Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

On 2/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, sheeeit said:

i do enjoy coming back to this thread occasionally.  She is not in my district and if her district likes her and wants to keep electing her then more power to them.  But this constant drum beat of her being smart is really amusing to me.  She constantly touts her econ degree and cum laude achievement.  But let me ask you guys a hypothetical:

Lets say you are interviewing candidates for an econ job and she comes in.  You chat a bit and she seems reasonably well spoken and eager.  In the course of the interview you ask her about the low unemployment rate we are seeing now and she responds with "well it is only low because people are working two jobs".  You look up from her resume a bit startled and ask her to elaborate and she says "and it is skewed because people are working 50-60 hour weeks".  Now both your eyebrows are arched and your head tilted a bit.  You say ok, how do you feel about the Amazon announcement for NYC and she says "i am so against it, why dont we use those billions for teacher pay and infrastructure instead"  At that point you would politely stand up and thank her for coming in.  Then after she left you would put her resume in the trash and probably vent to your colleagues on the quality of graduates today.

Now maybe if she was an art major or engineering major or english or something, those dumb comments above would be somewhat understandable.  But she touts herself as a cum laude econ major.  Just look up the classes required to to earn that degree.  It is impossible that she was not taught about unemployment rates and tax incentives for businesses.  Impossible. 

She is just not that smart.  Doesn't mean she cant be a successful politician as lots of them are not very smart.   

I would say that the interviewer is too stupid for his or her position.

On 2/28/2020 at 1:37 PM, TwiceHorn said:

The problem with your whole argument is that economics, even at a terminal degree level, rarely if ever supplies a "correct answer" to anything but theoretical problems.  All it does is create theories and arguments about real world policies and their effects.

There is no absolutely correct way to account for the employment rate, or whether the tax incentive package to Amazon was a good deal.  Her arguments in your little hypothetical are not objectively wrong, you just don't like them.

Arguments like washpark made.

No, the problem with his argument is he's dissing her over a scenario made up in his head.

Let's say you bring in Dotard for an interview.  Before you can even ask the first question he drops trou and shits all over the carpet.  It's impossible he was not taught to refrain from shitting on the carpet.  Impossible.

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I wouldn't call it racism but it's racism-adjacent. At this point you are no more likely to catch this bug at Jade Hunan Dragon Gardens as you are at Kathy's Kountry Kookin', so avoiding Chinese places is illogical. 

Bro-in-Law is a heath inspector. We basically all want to stop eating at all restaurants. This was true years before coronavirus.

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I wouldn't call it racism but it's racism-adjacent. At this point you are no more likely to catch this bug at Jade Hunan Dragon Gardens as you are at Kathy's Kountry Kookin', so avoiding Chinese places is illogical. 

They have been fed the "Brain Melt" for so long they cannot perform simple reasoning skills. They only emote hate now. 

The masks make them scared of their own shadows and they will grow more lonely and bitter - yelling at imaginary shadows they see in the night. 

Only they can pull themselves out of their despair and self-pity. Trump was just the latest charlatan who steered them the wrong way. 

I mean It's only natural that the first people that had the virus would scare people now.  It's not racist.

Just like it wasn't racist to have a little fear when you saw someone of Muslim faith on an airplane the first few weeks after 9/11.  It would be NOW, but not immediately following the attacks.

It's not right, don't mistake me for saying that, just understandable in a time where we have people "panic buying" fucking toilet people, that there would also be people who irrationally avoid Chinese restaurants.

IS there a race component.  The Asian kid I sat next to from Washington sure as hell thought there was.  Usually it's the folks being discriminated against that have the best perspective of what is happening.  I am going to specifically go to a new sushi place I really like just to help keep them afloat.  KNOWING that lots of folks don't understand that you have no idea if there is higher risk there or at the Deli.  Because we have no testing, it's simply a bias against Asians right now.  Because... well... panic and stupidity from the top.

I guess for a lot of people it allows people to hate Asians for more than their high SAT's and shitty driving... '-)

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

I mean It's only natural that the first people that had the virus would scare people now.  It's not racist.

Just like it wasn't racist to have a little fear when you saw someone of Muslim faith on an airplane the first few weeks after 9/11.  It would be NOW, but not immediately following the attacks.

It's not right, don't mistake me for saying that, just understandable in a time where we have people "panic buying" fucking toilet people, that there would also be people who irrationally avoid Chinese restaurants.

No that’s still racist. Why do some of y’all have so much trouble with this.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It's their privilege speaking. Most don't think of themselves as having racist tendencies. They virtue signal how they feel bad for those less privileged, but that is where they stop - feeling that is enough.

I applaud their baby steps at this point.  

21 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Because they have never considered that racism might live in other parts of the brain apart from where we make conscious decisions.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I mean it's confounding.  The example given is an easy case of racism.  What he's trying to defend is it's "understandable".  That's where so many lose their way as they rationalize their behavior.  Just like the lady (or man) who clutches their purse because a young black or hispanic man gets on their elevator.  "well, they commit more crimes, so.....".  SMH.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Is there any evidence  that Asian and Chinese restaurants are currently disproportionately losing business?

Probably not. And if there is, it’s more than likely anecdotal evidence from her district, a district that is minority dominated and historically liberal. Those two facts alone eliminate racism as a motive.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2020 at 2:07 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

She's absolutely right though...... MCC is full of shit and not a Democrat at all.  Wolf in sheep's clothing.

Yea, I don't see how that's negative if it's all true. It certainly doesn't look anything like the negative shit that's been thrown her way by the national hate engine. Too bad for the hate engine that they're overmatched. She fried the GOPs on twitter.

I like her. I wouldn't know much about her had she not been targeted by Trumpists and the hate engine.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez