only cares about himself. If a kid “talks back” and you immediately start screaming personal attacks on the kid. You don’t care about the kid. You care about your ego. 

I thought it was hilarious he tried to use the rival head coach saying he couldn’t coach quotes as motivation for his team to get payback. They probably agree with the rival coach. 

He won because he had better players. Plain and simple. Rakeem Boyd was a 4 star RB out of high school and wasn’t recruited by everyone because no one thought he would qualify. Most people were shocked Aggy got him in school. 

He flamed out in California coaching due to his temper. Went to Garden City, got fired for assaulting the coach. Now, went to a team that was desperate for a win. Conference doormat. They take a chance of Brown as coach because they ain’t going nothing to lose. Recruiting is his only skill and with new rule, he recruited 27 D1 transfers. 

• Like 1

He talks a good game.  I don't know if he's ever thrown the ball away in his life though.  He took so many big losses when he should have thrown it away.  He also doesn't like getting hit at all.  He was short-arming throws by the end of the season whenever he thought there might be pressure. He should be sympathetic figure with what his dad has done to him, but he's such a jackass to everyone around him that it makes it impossible to root for him.

Edited by kevwun

I checked out Brown's official bio at http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/coaches/Jason_Brown?view=bio.  It looks like he had one of his players check punctuation. The most impressive feat is how he managed to break every school record in the football programs (sic) history.  Dude apparently could throw, run, receive, tackle and kick.   

After Compton Community College, he took a football scholarship to Fort Hays State University (FHSU) in Hays, Kansas. He was honored to learn under the legendary, Jeff Leiker. While at Fort Hays State, Brown started At Quarterback and eventually went on to break every school record in the football programs history before earning his degree in Kinesiology in 2003.

Show is interesting.  The coach is a fucking lunatic.  However, he seems to mellow a lot as the season goes on.  Either he was given a talk to by one of his bosses or he got medicated.  Never saw him study any film or put together any kind of play calling strategy for any game.  He is more of just a motivational speaker it seems.  Malik Henry is a mess and his father carries a lot of the blame I think.  His D1 days are over after the airing of this show.  As someone who grew up playing sports I get the coach yelling and cussing stuff, but players talking shit to coaches just baffles me.  JUCO coaches may have to deal with that, but to think that any D1 coach would tolerate that shit is mind bottling.  You think anyone talks back to Nick Saban?

On 8/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, Not a cat said:

I checked out Brown's official bio at http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/coaches/Jason_Brown?view=bio.  It looks like he had one of his players check punctuation. The most impressive feat is how he managed to break every school record in the football programs (sic) history.  Dude apparently could throw, run, receive, tackle and kick.   

After Compton Community College, he took a football scholarship to Fort Hays State University (FHSU) in Hays, Kansas. He was honored to learn under the legendary, Jeff Leiker. While at Fort Hays State, Brown started At Quarterback and eventually went on to break every school record in the football programs history before earning his degree in Kinesiology in 2003.

So perusing the Fort Hays archives....he's barely mentioned, much less broken every school record. :lol

Career Passing TD's- he's tied for 9th in school history with 17.  The Top guy has 34

6th in career passing yards

6th in career passing attempts

7th in career passing TD's

No All- American honors

And the "Legendary Jeff Leiker" was 13-19 as a head coach.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

So perusing the Fort Hays archives....he's barely mentioned, much less broken every school record. :lol

Career Passing TD's- he's tied for 9th in school history with 17.  The Top guy has 34

6th in career passing yards

6th in career passing attempts

7th in career passing TD's

No All- American honors

And the "Legendary Jeff Leiker" was 13-19 as a head coach.

Lol, this is amazing