What podcasts are you listening to?

Spur08

I like to break up my work day by listening to some podcasts as music gets old after a period of time.  My usual go-tos are "Radical Personal Finance" and "The Order of Man" on Spotify.  Do y'all have any recommendations on some good podcasts?

• 1 year later...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/daddy-speaks/id1418960261?i=1000474931396

say what you want about Dave Portnoy, and/or how ridiculous this podcast was, it was the biggest female podcast in the industry. Dave explains the falling out, which turned into a pretty big story that the NY Post did a story on. Very interesting listen, even though most would have no interest in the actual podcast. It’s a pretty funny story. He does a great job of telling the story IMO.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

joe rogan - for when he has scientists and other interesting guests on.  the comedian-friends type episodes is zzzzzz bro-chat.

tim ferris - only when he has good guests on, same as above.  otherwise this dude sounds like he sniffs his own fart - just nauseatingly insufferable.

carmudgeon show (jason camissa) - very very good if you like cars.

dave chang show - if you like chef/food talk, its enjoyable. 

jj reddick - very chill.  almost strange to hear how "normal" and identifiable some of the athletes are.

cyclingtips podcast - good if youre into cycling

infinite monkey cage (brian greene) - good fun llighthearted take on science. 

a bunch of odd bloomberg ones like Bloomberg P&L, Bloomberg Gameplan, Bloomberg Intelligence, Bloomberg Businessweek.... they publish 100s of podcasts and its a bit confusing

Onto the podcasts to ignore.  Most of these mickey-mouse ones like NPR's Planet Money, The Indicator, How I Built This, From Scratch... absolutely inane reader's digest type dialogue.  Stuff You Should Know and other like-ones sound exactly like 2 dudes basically sharing what they read from wikipedia.  Turrible.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

During the Majors, I like to listen to THE TENNIS PODCAST. (You'll never guess what it's about.)

This evening I listened to the SURLY podcast while knocking out 6+ miles, but I have to say that when I listen to a podcast, I want it to stick to the subject at hand. I go off on enough tangents just trying to tell a story myself, I don't want a podcast to do it as well.

I occasionally listen to:

-(THE?) COLLEGE FOOTBALL DAILY (when I think that there is something worth listening for)
-TOTAL SOCCER SHOW (before/after USMNT matches)
-AROUND NFL (before my Fantasy Football draft)

Never been into podcasts before, but recently gave it a try when I saw one that looked good.

This Is Important - it’s basically the guys from Workaholics shooting the shit together for an hour. Probably 25 episodes so far and counting. I think it reminds me of back when you could hang out with friends in normal times which is why I’m enjoying it so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have too damn many in my rotation.

- Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend
- The Czabecast
- Making Sense with Sam Harris
- Republicans Defeating Trump (The Lincoln Project)
- Smartless (Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, Wil Arnett)
- War Room (James Carville, Al Hunt)
- The Daily (NY Times)
- Up First (NPR)
- Today in Focus (The Guardian)
- SurlyHorns
- Yahoo Sports College (Pat Forde, Dan Wetzel)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

What app does everyone use for podcasts? I've been using Google Podcast for the past couple of years and have loved it, but that is going away at the end of the month. Google is hoping to funnel everyone toward YouTube Music, but I'd like something that automatically downloads new episodes and hides episodes after they've been listened to. I can't stand seeing 735 episodes sitting there and having to try and remember if I've already listened to them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Burt said:

What app does everyone use for podcasts? I've been using Google Podcast for the past couple of years and have loved it, but that is going away at the end of the month. Google is hoping to funnel everyone toward YouTube Music, but I'd like something that automatically downloads new episodes and hides episodes after they've been listened to. I can't stand seeing 735 episodes sitting there and having to try and remember if I've already listened to them. 

This. Plus, I don't want to fuck with my Youtube Music algorithm, which I have dialed in right now.

Posted (edited)

I'm still on Podcast Addict (Android) which works for me.

Lately:

The Jeff Gerstmann Show, Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod, & Nextlander: I'm not a huge video game guy, but I really enjoy listening to these three podcasts as they're full of old school video game journalists who are in their mid to late 40s now and have similar opinions on life that I do which makes for a good time. Jeff is also a hilarious person in general in that he fills 3hours a week talking to himself about video games. Jeff is also ranking every single NES game on Twitch/Youtube on Friday nights which is fun.

Pod Save America - It is election season after all and I like these dudes.

The Gilded Age and Progressive Era - Trade podcast for the Society of Historians of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era. It deals a lot in pop history so anyone can listen, but it does get in the weeds sometimes.

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Spotify has been my go-to for the past couple years.

I started out with the free version of Spotify, but it quickly proved it's worth to me. I have Spotify on my Garmin Watch for runs without the phone, on the phone, on the computer, and on the Google (Nest) Speakers.  Other than a stray music video or two on YouTube, Spotify is now the source of 99% of my music and 100% of my podcasts. 

My latest podcast binge kick is science based exercise shows: 

• RP Strength
  • Barbell Medicine
  • The Drive
  • Stronger by Science
  • More Plates More Dates

All-In with Chamath, Jason, Sacks & Friedberg

Latent Space: The AI Engineer Podcast

Working Code (Shout out to my boy Ben Nadel--we collab'd in the past)

Peter Schiff (because I enjoy Fed rants)

JRE

Hidden Forces with Demetri (paid sub)

48 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I'm still on Podcast Addict (Android) which works for me.

Lately:

The Jeff Gerstmann Show, Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod, & Nextlander: I'm not a huge video game guy, but I really enjoy listening to these three podcasts as they're full of old school video game journalists who are in their mid to late 40s now and have similar opinions on life that I do which makes for a good time. Jeff is also a hilarious person in general in that he fills 3hours a week talking to himself about video games. Jeff is also ranking every single NES game on Twitch/Youtube on Friday nights which is fun.

Pod Save America - It is election season after all and I like these dudes.

The Gilded Age and Progressive Era - Trade podcast for the Society of Historians of the Gilded Age and Progressive Era. It deals a lot in pop history so anyone can listen, but it does get in the weeds sometimes.

Check out adding Remap Radio if you're into longtime videogame industry folks. It's where Patrick Klepek and the ex Vice Waypoint gang went. And if you're a Star Wars nerd, definitely check out A More Civilized Age

• Hook 'Em 1