2018 Military Parade

Pancho

14 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I suppose some of y’all ate thinking these guys are gonna be put up in DC’s nicest hotels. 

Well yeah.  They're all staying at the Trump International Hotel at double rate peak pricing.  Its nice, I would imagine.  I've never been there.

It's true, the trains do run on a reduced schedule, because Washington DC is an American City that *checks notes* observes the five day work week.

IT's also the 6th most visited city in America and a living city. 

Look, it takes 2.5 days to pull something off like this:  You close downtown on Friday, start towing people, set up barricades, etc. etc. Somebody has to pay metro if you want it to run on a normal schedle.  Then they move the units into town over night and position them, mostly in the 3rd and 9th street tunnels.  Then you start lining everyone up on Capitol Hill, do the parade, then break everything down.  It's not a small endeavor, it costs a lot of money, and most of the local residents won't attend. Which is how you get half empty stands and empty streets, just like the inauguration.

Also, there are no naval bases in NYC or San Francisco.  Both bases were closed during BRAC in 94. Try harder.

Edited by Bateshorn

8 minutes ago, Publiushorn said:

100 horses?

I have no idea where they will get those. Even more mind blowing is 100 vehicles!!!! Most likely will have to tap into military bases on other side of the Mississippi River to get that much rolling stock. 

Bates, you live in DC. How many military vehicles would you guess are in the DC area. 12-14?

Edited by Austin Orange
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Well, if you want to see a bunch of Humvees on parade, then you got it.

Since the president wanted tanks, They may have to look somewhere else.

DOTUS dodged the military.  He won't notice the difference.

tanklift-thumb-570x370-122303.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

hXQ4NFZ.png

This idiot can't figure out the difference in a useless parade to boost a draft dodger's ego and fleet week. You expect him to understand how multi-quoting works? GLWT

1 hour ago, Austin Orange said:

They’ll probably drive up from Fort Belvoir, Quantico, Annapolis, etc..., do the parade, and then drive home.  

Lol

35 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

No tracked vehicles, cowboy. Bad for city streets.

Where will we find 100 wheeled vehicles? 

Stykers, LAVs, 7-tons, Anti-tank vehicles, MRAPs, etc...  certainly none of these are in units near DC?  Just HMMWV in DC area, right?

They will haul them up front Forts Lee and Jackson to name two. 

What is with all this honor guard shit?  They aren't all going to be running precision drills.  The majority of those dudes are going to be told to move forward and not kick the guy in front of him shoes.  When they pass by DOTUS they all will turn to him and hand salute.  That's it.  They aren't going to be twirling guns and tossing that shit in the air while doing a 1080 mctwist.  The guys driving the vehicles are gonna be told for the love of God drive slow and don't run no motherfucker over.

Congrats to Austin Orange for abandoning his misdirection about social experiments in the Army and sticking to an obsessive desire to see the US hold a military parade that is more the tradition of autocracies than the United States.

His arguments cause me to lay aside the objections of 89% of the military and suggest that we hold the parades on every major holiday.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Congrats to Austin Orange for abandoning his misdirection about social experiments in the Army and sticking to an obsessive desire to see the US hold a military parade that is more the tradition of autocracies than the United States.

His arguments cause me to lay aside the objections of 89% of the military and suggest that we hold the parades on every major holiday.

We can talk more about the social experimenting.  Are you in the camp of, “if everyone can meet the standard, they should be allowed?” I thought I buried that argument when we actually looked at the standards and they were different for men and women, and unidentifiable for trans. No? 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

We can talk more about the social experimenting.  Are you in the camp of, “if everyone can meet the standard, they should be allowed?” I thought I buried that argument when we actually looked at the standards and they were different for men and women, and unidentifiable for trans. No? 

Ohhhhh. And you were doing so well staying on topic.

You buried that argument better than any argument has ever been buried. Better than the world has ever seen. Believe me.

Don't listen to the low IQ types. MAGA!

5 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

Or Quantico and Fort Belvoir

I am not a veteran nor active duty, but my son is, and I have read on this board, from vets, that neither Belvoir nor Quantico have sufficient manpower nor hardware to fill out a parade. As I am sure you know Fort Lee is a joint base and the army’s “Home of Ordnance.” Plenty of wheeled vehicles there and soldiers in AIT. As it’s near Richmond, it’s reasonably close to DC. 

And I misspoke when I said Jackson. I meant Stewart, way down near Savannah. (Jackson is primarily a training base. They won’t be sending boot camp recruits.) 

My vet buddy told me unequivocally that they will be sending personnel and vehicles up from Stewart. As he currently lives on Capitol  Hill and works as a security analyst for the United States Congress, I lend his words more credence than yours. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I suppose some of y’all ate thinking these guys are gonna be put up in DC’s nicest hotels. 

Apparently you have never travelled on government per diem.  The hotels they put us in were pretty fucking badass.  If they don't house them on base they will have them in some pretty swanky hotels.  We dont stay in motel 6.

It occurs to me that the only time we have military parades is after winning a way. That tradition is similar to the Roman Triumph. As a rule, the Roman Republic preferred troops in the field be kept at a distance so as not to threaten republican rule. The tyrants Marius and Sulla brought their armies to Rome to begin the fall of the republic.

Americans supposedly celebrate the Constitution not military might. I think that's a worthy tradition.

4 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Apparently you have never travelled on government per diem.  The hotels they put us in were pretty fucking badass.  If they don't house them on base they will have them in some pretty swanky hotels.  We dont stay in motel 6.

Vets have told me they will be on cots in gyms. No hotels. 

1 hour ago, Austin Orange said:

Stykers, LAVs, 7-tons, Anti-tank vehicles, MRAPs, etc...  certainly none of these are in units near DC?  Just HMMWV in DC area, right?

No tracked vehicles? Our greatest president ever demanded tanks. 

Its gonna be Seal Team 6.  Then a procession of every current general and admiral who will each stop to kneel before our emperor and pay respect. Then a tank to start the show, followed by a minuteman missile, and then a B2 bomber. Then the coup de Grace. The USS Gerald Ford will come down the road on a custom built rolling platform. Several city blocks will be destroyed so this spectacle can occur. It will then be rechristened the USS Donald J Trump.  Finally, Grant's coffin will be carried down the route so that his corpse can finally pay its respects to the President who saved the union better than Lincoln. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Since most police departments feel the need to use their budget on military grade equipment, maybe they will share some of their stuff for the parade.

There is a 100000% chance that police departments will shove their way into this thing too, just like they have started squatting on Memorial Day and convincing idiots to say "....and first responders" during any Memorial Day tribute.

27 minutes ago, TornACL said:

There is a 100000% chance that police departments will shove their way into this thing too, just like they have started squatting on Memorial Day and convincing idiots to say "....and first responders" during any Memorial Day tribute.

I'll be straight up, I don't have a problem with anyone who puts their lives on the line for ithers being honored. I know it's the 'in' thing to hate on cops, but 98% of them deserve the respect. Firefighters too...hell, they get shot at more than I ever did as a Marine. 

Not necessarily Memorial Day, but general recognition. 

Edited by slorch

46 minutes ago, Austin Orange said:

Between that source, your security analyst friend, and what you are hearing down at 31 Flavors, you clearly have the best info on the subject. Thank you for sharing. 

I would have said cots in aircraft hangars or some kind of tent city at Andrews.  They aren’t going to scatter thousands of soldiers and Marines around DC in various swanky hotels.  Making sure they are all present and accounted for before the parade would be a fucking nightmare for troops who don’t want to be even be there.

At most, they are going to have them in as few locations as possible so that they can easily move them to the parade start point.  That’s not counting the poor schmucks who have to stay with the vehicles.

It won’t be like Harvey where soldiers were sleeping on the floors of school gyms, but they ain’t staying in fancy places either.

• Like 1

At least the Skins are on the road that weekend lol. 

DC hasn’t seen a military parade since the Desert Storm victory shindig, which was about the same size this one will be. It was a bit of a clusterfuck. Read the contemporary accounts.

It was underattended and over budget, and the Kuwaitis and Saudis chipped in a million apiece to pay for it. And we were actually celebrating a triumph that time, not slobbing the knob of a draft dodger. 

And no, they didn’t just round up whoever was sitting around Quantico and Belvoir. They had to bring in personnel from as far away as Germany. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I would have said cots in aircraft hangars or some kind of tent city at Andrews.  They aren’t going to scatter thousands of soldiers and Marines around DC in various swanky hotels.  Making sure they are all present and accounted for before the parade would be a fucking nightmare for troops who don’t want to be even be there.

At most, they are going to have them in as few locations as possible so that they can easily move them to the parade start point.  That’s not counting the poor schmucks who have to stay with the vehicles.

It won’t be like Harvey where soldiers were sleeping on the floors of school gyms, but they ain’t staying in fancy places either.

Monk seems like he was in the Air Force: “The Army and Marines sleep under the stars. The Navy navigates by them. The Air Force counts them on their hotels.”

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Monk seems like he was in the Air Force: “The Army and Marines sleep under the stars. The Navy navigates by them. The Air Force counts them on their hotels.”

Fuck you.  I was in the navy on a submarine you prick.  I just TAD' d a lot for schools and shit.

4 hours ago, Austin Orange said:

Why would those be in DC ?  None of the Military Unita that use those are based here.  I’m not being snide. Do you think because it’s Washington, DC that combat units are based here?

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

It occurs to me that the only time we have military parades is after winning a way. That tradition is similar to the Roman Triumph. As a rule, the Roman Republic preferred troops in the field be kept at a distance so as not to threaten republican rule. The tyrants Marius and Sulla brought their armies to Rome to begin the fall of the republic.

Americans supposedly celebrate the Constitution not military might. I think that's a worthy tradition.

Username checks out

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, slorch said:

I'll be straight up, I don't have a problem with anyone who puts their lives on the line for ithers being honored. I know it's the 'in' thing to hate on cops, but 98% of them deserve the respect. Firefighters too...hell, they get shot at more than I ever did as a Marine. 

Not necessarily Memorial Day, but general recognition. 

Dammit. I'm gonna agree with slorch.  Except, I'm gonna say include them in memorial day because its aptly named.  First responders should be recognized a hell of a lot more than they are.  We remember the firefighters that went up the twin towers on 9-11, but we don't remember the firefighters that went up in an average apartment building on a random friday night and saved multiple people but didn't make it out themselves.  But we should remember them.  And same for cops that put their lives on the line for us citizens.