Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

9 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Honest question, whats a more tactful weight description?  It obviously is subjective but I would find all these synonyms more objectionable (perhaps stocky is better).

In this page you can discover 12 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for heavyset, like: blocky, chunky, compact, dumpy, squat, stocky, stodgy, stubby, stumpy, thick and thickset.

All are tough.  You generally want to avoid negative descriptors and stick with neutral or positive descriptors.  You wouldn't say she was the ugly one or the one with all the acne.

If her twin is there and the only difference between them is that one is heavyset.  Stocky is better.  Maybe say a little bit bigger or slightly overweight.

Or just say she was dumpy and ugly as homemade sin.

36 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Honest question, whats a more tactful weight description?  It obviously is subjective but I would find all these synonyms more objectionable (perhaps stocky is better).

In this page you can discover 12 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for heavyset, like: blocky, chunky, compact, dumpy, squat, stocky, stodgy, stubby, stumpy, thick and thickset.

Thick, that way it is actually more of a compliment. But really I would avoid it all together. 

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Thick, that way it is actually more of a compliment. But really I would avoid it all together. 

I tried to.  For an extended conversation.  I honestly had internal dialogue during my efforts to describe the waitress that the situation was a put-on or some sort of gag.

Edited by Incredulity

Curvy would be the nicest way but could come of as sexualized.

Obviously in a restaurant setting the servers are usually wearing the same clothing but in pretty much every other situation describing a person’s clothing or something like their hairstyle would be just as effective.

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

This is an interesting point.

I guess I subconsciously(or I have been trained by society) to avoid race descriptions in situations where people are needing to be described.  I also wouldn’t refer to someone as fat if asked to describe them out of general manners.

A couple years ago I was at a restaurant outside Atlanta for a completely unremarkable evening.  At the end of the meal the waitress stopped showing up.  After 15 min of waiting I went to the hostess and asked to pay our bill.  I had picked up when we were seated that we were at table 15(or some such). So I explain to the hostess that we were wanting to leave and would like to pay our bill.  She asked for a description of our waitress.  She was a short, heavyset black lady. So I give her a description being as polite as I know how with description(hair color, general height, gender and the table we were at).  After a few back and forths and the hostess still unable to identify the waitress or produce a bill I said politely that she was heavyset and black.  The hostess recoiled as if I had used a slur to describe her.  I still don’t know if it was the weight description or race that caused the reaction.  Very bizarre situation overall.

i mean this kindly, so please do not take this the wrong way.

but this is a very, very small case of institutionalized, unintentional racism.

imagine this situation, but with a white waitress. how would you describe her? 

i'll answer for myself, which is similar to where you started. i would start with hair color and style, maybe height. i wouldn't say "white girl" because it just wouldn't occur to me. i would probably say "i dunno, about 5 foot 8, curly red hair that was cut pretty short." that would get the hostess started and it probably wouldn't take long to find her.

i think as white people, we see black people as black people sometimes. it's a time honored joke that "they all look the same." most of us that did not grow up around black people are not trained to distinguish unique black characteristics, and it's something i've been working on more recently, but have largely failed.

i guess in your case, i would work on something about her hair. black folks' hair is a thing and probably the best place to start. what was her hair like?

but honestly, it is a weird situation, because the hostess should have known from your table alone who was waiting on you. i mean, that's her fucking job, to seat tables to spread out the workload for waitstaff. so i wouldn't feel too badly, except for the heavyset descriptor. that's always going to backfire.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

but this is a very, very small case of institutionalized, unintentional racism.

Why is red, brown or blonde hair or height any different than white, black or brown skin? Seems to perpetuate racism to think that identifying somebody by their skin color is somehow racist by default.  There is an implicit judgement there, that the value of an individual is determined by the shade of their skin color baked into that position. It's the thing that cannot be mentioned, because the implicit judgement exists. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Why is red, brown or blonde hair or height any different than white, black or brown skin? Seems to perpetuate racism to think that identifying somebody by their skin color is somehow racist by default.  There is an implicit judgement there, that the value of an individual is determined by the shade of their skin color baked into that position. It's the thing that cannot be mentioned, because the implicit judgement exists. 

Would it be racist to say she was hispanic or Asian  ?  Why is calling her black racist ?  It may be racial which is not racist, but I really can't see why you'd say it was racist.  Is this like older folks whispering the names of deadly diseases people caught, "She got the (whispering) caaaaancer)"....

When I must - curvy, Rubenesque  or voluptuous. I steer clear whenever possible. A lot of pain inflicted by those who fat shame. Unnecessary and uncivilized, in my humble opinion. Reflective of someone who was bullied or hurt - and merely repeating the pattern. My momma taught me to always ask the wallflowers to dance. 

image.png.678ef199ca08c2fde94f491ddddcd6f0.png

0kie, on the other hand, is a whole 'nother ball of wax . . .  

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Should have went with "thicc".

Or if she had been white-- "PAWG"

On 7/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, Brisketexan said:

Twat is such a funny word.  I mean, funny, like I can't hear it without laughing.  And the fact that it's usually in a brit accent makes it even funnier.  It's right up there with "wanker."

When I was a teenager, I was in the back of a friend's car riding with his parents.  I called someone what I thought was "twit" pretty stridently.  Evidently, the word that came out of my mouth instead of twit was twat.  Everyone was staring at me.  I was like "wut?"  Lmao.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeremy Wallace put together an informative piece on how AOC’s experiences in Texas shaped her beliefs and outreach. Pretty informative, not an opinion piece, on the National Hispanic Institute. Can see how Julian Castro is aligning with her and the Progressive movement that is finding an expanding home with young Latinos in Texas. 

How Texas became ‘home away from home’ for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

https://www.expressnews.com/politics/texas/article/texas-home-for-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-aoc-tx-15485656.php#photo-19814507

Edited by StassneyHorn

• 5 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Now this, I can agree on. Need more like her on both sides. I disagree with her a great deal on policy but I can respect her efforts and dedication to the job.

She blunders on occasion, who doesn't.  But she is admirably clear in her writing and speech, and apparently thinking.  Even her soundbites are pretty pithy and accurate.

And yeah, you have to admire her enthusiasm and dedication to the actual job of being a legislator and not just getting re-elected to the job.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait...Republicans get to be hypocrites AND misgynist?  That's their favorite cocktail!  Wait, nevermind -- add a shot of flaming racism on top, and they'd down those back to back like dipshits from Shreveport at a French Quarter bachelor party.

See, everyone blunders.  At least brisket isn't a morphadite.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

So I guess you decided to move over to the right side of the West River. 

I had to explain this once before, but I chose the username because of the time I spent over there. It is a neighborhood I enjoy, but would not live in. I could spend a week in the Natural History Museum and not get bored.

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I had to explain this once before, but I chose the username because of the time I spent over there. It is a neighborhood I enjoy, but would not live in. I could spend a week in the Natural History Museum and not get bored.

Cool, AOC is my rep too.  I also couldn't live in Manhattan. Its too chaotic and also surprisingly inconvenient for daily errands compared to Brooklyn and Queens. It is painful to see Manhattan in its current state though.  Its a ghost town. I do think it has been a boon to Queens though.  My neighborhood's retail and restaurants seem to be booming because former commuters are staying local. 

Also, I like and voted for AOC in the primary but I would have voted for Badrun Khan if MCC hadn't been running.  We need people to come around to basic income, IMO.  Incidentally, MCC will be on the general election ballot again for one of the bullshit parties. 

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

they once let me pick a sabretooth's nose.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Unions have a bad rap thanks to unrelenting pressure but unions can do good work when work is not as valued as it should.

Unions have had their day. We now have so many gov't admins. that handle many of the jobs unions took care of. The UMW is one of the few I believe is still relevant because it's role is one of safety, and protection of miners. Teachers unions, gov't workers union are complete, and utter BS.

I'm sure someone can make an argument for other unions are things they do that help workers, but by and large they're outdated, and simply protectionist rackets.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Unions have had their day. We now have so many gov't admins. that handle many of the jobs unions took care of. The UMW is one of the few I believe is still relevant because it's role is one of safety, and protection of miners. Teachers unions, gov't workers union are complete, and utter BS.

I'm sure someone can make an argument for other unions are things they do that help workers, but by and large they're outdated, and simply protectionist rackets.

Now tell us how you feel about Police Unions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez