2018 Military Parade

Pancho

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

I can promise you the participants aren't particularly thrilled...

Nobody likes parade detail. You wear your dress and you smell like shit after. If it's cold outside, you freeze your bag off. Not to mention the logistical cluster fuck of getting troops, materials etc to the party. It's a wasted effort. The right is already full of walking weekend warrior boners that will never NOT love the military and the left will simply bash the troops and call them Trumps goose steppers. 

You want to honor the troops? Pull them the fuck out of the shithole countries we are in (yes, I said shithole) and station them back home close to their families. 

Edited by Clob94

6 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Nobody likes parade detail. You wear your dress and you smell like shit after. If it's cold outside, you freeze your bag off. Not to mention the logistical cluster fuck of getting troops, materials etc to the party. It's a wasted effort. The right is already full of walking weekend warrior boners that will never NOT love the military and the left will simply bash the troops and call them Trumps goose steppers. 

You want to honor the troops? Pull them the fuck out of the shithole countries we are in (yes, I said shithole) and station them back home close to their families. 

Even the lefties recognize the troops are following legal orders.  Trump should not be pulling this shit though.

He has a lot of opposition, both legitimate and unfounded.  He needs to stop fucking around with the bear(tee-hee) and focus on his real responsibilities.

Oh, and as far as military parades go, the only good ones are if you're graduating, going home, or are the person taking the new command.

No one blames the troops for this boondoggle.  Hell, if I legitimately believed it was to remember Armistice Day and the memory of those who served in WWI, I'd be all for it (within reason of course). 

But we all know this is purely Trump stroking his ego.  And for that, he should be ridiculed roundly.

Leftists will protest this stupid shit parade, as they should. Right-wingers will go bananas. Centrists will wag their fingers at the protesters.

lol Republicans gonna win 2018, too

If the Dems were smart and understood themselves, they'd start organizing a Very Respectful counter-event, like a rally for more veteran benefits or something. Do some Bonus Army shit.

Yeah, cancelling those South Korean exercises to appease was sure gonna save a bundle.

Oh yeah, we just gonna shift those costs over to a....[checks notes]....parade.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/18/politics/trump-military-parade-cost/index.html

President Donald Trump's military parade in DC is likely to cost nearly as much as the now canceled military exercise with South Korea that Trump called "tremendously expensive" and said cost "a fortune," three US defense officials tell CNN.

The parade, which is now scheduled to take place on November 10, is currently estimated to cost approximately $12 million, the officials said. One official called the number "a planning figure," saying cost estimates could still change as planning develops.
"We save a fortune by not doing war games, as long as we are negotiating in good faith - which both sides are!" Trump tweeted in June following his meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
North Korea had long sought an end to the exercises, which it says are provocative. US military leaders have said the exercises are necessary to maintain the readiness of US troops in South Korea.

Parade is a shit-ton cheaper than a large scale military exercise.  Just sayin.

Also, shouldn't our allies be throwing us a parade for helping turn the tide in WWI?  Just askin...

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Also, shouldn't our allies be throwing us a parade for helping turn the tide in WWI?  Just askin...

Ordinarily, I'd agree.  Ships and sailors and soldiers and aircraft operating costs ain't cheap.

From the article:

Pentagon spokesman Col. Rob Manning told reporters earlier this month that the now-cancelled US-South Korea Freedom Guardian Exercise was estimated to cost approximately $14 million.

Now, maybe Col. Rob Manning was wrong, and it's closer to $14 billion.  Pentagon accounting and all.  But until the Pentagon offers a retraction, you have to assume his numbers are fact. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ll just say, if you’re a kid, a military parade is kick ass.  

Watching tanks and soldiers with machine guns marching in your town is pretty neat, if you’re a seven year old.

There wont be any tanks or brads.....just rolling stock from what I understand. 

The logistics and potential for damage makes the track vehicles a no-go. Plus they'd leak fluid all over the place. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Ordinarily, I'd agree.  Ships and sailors and soldiers and aircraft operating costs ain't cheap.

From the article:

Now, maybe Col. Rob Manning was wrong, and it's closer to $14 billion.  Pentagon accounting and all.  But until the Pentagon offers a retraction, you have to assume his numbers are fact. 

I'm going to go out on a short limb and say this is a typo or misunderstanding. $14 million wouldn't even begin to scratch the surface of the cost of jet fuel. 

16 hours ago, slorch said:

But the military exercise includes a lot of sunk costs and ups conflict preparedness.  The parade does nothing and requires people and equipment to be moved from their current task/location to a city where they arent stationed.  Are there 7000 ready beds for servicemembers in DC?  I dont think Trump's hotel can fit them all, but I'm sure we will be paying peak pricing to house top brass there. 

16 hours ago, slorch said:

200_d.gif

Just askin....

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, slorch said:

I can promise you the participants aren't particularly thrilled...

Yup. We FUCKING HATE dog and pony shows. This is literally a dog and pony show. They are the bane of any service member's existence.

Never mind that they detract from every units overall readiness as the units participating must prep for it, then the units not involved have to cover down on the mission that is still on-going while this dumbfuckery takes place. The purpose of every unit and the men and women in those units is to be mission-ready. When units are unable to perform their mission, they are wasting large sums of tax dollars.

• Like 2

If we really want to show off our military prowess, wouldn't the best examples be some nerd in a hoodie developing cyberops tools, another guy with a joystick flying a drone in some far away locale, our weaponized satellites, and then somebody in a biohazard suit walking around with some testtubes?  I mean, it wouldn't be a very sexy parade but it would scare the shit out of our enemies. 

The Army reorganization, "Futures Command" won't have a big secret base with two decorative tanks and anti-aircraft guns positioned at the main gate.  It'll be spread across a half dozen office and classroom buildings with nothing more than a keycard swipe and an MP with instructions not to give shit to people just because they have loop earrings.  

shit, now that I typed that, Trump will reposition his idiocy and say, "My disinformation campaign against out enemies worked beautifully.  While they were looking at our tanks and planes and marching troops...we were securing our cyber networks and developing warfare two generations ahead of them.  What a wonderful distraction.  I am a master distractor!"  

The N. Koreans can gloat because their parades are bigger and they have running goose steppers.

We just have guys that can fight and don't waste time learning dance moves to thrill the fearless leader.

Advantage Aggie N. Korea

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

The N. Koreans can gloat because their parades are bigger and they have running goose steppers.

We just have guys that can fight and don't waste time learning dance moves to thrill the fearless leader.

Advantage Aggie N. Korea

still advantage aggy. they have the same decorator and choreographer.

36 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Yup. We FUCKING HATE dog and pony shows. This is literally a dog and pony show. They are the bane of any service member's existence.

Never mind that they detract from every units overall readiness as the units participating must prep for it, then the units not involved have to cover down on the mission that is still on-going while this dumbfuckery takes place. The purpose of every unit and the men and women in those units is to be mission-ready. When units are unable to perform their mission, they are wasting large sums of tax dollars.

33 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Advantage Aggie N. Korea

Hell, the aggy band are already prolific goose steppers.  Just send them up to DC instead.  Paint camo on a handful of Hummer H2s to go with them.  Maybe let them bring that Howitzer they tried to shell Baylor with back in the day.  Trump wouldn't know the difference.  Plus aggy would do the Hitler salutes that Trump wants while the actual military wouldn't..

58 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I was one of the poor bastards lining the street in the 1989 inauguration parade.  I had been in for a whopping 5 months at the time, pretty much straight out of Marine Corps boot camp.  At first, I thought it would be pretty cool.  Then after about 2 seconds of preparation, I realized it was going to be the suck.  On the day of the parade, we were on the buses sometime around 04:00 or so.  They bused us up from Quantico and then we got into a formation for instructions.  Stay at parade rest until Reagan's presidential limo drives by.  Come to attention, render hand salute, then back to parade rest until the color guard and Bush come by.  Then we marched out and got into our positions on the route.  Holy shit, was it ever cold that day.  We were on the parade route very early.  I can't remember how long we stood there, but it seemed like 36 hours or so (yeah, exaggeration is my thing). 

