Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, Anastasis said:

Maybe instead of abolishing the EC we should break up the country. The core issue seems to be that people in various regions do not want the will of the people in various other regions imposed on them. So take away the mechanism. Replace it with an economic zone and maybe mutual defense.  Otherwise, let people be.

Fuck yes. Set California free! 

On 11/1/2019 at 6:24 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Beauty of the system. If you just have to be rules by a set of politics you are free to move. CA, NY. The spots of blue that you want to have a say over the entire red country. 

2,600 voting counties Trump

460 voting counties Hill

it works perfectly. Especially when CA is “stuffing the popular vote ballot” with open borders 

who could ever forget the words "We, the Counties of the United States of America, in Order to form a more perfect Union ... ."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

Amazon promised 25k jobs over 15 years years, not right out of the gate you smooth brained. That's also their own wildly optimistic number

I was going to say, wasn’t that the number they used similarly to what most corporate beggars use when they are trying to get citizens on board with the subsidy. Rick Perry loved to do that. 

“Oh, it will bring 5000 jobs....” and then five years later it’s nowhere near that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GSU&UT said:

Amazon promised 25k jobs over 15 years years, not right out of the gate you smooth brained. That's also their own wildly optimistic number

Conservatives are fucking idiots and suckers when any capital siren sings his sweet song at them.

See: Scott Walker & Foxconn

(and countless other examples)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I love her :):)

Background Info:

Amazon wanted $3B in subsidies to build an HQ in NYC. AOC helped shut down the effort to provide those subsidies.

Amazon is building there anyway.

Love her too. She has some very bright and innovative minds advising her. She is a force . . . for good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Background Info:

Amazon wanted $3B in subsidies to build an HQ in NYC. AOC helped shut down the effort to provide those subsidies.

How exactly did she help? That shit was way local. Her help was really only fox fixated on her, She has no say on whether amazon comes or doesn’t to LIC.  

edit: for the record, fuck the lic amazon deal. We all hated it. I called my reps, as did my friends/gf, and told them we were against the deal. No one here looked to aoc for shit. Attributing any part of the deal, good or bad, to aoc is just misinformed. 

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Background Info:

NYC does not want that HQ, but at least she, in small part, helped stop the handing out of free money to the company. That competition to decide who got them was just awful. She's my representative and I am proud of how she has handled herself her first year. Washington needs more young firebrands just like her.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, achooloco said:

How exactly did she help? That shit was way local. Her help was really only fox fixated on her, She has no say on whether amazon comes or doesn’t to LIC.  

edit: for the record, fuck the lic amazon deal. We all hated it. I called my reps, as did my friends/gf, and told them we were against the deal. No one here looked to aoc for shit. Attributing any part of the deal, good or bad, to aoc is just misinformed. 

She has no say, but she was vocal about the stupidity of it being located here and she did what she could to undermine financial incentives to Amazon. I applaud that. I would say the largest portion of credit goes to local politicians and people behind the scenes, but that does not make for a story anyone will read. She helped and that's good. 

23 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

She has no say, but she was vocal about the stupidity of it being located here and she did what she could to undermine financial incentives to Amazon. I applaud that. I would say the largest portion of credit goes to local politicians and people behind the scenes, but that does not make for a story anyone will read. She helped and that's good. 

Eh... I like her and think she has done fine this year (aside from the choice of bar earlier this year) but almost all Credit (not just largest portion)  goes to the locals. I personally Don’t really care for the story of how it looks but I do get your meaning. The news needs to seek a story in order to sell ads.

but “We” could have done it without her so she did help but she was tangential. Forcing her into the story is A Fox News agenda; and fuck them or buying into anything they say. she said it sucked, great, but This really has nothing to do with her, regardless of good or bad outcomes for lic/ASTORIA/sunnyside 

21 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Eh... I like her and think she has done fine this year (aside from the choice of bar earlier this year) but almost all Credit (not just largest portion)  goes to the locals. I personally Don’t really care for the story of how it looks but I do get your meaning. The news needs to seek a story in order to sell ads.

but “We” could have done it without her so she did help but she was tangential. Forcing her into the story is A Fox News agenda; and fuck them or buying into anything they say. she said it sucked, great, but This really has nothing to do with her, regardless of good or bad outcomes for lic/ASTORIA/sunnyside 

I absolutely believe this adds to the Fox narrative against her. Fox is a horrifically evil news organization. What I like about her is that she just stands up for what she believes and does not back down when her party tells her to. She sticks to her guns. 

I live off of Ditmars. Even if her help was just .0001 in the effort to stop the city from handing Amazon billions I am thankful. I am thankful to every local, politician or citizen, who stopped that payment. It is better to just embrace everyone who is trying to do good vs. parsing out credit for victories on issues. 

And yes her bar choice could have been better. I do her job for a living, albeit in mid-town, but yes not the best choice by her. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Have you visited Kansas?

Fuck no and I don’t plan to. My point is that look at these Great R states that offer all these tax benefits and companies are going we aren’t going there because no worth their shit will move their family there because it sucks.

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was going to say, wasn’t that the number they used similarly to what most corporate beggars use when they are trying to get citizens on board with the subsidy. Rick Perry loved to do that. 

“Oh, it will bring 5000 jobs....” and then five years later it’s nowhere near that. 

Source for that? Every large incentives deal I have ever worked on includes job requirements, salaries etc, within the abatement and or bond agreements that allow a clawback of the money if requirements aren’t met down the road. And they do get reviewed annually.

4 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Source for that? Every large incentives deal I have ever worked on includes job requirements, salaries etc, within the abatement and or bond agreements that allow a clawback of the money if requirements aren’t met down the road. And they do get reviewed annually.

I was going off of memory as it related to the Texas Enterprise Fund but some links at the bottom are what I remember from the brouhaha. Yes, the incentives deals have requirements and clawbacks/penalties but would you agree that the enforcement of that would be dependent upon the rigor of the individual state or local agency in charge? I also believe that over time, oversight has gotten a lot better and municipalities have citizens with growing awareness that attracting businesses is a good thing, but that without enough of that oversight, the money might be better spent elsewhere.

The reason I mentioned TEF was how Perry very capably leveraged the grants with donations to his personal campaign fund. In some cases, companies did create a number of jobs, some companies even exceeded the number estimated and yes, some companies paid penalties after the TEF had a large audit in 2014, but overall, I did not believe it to be a wise use of taxpayer dollars.YMMV.

https://www.texastribune.org/2014/09/25/auditor-perrys-business-fund-doled-out-millions-wi/

https://www.sao.texas.gov/reports/main/15-003.pdf

https://www.nbizmag.com/magarticles/TexasEnterpriseFund.pdf

The article below was originally published in the AAS but that's behind a paywall, so this link has the reprint.

https://www.mercatus.org/commentary/enterprise-fund-gives-texans-money-their-competitors

42 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was going off of memory as it related to the Texas Enterprise Fund but some links at the bottom are what I remember from the brouhaha. Yes, the incentives deals have requirements and clawbacks/penalties but would you agree that the enforcement of that would be dependent upon the rigor of the individual state or local agency in charge? I also believe that over time, oversight has gotten a lot better and municipalities have citizens with growing awareness that attracting businesses is a good thing, but that without enough of that oversight, the money might be better spent elsewhere.

The reason I mentioned TEF was how Perry very capably leveraged the grants with donations to his personal campaign fund. In some cases, companies did create a number of jobs, some companies even exceeded the number estimated and yes, some companies paid penalties after the TEF had a large audit in 2014, but overall, I did not believe it to be a wise use of taxpayer dollars.YMMV.

https://www.texastribune.org/2014/09/25/auditor-perrys-business-fund-doled-out-millions-wi/

https://www.sao.texas.gov/reports/main/15-003.pdf

https://www.nbizmag.com/magarticles/TexasEnterpriseFund.pdf

The article below was originally published in the AAS but that's behind a paywall, so this link has the reprint.

https://www.mercatus.org/commentary/enterprise-fund-gives-texans-money-their-competitors

I can’t speak for every individual state, but all the ones I’ve worked in are on a regular audit cycle each year. Once in these programs you typically have an annual requirement to file forms and if they aren’t received and/or you don’t indicate you qualify then they either remove you from the program or reduce benefit based on responses.  

• 1 month later...
  • hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez