Aquaman

Patrick Bateman

On 7/21/2018 at 2:43 PM, Tom said:

I might watch this two years from now on HBO if reviews are good.  DC isn't getting a penny from me until they prove they can make a movie.

This in a nut shell. Never read comics growing up. That said, I've been impressed with just about everything Marvel has put out on screen. I can hardly say the same for DC. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

DC really, really needs this to hit...... They have a likeable star and solid cast, but can a dude who's best claim to fame is making car chase movies re-invigorate not only a character is who often maligned but a flailing movie company?

I think James Wan is more known for Saw and Insidious than he is for Furious 7. If the studio lets him make his movie, it should be good. That's a big if though. 

On 8/13/2018 at 10:30 AM, Smax said:

I cant understand why DC is having such a hard time developing good stories for these characters

Zach Snyder (Man of Steel, Watchmen) basically created the DCEU (with David Goyer who wrote Man of Steel/Batman vs Superman).

Look at 300 and Watchmen (both directed by him) for the tone he likes.  He is not a fan of Superman - he wanted the acclaim and awards that Nolan had with the Dark Knight trilogy, and he wanted to do dark Batman movies (I think he was the root of doing R-Rated Batman movies).

But WB decided they wanted to jump right into the Avengers rather than the solo outings, and oh hey, that Nolan fellow is done with superhero movies for a while, but didn't we have somebody make a Superman movie?

The blame is squarely with WB executives who were impatient.

• 1 month later...

Individual parts look good, but holy shit, the editing of that trailer is atrocious.   In general, it jumps around too much, but in particular, the chase scene and the desert temple scenes were way too long for a trailer, because they throw off the other scenes.  Also, it feels like two separate movies, one with a war with Arm, and the other with Black Manta.

I hope Marvel pays their trailer editors well, because if I were DC right now, I'd be throwing a shitload of money at them.

I am very impressed with Black Manta.  I wondered if he'd translate well to the big screen, and he did.  CGI did not impress me much though.

Edit: Apparently this is the sizzle reel from Comic Con, which explains the really long scenes and the lack of direction for the trailer.  Don't know why WB didn't have their trailer folks cut a few minutes out and add a few more things in to get a proper flow.

Edited by atomheartbevo

I think it looks like it's going to be pretty damn good.

Of course it could just look like that and be shit, but we'll see.

Also, having a bunch of CGI doesn't make it a crap fest.  All the Marvel films and Wonder Woman had CGI and they're all differing levels of good.

I never thought I'd say this, but looks pretty good. For this type of movie, you just have to accept Avatar levels of CGI. The Aquaman character seems pretty derivative of Thor, and it looks like DC is moving away from the dark, dark stuff, which they needed to do. 

I'll give it a shot, if reviews aren't horribad. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, CooterBrown said:

5 minutes extended trailer of this CGI crap fest.

Has a feel similar to Wonder Woman before they left Thermopile.  DC can't "out-Marvel" Marvel, so they ought not try.  Rather, tip the needle a bit away from "real" and towards "comic book."  I'll allow it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...