Yes, these types of things just suck for the service members involved. 

Edited to add: I did get a real spiffy Certification of Appreciation with a stamped signature of some Army Brigadier General.  That made it all worthwhile.

Edited by You don't know me

1 minute ago, You don't know me said:

I was one of the poor bastards lining the street in the 1989 inauguration parade.  I had been in for a whopping 5 months at the time, pretty much straight out of Marine Corps boot camp.  At first, I thought it would be pretty cool.  Then after about 2 seconds of preparation, I realized it was going to be the suck.  On the day of the parade, we were on the buses sometime around 04:00 or so.  They bused us up from Quantico and then we got into a formation for instructions.  Stay at parade rest until Reagan's presidential limo drives by.  Come to attention, render hand salute, then back to parade rest until the color guard and Bush come by.  Then we marched out and got into our positions on the route.  Holy shit, was it ever cold that day.  We were on the parade route very early.  I can't remember how long we stood there, but it seemed like 36 hours or so (yeah, exaggeration is my thing). 

Yes, these types of things just suck for the service members involved. 

Sounds about right. Gotta love the ability of military leadership to make every subordinate arrive 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior to... etc. Fucking good idea fairies get in their ears and make a soup sandwich of everygoddamn thing they can.

At least you had the excuse of pleading ignorance of what you were getting yourself into. The poor bastards now... fuck every bit of that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Sounds about right. Gotta love the ability of military leadership to make every subordinate arrive 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior to... etc. Fucking good idea fairies get in their ears and make a soup sandwich of everygoddamn thing they can.

At least you had the excuse of pleading ignorance of what you were getting yourself into. The poor bastards now... fuck every bit of that.

Yep.  Battalion Commander tells SgtMaj formation at 07:00.  SgtMaj tells 1stSgts that formation is at 06:45. 1stSgts tell platoon Sgts that formation as at 06:30.  Platoon Sgts tell everyone to be there at 06:15.  Fuck...

16 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Hell, the aggy band are already prolific goose steppers.  Just send them up to DC instead.  Paint camo on a handful of Hummer H2s to go with them.  Maybe let them bring that Howitzer they tried to shell Baylor with back in the day.  Trump wouldn't know the difference.  Plus aggy would do the Hitler salutes that Trump wants while the actual military wouldn't..

Plus they have a tank they can borrow. 

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

My Fox news brainwashed in-laws are attending this parade. They booked their room at Trump Hotel DC back in March. 

The people who took their reservation are probably laughing their asses off.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

We need Obama back so we can continue to socially experiment with our military.   Transgender troops, gays living with straights, women in infantry and SOF....  A parade is absolutely  ridiculous as compared to the extremely productive things Obama was doing.  

• Fuck You 7

8 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

We need Obama back so we can continue to socially experiment with our military.   Transgender troops, gays living with straights, women in infantry and SOF....  A parade is absolutely  ridiculous as compared to the extremely productive things Obama was doing.  

Creative use of what about Obama. By golly, the parade seems like a good thing now and the soldiers seem petty for complaining. 

I don’t think the soldiers were complaining.  Many prior service folks were lamenting for them.

It’s a fucking beating.  Like I said, the reasons service members like parades are few and far between.

42 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Creative use of what about Obama. By golly, the parade seems like a good thing now and the soldiers seem petty for complaining. 

The soldiers complained about gays, women, transgenders too.  Cost way more than a parade too.  Where was your faux outrage and sympathy for the troops then?

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Austin Orange said:

The soldiers complained about gays, women, transgenders too.  Cost way more than a parade too.  Where was your faux outrage and sympathy for the troops then?

Thanks for asking about my faux outrage. Very kind of you. Thanks also for further revealing your own attitudes and insistence on making an irrelevant comparison.

You faux outraged, bro?