Port Aransas

Paco

55 minutes ago, justhookit said:

There are only about 15 different bars in Port A. Only an aggy would suggest somewhere 20 miles away.

I live on N Padre...

And I used to go to Port A all the time before I moved here.

There wasn't any really great place to watch games in Port A.  I went to Stingrays, but it was suboptimal...

When I moved here last year, I literally went to every single place on the island that served beer and had TVs to figure out the best game watching place.  Costa Sur was second, only because I like to drink Shiner and they didn't have it on tap.  Otherwise, it would be #1 on NPI.

And both Boathouse and Costa Sur are better than any place I went to in Port A...may have changed after Harvey, though.

Btw, if you come down here, I'll buy you a beer, just because...

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ag with kids said:

I live on N Padre...

There wasn't any really great place to watch games in Port A.  I went to Stingrays, but it was suboptimal...

When I moved here last year, I literally went to every single place on the island that served beer and had TVs to figure out the best game watching place.  Costa Sur was second, only because I like to drink Shiner and they didn't have it on tap.  Otherwise, it would be #1 on NPI.

And both Boathouse and Costa Sur are better than any place I went to in Port A...may have changed after Harvey, though.

Nah, you are not wrong at all about the limited/poor choices for game watching here. I just had to say it. I generally watch games at home if it’s a big game, unfortunately that’s still not an option as I’m still building.Not too long after Harvey a lot of us were staying over on N Padre and I’ve watched a game at Stingrays. It was ok.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Nah, you are not wrong at all about the limited/poor choices for game watching here. I just had to say it. I generally watch games at home if it’s a big game, unfortunately that’s still not an option as I’m still building.Not too long after Harvey a lot of us were staying over on N Padre and I’ve watched a game at Stingrays. It was ok.

No problem...I expect to catch shit here...I'll live.🤙

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I live on N Padre...

Is Scuttlebutt’s still a cool place on North Padre?

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Scuttlebutt's is great.  It's my regular watering hole.  But, it's not the best place to watch football...TVs are too high up.  You'll pull a neck muscle by the 4th Q...

Yeah, I remember a few football Sundays doing just that. 

Glad to see they’re doing well, though. Met my wife there when they first opened. Proposed to her there 18 months later.  They always treated us like family. 

1 hour ago, After irth said:

Yeah, I remember a few football Sundays doing just that. 

Glad to see they’re doing well, though. Met my wife there when they first opened. Proposed to her there 18 months later.  They always treated us like family. 

They’ve got a great happy hour. Little known fact - Scuttlebutt’s actually started here in Port A. It was called Hook’s and was in the building that Giggity’s is in now. There used to be a lot of cocaine flowing thru that place. Hopefully they’ve cleaned it up. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, justhookit said:

They’ve got a great happy hour. Little known fact - Scuttlebutt’s actually started here in Port A. It was called Hook’s and was in the building that Giggity’s is in now. There used to be a lot of cocaine flowing thru that place. Hopefully they’ve cleaned it up. 

I've never seen any coke in Scuttlebutt's and I've spent a lot of time there.  The owner is a pretty good guy and seems to keep the place running well.

You're right about the HH.  Not just on drinks, but half price oysters/shrimp/crab/mussels/sushi.  Really great deal.

1 minute ago, Ag with kids said:

I've never seen any coke in Scuttlebutt's and I've spent a lot of time there.  The owner is a pretty good guy and seems to keep the place running well.

You're right about the HH.  Not just on drinks, but half price oysters/shrimp/crab/mussels/sushi.  Really great deal.

David and Kim? Are they still married? Yeah I think part of the move out of here was to get cleaned up.

my girlfriend loves their sushi so we do that for HH. I just stick with their tuna, rare, on that sizzling skillet. Damn it’s good.

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

David and Kim? Are they still married? Yeah I think part of the move out of here was to get cleaned up.

my girlfriend loves their sushi so we do that for HH. I just stick with their tuna, rare, on that sizzling skillet. Damn it’s good.

Yep.  That's them.  I've never met her, but he's a good guy.  And that tuna steak is awesome...

I'm on a Keto diet right now so I can't do the sushi, but the sushi is pretty good.  And the oysters are always legit.  They also have these crackers that they serve with them that are crazy good (wish  I could eat them..fucking diet)

On 9/17/2019 at 10:21 PM, justhookit said:

@T-shirt SipStingrays is actually a sports bar but they somehow fucked it up so bad that really the only good view of any tv is by sitting at the bar. And forget about sound. It will also likely be packed so get there early if you go.

also, not much has changed since August 30

Welp never mind. Watching at salty dog now. Great tv and we have sound. Need to sit at the bar though 

We went to the beach all day Saturday without a plan for lunch. Right around the time we started getting hungry, a cholo looking dude walks up and asks if we wanted to buy tamales. Being the fat man that I am, I bought a dozen each of spicy pork and brisket. I don’t know if it was the long hot day or the copious amounts of beer we drank but that was some amazing stuff. My wife that really doesn’t like them ended up eating about 5. So if anyone sees Saint Cholo Tamale walking down the beach in Port A make sure to buy a dozen or so. You won’t regret it. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, housious said:

How was the golf course? I've always been tempted to play there, but I have a high ball flight and it's always windy as hell. So I end up drinking on the beach instead. 

