Last Chance U

joeycovers

Looks like Isiah Wright is now out of jail.

Isaiah Wright -- the talented running back featured on the Netflix docuseries "Last Chance U" -- is being released from jail after cutting a plea deal in his murder case ... TMZ Sportshas learned. 

Wright was arrested back in Sept. 2017 on 1 count of criminal homicide in the stabbing death of an 18-year-old man. Wright has been locked up ever since. 

Now, we've learned ... the 20-year-old appeared in a Tennessee courtroom on Wednesday where he agreed to a plea deal with prosecutors. 

The terms of the deal ... Wright pled guilty to 1 count of facilitation of aggravated robbery (which we're told means he "furnished assistance without the intent to commit robbery") -- and in exchange the murder charge was dropped ... according to his attorney, Kevin Angel. 

As for his sentence, Wright got 5 years probation and time served -- and we're told he's already been released from jail. 

Unclear if Wright will try to resume his football career -- or try to move on with his life in a different field. 

http://www.tmz.com/2018/08/08/last-chance-u-isaiah-wright-murder-charge-dropped-plea-deal/

The DA has now dropped the murder charges against both of the brothers.  From the little I read and saw of it, it was a really big leap to charge them with murder when they didn't have any proof that they knew that it was going to happen and neither was directly involved.

Edited by kevwun

Fans of Netflix's Emmy-nominated hit series "Last Chance U" can officially rejoice.

The documentary, which offers an unfiltered look into the experience of playing junior college football, has been renewed for a fourth season. The series will return to Independence, Kan., to follow the Independence Community College Pirates for a second straight season.

In a statement, director and executive producer Greg Whiteley expressed his excitement for the series' return to Indy to follow the Pirates and head coach Jason Brown.

"Coach Brown has recruited a number of players this season who have compelling back stories and it seems the Jayhawk conference as a whole has seen a surge in recruiting," Whiteley said in a statement. "As such, we feel that a return trip to Kansas is warranted.  After visiting the ICC campus last week and meeting the new players, I think Season 4 could be our best season yet."

Netflix first released "Last Chance U" in 2016 and followed East Mississippi Community College through its first two seasons. The series switched to ICC last year.

The critically-acclaimed series was named "Best Episodic Series" by the International Documentary Association in 2016.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/08/last-chance-u-fourth-season-renewed-independence-community-college-pirates

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

The DA has now dropped the murder charges against both of the brothers.  From the little I read and saw of it, it was a really big leap to charge them with murder when they didn't have any proof that they knew that it was going to happen and neither was directly involved.

The whole thing seems like a bad deal but who knows what all really went on. Flashing the money on Instagram and a few other things made it not look all that great for them. Once they got back in the vehicles and left with the other two, it wasn't going to end well for them whether they knew or not. It's been in the news quite a bit here locally and has been interesting. The older brother seemed to be completely clueless about any of it and still ended up losing his football scholarship and having to leave IU. Isaiah comes across like he has the mentality of a kid in everything that is out there. Then their house burns this spring. It's been a rough year and there is no way Isaiah makes it through his 5 years.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:47 PM, trza-hawk said:

The whole storytelling and cinematic aspect of having the old interview clips where he is saying that without football he would be on the corner getting in trouble and going to jail and then cutting it with the court scene and going to jail was something.

Director used the same technique when JB was talking about his dad's alcoholism while cutting between shots  of his own glass of booze and pics of him and his father. Powerful stuff.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, Pancho Negro said:

Best part of episode 4

Coaches and players: ”fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck”

Camera zooms on school president: “C’mon guys!”

I think that little talk they had sunk in with Coach.

On 8/18/2018 at 4:14 AM, mulletpelini said:

Started watching QB1 instead, much more worth the time.  Douche Martell was perfectly cast.

Holy hell! That whole family. And that creepy aunt that puts her hands all over him. And his sister. 

3 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Holy hell! That whole family. And that creepy aunt that puts her hands all over him. And his sister. 

Yes, that whole family are a bunch weirdos.  Damn parents let the underage kids get tattos and Martel and his sister have the same eyebrows as Chaka from Land of the Lost.

14 hours ago, El Moco said:

Yes, that whole family are a bunch weirdos.  Damn parents let the underage kids get tattos and Martel and his sister have the same eyebrows as Chaka from Land of the Lost.

They are the family of Dragos, that's all I see when I look at them.  Daughter ain't bad, kinda reminds me of Gene Simmons daughter.  That kid is one big douche but damn if he doesn't back up the talk with play on the field.  Hate the kid if you want but all the lil fucker does is win games.  I'm kinda glad he's only 5'9 and he's really insecure about it.  He's got all the makings of a Booger McDaniel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this and am about to be done with episode 4. Holy shit this coach is a fucking tool to the highest degree. In this game against Dodge City, he tried to fight his starting QB and one of his coaches. I have never seen shit like that. I am not a huge Malik fan but he's right. This coach has no idea what he's doing, unorganized and can't call a game. The dude from the previous seasons was also a tool but at least he had control of his team. These dudes have very little chemistry across the board. As his former colleague at Garden City said, he's cool to hang around and shoot the shit with but terrible to work with and has no idea what he's doing. His act was cool the first episode or so but has grown old. I know this shit is edited for Netflix but I have yet to see him say anything positive at all to his players or coaches. He throws them all under the bus at any given time and whines like a fucking baby.

