Port Aransas

Paco

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Island time bitches. 100% masks at IGA. 

When I was there on Wednesday, a family of four wasn't wearing masks, but everyone else I saw was, except one lady who was holding a tissue up to her face while maneuvering her grocery cart . 

Of course, this was before the Abbott's order.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Teebox said:

Good lord. We should be encouraging people to be outside, spread out, in windy, warm conditions. Not huddled together in condos. 

No. It’s fucked down here.

ive been saying it for months now. Beaches are not the problem. The goal of the beach closure is to severely reduce the number of tourists coming down. It worked the first time. It worked 4th of July weekend. It will work this time.

Port A can handle tourists. Not right now though. It’s akin to dumping 15 million people on Austin next weekend. Y’all want that? Stay the fuck home.

• Like 1

Anyway, the new order has an expiration date of Aug1. Everything I’ve heard is that it will be extended unless Nueces County numbers start dropping severely. We had 605 new cases yesterday and 500 today. That’s the equivalent of about 2000 a day in Travis. They expect to exceed the daily record 605 number in the next few days. 

This puts Corpus and Nueces County at the very top of per capita cases in the country. We are running a 48% positive test rate as of 2 days ago.

No. It’s fucked down here.
ive been saying it for months now. Beaches are not the problem. The goal of the beach closure is to severely reduce the number of tourists coming down. It worked the first time. It worked 4th of July weekend. It will work this time.
Port A can handle tourists. Not right now though. It’s akin to dumping 15 million people on Austin next weekend. Y’all want that? Stay the fuck home.

My issue is there aren’t any refunds being handed out on rental properties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Mac8111 said:

We lucked out on our end.  We've been in communication with the owners over the last several weeks, and they've been great about extending cancellation periods and offering a full refund if the beaches completely close.  I've heard other owners are not so generous.  

Like so many others, I'm not sure on what the right answer is here.  So many factors to consider.  We're planning to eat at the house for every meal.  Only activities would be beach and golf.  Three day trip.  So, minimal economic impact on our part to Port A, but also about as minimal of a footprint as possible from an exposure standpoint.

3 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I mean that's caveat emptor right?  Everyone knows we're in a pandemic.  Seems like people should have understood that risk (or negotiated for cancellation options) up front.

Got us here on NPI too.  You can park at Windward Public Parking (which is right on the beach) and hang out on the beach with chairs and canopies and stuff.  Supposedly, there's ADA access at Whitecap and Windward.  Otherwise, no vehicles...

Beaches in Corpus central are fucked though.  Only exercising allowed.  No sitting, eating, drinking, etc...

Kinda sucks for me since I had a whole group of family coming down from 7/25-8/1 (we've been doing this trip for over a decade).  Not sure what we'll do now.

Luckily, one of the condos they're staying in is mine and the other 2 are my buddies so no one is out any money.

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Cinnamon shores gave us a full refund, but that was week before July 4th. 

Was that in one of the condos or a house? I’ve heard a lot of people complain about trying to get refunds on houses all over the island booked through the owner.

Not a fun day in Port A today.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/man-shoots-himself-dies-after-police-pursuit-in-port-aransas/

31 yr old kid from Austin killed himself after a high speed chase through town. Some details not in the article, he was doing 80 mph on Allister (361) between Beach Street  and access road 1a. As sad as it is it’s a good thing he didn’t hurt or kill anyone else. We’ve still got a bunch of tourists in town. After he drove off the road on the wrong side at 1a,  he immediately shot himself in the head.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/tropical-storm-expected-to-hit-texas-coast-saturday/

Tropical storm on the way. Fortunately this only looks like a really bad extended thunderstorm and not a damaging event.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Not a fun day in Port A today.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/man-shoots-himself-dies-after-police-pursuit-in-port-aransas/

31 yr old kid from Austin killed himself after a high speed chase through town. Some details not in the article, he was doing 80 mph on Allister (361) between Beach Street  and access road 1a. As sad as it is it’s a good thing he didn’t hurt or kill anyone else. We’ve still got a bunch of tourists in town. After he drove off the road on the wrong side at 1a,  he immediately shot himself in the head.

https://www.portasouthjetty.com/articles/tropical-storm-expected-to-hit-texas-coast-saturday/

Tropical storm on the way. Fortunately this only looks like a really bad extended thunderstorm and not a damaging event.

Might want to re-check the forecast. What I saw this morning says it could be a Cat 1 (not horrible but sustained 65 MPH winds) when it makes landfall.

Plus it is taking dead aim on Corpus.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Might want to re-check the forecast. What I saw this morning says it could be a Cat 1 (not horrible but sustained 65 MPH winds) when it makes landfall.

Plus it is taking dead aim on Corpus.

And...I'm coming home to NPI from Central TX today (actually moved it up a day because of this storm).  Everything I've seen this morning says it'll stay a Tropical Storm, but winds for those can get up to 73 mph.

Beach is closed on NPI all weekend COMPLETELY from 1200 today until Monday.

Best case scenario would be for it to hit south of Corpus, since there really isn't a whole lot there...

And...I'm coming home to NPI from Central TX today (actually moved it up a day because of this storm).  Everything I've seen this morning says it'll stay a Tropical Storm, but winds for those can get up to 73 mph.
Beach is closed on NPI all weekend COMPLETELY from 1200 today until Monday.
Best case scenario would be for it to hit south of Corpus, since there really isn't a whole lot there...
Pretty quiet Friday afternoon. Tomorrow could be fun.IMG_20200724_152519.jpgIMG_20200724_152516.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Teebox said:

Have plans to go fishing inshore next Friday and offshore next Saturday. This will be cleared by then but any idea if hurts fishing prospects?

Shouldn’t change much at all. The biggest problem would be if y’all were going to be targeting tuna behind shrimp boats. Those fish will be scattered out a little because the shrimpers had to go in to port and won’t be back out for a day or two.

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

How’s the weather in Port A today? Hurricane force winds?

Apparently, it's going to hit around Baffin Bay, south of Corpus.  So, winds and rain, but not the brunt of the storm...

It's blowing pretty hard here on NPI right now, bunch of stuff closed up - the outer bands are hitting us right now.  Heavy rain isn't here yet.

Edited by Ag with kids

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Nah, it’s just an very long strong thunderstorm.  I’ve got brand new hurricane doors and windows so I don’t ever have to board up again anyway. Thanks Harvey. 

Even down here on NPI where we're closer to the storm it hasn't been that bad.  I've had worse storms here before.  None of my chairs are in the pool on this one...

Yeah, make it through the next few hours and we are done. Only casualty so far is my neighbor’s trash can and some tree limbs. I’ve seen pictures and video of the beach and the boardwalks and stuff are pretty messed up. 

we are starting to lose power in places though. 2 really good squalls have come through the last hour.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Facebook for Port A. https://www.caller.com has some stuff for north padre 

still have power at the house but keep losing internet and cellular

Looks like y'all are getting some of the nasty outer band stuff coming from the back side.  Stay safe.

We're getting the worst winds right now since this shitstorm started.

Luckily it took a sharp left turn before landfall.

I had a bunch of family come into town today for our annual get together.  It was meh most of the day.  Even had folks swimming in the pool about an hour ago.  Now it's getting ugly  again.

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Looks like y'all are getting some of the nasty outer band stuff coming from the back side.  Stay safe.

We're getting the worst winds right now since this shitstorm started.

Luckily it took a sharp left turn before landfall.

I had a bunch of family come into town today for our annual get together.  It was meh most of the day.  Even had folks swimming in the pool about an hour ago.  Now it's getting ugly  again.

That band was extremely nasty. I don’t think the winds quite hit what they were earlier in the day, but it looked like a real hurricane. I have some video I’ll post whenever I get decent internet again. Overall this wasn’t damaging at all. Good thing it hit 90 miles south of us. That was a mean bitch for a cat1. Hope y’all faired ok.

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

My brother said the end of Bob Hall Pier is gone.  The T part. People on Corpus Fishing forum seem to confirm it.

Yeah that just doesn’t seem right. I’m guessing they had an underlying structural issue. The waves were big but not bad enough to take the pier down.

Edited by justhookit

On 7/25/2020 at 11:29 PM, justhookit said:

Yeah that just doesn’t seem right. I’m guessing they had an underlying structural issue. The waves were big but not bad enough to take the pier down.

The T head is gone...Apparently also really damaged the ramp going up the pier.

.IMG_2805.jpeg.6610a35d1d516166fba7205517cab3a1.jpeg

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

Luckily I never did lose power. However a bunch of the island still doesn’t have their power back. Here’s the last strong band that came through late yesterday evening.

We lost power at 11:35 pm Saturday.  Came back on at 6:30 pm Sunday.

Had no cell service until about 2:30...

6 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

We lost power at 11:35 pm Saturday.  Came back on at 6:30 pm Sunday.

Had no cell service until about 2:30...

Damn that would have sucked. Just saw on the news that our highest recorded wind was 68. Corpus was 66 but I think that was at the airport. I’m sure y’all were higher out on NPI

2 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Between the tropical storm and Covid, would you make a trip down there in a couple weeks for the weekend?

We have a house booked and planned to just hang out and social distance on the beach like we usually do. They will let us reschedule but not cancel with refund.

Sure. I’ve been saying it for a few months now. Come down, bring your own food and supplies and enjoy the beach. You’re not going to catch it there. And ever since the mask order it’s been really good here. In a few weeks I don’t know what it will be like but you can always avoid the stores here. Tropical storm didn’t do any damage.

• Hook 'Em 1

Since they canceled the State Fair, we'll be down in the RV that weekend.  Kids have a couple days off for Columbus Day so it'll be a long weekend.  Looking forward to it, I always love being down there in October but football season usually makes that difficult.  But THIS year...

We have been heading down to Port A for about 20 years on OU weekend.  Fishing is usually good, water is still warm, and the tourist of Summer are long gone.  My only concern is that with so many folks home schooling or schooling remotely will my "golden time" now be like a lighter Summer weekend?

Think I may just rent a space for a month and keep the trailer down there.  Probably not a huge difference in price from what it would cost in fuel dragging it back and forth from Austin.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

We have been heading down to Port A for about 20 years on OU weekend.  Fishing is usually good, water is still warm, and the tourist of Summer are long gone.  My only concern is that with so many folks home schooling or schooling remotely will my "golden time" now be like a lighter Summer weekend?

Think I may just rent a space for a month and keep the trailer down there.  Probably not a huge difference in price from what it would cost in fuel dragging it back and forth from Austin.  

Yup, sorry to be one of the ones to mess with your "golden time."  Well, not really sorry. :)

My wife's a PT who must see her patients in-person, otherwise we'd probably just move down there for the Fall.  We'll be home-schooling the kids and I can work remote/virtual from anywhere.

We usually go Columbus Day weekend as well, but we skipped this year because we all knew it was going to be a clusterfuck down there this year. We will pick the tradition back up next year as it should be back to a normal minor holiday weekend. Hopefully.

We really started the tradition simply as taking my then 1 and 4 year old to OU simply wasn't the choice we wanted to make.  The great thing is that even if the weather isn't 100% you still get an all day party with the game.  Back then we used to stay out at the Sea Gull condos.  I would drive the truck around at dawn to fish and the wife and kids would come down when  they got up and going.  I would pretty much stay out all day on the beach and they would go take a nap and come back down when it was cooler.  That's when I first started surf fishing. The one thing that kept me going to Sea Gull is the view and the fact they sold ice in the lobby.  The ice was a very big deal as otherwise it was a several mile drive to grab ice, and ice is perhaps the primary necessity for me to enjoy the beach, as beverages are a necessity. 😉 

The great thing about the Fall, is the reds are all over the place in the surf and it's so exciting for the kids to see a big old red come out of the water for the first time.  

utee 94 -  Hopefully they will allow driving/camping on the beach by then.  If not take a good look at Seagull or maybe Channelview if fishing is a priority.

• Hook 'Em 1