It is in great shape however the hurricane took its toll on a lot of it. It used to be a nice 18 hole course designed by Arnold Palmer and it was pretty tough with the wind.

Now it is only 9 holes plus three short par 3's. It is also pretty short. It is fun to play however and the carts have Bluetooth speakers which is cool.

The development around it is crap, and things aren’t looking any better in the near future. It’s much more likely to go bankrupt, again, before anything else happens. On the other hand it’s a McCombs property so who knows they’ve got money to burn. Last I heard they were shooting for 30? holes. Bobby Patton (co-owner of the LA Dodgers) who bought Island Moorings might be someone who would take a look at it down the road.

Port A is getting ready to change, fast. They’ve just started with the tear down of Fisherman’s Wharf and a new marina is going in there with supposedly a restaurant with 300 seats. The owners also bought the entire strip center where Giggity’s is AND the Bernie’s, Flats, Shorty’s strip. They’ve all got 3 years and then they are gone or at least will have to move into the new space of whatever they build there. If any of y’all are familiar with Orange Beach and the Wharf marina/development there I’m hoping for something like that but not holding my breath.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

The development around it is crap, and things aren’t looking any better in the near future. It’s much more likely to go bankrupt, again, before anything else happens. On the other hand it’s a McCombs property so who knows they’ve got money to burn. Last I heard they were shooting for 30? holes. Bobby Patton (co-owner of the LA Dodgers) who bought Island Moorings might be someone who would take a look at it down the road.

Port A is getting ready to change, fast. They’ve just started with the tear down of Fisherman’s Wharf and a new marina is going in there with supposedly a restaurant with 300 seats. The owners also bought the entire strip center where Giggity’s is AND the Bernie’s, Flats, Shorty’s strip. They’ve all got 3 years and then they are gone or at least will have to move into the new space of whatever they build there. If any of y’all are familiar with Orange Beach and the Wharf marina/development there I’m hoping for something like that but not holding my breath.

They're going to get rid of Shorty's?

Well, THAT sucks...

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a long weekend stay in Port A. We stayed at the Village Walk condos as one of my buddies has a place there.  There were 21 of us, so some other families rented other condos in the neighborhood.  The weather was a bit chilly, but the water was still warm enough for the kids to play all day.  We only went out twice for dinner.  Friday night we went to Kody's which kind of seems like a dive bar that also serves food.  It was ok and they had a little putt putt course for the kids which was nice.  The place smelled like cigarettes though and the food was average.  Last night we went to the Crazy Cajun which was pretty good.  We got the "Hungry Cajun" which is a boil of shrimp, crab legs, potatoes, corn, and sausage that they just dump on the table.  It was pretty damn good.  The shrimp were huge.  We would definitely go back there.  The area around Crazy Cajun seems to have rebounded pretty nicely.  There were a bunch of restaurants nearby and they were all packed.  It was a great weekend to be at the beach. Imo, October is the best month to be there.  The weather isn't too hot, but the water is still warm enough to play in and not freeze. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

They aren’t restoring it. It was a really fun layout pre Harvey, with some really good holes, but it’s just routed to be playable now.

That is too bad but it is still a nice little course that you can almost play like the guy in the Coors Light commercial with a beer in one hand and the club in the other.

The Crazy Cajun that I mentioned above can easily handle 20 people. It’s a seafood boil that they dump on the table, but it’s pretty damn good.

Edit: to add, we had 21 in our group and it wasn’t a problem. I would just call them ahead of time to give them a heads up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

What’s a good place for about 20 people for lunch on a Sunday?  Everything I can think of that I would like to eat at is too small.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

The Crazy Cajun that I mentioned above can easily handle 20 people. It’s a seafood boil that they dump on the table, but it’s pretty damn good.

Edit: to add, we had 21 in our group and it wasn’t a problem. I would just call them ahead of time to give them a heads up.

They aren’t open for lunch. 

20 is a really big group for anywhere on this island. Virginia’s and possibly Kody’s would be ok.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 8:12 PM, Hate said:

Friday night we went to Kody's which kind of seems like a dive bar that also serves food.  It was ok and they had a little putt putt course for the kids which was nice.  The place smelled like cigarettes though and the food was average.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I would go to Kody's.

When I have eaten there the food has been damn good and the onion rings are great too.

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

They aren’t open for lunch. 

20 is a really big group for anywhere on this island. Virginia’s and possibly Kody’s would be ok.

I'd rather eat in the cigarette smoke at Kody's than eat anything Virginia's has to offer. It's a shame, as Virginia's has a great location. 

4 hours ago, housious said:

I'd rather eat in the cigarette smoke at Kody's than eat anything Virginia's has to offer. It's a shame, as Virginia's has a great location. 

The burger at Virginia’s is surprisingly good. They also have the seafood boil that the crazy Cajun has and it’s better. But those are the only 2 things on the menu that I will order. You can’t get me to eat at Cajun. Kody’s fried oysters and shrimp, mussels diablo, ribeye, and the garlic fish are all great.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, Ten Bears said:

So same as it ever was lol.  How did that shack stand a bullseye from a Cat 4 storm?  Did they paint it blue before the storm hit?

The places on the beach were fine other than the condos which were old and mostly had flat roofs. Harvey came in on the channel side and fucked up everything over there.

• 2 weeks later...