Port Aransas

Paco

On 6/7/2020 at 11:23 AM, justhookit said:

Yeah crazy night on the island. High water on the beach, tons of drunk idiots out and about, impossible to get into restaurants, gun pulled in ferry line because someone cut him off. Honestly on that last one, you probably deserve to get a gun pulled on you right now if you are stupid enough to get in the 3 hour line.

Looking forward to next week's Police Blotter in the Jetty.

What's Port A like during Deep Sea Roundup? In the last 15 years, i don't think I've ever been during the event. We're just beaching it for the most part, but doing a little bay fishing on the thursday morning before the round up. I have justhookit's rec'd guide lined up.

Does La Playa even do take out?

So there is one new confirmed case here (first in about 2months)  and there appear to be several others that may have it but are still waiting on test results. The confirmed positive worked at Crazy Cajun and it is now closed.

@dmtx not sure what you are asking about Deep Sea Roundup. It’s like any other weekend in the summer. And yeah La Playa has been doing takeout all through this. Not sure if they are still doing the curbside pickup though.

58 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So there is one new confirmed case here (first in about 2months)  and there appear to be several others that may have it but are still waiting on test results. The confirmed positive worked at Crazy Cajun and it is now closed.

@dmtx not sure what you are asking about Deep Sea Roundup. It’s like any other weekend in the summer. And yeah La Playa has been doing takeout all through this. Not sure if they are still doing the curbside pickup though.

you answered it. just wondering if it was any more crowded than any other weekend in the summer. 

16 hours ago, justhookit said:

Now 5 new cases this week. This is going to be a long summer.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, justhookit said:

Now 5 new cases this week. This is going to be a long summer.

So far it appears all 5 new cases were related to Crazy Cajun and the family of the people that worked there. I’m delaying hitting the panic button until we see what happens by the end of this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Also, Nueces County has for some reason decided to not report new cases over the weekend. We should see a large number later today.

Lots of counties and municipalities only have limited reporting over the weekend, and even on Mondays.  Around the country, Tuesday has often been the "catch-up day."  On the COVID thread, we usually call it "Bloody Tuesday" because of the big spikes resulting from catching up.

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Lots of counties and municipalities only have limited reporting over the weekend, and even on Mondays.  Around the country, Tuesday has often been the "catch-up day."  On the COVID thread, we usually call it "Bloody Tuesday" because of the big spikes resulting from catching up.

Yes I’m well aware of that. As I said, Nueces County has decided not to report new cases THIS weekend.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:49 AM, utee94 said:

We’ve been pretty steady at 30ish new cases every day this week. I think it’s safe to say we are on the upswing.

Port A has nothing new yet since the 7 new cases from last week. I’m still not sure how we are avoiding this bitch. It’s a shitshow here.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

We’ve been pretty steady at 30ish new cases every day this week. I think it’s safe to say we are on the upswing.

Port A has nothing new yet since the 7 new cases from last week. I’m still not sure how we are avoiding this bitch. It’s a shitshow here.

Nueces County has had 4 deaths since the panic began.  And only 1 in the last month.

It's not Ebola central down here...

Y’all don’t tell my wife about any of this.  We’re still on to come down week after July 4 weekend.  Planning to mostly cook in, with a few take out nights.  She finds out, and our trip will be off.  I’m looking forward to some fly fishing, and maybe a trip to Bird Island for some windsurfing.  Mostly just to get the hell out of the house and town for a change of scenery. 

15 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

5 in 5 months...and he was in his 80s...

That sucks.  But, again, that means that Nueces County is still REALLY safe...

Oh I agree with that. But Nueces had 65 new cases yesterday. I think the previous high recorded was 34. The virus is just now getting here. Shorty’s porch was great last night. Live music and they’ve set up picnic tables in the parking lot.

17 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

5 in 5 months...and he was in his 80s...

That sucks.  But, again, that means that Nueces County is still REALLY safe...

And another one today makes it 6. Hospitalizations have jumped from 9 to 19 since last week. The other really interesting data point is that 24 of yesterday’s 65 new cases are under the age of 30.

i saw the mayor issued a face covering order for businesses about an hour ago, including the $1000 fine. i bet he was waiting to see what happened with the big guns (Bexar, etc.), i'm assuming his order is pretty much the same. 

that's good, at least local leadership is trying to look out for the permanent residents. 

also...i keep seeing these claims of people 'passing out!!' from CO2 or whatever after wearing a mask, as an excuse not to wear one...all i keep thinking is...are their masks made out of plastic🤨  wtf? somebody explain to me how wearing a cloth mask, or a bandana or one of those thin disposable masks could make someone pass out from lack of oxygen.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mchookem said:

i saw the mayor issued a face covering order for businesses about an hour ago, including the $1000 fine. i bet he was waiting to see what happened with the big guns (Bexar, etc.), i'm assuming his order is pretty much the same. 

that's good, at least local leadership is trying to look out for the permanent residents. 

also...i keep seeing these claims of people 'passing out!!' from CO2 or whatever after wearing a mask, as an excuse not to wear one...all i keep thinking is...are their masks made out of plastic🤨  wtf? somebody explain to me how wearing a cloth mask, or a bandana or one of those thin disposable masks could make someone pass out from lack of oxygen.

I wear a mask (now an n95 since march) at work, 8-12 hrs a day, for the past 9 years

there is no such thing as passing out from high co2 levels. Maybe increased work of breathing, but going up stairs would likely make the same person pass out as wearing a mask would

Salty Dog closed last night because the owner asked the employees if they wanted to stay open. They closed at 7. It was a unanimous no. If by order, decree, law, or choice next to nothing is going to be open here by next weekend. Anything still open is going to have a 5 hour wait. If hotels or rentals will still let you come please do so because port a needs it, but plan on coming self sufficiently.

Also I’m sure I said it on another thread but 9 new cases here this week. More are coming. I’ve lost track of which thread I’m posting this stuff on.

edit- by more coming I mean they are testing a bunch of the bar/restaurant employees on Monday. It’s here kids. Do with that info what you want.

Edited by justhookit
Reasons
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, texastough said:

Thanks man, good info. I was planning to head that way next week but between this and the weather its probably not worth it. Of course my first big hall pass during the outbreak gets furked

Ehhhh, I think there are 3 days of rain 80% or something but last I looked the weekend looks good. I just wouldn’t go to a bar or restaurant. Beach is still perfectly safe, keep your distance as needed and bring your own food.

On 6/19/2020 at 3:03 PM, justhookit said:

Kody’s, Giggity’s, and Shorty’s just closed down indefinitely. Employee at Gigs tested positive. All 3 are owned by the same person and somewhat share employees.

Scuttlebutts and Surfside Sandwich on NPI just closed.  Someone at Scuttlebutts tested positive, same case as above - same owner, shared employees.

The Slip/Pelican closed due to TABC from what I understand.  Not following guidelines...

Beach still open though.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, Ag with kids said:

Scuttlebutts and Surfside Sandwich on NPI just closed.  Someone at Scuttlebutts tested positive, same case as above - same owner, shared employees.

The Slip/Pelican closed due to TABC from what I understand.  Not following guidelines...

Beach still open though.

Seems as though TABC is the “COVID police” as it applies to restaurants and bars.  Woodys in Lubbock was allegedly shut down for 30 days by the TABC for violating guidelines.

21 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Seems as though TABC is the “COVID police” as it applies to restaurants and bars.  Woodys in Lubbock was allegedly shut down for 30 days by the TABC for violating guidelines.

Yep.  That's how they're acting

As a side note, Scuttlebutt's is opening up Saturday.

Edited by Ag with kids

On 6/23/2020 at 8:28 PM, justhookit said:

Gaff and Red’s (the old Lovett’s) are basically the only 2 bars left open in town. I expect we will be seeing restaurant closings soon.

Back Porch, treasures, the beer barn bar place and 361 are all open a friend that’s down there told me? Idk

Edited by Hook1997

Just back from a few days in a house down there.  Plenty of spacing on the beach at mile marker 39 where we were.  Cooked at the house, but did some shopping in town.  Masks were maybe 50% where we went.  Seemed more like 10% in masks at IGA, including the store staff.  Nice to get away from Austin and the world falling apart.  Didn't turn the TV on at all for 3 days, so had no idea things were blowing up crazy again until last night.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Back Porch, treasures, the beer barn bar place and 361 are all open a friend that’s down there told me? Idk

Well it’s a moot point now. 361 I don’t even count as a bar anymore. It’s a good place to get into troubles with drugs or fights though. And I still go there when they have steak nights on Mondays. But I leave as soon as I eat.

39 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Well it’s a moot point now. 361 I don’t even count as a bar anymore. It’s a good place to get into troubles with drugs or fights though. And I still go there when they have steak nights on Mondays. But I leave as soon as I eat.

Damn miss Coast Club

3 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

@justhookit, you think they will close the beaches or hotels?  We have plans to hit the beach next week, but don't plan on going to any restaurants (if any are still open).   

They are talking about closing the beach but I don’t think they have the balls to actually do it again. 

So far they seem content to let the hotels operate as they are with no changes other than mask requirements that basically nobody will follow.

edit- I just heard the county judge is going to place some sort of restriction on the beaches and it will be announced on Monday. I’m guessing it’s a limiting group size thing and not a closure.

Edited by justhookit

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

They are talking about closing the beach but I don’t think they have the balls to actually do it again.

So far they seem content to let the hotels operate as they are with no changes other than mask requirements that basically nobody will follow.

Last I heard on NPI is that we'll keep the beach open but go back to the earlier social distancing restrictions.

However, Judge Canales has been enjoying her new found power here in Corpus so who knows what she'll do next week.

But the beach is open now...