Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

I mean, in a constitutional republic, the qualifications of representatives will reflect the qualifications of the voters.

AOC is far from being the least qualified representative. That’s not an endorsement, either.

2 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I mean, in a constitutional republic, the qualifications of representatives will reflect the qualifications of the voters.

AOC is far from being the least qualified representative. That’s not an endorsement, either.

It's not....but here's the thing.....I actually don't mind "unqualified" people in the House.  It's the people's House.  It's the body most suited for representation by "the common man."  I don't care if the person is raw and green, whether they come from the left or right.  I DO expect them to at least have some recognition of their limitations (a learning curve for AOC, and one she's been taken to school on by leadership and by the process).  But if there's one place that we can handle some folks who aren't "qualified professional politicians," it's the House (and that goes for the state level as well).

The whole show shouldn't be run by them, but I like having their voices there.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's not....but here's the thing.....I actually don't mind "unqualified" people in the House.  It's the people's House.  It's the body most suited for representation by "the common man."  I don't care if the person is raw and green, whether they come from the left or right.  I DO expect them to at least have some recognition of their limitations (a learning curve for AOC, and one she's been taken to school on by leadership and by the process).  But if there's one place that we can handle some folks who aren't "qualified professional politicians," it's the House (and that goes for the state level as well).

Well said, and I certainly agree.

But even when we assess how qualified they are, we all have different rubrics. Some are better than others.

In my view, the ability to rethink one's position, weigh counterarguments, and accept criticism is a significant qualification -- and moreso than the extent to which one has memorized the full body of knowledge of how the government operates (i.e. "who knows the most stuff"). But even on the crude grounds of who knows the most stuff, AOC's Republican detractors are largely projecting. She's at least as knowledgeable as most of her colleagues across the aisle.

Edited by ndawg
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  And I'm curious what most House members' qualifications were when they were only 10 months in to the job.  This seems like an odd complaint, largely brought by the same people who say they want term limits are sick of professional politicians.  What exactly qualifies someone to be a freshman congressperson?

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

While it was obvious from the start, it's been confirmed that the lady was a pro-Trump troll.  AOC says she thought the lady may have mental issues and has been trained to deescalate, so she didn't push back.

No surprise that many on the right took the bait, though.

I guess it's also no surprise that so many people are unfamiliar with Jonathan Swift.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Even if she isn't a plant, some deranged person shouting makes AOC guilty or proves man-made climate change isn't real? I don't even understand what the point of promoting that video is by the right.

It all sounds the same to them. They think all the climate scientists in the world sound exactly like the crazy person/plant. In short, they are all really fucking stupid. Especially Zork. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It all sounds the same to them. They think all the climate scientists in the world sound exactly like the crazy person/plant. In short, they are all really fucking stupid. Especially Zork. 

Is it stupid to want the government employees to adhere to their own rules?  No government building heated above 65 degrees or cooled below 78 degrees*.  When is that going to happen?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/energy-stars-thermostat-recommendations-surprise-internet/story?id=65072381

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, zork said:

Is it stupid to want the government employees to adhere to their own rules?  No government building heated above 65 degrees or cooled below 78 degrees*.  When is that going to happen?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/energy-stars-thermostat-recommendations-surprise-internet/story?id=65072381

Al Gore took a plane! It must be a hoax!!!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zork said:

Thank you for proving my point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

While it was obvious from the start, it's been confirmed that the lady was a pro-Trump troll.  AOC says she thought the lady may have mental issues and has been trained to deescalate, so she didn't push back.

No surprise that many on the right took the bait, though.

Where was that confirmed?  I watched it for a sec and just assumed she was batshit crazy

12 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

well, it would be an odd coalition.  Anti-abortion and pro grilled baby pork chops voters. 

No more odd than evangelical Christians voting for a serial adulterer.

These people come together based on what they're against, not what they're for.

Edited by Dirk X West

50 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Not really, a lot of LaRouchers are Trumpers now.

Really?  That doesn’t make much sense.  larouchers at least were at one point consisted far left communists. I don’t see how they would align with Trump. 

Edit:  never mind. I see they are more right wing than I thought 

Edited by Xian

34 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

No more odd than evangelical Christians voting for a serial adulterer.

These people come together based on what they're against, not what they're for.

Abortion is killing humans!

I know right? Also these human flesh tacos you made Margret, are delicious!

On 10/1/2019 at 12:13 PM, lemonlime said:

Yes.  And I'm curious what most House members' qualifications were when they were only 10 months in to the job.  This seems like an odd complaint, largely brought by the same people who say they want term limits are sick of professional politicians.  What exactly qualifies someone to be a freshman congressperson?

Get the most votes. Duh.

9 hours ago, zork said:

That's it?  That's all you want?

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

78 degrees is totally acceptable during day. I run that, and drop it to 76 at night. Of course I have lived most of life without central a/c. 

During my 9 Months As A Semi-Meskin In Mesko, I never even had a fan. I mean, I thought about getting a fan. Me and the school cleaning lady strategized about where they had the best price on one. But I mean, 300 pesos for a fan, when you're getting paid in pesos? That's 20 micheladas weyyyy.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez