Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 2/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.

And yeah, it pisses me off like hell as a member of Gen-X -- we just don't have the numbers to turn the tide.  The best we can do is to try to hold the line in strategic spots so that when the reinforcements show up, they have some ground to fight from.  We're just fucking holding Bastogne right now....and honestly, I don't know if we'll ultimately succeed.  It may be that the Millennials have to start the whole fucking thing all over, and land at Normandy all over again, because we ultimately weren't able to hold a single fucking inch of ground for them.  Because the highlighted language above.

This is about the most apt use of a military metaphor I’ve seen in awhile.  It’s so deflating at times trying to beat back this hoard while we wait for the Millenials and Gen Z to mature into regular voters.

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

This is about the most apt use of a military metaphor I’ve seen in awhile.  It’s so deflating at times trying to beat back this hoard while we wait for the Millenials and Gen Z to mature into regular voters.

The larger issue is that an overwhelming majority is required to turn the tide. Technically the hoard is already outnumbered.  Millennials and Gen Z born in small red states have been busy moving to urban centers just like Gen X did. Unless they stay in Idaho and Arkansas to vote, they are just another undercounted resident of a city in an urban state.  Worse, they are also leaving Midwestern states in droves and handing them over to racist rural voters as well. The only positive they are generating is that Texas may flip in 20 years, but that gives Trump and Mitch plenty of time to put the Constitution through the paper shredder first. 

On 2/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Tom said:

What was the question and who was asking it?  Have you even watched the video you're criticizing her over?

It was a small gaffe because while, yes, what she said was wrong about something every American should know, it came off like somebody tripping and stumbling over their own words or having a brain fart.  Everyone has misspoken in their lives and said one thing while meaning something else.  You have, too, but unlike Cortez you probably don't have thousands of people hanging on your every public statement ready to pounce and criticize you for any mistake.  But just like I'm confident Barack Obama knew exactly how many states were in the U.S. when he said "57 states," I'm confident AOC also does actually know what the branches of government are.  

I'd bet the house that she knows more about basic government than you considering it's been a daily part of her life for a couple of years now.

Yea you would lose that bet....   Half of the surly pool is smarter then her and that’s a shallow pool.   But yes please keep trying to say she’s bright it makes you look So smart  lol.   

Edited by Hook1997

40 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

AOC is an idiot when it comes to economics. I'm not a fan.

But I believe we need lots of ideas in Congress. I do wish politicians would fucking stay off social media. I dont think anything good comes from it.

Political twitter is the worst.  We don't need anything that further reduces politicians into soundbite machines.

Or anything that makes the voting public more susceptible to soundbites.  That's the real problem.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

Just now, Drew said:

Agree with the last few responses.  We need people who have new ideas and want to challenge the status quo, but stop pretending you know what you're talking about and stay off social media.

Hell no, I want to know the stupidity that they think of. I want to know all their dumb political thoughts. 

yeah she clearly has no idea what she's talking about when it comes to economics, boston university just hands those degrees out like candy. 
1. Her degree is a BA in international relations and economics. So, it is possible that the economics piece isn't as rigorous in theory as it would have been if she had just done economics.
2. Her rhetoric tells me that her understanding of economics is very skewed, and quite frankly wrong.

• Like 2

1. Her degree is a BA in international relations and economics. So, it is possible that the economics piece isn't as rigorous in theory as it would have been if she had just done economics.
2. Her rhetoric tells me that her understanding of economics is very skewed, and quite frankly wrong.

Oh you done went and did it now!!

Come on, bro.  surlys are economics geniuses.  No schooling needed.
Lulz. I'm sure I've had as many courses in economics as AOC, considering that in addition to my undergrad coursework I also had significant advanced economics coursework under my belt that I took going after two masters degrees. But yeah, you are right. No schooling in economics.
  • Like 1

Which economic course did you take that says that says the grotesque inequality in this country is something that is sustainable? Also weren't you the poster who literally advocated against giving the homeless housing to try and solve the problem because everyone else took personal responsibility and worked hard for their livelihoods?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Which economic course did you take that says that says the grotesque inequality in this country is something that is sustainable? Also weren't you the poster who literally advocated against giving the homeless housing to try and solve the problem because everyone else took personal responsibility and worked hard for their livelihoods?

I'm sorry you live to bill gates, and much poorer.

37 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

This is my favorite American myth. I call it the Johnny Sack Myth of American Meritocracy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lulz. I'm sure I've had as many courses in economics as AOC, considering that in addition to my undergrad coursework I also had significant advanced economics coursework under my belt that I took going after two masters degrees. But yeah, you are right. No schooling in economics. emoji849.png

That may all be true, but you're still a shitty person for leaving Louis for Todd.

• Like 2

Have I ever said that that grotesque inequality is sustainable? You have me confused with someone else.

I did not advocate against giving the homeless housing. I've donated a lot of money to agencies and charities that fight poverty and homelessness. I do think that giving the homeless housing without understanding the underlying issues of their homelessness may result in them being back on the street, but that doesn't mean that I am against housing for the homeless.

And while I believe in equal opportunity, I absolutely do not believe in equal outcome.

• Like 2

It's just amazing that self-described moderates come in here and criticize her understanding of economics as if there aren't well respected economists who agree with AOC. This is while we race down a primary cycle where one man has spent over 300 million dollars and people seriously think this is good and that he should be the next president of the United States.

We're at a point where extreme measures are going to have to be taken, a bunch of little small steps because well off white people think we can't rock the boat too much is not going to fix our climate, our health care system, the massive inequality, the insane little that the federal minimum wage is set at, etc.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

yeah she clearly has no idea what she's talking about when it comes to economics, boston university just hands those degrees out like candy. 

Yeah another Hey I'm a college grad, and know more about the economy than you folks who are actually in it, and working it.  One of the reasons why masters degrees have become passe'. I know so much more about (fill in the blank ) field than you, who've worked in that field while I was in school, you loser......I've got a maaaasters.....

20 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah another Hey I'm a college grad, and know more about the economy than you folks who are actually in it, and working it.  One of the reasons why masters degrees have become passe'. I know so much more about (fill in the blank ) field than you, who've worked in that field while I was in school, you loser......I've got a maaaasters.....

You could do that with just about any subject, though, right? Climate science, foreign policy, Division I college quarterbacks...

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

You could do that with just about any subject, though, right? Climate science, foreign policy, Division I college quarterbacks...

Oh yeah, I'm not singling out AOC or an economics degree.  Just commenting on the whole I've got a degree so I know it all schtick, that just isn't so.

My boss came to me the first week of starting my new career as a jr. architect, and said you don't know jack. You've got a degree, but it could take you as many as 3 years for the profession to start clicking for you, and you "get it". Then as he's walking away he says, and by the way if it takes 3 years for that to happen you should find another profession.

And for the record I've dug her enthusiasm.  I just think she should speak a little less sometimes when she makes blanket statements that just aren't applicable across the board as she claims.

18 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah, I'm not singling out AOC or an economics degree.  Just commenting on the whole I've got a degree so I know it all schtick, that just isn't so.

My boss came to me the first week of starting my new career as a jr. architect, and said you don't know jack. You've got a degree, but it could take you as many as 3 years for the profession to start clicking for you, and you "get it". Then as he's walking away he says, and by the way if it takes 3 years for that to happen you should find another profession.

And for the record I've dug her enthusiasm.  I just think she should speak a little less sometimes when she makes blanket statements that just aren't applicable across the board as she claims.

It's double-edged, sometimes the older 'expert' has experience-hard won and useful- and sometimes the young pup has fresh eyes, is open to change, and has new info that is helpful. Finding the sweet spot among truly knowledgeable people old and young is tricky, but I think the best listeners in the room learn a lot more than the shouters.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

It's double-edged, sometimes the older 'expert' has experience-hard won and useful- and sometimes the young pup has fresh eyes, is open to change, and has new info that is helpful. Finding the sweet spot among truly knowledgeable people old and young is tricky, but I think the best listeners in the room learn a lot more than the shouters.

