James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy

Michael Knight

Which is why I don't understand why anyone famous does social media.  They are risking their livelihood.  A drunk post, a bad joke or words typed in anger can end your career.
Because they crave the attention. It's a drug.

5 hours ago, Deej said:
7 hours ago, kevwun said:
Which is why I don't understand why anyone famous does social media.  They are risking their livelihood.  A drunk post, a bad joke or words typed in anger can end your career.

Because they crave the attention. It's a drug.

Yep. That crazy doctor that sued Trump for blocking him on twitter would probably off himself if he had several thousand less twitter followers.

As far as the pedo jokes, I think with there being a very real problem with it in Hollywood and it being exposed almost weekly, I think people are tired of the sweeping it under the rug with shitty non-funny jokes.

Edited by HtownHorn

I've never seen the GotG movies and didn't know who James Gunn is. Just looked at his IMDB list and I haven't seen anything he's done. Don't really care for that style of humor, rape jokes, pedo jokes, etc.

All of that being said, this seems like a lot of faux outrage because Hollywood, comedians, the internet, Twitter, and this very website are well known for their dark and often inappropriate sense of humor. This site (and the former site) have a long history of making jokes out of otherwise inappropriate things. A tragedy occurs and people line up to make puns about it. The real life rape (Baylor, Cosby, Weinstein, etc) and pedo (Penn State) situations have been followed by countless jokes using those entities as punchlines. That isn't exclusive to this site by any means. I feel like that's the internet in general and we all become desensitized to it, whether that is right or wrong.

Disney can fire someone over twitter stuff if they feel like the public backlash would hurt their bottom line. I fully get that and don't blame them one bit. I don't necessarily understand where the average person draws the line for what they consider funny vs. tolerable vs. ethically wrong. Seems like everyone tolerates this stuff right up until someone crosses a political line or whatever, then that person is suddenly ostracized. It's not like these particular Twitter comments were ever hidden from view.

it's also interesting to see how the general public reacts to certain individuals when they get in trouble.

i know people have said they won't watch kevin spacey movies anymore.  i get that.  or won't watch louis ck stand-ups.  his was way more weird than evil/illegal, but sure, why not.  but then ask if they'll watch a movie produced by weinstein (arguably the biggest monster of them all), and the answers are mixed.  maybe they'll watch if they don't realize, or don't have to look at the person?  his name is on 300+ movies.  many of which he didn't have anything to do with personally.

in gunn's case, i would think by the time it came out, most people wouldn't care if his name was on it or not.  i highly doubt there would be enough people boycotting the film to affect the gross of the movie.  disney made a proactive move, and they've got bigger things to worry about.  the real question i guess is whether the movie will suffer because of a different, new director, causing the gross to be lower after shitty word of mouth.  i would think that's just as likely.

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It's getting ridiculous. A friend of a friend who is 39 and dating a 23 year old was accosted at a restaurant recently by some drunk asshole calling him a pedophile. Completely ruined their ten year anniversary.

This is how it's done, folks.  

The real lesson is that edgy humor doesn't translate to social media well. If you are a stand up comic making edgy jokes people will generally come to see you expecting them and be ok with it. If you are just randomly saying edgy shit to try and get a laugh or rise out of people on your social media wall then expect to get crucified for it you are even semi famous. Honestly anyone over the age of 20 or 25 should know better.

• Like 1

Would sure like this to turn itself around.  I do love hearing the overstated rumors of a cast backlash/boycott, but we all know actors are a dime a dozen in Hollywood and would have no power over an entity like the Mouse.  I'll keep crossing my fingers that this is all somehow a major farce to build up vol.3.

• 3 weeks later...

The production of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is being put on hold for the time being as Marvel and Disney regroup on the project, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Sources say that crewmembers, which is, at this stage, a small group that was prepping for preproduction, are being dismissed and are free to look for new work.

Marvel and Disney are taking a measured approach in their search for a filmmaker — one source says that Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi recently had a meeting with Marvel, but it is unclear what project was discussed — and with good reason.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/guardians-galaxy-3-production-hold-james-gunn-firing-1137400

James Gunn may have been fired by Walt Disney Studios from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, but many in Hollywood are looking to work with the controversial filmmaker.

Gunn, who was fired July 20 after past offensive tweets came to light, has been approached by several top producers and executives at major studios dangling big film projects, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-demand-major-studio-movies-disney-firing-1133161

On 7/27/2018 at 7:39 AM, Buzzrock said:

Well yeah, we only want funny well-written pedo jokes.

Ask and you shall receive.  Sarah Silverman and Patton Oswalt are at the top of their pedo joke game

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/d5tkmb/the-sarah-silverman-program-sarah-s-good-van

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/6gv3fq/the-sarah-silverman-program-creepy-van-guy

• 6 months later...

He never was. He just told bad jokes 8 years ago that dickheads that hated his politics used to get him fired by Disney. Thankfully, Disney finally came to their senses and stopped giving in to terrorists. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2