2018 Military Parade

Pancho

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's got to be the worst possible place to deploy a FartingMonk. 

haha.  it's even worse.  i was stuck in this 8x10 box with 3 other people called "maneuvering" where I operate the control rods.  One day the Electrical operator decides to fart and laugh about it when it stunk up the place.  I'm like Israel and hit back 50 fold for every incursion.  The next morning, I ate cereal with extra milk(lactose)  For the next 6 hours the 3 guys in there including the officer is saying Fartingmonk, look the jokes over.  It smells like rotten hell in here.  

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Both of them?

Zing.  71 police officers died on 911 alone. 

And let's google.

Eric Mumaw drowned saving someone from a river. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2017/02/02/water-rescue-efforts-underway-madison/97388112/

And on a day when someone in your state targeted cops, killing a few of them, one of them sacrificed himself to save someone else. 

https://nypost.com/2016/07/10/thank-you-for-being-heroes-wounded-dallas-mom-thanks-cops/

Hey, I'm more about black lives matter than most, but it isnt a zero sum game. When deadly events happen, heroes run towards it, while you're running away.

It doesn't excuse the fact that some of them treat black people like second class citizens. But all cops arent equal. We are able to celebrate memorial day and give respect to soldiers who lost their lives without conflating them with the dickheads at Abu Ghraib. We can certainly afford the cops who died saving civilians the same luxury. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

Law enforcement has police day, police week, and a peace officer day.  

Memorial Day is for soldiers.  It's high time we remind LEO they are not soldiers.  And fuck them for thinking they are.

This is the correct answer.

Conflating police officers with soldiers is exactly how we've ended up with militarized police forces treating citizens like the enemy. Police officers and firefighters are not soldiers. They are not the military. And they should not be acknowledged as such on a day of remembrance intended for military personnel.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is the correct answer.

Conflating police officers with soldiers is exactly how we've ended up with militarized police forces treating citizens like the enemy. Police officers and firefighters are not soldiers. They are not the military. And they should not be acknowledged as such on a day of remembrance intended for military personnel.

Memorial day is for remembrance of fallen servicemembers. It is not about all or living servicemembers. Nobody is suggesting that police officers or firefighters be honored on veterans day. But let's not pretend that it isnt also a huge sacrifice to run into a burning building to get your grandma out. 

However, I actually think we should make 911 a national holiday and honor fallen first responders then. 

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Memorial day is for remembrance of fallen servicemembers.

Memorial day is for the military. Or, to put it in the words of the DOVA website, Memorial Day "commemorates the men and women who died while in the military service."

What Huck said is correct. Conflating the two is a huge problem.

Edited by hpslugga

16 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Memorial day is for remembrance of fallen servicemembers. It is not about all or living servicemembers. Nobody is suggesting that police officers or firefighters be honored on veterans day. But let's not pretend that it isnt also a huge sacrifice to run into a burning building to get your grandma out. 

However, I actually think we should make 911 a national holiday and honor fallen first responders then. 

This is simply incorrect as hpslugga pointed out. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for fallen military service members.

And I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with a separate day for first responders, it's a far better idea than including them in Memorial Day.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

This is simply incorrect as hpslugga pointed out. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for fallen military service members.

And I wouldn't necessarily have an issue with a separate day for first responders, it's a far better idea than including them in Memorial Day.

I said servicemembers. How is that incorrect?  PD and FD arent ever called servicemembers.  As far as I know that term is only used for the military.  

But if we are going to play the super specific game, you are also incorrect. Memorial day is to remember fallen American military servicemembers who died while in service.  

14 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

First responders should be recognized a hell of a lot more than they are.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. There's already a National Firefighter's Day (May 4) and National Peace Officers Memorial Day (May 15) and the calendar week in which May 15 falls, is National Police Week. Ever since 9/11 there has been this transformation of peace officers to "first responders" and wanting to elevate them to some special pedestal. Police weren't battling the enemy in a Pacific island jungle or storming the beach in Normandy under relentless fire. They are sitting on the side of the road in the dark running radar to collect cash while they work through a box of Krispy Kreme. They don't deserve to be included in Memorial Day. 

54 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. There's already a National Firefighter's Day (May 4) and National Peace Officers Memorial Day (May 15) and the calendar week in which May 15 falls, is National Police Week. Ever since 9/11 there has been this transformation of peace officers to "first responders" and wanting to elevate them to some special pedestal. Police weren't battling the enemy in a Pacific island jungle or storming the beach in Normandy under relentless fire. They are sitting on the side of the road in the dark running radar to collect cash while they work through a box of Krispy Kreme. They don't deserve to be included in Memorial Day. 

I agree with not including them in Memorial Day. My point earlier is that I was fine with public recognition and July 4th parades/etc. 

Agreed, but there are some good ones too. Shit-ton of prior service guys too.  They tend to be less high strung and have less need to 'assert' themselves. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

SIr, are you saying that Assault on Precinct 13 is not a documentary?

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

In an ever-changing world it pays to be supple tactically and not get locked into old thinking.

For instance, if future battles turn out to be decided by push of pike, you will give thanks that our troops practiced close-order drill.

Damn those Grand Fenvickians. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-mv_6-b5ybZ2_hrFJVFX

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

In an ever-changing world it pays to be supple tactically and not get locked into old thinking.

For instance, if future battles turn out to be decided by push of pike, you will give thanks that our troops practiced close-order drill.

quote-a-woman-s-body-is-a-dark-and-monst

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Read that in Movie Preview Narrator Guy voice. I'd watch that film.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 12:03 AM, Austin Orange said:

We need Obama back so we can continue to socially experiment with our military.   Transgender troops, gays living with straights, women in infantry and SOF....  A parade is absolutely  ridiculous as compared to the extremely productive things Obama was doing.  

I’m for all the groups listed being allowed to join the military if it means my kids don’t have to worry about getting shot up in some shithole.

18 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, like our corporate overlords are going to approve another paid day off for the minions.