This is why compromise is so valuable to a functioning government.

We desperately need fresh ideas, even if they're kind of wrongheaded.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Lulz. I'm sure I've had as many courses in economics as AOC, considering that in addition to my undergrad coursework I also had significant advanced economics coursework under my belt that I took going after two masters degrees. But yeah, you are right. No schooling in economics. emoji849.png

I didn't exactly imply that nobody here had studied economics.  

I didn't exactly imply that nobody here had studied economics.  
No, but the implication made by others was that because she had an economics degree, expressing the opinion that her knowledge of economics and theory is woefully naive or incorrect was met with a lot of hostility.

She has her own cabal of Bernie Bros who believe that the sun shines out of her ass.

The very fact that leading economists often disagree would seem to cast a certain amount of shade on the opinions of any economist.  I mean, Eugene Fama and Robert Shiller both pretty much think the other is fundamentally wrong about market efficiencies, and they shared the Nobel Prize for Economics in 2013.  

I just think AOC's education at the very least puts her ahead of a good percentage of armchair economists who haven't gone beyond Freshman Macroeconomics 101.  It certainly doesn't mean her theories are sound, though.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:15 PM, Hook1997 said:

Is this serious?  People actually want someone who two years ago was a bartender and couldn’t name the branches of government after she was elected to run for president??!!?  Can neither side find a actual good candidate for fuck sake?  

The three branches?

Executive

Executive’s Snuff Boys

Executive’s Bitch

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

Frankly, the hate towards AOC is media driven as a bone thrown to Trump supporters. Establishment creatures loathe AOC because she threatens them and their practices. Trump supporters lap it up -- because America, god dammit. 

Why so many more homeless? The Great Recession wiped out so many with homes. That led to increased demand for rental units and a corresponding rise in rents as more crowded into that space. That in turn pushed the vulnerable out into the street. Simple market economics. 

What people see in the homeless is usually the effects of homelessness. Homelessness and poverty change humans physiologically and psychologically.

What causes people to descend into the horror of homelessness is simple - they cannot afford shelter. That is not difficult to fix - if we had the political will. We don't. We can certainly afford to fix it, but we won't. Out of sight, out of mind. Call the homeless drunks, druggies and insane. Those are effects, not causes, for most. 

The sun shines out of AOC's ass? Nope. But it is certainly interesting to see how many believe the sun shines out of Trump's ass. Or Bloomberg's ass.

It is called projection - whether it is aimed at those living in poverty or AOC  It helps calm the brain when cognitive dissonance becomes overwhelming and threatening. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 4

^

I think, without having met you in real life, that you know less about homelessness than I thought humanly possible.  You’re right about why AOC gets vilified.  Then you go off on arguably the most erroneous rant about homelessness I have read in a long while and I research it each week.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

I think, without having met you in real life, that you know less about homelessness than I thought humanly possible.  You’re right about why AOC gets vilified.  Then you go off on arguably the most erroneous rant about homelessness I have read in a long while and I research it each week.  

Please enlighten us. Thanks. 

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

She’s 30, she’ll learn to refine her message and smarten up some.

I agree. This is a whataboutism, but comparing her inexperience and youth to Matt Gaetz' involvement into the 'storm the inquiry" because we have no representation when we really have representation escapade I'd say she comes out looking a lot more sincere. He's about six years older than she is.....

Abby Finkenauer of Iowa (D) is the second youngest rep behind AOC. She is 31.

On 2/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

sheer assumption on your part. 

most people seem to take issue with her saying we're going to pay people whose jobs are displaced the same anyway.  which is the most economist answer i can think of (we can keep these people the same and everyone else better off by getting people out of the oil patch so we don't all die of carbon poisoning, well we're moving closer to the pareto frontier!), but that's also a practical policy approach - people aren't going to vote for something that's going to mean they can't put food on the table (witness the yellow vests). 

i think it's refreshing to have someone in the halls of government who has figured out we're no longer on a gold standard.

• Like 4

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez