Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 12/6/2019 at 10:06 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

3 bil for 25k jobs?

Put your fucking hand back in your pocket bezos.

Yea. I just put pencil to paper, and that works out to roughly $125m per job.

There is also the myth that goes on in all boom towns that x number of jobs are moving to town, but it's more accurate to say that x number of people are moving into the boom town because the jobs won't go to the poor and uneducated.

Well done AOC. Somebody needs to stop this absurd cycle. I doubt that the local populace usually gets much out of it. 

This is what the President had to say about her during his interview Friday. (from the transcript):

AOC knows nothing. Poor student, poor everything and then she comes and she talks about the Green New Deal and all these poor fools. Say, oh, isn't it wonderful? Isn't it wonderful? But as I said last night in Ohio, I don't like talking about the Green New Deal. It's too early. I want to save it for about two weeks before because they may change their mind.

Like Trump, ignore the GND for a moment and take in his contempt not for AOC but for the poor in general. I get it, he has never made any attempt to hide that, but that his viewers will only attribute that contempt to AOC, poor 'misguided delusional liberal students' and GND supporters instead of the lower classes in general is amazing.

Oh, and if he has a mole in his campaign, someone get a copy of to whatever it is he is referring and have a counter op ready because his will be nasty.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:49 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

This is what the President had to say about her during his interview Friday. (from the transcript):

Like Trump, ignore the GND for a moment and take in his contempt not for AOC but for the poor in general. I get it, he has never made any attempt to hide that, but that his viewers will only attribute that contempt to AOC, poor 'misguided delusional liberal students' and GND supporters instead of the lower classes in general is amazing.

Oh, and if he has a mole in his campaign, someone get a copy of to whatever it is he is referring and have a counter op ready because his will be nasty.

Narrator: He's not referring to anything but bullshit.

Hint: Any time he says words to the effect of, "just wait and see", it means he's full of shit.  Wait, let me correct that.  Anytime he says anything, it means he's full of shit.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Really?  Cum Laude from Boston University doesn't say "poor student".

On the other hand, Trump can't say the same about his days as an undergrad at "Wharton" (UPenn).

Projection . . .

Poor as in not wealty, not poor as in not good student.

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Poor as in not wealty, not poor as in not good student.

Uh, no.

"It’s incredible what’s happened to the Democrats in Congress. They used to be supportive of Israel. Today, they are supportive of her and Tlaib – that’s another real winner," Trump said. "Tlaib and AOC, who knows nothing. AOC knows nothing. Poor student, poor everything."

There is no way to take that phrase "poor student" as "lacking in money while in school".

LOL dumb bitch, I'm the owner of a pool cleaning company and really know how business and economics works while she talks about "free" stuff. There's no such thing as a free lunch you dumb bitch!, stupid librul professors ramming Marx through all these kids heads. I'm also so smart that I sunk ten thousand dollars into the Iraqi Dinar in the hopes that the economy improves and I will become a multi-millionaire in the process because that's how economies work.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

OMG, what an air head

Let's stop you right fucking here. She at times goes too far, but she is right. Brown labor is taken advantage of. They are paid less and often times have no idea about it and cannot fight it in court. 

Keep supporting Dotard. I hate to say this about another human being, but you are really stupid. I mean your entire life has led you to a moment where you post that. You are just dumb. You will probably die one day as ignorant as you are now. I would hope for better for you, but that is up to you to not be less educated about the world outside of your ridiculously small bubble. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

LOL dumb bitch, I'm the owner of a pool cleaning company and really know how business and economics works while she talks about "free" stuff. There's no such thing as a free lunch you dumb bitch!, stupid librul professors ramming Marx through all these kids heads. I'm also so smart that I sunk ten thousand dollars into the Iraqi Dinar in the hopes that the economy improves and I will become a multi-millionaire in the process because that's how economies work.

Who are the people pos-repping this Dotard level response.

Look at this shit. We are dealing with adults who have the IQ of an 8 year old to be generous. Good God this is ridiculous.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

Look at this shit. We are dealing with adults who have the IQ of an 8 year old to be generous. Good God this is ridiculous.

Lmao dude, yes I was 100% serious and am a horrible awful person.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Lol. Come on dude. You're on Surly. Read between the lines. 

Let's stop you right fucking here. She at times goes too far, but she is right. Brown labor is taken advantage of. They are paid less and often times have no idea about it and cannot fight it in court. 
Keep supporting Dotard. I hate to say this about another human being, but you are really stupid. I mean your entire life has led you to a moment where you post that. You are just dumb. You will probably die one day as ignorant as you are now. I would hope for better for you, but that is up to you to not be less educated about the world outside of your ridiculously small bubble. 

Brown labor around central texas construction market is pulling in some serious coin. Not sure what you know but you sound like the jackass that doesnt know what is going on. None of our guys will put up with low wages. Youre the racist piece of shit acting like us brown people know no better cause we are dumb and being taken advantage of. These guys know what they are worth and constantly asking for raises cause they know owners know that if they dont give it, the worker can get it around the corner. Fight what in court? Your think there is like slave labor camps like in qatar?wtf? And Who is the dumb fuck?
Pull your head out.
Trump is a fuckin embecile yet is gonna win again cause dems like aoc are spouting this bullshit and no one on that side is calling her out on her bullshit. Pelosi tried (and she was right by the way) and she got shit for it.
And you wonder how mr apprentice orange dotard got elected?
Look in the mirror you dumb ass. Thats how.

42 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

Brown labor around central texas construction market is pulling in some serious coin. Not sure what you know but you sound like the jackass that doesnt know what is going on. None of our guys will put up with low wages. Youre the racist piece of shit acting like us brown people know no better cause we are dumb and being taken advantage of. These guys know what they are worth and constantly asking for raises cause they know owners know that if they dont give it, the worker can get it around the corner. Fight what in court? Your think there is like slave labor camps like in qatar?wtf? And Who is the dumb fuck?
Pull your head out.
Trump is a fuckin embecile yet is gonna win again cause dems like aoc are spouting this bullshit and no one on that side is calling her out on her bullshit. Pelosi tried (and she was right by the way) and she got shit for it.

What AOC policies do you oppose? Can you name one or two of them?  Honest question. 

6 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Pull your head out.

Is it physically painful to be this stupid? There are so many farming jobs that no Americans will perform because it doesn't pay enough. Your experience doesn't mean this isn't happening, perhaps you can lick Jeff Bezos boots some and see if he'll drop some measly crumbs for you to eat.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/05/15/north-carolina-needed-6500-farm-workers-only-7-americans-stuck-it-out/

https://inthesetimes.com/rural-america/entry/21029/migrant-farm-workers-ice-deportations-immigration-policy-agriculture

6 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

This is a fresh take no one's ever heard before. It's not Trump voters and those on the right that have been lecturing the country about personal responsibility who are responsible for Trump's presidency.

It's the Democrats' fault!

They forced voters to vote for a barely in the closet fascist regaling his supporters with fantasies of shooting people on 5th Avenue by being complacent and running an establishment Wall Street Democrat.

NOW they're going to lose to Trump because they're not sufficiently reining in a progressive freshman Congresswoman who isn't even running for president. 

Brilliant analysis.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

This is a fresh take no one's ever heard before. It's not Trump voters and those on the right that have been lecturing the country about personal responsibility who are responsible for Trump's presidency.

It's the Democrats' fault!

They forced voters to vote for a barely in the closet fascist regaling his supporters with fantasies of shooting people on 5th Avenue by being complacent and running an establishment Wall Street Democrat.

NOW they're going to lose to Trump because they're not sufficiently reining in a progressive freshman Congresswoman who isn't even running for president. 

Brilliant analysis.

Who are you gonna blame when he wins?

9 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Who are you gonna blame when he wins?

You misspelled "if". I'm not going to be shocked if he wins or loses. But mostly, Trump voters like this guy.

Mr. Drawe, 69, doubts the wall will do much to stop illegal immigration, and though he supports the president who ordered it, he believes that the construction will “ruin” his life. But selling the land early on seemed better and cheaper than facing the government in court, only to have it take the land anyway, he reasoned.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/26/us/politics/trump-border-wall.html

- Acknowledges Trump #1 policy will ruin his life

- Believes it will do little in achieving its objective

- Continues to support Trump

That's who I mostly blame. Morons.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Lativan Hackers

That's one I hadn't heard before.

W/respect to construction labor, pressing for more wages or taking a walk to the next better paying job is smart, sure, but do the employers follow the law with respect to getting injured, etc or are they are their own? One topic I've discussed before is how the meat packing industry has changed to the point that workers can be let go or 'encouraged' to depart if injured during the probationary period for health benefits. I think one statistic I saw for a midwestern plant was 8% turnover a month for a plant of around three to four thousand. Faster production lines exacerbate the problem and regulation is spotty.

Prior to the rush to immigrant labor (both legal and illegal) the average worker in a meat packing facility earned about $18.00/hour but now (I think?) it is around minimum wage. We pay the least amount for our food and the most for our health care. AOC makes mistakes and says some foolish things, but she is correct that labor has been underserved for a very long time.

Pull your head out.
Ahh yes Brown Labor in one of the hottest markets in the country making fair wages indicative of the rest of the country.

I've been in construction my whole life and a lot of guys are doing well. Despite decades of exploitation. I can't tell you how many people routinely fuck over the hardest working among us because they can get away with it. One wealthy Austin restaurantuer, as an example, routinely fucks over subcontractors and labor for no good reason other than greed. He has better lawyers and knows most brown folks won't even try to fight and even if they did they lawyers get all the money. And that's in a hot market. I can't imagine the abject thievery when jobs are more scarce.
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Ahh yes Brown Labor in one of the hottest markets in the country making fair wages indicative of the rest of the country.

I've been in construction my whole life and a lot of guys are doing well. Despite decades of exploitation. I can't tell you how many people routinely fuck over the hardest working among us because they can get away with it. One wealthy Austin restaurantuer, as an example, routinely fucks over subcontractors and labor for no good reason other than greed. He has better lawyers and knows most brown folks won't even try to fight and even if they did they lawyers get all the money. And that's in a hot market. I can't imagine the abject thievery when jobs are more scarce.

So they're doing good, but also not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Green New Deal should be enough.

And what about the Green New Deal do you dislike?

That it's a non-binding resolution?

That it was modeled after FDR's New Deal?

That it lays out a vision for the country to address climate change in the next decade?

Some specific objections from you would help foster a discussion. Thanks in advance. 

24 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

And what about the Green New Deal do you dislike?

That it's a non-binding resolution?

That it was modeled after FDR's New Deal?

That it lays out a vision for the country to address climate change in the next decade?

Some specific objections from you would help foster a discussion. Thanks in advance. 

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this response.

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lmao.  Retrofitting every single building in America, universal basic income (and making that a precondition to the supposedly urgent bill to save the world from climate change destruction), no fossil fuels by 2030, among a myriad of others ... you seriously think people can’t make specific objections to that piece of marketing nonsense posing as policy?

Hell yes, let's get that "the markets will solve climate change piece by piece over the next 100 years" takes going.

The cost of inaction on climate change would cost more than taking action on climate change - according to the bankers at Citi:

Citi forecasts that the sums of money to be spent on energy (both capital expenditure and fuel) over the next quarter century will be unimaginably large, at around $200 trillion. The energy industry is faced with choices, and in this report, we outline two scenarios: 1) a business as usual or 'Inaction' on climate change scenario, and 2) a different energy mix that offers a lower carbon alternative. We find that out to 2040 the levels of spend are remarkably similar; indeed the 'Action' scenario actually results in an undiscounted saving of $1.8 trillion over the period, as while we spend more on renewables and energy efficiency in the early years, the savings in fuel costs in later years offset earlier investment.

If the scientists are correct, the potential liabilities of not acting are equally vast. The cumulative 'lost' GDP from the impacts of climate change could be significant, with a central case of 0.7%-2.5% of GDP to 2060, equating to $44 trillion on an undiscounted basis. If we derive a risk-adjusted return on the extra capital investment in following a low carbon path, and compare it to the avoided costs of climate change, we see returns at the low point of between 1% and 4%, rising to between 3% and 10% in later years.

So can we afford to act? Examining the extra spend required in our 'Action' scenario in the context of global GDP, we find that on an annual basis we only have to spend around 0.1% of GDP more on energy, and that on a cumulative basis at its worst point, the extra investment only amounts to around 1% of global GDP. Moreover, against a backdrop of secular stagnation, that extra investment may actually help to boost growth.

These changes in energy mix inevitably have significant implications in terms of which fossil fuel assets will be burnt, and which not. Some studies suggest that globally a third of oil reserves, half of gas reserves and >80% of coal reserves would have to remain unused before 2050 for us to have a chance of staying below the 2oC limit. We examine the issue of unburnable carbon and stranded assets, in particular in which countries, industries and companies they are located, and find that at current prices, around $100 trillion of assets could be 'carbon stranded', if not already economically so. The clear loser stands to be the coal industry, though we examine the economics and potential offered by carbon capture and storage.

So how do we make this investment happen? Almost all of the growth in energy demand is forecast to come from emerging markets, while most of the new investment in developed markets will be into energy efficiency, both of which represent challenges to investment. While Development Finance Institutions have to date provided much of the investment in emerging markets, these now find themselves effectively 'maxed out'.

There is a clear need for the investment, balanced by enormous investor appetite for these types of investments; the missing link has been the lack of, and quality of the investment vehicles available. Hence financial markets must innovate to facilitate investment via the creation of new instruments, vehicles and markets. We see the greatest opportunity in the credit markets, yet the challenge will be to raise the quality of the instruments available to investment grade via credit quality enhancement, securitization and other methods. We examine the potential solutions that financial markets can offer, and highlight the enormous opportunity that this presents.

hsq32Jl1m4aIzicMqH8sBkPnbsqfnwy4Jgb1J2kI

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez