Port Aransas

Paco

35 minutes ago, horn4life said:

We really started the tradition simply as taking my then 1 and 4 year old to OU simply wasn't the choice we wanted to make.  The great thing is that even if the weather isn't 100% you still get an all day party with the game.  Back then we used to stay out at the Sea Gull condos.  I would drive the truck around at dawn to fish and the wife and kids would come down when  they got up and going.  I would pretty much stay out all day on the beach and they would go take a nap and come back down when it was cooler.  That's when I first started surf fishing. The one thing that kept me going to Sea Gull is the view and the fact they sold ice in the lobby.  The ice was a very big deal as otherwise it was a several mile drive to grab ice, and ice is perhaps the primary necessity for me to enjoy the beach, as beverages are a necessity. 😉 

The great thing about the Fall, is the reds are all over the place in the surf and it's so exciting for the kids to see a big old red come out of the water for the first time.  

utee 94 -  Hopefully they will allow driving/camping on the beach by then.  If not take a good look at Seagull or maybe Channelview if fishing is a priority.

Thanks-- we're staying at On The Beach RV resort, where we've stayed before.  Easy walk to the beach so no need to drive anywhere.  I'm not much of a fisherman, we'll mostly just hang out by ourselves on the beach and build sand castles and crap.  Easy enough to do whilst distanced from others. I always like hitting a restaurant or two when in town but if things are shut-down then we'll also just bring in our own food and cook at the camper. 

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thanks-- we're staying at On The Beach RV resort, where we've stayed before.  Easy walk to the beach so no need to drive anywhere.  I'm not much of a fisherman, we'll mostly just hang out by ourselves on the beach and build sand castles and crap.  Easy enough to do whilst distanced from others. I always like hitting a restaurant or two when in town but if things are shut-down then we'll also just bring in our own food and cook at the camper. 

Restaurants are a shitshow right now. Unless things change you do not want to go. Packed, no masks, zero social distancing. I haven’t been inside one since late March and I freaking love to eat out.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Restaurants are a shitshow right now. Unless things change you do not want to go. Packed, no masks, zero social distancing. I haven’t been inside one since late March and I freaking love to eat out.

No worries, it's actually much simpler (and cheaper) for me to cook and eat in my own RV, than it is to go out. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

That place has been there a long time.  We stayed there back in the late '70's, early '80's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Storm really fucked up Bob Hall...

Beach is open over by Windward and I heard one other place, but I think they're really restricting folks from getting around the pier.   It'll be closed awhile I think until they can do a full structural analysis on it.  

My kids went out earlier and said the beach was covered with crap and the water also had tons of debris in it too.

We've got some of our drones going up this week to help the county assess the damage.  I'm not on the list of required personnel but I may bug my boss so I can go out and play, too...

IMG_2817.thumb.jpeg.88efe33ba186008c3206517fc79300ad.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, justhookit said:

Damn that would have sucked. Just saw on the news that our highest recorded wind was 68. Corpus was 66 but I think that was at the airport. I’m sure y’all were higher out on NPI

It was a sweaty and sleepless night, that's for sure.

Winds weren't bad all day.  We were inside and out all day long.  Even had people swimming in the pool.

It was that shit at the end that was ugly.  Kind of caught me by surprise...but, then, this is my first hurricane.

We went early to La Playa, half way through our meal I heard it was a two hour wait. they did an awesome job with the fish we caught, btw. 

Ordered from Irie's by 11:30 for pick up. For take out sushi, we hit up Dave at Blue Water Cowboy.

We really started the tradition simply as taking my then 1 and 4 year old to OU simply wasn't the choice we wanted to make. l

Username does not check out.

We just cancelled our Baton Rouge airbnb and booked a house in Port A for what would've been LSU weekend. I expect crowds but I'm hoping that it won't be totally overwhelming with labor day having just psssed. Just planning on drinking on the golf course, beach, and deck. No restaurants (maybe one pickup order) or stores or anything.

21 hours ago, dmtx said:

We went early to La Playa, half way through our meal I heard it was a two hour wait. they did an awesome job with the fish we caught, btw. 

We took some there last time I was down and it was probably the best blackened fish I’ve ever had, great job.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/25/2020 at 9:53 AM, justhookit said:

Shouldn’t change much at all. The biggest problem would be if y’all were going to be targeting tuna behind shrimp boats. Those fish will be scattered out a little because the shrimpers had to go in to port and won’t be back out for a day or two.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:18 PM, Teebox said:

Have plans to go fishing inshore next Friday and offshore next Saturday. This will be cleared by then but any idea if hurts fishing prospects?

Well the storm was stronger than everyone expected. I still think offshore should be fine, but the inshore bays are still really dirty. Haven’t heard anything about the fishing.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:18 PM, Teebox said:

Have plans to go fishing inshore next Friday and offshore next Saturday. This will be cleared by then but any idea if hurts fishing prospects?

And talked to a friend of mine that runs some charters. Bay guys are doing ok but struggling. Offshore less than 30 miles is bad as of yesterday. Outside that it’s ok. Who are you going with? If it’s a 12 hour offshore trip you’re likely fine. If it were me and I know it’s very short notice but I would reschedule. Or at least try and ask to see what they caught the day before.

Edited by justhookit

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

If you choose to postpone, try to make them refund you. They’ve got waiting lists.

Do you have any recs for offshore charters?  Nothing too far, like a 100+ mile tuna trip, but someone who stays within 50 or 60 miles.

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Do you have any recs for offshore charters?  Nothing too far, like a 100+ mile tuna trip, but someone who stays within 50 or 60 miles.

Unfortunately there aren’t really any left that I can confidently recommend. Probably your best bet is https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Fishing-Spot/Ambush-offshore-Fishing-Team-499645640001/ or https://www.badfishsportfishing.net

Cheaper option would be one of these boats https://billbustersfishing.com

Same with Port A. There is nowhere to park. Besides I think being able to drive on the beach is one of the few good things about Texas beaches. Screw lugging your pop up, cooler, grille, etc.

I get what Canales is trying to do and it is way, way less crowded on the island since her original order banning vehicles. But I think as long as we are keeping the bars closed here it’s ok for the beach to be open to cars. If they are that worried about it shut the restaurants down too. There is nothing else to do here indoors. They’ve cracked down really hard on house parties. Coming to the beach can and should be something safe to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

You can do whatever you want on the beach during daylight hours. The ban is all motorized vehicles. A wagon is fine. Lots of people using those and bikes to haul all their crap out there.

Aren't they letting a driver drop off their group at the barricades, so less walking and carrying for everyone except the driver, who has to find a place to park and walk back to join the group?

Yes. I haven’t been down there in a few weeks but what I’ve heard is that you can absolutely do that. So of course it’s really crowded on the beach at Ave G, Sand Castle, 1, and 1A. Instead of going to the beach we’ve been going to Charlie’s Pasture or Roberts Point in the evenings for a cold beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Yes. I haven’t been down there in a few weeks but what I’ve heard is that you can absolutely do that. So of course it’s really crowded on the beach at Ave G, Sand Castle, 1, and 1A. Instead of going to the beach we’ve been going to Charlie’s Pasture or Roberts Point in the evenings for a cold beer.

initial reaction might be to feel bad for the poor schmuck that has to drop everybody off and then then go park the car back at the condo/hotel and walk all the way back...

but having had a similar setup on 30A in FL last year (house about 3/4 of a mile from the beach access which was a small path b/t complexes w/ 54 steps down to the beach, i know exactly how many bc i counted many, many times lol)...that's actually the sweet end of the deal lol. don't have to carry anything, and by the time you get to the spot on the beach everybody already has everything set up. you get to just stroll at your own pace and when you get there your chair and beverage are waiting for you! :D

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Looks like we’re are taking the camper down to pioneer in September. It will be nice to walk across the dunes and not have a shit ton of window lickers blasting shitty music from their f250 lines up door handle to door handle.

We bring everything we need but ice.

• Like 1

i absolutely HATE music blaring on the beach. i will make my husband move camp if someone decides to roll up next to us and starts with the loud music. doesn't even matter what kind. the sounds of the BEACH are a huge part of the draw. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

I get what Canales is trying to do and it is way, way less crowded on the island since her original order banning vehicles. But I think as long as we are keeping the bars closed here it’s ok for the beach to be open to cars. If they are that worried about it shut the restaurants down too. There is nothing else to do here indoors. They’ve cracked down really hard on house parties. Coming to the beach can and should be something safe to do.

You get it. Based on what I've read, almost nobody else gets it.
He doesn't have the ability to shut down restaurants does he? I think the AG might send a letter, again, if he did that.
Going to the beach should be safe, you've provided recommendations as to how to do it as safe as can be. But we all know people don't do that. They meet up with everyone they don't live with in a big rental, go out to eat, go to the local stores, spread them germs far and wide.

Restaurants are a shitshow right now. Unless things change you do not want to go. Packed, no masks, zero social distancing.

Yeah, that's not great.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Has the vehicle ban been having the desired effect?

If pissing me off is one of Judge Canales' intents, then yes.

Yes, there are a lot fewer people on the beach.  But, due to the few locations that people can access it, you now have a MUCH higher concentration of people in a smaller area.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

The vehicle thing is all day. It started in mid July. The 8:30pm - 6am thing is a beach curfew that as far as I know was also extended.

The beach curfew is being enforced. Police cars were driving up and down the beach at NPI at 8:30p and kicking everyone off.

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

Whats going on with that place? Harvey was 3 years ago and still not re-opened!

lost cause at this point?

No they had insurance and roof problems. They aren’t alone. It’s completely gutted right now and looks like a parking garage.  They’re looking at maybe 1.5 to 2 more years is my guess. Don’t ever buy a condo in a beach area that could possibly get a hurricane. Better yet, don’t ever buy a condo.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, drifter379 said:

Looks like we’re are taking the camper down to pioneer in September. It will be nice to walk across the dunes and not have a shit ton of window lickers blasting shitty music from their f250 lines up door handle to door handle.

We bring everything we need but ice.

There is no way the vehicle ban will still be in place in September.

21 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

If pissing me off is one of Judge Canales' intents, then yes.

Yes, there are a lot fewer people on the beach.  But, due to the few locations that people can access it, you now have a MUCH higher concentration of people in a smaller area.

Haha. On that note, cases were trending down a little (10%?) but went up again yesterday. Put me in charge. Open the beach, keep the bars closed, make restaurants go to outdoor seating and takeout only, make everyone wear a mask in public. We will have this knocked out in time for college football.

Edited by justhookit

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

There is no way the vehicle ban will still be in place in September.

Haha. On that note, cases were trending down a little (10%?) but went up again yesterday. Put me in charge. Open the beach, keep the bars closed, make restaurants go to outdoor seating and takeout only, make everyone wear a mask in public. We will have this knocked out in time for college football.

If trends continue, I fully expect a new ban over Labor Day weekend...

And while I think the masks are dumb as shit and mostly useless (I don't want to turn this thread into a Rona thread so, please, people don't do that), if it will get things back to normal quicker I'll suck it up for now (not just wandering around outside not near people though). And I'd do restaurants at 50% indoors if they can do the 6 ft thing (what's the difference between 6 ft in Walmart and 6 ft at Fins?). Other than that, I'm with you on the plan.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, open up Aug 18, temporary ban for Labor Day wouldn’t shock me. I’ll put it this way Port A is going to revolt if she tries to extend it again. We already have locals and tourists trying to tear down the barricades. The police are sick of enforcing it.

i don’t know what y’all restaurant situation is over there. Ours is FUBAR. I laugh every time I drive by one on the weekend. It’s a combination tailgate party/dine in experience/packed bar. I’ll give some of the restaurants credit they are at least trying to enforce some kind of social distancing. Then the tourists come in and fuck it all up. I really should take more pictures when I drive around.

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, open up Aug 18, temporary ban for Labor Day wouldn’t shock me. I’ll put it this way Port A is going to revolt if she tries to extend it again. We already have locals and tourists trying to tear down the barricades. The police are sick of enforcing it.

i don’t know what y’all restaurant situation is over there. Ours is FUBAR. I laugh every time I drive by one on the weekend. It’s a combination tailgate party/dine in experience/packed bar. I’ll give some of the restaurants credit they are at least trying to enforce some kind of social distancing. Then the tourists come in and fuck it all up. I really should take more pictures when I drive around.

Yeah...we may revolt over here, too.  We're getting pretty close to going nuclear on Canales.

And when they first opened it up for restaurants, yeah, it was a clusterfuck, but they really did start to manage it a lot better after that.

I think the tourist scene is different here than up in Port A, though...even though we're so close.   It's just a different vibe between the 2 places.  We tend to have a lot more laid back atmosphere.

i absolutely HATE music blaring on the beach. i will make my husband move camp if someone decides to roll up next to us and starts with the loud music. doesn't even matter what kind. the sounds of the BEACH are a huge part of the draw. 

Wr were watching the surfers one time, in Dominical. Nothing but the sound of the waves and watching the surfers as the sun was going down. We had our rental car there and parked and enjoyed the local beer and herbs. Man and woman rolled up parked next to us and played their fucking terrible music. Completely ruined the moment. I hate it when people fuck up the quiet beach feel with bullshit.

Yeah...we may revolt over here, too.  We're getting pretty close to going nuclear on Canales.
And when they first opened it up for restaurants, yeah, it was a clusterfuck, but they really did start to manage it a lot better after that.
I think the tourist scene is different here than up in Port A, though...even though we're so close.   It's just a different vibe between the 2 places.  We tend to have a lot more laid back atmosphere.

Where are you again?

On 7/30/2020 at 5:49 PM, justhookit said:

Shit. They just extended the vehicle ban on the beach until at least Aug. 17

Well, this sucks. We're scheduled to come down Friday Aug7.  We booked off beach thinking we wanted to avoid crowds and could just drive until we find a spot NOT crowded. Not planning to eat out or do anything except chill at the rental house and beach. I have a wagon and bike, but any advice on which access might be less of a shit show to get in and/or park? 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:41 PM, Ag with kids said:

If trends continue, I fully expect a new ban over Labor Day weekend...

And while I think the masks are dumb as shit and mostly useless (I don't want to turn this thread into a Rona thread so, please, people don't do that), if it will get things back to normal quicker I'll suck it up for now (not just wandering around outside not near people though). And I'd do restaurants at 50% indoors if they can do the 6 ft thing (what's the difference between 6 ft in Walmart and 6 ft at Fins?). Other than that, I'm with you on the plan.

Username definitely checks out

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

Well, this sucks. We're scheduled to come down Friday Aug7.  We booked off beach thinking we wanted to avoid crowds and could just drive until we find a spot NOT crowded. Not planning to eat out or do anything except chill at the rental house and beach. I have a wagon and bike, but any advice on which access might be less of a shit show to get in and/or park? 

Are you staying in Port Aransas (or North Padre or in between)?