Rugby World Cup 7s

A-Tex Devil

7s is mainly backs, and I like Union better. But Perry Baker is fun to watch (except when he does stupid shit like that).

Edit: Stupid shit like that being giving up a penalty try with a ball slap. 

Edit2: And that was ridiculously stupid. Take your 6th place trophy (best finish ever btw) and be happy I guess

Edited by ftf82

2 hours ago, ftf82 said:

7s is mainly backs, and I like Union better. But Perry Baker is fun to watch (except when he does stupid shit like that).

Edit: Stupid shit like that being giving up a penalty try with a ball slap. 

Edit2: And that was ridiculously stupid. Take your 6th place trophy (best finish ever btw) and be happy I guess

I don’t watch 7s but just out of curiosity is carlin isles still running past people?

22 hours ago, futureman said:

7s is a gimmick game.  like 7 on 7 football.  ridiculous that it’s in the olympics.  watch union if you can, league if you must.  7s is shit. 

22 hours ago, futureman said:

7s is what you play in the off season to stay in shape. 

2 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

I love 7s. I love all rugby, but 7s is a wide-open, free-flowing style of play, that makes it accessible to the casual fan. The speed of the games is also a plus for the casual viewer; I get why they made it the Olympic sport.

TRANSLATION: "7s is a gateway drug to rugby union."

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t watch 7s but just out of curiosity is Carlin Isles still running past people?

Affirmative.

He came in late in the US' first consolation bracket match vs some country or another today and got the ball on the wing and kind of went "Buh-bye" down the left sideline.

• 8 months later...
9 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I played 06-07 for Plano. At that time Lake Highlands were the dominate team in the state. I'm curious if that's the case or if the league still exists. 

I had some buddies that played high school in austin but would’ve been 2000-2002ish.  I first played at UT and then for the quins for a year and then for the blacks for about five.  you ever play past HS?  we could’ve crossed paths.  

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

I had some buddies that played high school in austin but would’ve been 2000-2002ish.  I first played at UT and then for the quins for a year and then for the blacks for about five.  you ever play past HS?  we could’ve crossed paths.  

I only played my last two years of high school.  At UT I went to a few practices my freshman year but never joined the team. 

Quins is what I meant by Lake Highlands. They were badass back then. Class above everybody in the state. Is that still the case?

7 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I only played my last two years of high school.  At UT I went to a few practices my freshman year but never joined the team. 

Quins is what I meant by Lake Highlands. They were badass back then. Class above everybody in the state. Is that still the case?

no.  engelbrecht left to coach UNT several years ago but the team was already going downhill.  after he left they haven’t been good.  the days you are talking about the quins had jason engelbrecht (coach’s son) who was an undersized but vicious flanker who went to SA and played for the natal sharks.  also jason rogers at lock/8 who had caps for the USA in the world cup.  and other high profile imports on a yearly basis.  it’s not like that anymore at all.  engelbrecht vastly improved UNT rugby though.  he’s a good coach. 

41 minutes ago, futureman said:

no.  engelbrecht left to coach UNT several years ago but the team was already going downhill.  after he left they haven’t been good.  the days you are talking about the quins had jason engelbrecht (coach’s son) who was an undersized but vicious flanker who went to SA and played for the natal sharks.  also jason rogers at lock/8 who had caps for the USA in the world cup.  and other high profile imports on a yearly basis.  it’s not like that anymore at all.  engelbrecht vastly improved UNT rugby though.  he’s a good coach. 

Damn that sucks to hear. Our coach Nick Marketos passed away a few years ago. He had so much respect for the Quins and was trying to develop Plano rugby into something similar. Engelbrecht should have planned for a successor. You can't let an institution like that fall off. How was your experience at UT?

Edited by Bruh Man

16 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Damn that sucks to hear. Our coach Nick Marketos passed away a few years ago. He had so much respect for the Quins and was trying to develop Plano rugby into something similar. Engelbrecht should have planned for a successor. You can't let an institution like that fall off. How was your experience at UT?

we were good when I was there.  I mean our best year we won the TRU, beat aggy 30-0 at their field, on their parents’ weekend, and one of our kiwi imports streaked the field toward the end and horrified all the old folk.  it was a hell of a time to be alive.  

but even dominating the TRU didn’t keep us from losing to BYU and Cal by a combined score of 168-5.  but that’s life. 

• Like 1