James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy

Michael Knight

Hopefully they get Taika Waititi to replace him

James Gunn, the writer-director of Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise, apologized late Thursday after a series of old (now deleted) tweets resurfaced in which the filmmaker made what he admitted were “offensive” jokes about taboo topics like rape and pedophilia.

https://www.thewrap.com/james-gunn-apologizes-offensive-old-tweets-rape-pedophilia/

Textbook case of being hoisted by your own petard.

The article is a bit lacking, so if you don't know how this all played out it went like this:

Actor Mark Duplass who seems like a legit nice dude tweeted that if any of his liberal friends were interested in getting an honest, reasonable, conservative view they should check out Ben Shapiro.  This obviously led to folks on the Left getting the pitchforks out and demanding Duplass retract his tweet and apologize because Shapiro is supposedly a Nazi, blah blah blah.  Gunn jumps in and tweets to Mark that "No one should follow that asshole, Shapiro.  Even his own mother."  Then some Alt-Righters decided to go tit for tat and exposed Gunn's old tweets, which for some reason that moron didn't fucking delete years ago.

And I'm all for edgy and dark comedy, but goddamn that dude had a LOT of pedo tweets.  

Edited by SpiralOut
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Y'all need to look at his work prior to Guardians. Completely terrible shit was his schtick. Think of it like dead baby jokes. Disney knew what they were getting when they hired him. 

Slither was excellent. 

• Like 2

Internet's written in ink, not pencil.  You post or write stupid things and put it out for public consumption, then you risk the chance you may one day have to be accountable for them, especially in an age of social and political correctness.  What I don't like it how these became publicized and the individual most prominent in bringing them into the public eye.  Dude's a professional troll.  Fuck that guy!

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Surely Disney knew about these when they vetted him back when they wanted him to do the first Guardians.

That's what I am wondering? It's not it took the Hardy Boys to unearth these tweets and his blog. HTF, does your publicist not tell you to delete this crap years ago, or do it themselves?

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

Those aren't jokes.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's done something inappropriate with a child.

10 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah, those tweets are beyond jokes and are veiled confessions. Holy shit.

I think more realistically it points to being abused themselves, and these tweets were an outlet.   Have they ever done anything inappropriate with a child?  Who knows?

Edited by PRONG HORN
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The Patton Oswalt outrage is fucking hilarious. In case anyone wants context for his tweets: http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/patton-oswalt-is-an-excellent-twitter-troll.html

yet he came out swinging today in defense of Gunn and attacking the person who pointed all of Gunns pedo tweets, fuck him and the rest of hollyweird who knowingly hide this shit, hope they rot in hell

• Like 1

Those tweets were horrible. But they need to figure out a line between #metoo and comedy in all it's forms. The 1st Amendment still exists.

The 1st amendment protects citizens from government restrictions. It doesn’t shield citizens from private repercussions.
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I think more realistically it points to being abused themselves, and these tweets were an outlet.   Have they ever done anything inappropriate with a child?  Who knows?

Maybe both.  Often times abuse victims end up as abusers

8 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Knowingly hide what shit?  Bad and/or dark and edgy jokes?  You're really buying into it?  

Dimwjuu_X0_AA58pr.jpg

406.cartman.joins_.NAMBLA-1.jpg

buying into it? seriously

go google corey feldman and haim, elijah wood molly ringwald and several others all have hinted at sexual abuse of under aged actors in hollywood by directors/producers and others in power. This is not new news ...

Hollywood is a fucked up a place. I’m not sure that is newsworthy at this point.

Personally, I don’t find dark comedy funny. I think it’s creepy as shit and says something about those that tell the jokes and those that find them amusing. However, I’m not sure how you can separate these tweets from that. Is there some imaginary line in the sand that they shouldn’t have crossed? I’ve seen dead baby jokes on this website, so where exactly is the line? Jumping from tweets to calling someone a child molester is also a bit of a stretch. We’re not calling the guy that makes death jokes a murderer.

People forget most of those over the line shocking jokes were pretty commonplace on the internet 10 years ago. The "pc culture is ruining america" crowd are the same people who've weaponized it and we keep falling for it
I don't even want to know what kind of bullshit sites you were visiting where pedo jokes are common place.

17 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:25 PM, Michael Knight said:
People forget most of those over the line shocking jokes were pretty commonplace on the internet 10 years ago. The "pc culture is ruining america" crowd are the same people who've weaponized it and we keep falling for it

I don't even want to know what kind of bullshit sites you were visiting where pedo jokes are common place.

I think it was called Shaggy Bevo. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2018 at 4:21 AM, Smax said:

yet he came out swinging today in defense of Gunn and attacking the person who pointed all of Gunns pedo tweets, fuck him and the rest of hollyweird who knowingly hide this shit, hope they rot in hell

Agreed.  I don't care who is doing the digging either.  Expose this shit.

Sooner or later people are going to figure out that rape and pedophilia jokes are off limits as are comments which could be deemed as hateful toward a certain segment of the population with only some leeway if you are seen as a comedian. That's just the way things are now. People will learn to adapt or else face the full fury of the internet mob. The rules are kind of well known at this point though and can be enforced retroactively. So people need to learn how to cover their tracks better. Having said that, I can do without any more mcu movies directed by James Gunn. The last one was a cgi shit fest imho.

Edited by Surlybastard

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Those Michael Ian Black tweets are all sorts of fucked up.  

And it's not like he's not had some creeper in him for a while now.  Can't remember if it was VH1's 'I love the 80's' or '90's' but I remember him talking about a younger actor on there and saying "I'll be your Chickenhawk tonight" in a really funny, yet creepy voice.  Weird

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Those Michael Ian Black tweets are all sorts of fucked up.  

My bigger issue with them is that they're not funny. They're not even vaguely humorous and nothing that guy does has ever even made me smirk. I can't figure out why he's famous, unless it is some sort of elaborate troll as a performance artist. 

There has never been a starting point in my life, not as a kid and certainly not since, in which making jokes about pedophilia or child abuse has been tolerated at any level. I've never seen a real life conversation about this stuff happen with humor, or where anyone making light of it wasn't called out for doing so. It's been taboo as long as I have been alive, except on the Internet, or via fucked-up shitbags masquerading as comedians or Hollywood types. I saw this story and thought it sounded like more SJW bullshit until I saw the tweets in question and that's when I thought "yeah, fuck him". I don't give a single shit what Dave Bautista or any other equivocating bitch for Gunn wants to say otherwise. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 10:30 AM, CurlyDumps said:

The problem with most of the tweets is they aren’t funny.  Shocking - the guy who directed those overrated piece of shit GotG movies is a hack who can’t even craft a clever tweet.

This is how you do a hot take. Well done. 

• Like 1