I'll say he relates to his players more than the EMCC coach but has very little coaching ability from what I have seen.

Also read that Bobby Bruce was arrested for robbery earlier this month in his hometown.

Ok well to start episode 5, the coach apologized to his coaches and the players. And took blame. First time I ever seen that from him so far. Still should not be trying to physically fighting your coaches or players in the heat of the moment or not. But I respect him for admitting it at least.

• 1 month later...

The coach was ejected from a game after arguing with the refs, the season is in a total tailspin, and the big name recruits they took with the exposure from the series takes last years "30 out of state kids, 30 knuckleheads" deal to another level.

EDIT: It was Kai Locksley playing qb for Iowa Western last season, he is now at UTEP leading them to endless glory. IWCC might get an episode or half episode feature next season.

Edited by trza-hawk

Saw that the only likeable guy from last season, QB coach Diaz, left after the season and was working at Trader Joe's when Lane Kiffin picked him up as a QC coach. Hope the guy can take advantage of this opportunity, as far as I'm concerned he's practically Mother Theresa for dealing with Henry for a full season and never beating him with a metal pipe. I couldn't do it. 

Saw that the only likeable guy from last season, QB coach Diaz, left after the season and was working at Trader Joe's when Lane Kiffin picked him up as a QC coach. Hope the guy can take advantage of this opportunity, as far as I'm concerned he's practically Mother Theresa for dealing with Henry for a full season and never beating him with a metal pipe. I couldn't do it. 
And he worked for free. Good to hear that he got a shot at a DI school. Props to Joey Freshwater.

I just finished an article from Chronicle of Higher Education written from Independence just after the season was released this summer. The president of the College was planning to use the turnaround of the football program as a way to get a better job, he even wrote it as an accomplishment in his resume when he applied to be a president of a four year college.

Since the football program was invested heavily with the new president, in a handful of teachers have been dismissed and received settlements from the school after their union/educational association asked for them. But that happens at every football school.

The football players interact with the locals at the Walmar when they shop and kids ask the players if they can sell them weed.

One of the things about the contract with Indy and Netflix was that the coach would open up more and spend more time with the production and share personal info. I would guess Buddy didn't give them enough personal stuff to work with or he just got tired of it.

On 10/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, trza-hawk said:

The coach was ejected from a game after arguing with the refs, the season is in a total tailspin, and the big name recruits they took with the exposure from the series takes last years "30 out of state kids, 30 knuckleheads" deal to another level.

Their season is an absolute shit-show and it's going to be glorious to watch.  Netflix has already been reaching out to new jucos for next year and being declined by the few I know they approached. 

• 3 months later...

“Given what has most recently been allowed to transpire, it is clear, that it will be nearly impossible to stay here. More plainly, the Montgomery County Chronicle has greatly diminished my ability to successfully do my job, and has set this football program back significantly, and the cumulative effect of all these detrimental factors I believe clearly constitute a constructive discharge of my employment," Brown said in a statement.

It is, painfully, clear, that Brown has, at best, a 6th grader's, writing ability.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well this ought to make the season that's about to drop a little more interesting.  

http://www.parsonssun.com/sports/article_1cb23fe8-9a0b-11e9-a18f-2769e5bc1d9e.html

INDEPENDENCE — Jason Brown, the former Independence Community College football coach, is facing eight felony counts for allegedly stealing the identity of a lawyer in an attempt to silence local newspapers.

Brown, who gained notoriety for being featured on the Netflix documentary series “Last Chance U,” is charged with four counts of blackmail, four counts of identity theft, all felonies, as well as two counts of criminal false communication, both misdemeanors. The Montgomery County Attorney’s Office filed charges Friday.

According to a story published by the Montgomery County Chronicle, one of the two newspapers allegedly victimized by Brown, the case against Brown results from an investigation into emails sent to the Chronicle as well as the Independence Daily Reporter.

In October 2018, Brown allegedly sent a cease-and-desist email to the Chronicle shortly after the paper published an editorial regarding a fight between the Independence and Garden City football teams. Brown allegedly posed as an attorney in the Cochran Law Firm in California, which was founded by Johnnie Cochran.

In February, the Chronicle received another set of communications purportedly from the attorney regarding the paper’s investigation into Brown’s treatment of a German football player. 

The Chronicle reported that Brown texted the German player, “I am your new Hitler,” which eventually led to Brown’s resignation from the college.

Similar correspondence purportedly from the Cochran firm was sent to the Reporter as well as a former Independence assistant coach.

The Chronicle questioned the authenticity of those emails in February. The weekly newspaper turned the emails over the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department for investigation. 

The charges against Brown, according to the Chronicle, allege that he initiated email communication with the newspapers by impersonating the attorney through a Yahoo! email address that had a similar domain name to the law firm’s. The emails in question were traced to IP addresses on devices belonging to Brown, the Chronicle reported.

Friday’s charges come a day after Independence Community College trustees accepted the resignation of Dan Barwick, the college’s president who was prominently featured on “Last Chance U.” 

The fourth season of “Last Chance U” is set to be released July 19 and will again follow Brown and Independence. It reportedly will include coverage of Brown’s resignation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...