Port Aransas

Paco

We came in Thursday afternoon and hit the ferry at 8:15 am Monday, no wait either time.  Would never hit it on Friday or late Monday, amateurs.

Im newly transplanted back in austin, only drove to port a once before, last year. we drove straight in and took about 4 hours. we were told to skip the ferry last time. driving in tomorrow evening arriving around 7pm, leaving monday about 9am. ferry a good or bad option ?

You can try this link as you are getting close. I’m never sure how accurate it really is. 

You should be fine tomorrow evening. I’d guess a 30 minute to hour wait coming in at worst. When I come in on Fridays during the summer I always avoid the ferry and just go thru Corpus. Worst case is it’s an extra 30 minutes but it’s a good excuse for me to stop at HEB+ and do any other shopping I need.  Monday morning won’t be a problem at all.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 2

Hope Hookit and the locals ride the storm out without too much damage.  I worry about the flooding mostly with everything so low lying. So fingeres crossed and prayers for Port A.

I definitely have noticed a changed in restaurant patterns in Austin, that indicate to me that the kids are back in a lot of their activities and their parents are tethered accordingly.  Doubt I will leave the trailer down there the entire month of October as originally planned. Especially with my house flooding, and riding herd on that being a distracter. But definitely will make it for a few good weather/tide timed trips.  

23 hours ago, horn4life said:

Hope Hookit and the locals ride the storm out without too much damage.  I worry about the flooding mostly with everything so low lying. So fingeres crossed and prayers for Port A.

Hey Hookit - Looks like Nicholas might have been a nothingburger in Port A.  Was it?

Mustang Island Airport listed very little rain over the past three days.  Wind looked a little heavier than normal.  How was it IRL?

Did Old Town or Whispering Sands have flooding?

Edited by abuelo gringo

I flew into KCRP at 1600 yesterday.  A little bumpy but only about 20ish kt winds.  The drive to NPI was nominal.  Wife had prepped our outdoors just in case so now I've got to move a shit ton of lawn furniture back into place.

She said it was a tiny bit of rain.

I was expecting my flight to be cancelled based on the initial reports.

So, over the summer, NPI got a Guajillos restaurant.  Apparently it's a second restaurant from their first SA place.  Serves "Mex without the Tex".  I've heard really good things but I've been gone so much for work over the summer I haven't had the chance to try it out.

And, on my drive home today, I saw a sign that says we're getting a Las Palapas which is apparently an SA chain sit down restaurant.  Heard it's good, though.

So, more options here which I like.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rental across the street from me showed up today with a 20 foot box white truck that screams I want to blow this up, pulling a 15 foot aluminum boat. And a support suv. Still not sure how they got it all parked over there but they managed. Pretty sure they are eco terrorists from Oregon. They are playing good music right now though so I will wait till tomorrow to go interrogate.

I just had to come look seeing Hookit's 3 am posting time!  You alive

So how is it in Port A?  I am assuming that if the restaurants in Austin in the early hours are any indication, the kids have their parents locked into their local activities.  I am hoping things are more the way I like them in October, when things mellow out and the kids keep their parents in their home towns.

My original plan was to head out Friday and leave the trailer in Port A until the end of October.  Unfortunately my house got destroyed with a water leak (22,000 gallons into house from toilet supply line) when we were there in July. Still no estimate from USAA but every wall is cut out and every cabinet removed.  But I am fighting to go ahead and bring the trailer down with the hope of bouncing down a couple times for good weather/tides.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:26 PM, Ag with kids said:

So, over the summer, NPI got a Guajillos restaurant.  Apparently it's a second restaurant from their first SA place.  Serves "Mex without the Tex".  I've heard really good things but I've been gone so much for work over the summer I haven't had the chance to try it out.

And, on my drive home today, I saw a sign that says we're getting a Las Palapas which is apparently an SA chain sit down restaurant.  Heard it's good, though.

So, more options here which I like.

Las Palapas is great.  That was my go to spot in high school and early 20's after parties.  You'll want to order the unfortunately named "okie burrito".  It has rice, refried beans, carne guisada, lettuce, tomato, guacamole (if desired), and then covered in enchilada gravy and cheese.

okie-burrito-2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Booked a house for the NYE weekend. The fam had a blast last year so we're making it a tradition.

We did that for years.  Watched most the football games.  When my son had his sailboat, we sailed on New Year's day several years.  We also liked to drive down to Little Shell Beach at PINS. 

Weather is usually mild down there during the holidays.  Covid messed that up last year.

Edited by abuelo gringo

5 hours ago, abuelo gringo said:

We did that for years.  Watched most the football games.  When my son had his sailboat, we sailed on New Year's day several years.  We also liked to drive down to Little Shell Beach at PINS. 

Weather is usually mild down there during the holidays.  Covid messed that up last year.

Yeah, NYE was colder and windier than hell last year but the rest of the trip was perfect for fires on the beach. 

10 hours ago, Hate said:

And that’s fair. My perspective was from condo owners and that’s what they told me.

To be honest, I'm a condo owner here...that's how I know cleaners.  The ones I know live on the island (well, one just moved to the Bluff this month, but not because of living expense).

It IS a more expensive here, but I know a number of people that live on the island that don't have a shit ton of $$$.  They don't live on the water, but still...they're on an island.

Edited by Ag with kids

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, texasdago said:

What are your favorite places to eat in North Padre that have outdoor seating?  

Scuttlebutt's, Angry Marlin, Boathouse and Doc's are good and have outdoor seating.  Surfside is a sandwich shop that also has an outdoor area.   Oh yeah, and Padre Island Burger Company.

And Knockout's has a few tables outside.

22 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Headed down to Port A Friday for the weekend. Looks like it may be warm enough to swim Friday and Saturday. 

HAHAHA...

Fuck that shit.  OAT should be great (I'm not there now, but looked on my weather app), but the WATER is still cold.  Probably high 60s, low 70s.  That's "make your balls shrink up so far they might choke you" cold.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:18 AM, Axle Hongsnort said:

Im newly transplanted back in austin, only drove to port a once before, last year. we drove straight in and took about 4 hours. we were told to skip the ferry last time. driving in tomorrow evening arriving around 7pm, leaving monday about 9am. ferry a good or bad option ?

Just saw this...

If y'all are coming from Austin, take 130 to Seguin, I-10 to 420 in SA, then around to I-37 to Corpus, 358/22 to N Padre Island and then 361 up to Port A.

I live on NPI and I can get from my house to AUS in about 3 hrs...so it would take about 3:15-3:20 from there to get to PA.  And that skips the uncertainty of the ferry.

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Haha. Too cold for me for sure. I was thinking more of my 9yo that’ll jump in anything over 65. 

Yeah...kids have zero give shit about that.  But, it should be a great time to be on the beach anyways...

BTW...heads up that they're doing construction on the bridge over the ICW and it's only the right lane open both ways.   Now, this is just the BRIDGE, not the causeway so you don't have to get to the right till the end, but...for daily life it sucks balls.  And I still have no fucking idea what they're doing since all they've done in a month is block off the 2 lanes.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1