Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

lulz

I tell people I'm a Texan, but I was born in Austin so I guess I'm an American. This is obviously more complicated than that as she's referencing PR as an ethnicity, but it's always funny to see another person who doesn't realize Puerto Ricans are American.

Edited by Huckleberry

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Pig asked the right question.  I'm awaiting your response.

PR is a US territory.  Not a state, can’t vote in our Fed elections.  Kind of in no man’s land with some US benefits but lacking others.  

She states she is PR.   But she’s born in NYC.  So.....that makes her an American.   

Where am I wrong?

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The more confusing part to me is why people are defaulting to race and not gender. The guy says "Woman or whatever you are", so wouldn't the natural assumption and faux political outrage be "ASSUMING GENDER! Implying sh'es a woman or dismissively a TRANSPERSON!". He didn't say "PRican or Mexican or whatever you are".

Nobody is defaulting to race you idiot, the target of the comment responded that she's a Puerto Rican woman for a cynical attempt at scoring political points out of the other guy's stupid comment. Like I told you earlier, every time you click on Submit Reply you just show everyone how ignorant you are.

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Corollary question: are you aware some people identify with specific cultures/ethnic identities based on their families and not just the physical location of their birth?

Yes. I realize that.  What of it?

Just now, deadshank said:

How am I wrong?

Because you believe that being born in NYC makes her an American instead of a Puerto Rican.

Meanwhile, reality says that being born in Puerto Rico would also make her an American. You weren't "wrong" in the sense that she's not American, you were wrong in the sense that you believed being Puerto Rican was a different option.

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Yes. I realize that.  What of it?

You clearly don’t or you wouldn’t have made the post about where she was born.

Separately, I don’t know why she’s a lightning rod for media attention, but mentioning her name seems to enrage a lot of people/trolls

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

You clearly don’t or you wouldn’t have made the post about where she was born.

Separately, I don’t know why she’s a lightning rod for media attention, but mentioning her name seems to enrage a lot of people/trolls

Young

Female

Latina

Everything the GOP hates right now because it's the opposite of old, male and white.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Because you believe that being born in NYC makes her an American instead of a Puerto Rican.

Meanwhile, reality says that being born in Puerto Rico would also make her an American. You weren't "wrong" in the sense that she's not American, you were wrong in the sense that you believed being Puerto Rican was a different option.

Being born in the USA does make you an American.  Being born in PR makes you Prican and a US citizen. 

6 minutes ago, deadshank said:

PR is a US territory.  Not a state, can’t vote in our Fed elections.  Kind of in no man’s land with some US benefits but lacking others.  

She states she is PR.   But she’s born in NYC.  So.....that makes her an American.   

Where am I wrong?

I somewhat agree with you.  If someone's parents were born in Guam while they were born in Texas, would they identify as Guamese or Texan? 

However, people from every other Latino country/territory/place uses their ancestral country/territory name as a pseudo-ethnic identifier, so I don't see why its bad for Puerto Ricans to do so too.  Plenty of Texans who have been in Texas for generations and speak no Spanish identify as Mexican as well.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Young

Female

Latina

Everything the GOP hates right now because it's the opposite of old, male and white.

Nope.  She’s fine by me.  Glad she is participating.  Not scared of her in the least.   Just questioning her claim to be PRican when she is clearly an American born in NYC.  In her tweet it seems she values her “PR” status more than being an American.   

What are you talking about. AOC defaulted to race in her tweet. Are we on the same planet right now?
Rep DeSantis, it seems you‘re confused as to “whatever I am.”

I am a Puerto Rican woman. It‘s strange you don’t know what that is, given that ~75,000 Puerto Ricans have relocated to Florida in the 10 mos since María.

But I’m sure these new FL voters appreciate your comments!
You asked why people were defaulting. People weren't. AOC responded by saying she's a Puerto Rican woman. You'll note, assuming you're capable, that this includes the word woman in order to address DeSantis's idiotic comment. She also prefaced it with Puerto Rican in order to proceed to tie it in to DeSantis's upcoming election.

Now that I've explained it to you go be a moron somewhere else.

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Nobody is defaulting to race you idiot, the target of the comment responded that she's a Puerto Rican woman for a cynical attempt at scoring political points out of the other guy's stupid comment. Like I told you earlier, every time you click on Submit Reply you just show everyone how ignorant you are.

Puerto Rican isn't a race anyway.  Puerto Ricans come in all races.  

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I somewhat agree with you.  If someone's parents were born in Guam while they were born in Texas, would they identify as Guamese or Texan? 

However, people from every other Latino country/territory/place uses their ancestral country/territory name as a pseudo-ethnic identifier, so I don't see why its bad for Puerto Ricans to do so too.  Plenty of Texans who have been in Texas for generations and speak no Spanish identify as Mexican as well.

My point.  I have no problem with her showing pride in her PR roots.   In my opinion she should think of herself as American first. 

You boys need to settle down. 

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Nope.  She’s fine by me.  Glad she is participating.  Not scared of her in the least.   Just questioning her claim to be PRican when she is clearly an American born in NYC.  In her tweet it seems she values her “PR” status more than being an American.   

It seems you value being stupid more than sounding racist.

• Like 1

Being born in the USA does make you an American.  Being born in PR makes you Prican and a US citizen. 
That's a nice trick you've set up for yourself there where being American and being a US citizen are different.

Seems like you're claiming that Puerto Ricans aren't American. Is that your claim?

4 minutes ago, deadshank said:

My point.  I have no problem with her showing pride in her PR roots.   In my opinion she should think of herself as American first. 

You boys need to settle down. 

I'm sure you have the same reservations for the large segment of our great State's population who are more proud to be Texans than Americans. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

That's a nice trick you've set up for yourself there where being American and being a US citizen are different.

Seems like you're claiming that Puerto Ricans aren't American. Is that your claim?

That depends on the Puerto Rican’s you ask. Some probably identify as American and some don’t.   

Just now, Lagunamadre said:

I'm sure you have the same reservations for the large segment of our great State's population who are more proud to be Texans than Americans. 

Meh.  The whole “Texan by the grace of God” is pretty lame.   

1 minute ago, Lagunamadre said:

I’m sure he also has the same reservations for all of the white southerners who wave confederate flags.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

I’m sure he also has the same reservations for all of the white southerners who wave confederate flags.

Nope.  Rebel battle flags are all sorts of retarded.   The north was right.  Sorry to burst your bubble. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What's her policy proposal based on this observation? Assuming of course that that statistic is actually correct.

Homelessness is high. But apartment vacancies are historically low. Shelters do have empty beds though, but they have curfew and substance use policies. Nobody has to be homeless in nyc.  The city is legally required to house them. 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Dem Strategy is So Powerful

No one cares, DNC. Why do you focus on shit no one cares about?

Because they're by nature timid and never leave their shared room to notice the world has changed. Trump's hypocrisy on Made in America is among the least of the nation's  worries about our leader.

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

She's not a danger to the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party needs more candidates like her.

If I could get your real personal information I would nominate you for the post of chairman of the Democratic National Committee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Where am I wrong?

Weaponized autism. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

Or, hear me out here, we penalize healthy people who choose not to buy insurance as an incentive to keep them in the pool. 

Also, going back to pre-ACA and denying people with pre-existing conditions coverage doesn't magically solve the problem, those sick people who will no longer have coverage are still going to go to the emergency room and get treated, they will just be stuck with the 6 figure bill that they will not be able to pay. Who do you think eats those costs when that happens? Why do you think hospitals charge $10 for a cough drop? The larger question is, should insurance companies bear those costs or the consumers?  

1 hour ago, Lagunamadre said:

Or, hear me out here, we penalize healthy people who choose not to buy insurance as an incentive to keep them in the pool. 

Also, going back to pre-ACA and denying people with pre-existing conditions coverage doesn't magically solve the problem, those sick people who will no longer have coverage are still going to go to the emergency room and get treated, they will just be stuck with the 6 figure bill that they will not be able to pay. Who do you think eats those costs when that happens? Why do you think hospitals charge $10 for a cough drop? The larger question is, should insurance companies bear those costs or the consumers?  

Doesn't the IRS penalize you if you don't buy insurance right now?  Why is the ER so expensive in the first place?  It's a systemic issue that I highlighted already (overcharging, ineffecient bureaucratic issues...etc.) 

One of the most underrated aspects of neoliberalism is how it (besides the creation of massive inequality) stymies intergenerational mobility.  

Absolute upward IGM is likely to be high in a society in which rising prosperity is broadly shared and sustained. Growth in average incomes, which increases the size of the economic pie, is necessary but not sufficient for a high rate of absolute mobility, which also requires a more equitable distribution of the benefits of growth. For example, the sharp decline in absolute mobility in the United States between individuals born in the 1940s and those born in the 1980s was driven more by the unequal distribution of economic growth than the slowdown in aggregate growth since the 1940s.

In a large majority of economies across the world, one’s chances of reaching the top quarter of the ladder of educational attainment depend largely on where one’s parents stood on that ladder (figure O.6). This share would be 0.25 if one’s ability to obtain an education did not depend on how well educated one’s parents are. However, there are very few economies in which the share exceeds 0.20. Among the bottom 50 economies by this share among the 1980s generation, 46 are developing, whereas only 4 are high income, including the United States. 

https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/28428

Such a worthless, dogshit ideology.  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez