Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

8 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

@Homesickhorn, for crying out loud, if the lesson you learned is that you shouldn't post in the CR, then you really are thick. You called AOC a dizzy cunt, then when called out, just said it was a funny joke. Most people don't consider that a funny joke. You didn't seem to find anything wrong with it and argued that it was in good taste. That's a dumb opinion. But shit, dumb opinions in CR are just as common as dumb opinions in Recruiting, Basketball, or Football. Ok, that last part is a lie, nothing has as many dumb opinions as Football.

That being said, anyone who said you were a piece of trash also had a dumb opinion. Again, that happens. You got what, 2 or so negs? Maybe 3-4? If that really does scare you away then yes, please don't post here. The post I am quoting, saying it was dumb to post it? Good post, just don't take the wrong lesson from it.

And @SydneyCarton, if @Homesickhorn had made this post first instead of several posts defending it, nothing would have happened. I very sincerely say this when I say I am sure that he really is a good dude. Most people are. But most of us don't know him. If his post here is dumb, it should get called out. And the great news is it works both ways - his real life isn't affected (or shouldn't be!) by negs or posts calling him out. There was no "echo chamber going batshit". Perhaps both of you should thicken the skin just a tad.

Hey, fuckhead, thanks for literally spelling out my post that you quoted. What the fuck did you think I meant by “Homesick is a big boy.” Also, no shit no one knows him in real life. What do you think the purpose of my post was? Because I DO know him. 

if you want to get into the echo chamber and the nature of dog likes, go right ahead. My skin is plenty thick. I’ve been around these parts for a long time. By all means, sir, feel free to attack me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Man did I pick the wrong time to drop that word. Hearing her today was pretty damn moving. I’ll keep my doubts to myself from here on out. If it’s any consolation, I apologize for using that term, and I will own and wear it.
That probably won’t do anything to those that called me a piece of trash, and a misogynist, but I do apologize.
Lesson learned; Don’t comment in the politics thread.

6 hours ago, MrBig said:

This woman—who many people ridicule because she was a bartender—has never been called a fucking bitch before until she became a member of Congress and came to work. 

When it occured at the bar care to venture a guess as to what happened next?

Do I need to point out that we ought to hold our representatives to a higher standard than a drunken frat boy in a bar?

Oh wait,  Kavanagh. Right. That's your level of respectability. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:
5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
Not a consultant, also do not work on Wall Street, unless you consider oil trading Wall Street.  Also, I busted my ass to get where I am and dealt with the old boys club that is oil and gas.  I have repeatedly been underestimated, but I push through.  
My distaste for AOC is not out of line with my distaste for most MOCs.  I wish we could send the lot of them home and start over.

The last part is why I'm a big proponent of expanding the house. One of them anyway. Many incumbents are simply entrenched. There's a reason AOC was national news overnight, people like her don't win. And by people like her I mean, essentially, regular people.

I would agree with that. The house was not designed so that a rep represented (on average) 750k-800k constituents.  

I would like to see each rep at max representing 100k people.  Also, I would like congressional districts to make fucking sense.  i.e. not the gerrymandered bullshit we see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Fighting to eliminate the old boy's club and systemic barriers that women and minorities (and especially minority women) face in the economy does not devalue your career struggles and achievements, or make them any less admirable. 

Apologies if that's not what you were implying emotionally there, but that's the vibe I got. 

The number of times I've had a male resident ignore my assessment or roll his eyes at my suggestions for improving my patients' plans of care...couldn't begin to account for them. And attendings! Never an issue with non-male docs. Weird how that works. 

No.  Not what I was implying.  Merely just saying I have some similar experiences to her, I did not grow up with a silver spoon (though I did grow up with parents who believe education was important and instilled in me a good work ethic and the belief that I could do anything I wanted if I put my mind to it, which is probably more valuable than if I had grown up incredibly wealthy), but her political views, especially her views on economics and the place of the government, are not aligned with me.  And my disagreement with her has nothing to do with her being a woman, but rather based on the data and information.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I understand the your sentiment, but AOC literally represents "send them home and starting over" She unseated a 20 year incumbent for her seat and is a young, minority woman doing a job that has traditionally been non of those things. 

Oh, I understand that.  She also did that with primary turnout of less than 15%.  Actually, New York is a fucking joke when it comes to primary turnout.  It is sad. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh, I understand that.  She also did that with primary turnout of less than 15%.  Actually, New York is a fucking joke when it comes to primary turnout.  It is sad. 

Having federal and state/local primaries on different ballots on different days is bullshit. She played the game exactly as she needed to play it to win.  Crowley Hillary'd it and barely campaigned. That cost him.

She did follow that up by smoking Caruso Cabrera in this year's primary which had higher turnout. But then Caruso Cabrera is actually a Republican, and that fact was hardly hidden. Everyone would have been better off had they let Badrun Khan challenge AOC.  She has better liberal ideals.  Then Caruso Cabrera could have run and lost as the Republican she is.

But you're a Republican.  Your party is in shambles.  Take your party back.  The Dem party isn't big enough for, nor should it take in, fiscally conservative refugees long term.  It isn't Dems fault that Republicans have become unelectable in NYC.  Republican candidates have become ghastly.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You guys need pull back your own dog whistles on this shit. Not that I expect you to, this post will probably be negged to hell. That’s the CR, I guess. 

He and I messaged and both of us apologized for our respective shittiness.  So no, it's not a forgone conclusion that the left wing echo chamber will continue to pillory anyone who doesn't toe the line for an instant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Having federal and state/local primaries on different ballots on different days is bullshit. She played the game exactly as she needed to play it to win.  Crowley Hillary'd it and barely campaigned. That cost him.

She did follow that up by smoking Caruso Cabrera in this year's primary which had higher turnout. But then Caruso Cabrera is actually a Republican, and that fact was hardly hidden. Everyone would have been better off had they let Badrun Khan challenge AOC.  She has better liberal ideals.  Then Caruso Cabrera could have run and lost as the Republican she is.

But you're a Republican.  Your party is in shambles.  Take your party back.  The Dem party isn't big enough for, nor should it take in, fiscally conservative refugees long term.  It isn't Dems fault that Republicans have become unelectable in NYC.  Republican candidates have become ghastly.

Yeah, not a Republican.  I am a moderate Independent who voted in the Democratic primaries in New York.   

• Like 1

She is fucking awesome. Her passion and desire to better herself for the benefit of the people she represents is truly moving. She has undeniably grown since her sudden rise to power. How anyone could see her as anything less than a dedicated and extremely intelligent woman is beyond me. She is what leaders are supposed to be. For too long we've allowed filthy creatures to nest in the halls of power (yes, in both parties). The world will be an infinitely better place when we replace them all with caring, morally strong people like AOC. I hope her eventual rise to President cements that change. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would like to see each rep at max representing 100k people.  

LOL . . . wut?  They'd have to meet in a basketball arena.  That's 3,300 politicians, minimum.

I'd rather see representatives get 4-year terms so they aren't campaigning on Day 1, and I'd like to see the # of reps grow to correct the last 100 years of stasis in the House.  I'm on the fence regarding term limits.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Man did I pick the wrong time to drop that word. Hearing her today was pretty damn moving. I’ll keep my doubts to myself from here on out. If it’s any consolation, I apologize for using that term, and I will own and wear it.

There is NEVER a right time to call her or any woman what you did. At least you owned making a dumb ass and classless remark and apologized. That’s probably enough for most of us to turn the other cheek and let it go. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOL . . . wut?  They'd have to meet in a basketball arena.  That's 3,300 politicians, minimum.

I'd rather see representatives get 4-year terms so they aren't campaigning on Day 1, and I'd like to see the # of reps grow to correct the last 100 years of stasis in the House.  I'm on the fence regarding term limits.

Why do they have to meet in person? I think 100K is a good goal, but I'm the crazy one that wants to go back to 30K.

• Like 2

I disagree with her on just about everything politically, but she has proven that she absolutely should be in the HOR.  She advocates her philosophy well, holds her own, and totally fucking owns the (unfortunate imo) primary medium for political discourse in this country atm. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, not a Republican.  I am a moderate Independent who voted in the Democratic primaries in New York.   

I get that you aren't a current Republican.  No sane person would be.   But your economic ideals are what used to be Republican.  A functional country can't expect all governance across the entire political and economic spectrum to be in the Democratic Party while the Republican Party is left to just nazis with dementia who get votes by claiming to be anti-abortion. 

Before DeBlasio, NYC elected both a Republican and a Republican pretending to be independent as mayor.  Now that fake independent has moved to the Democratic Party as well.  Since then, DeBlasio, while largely unpopular, won 73% and 67% of the vote in the general election.  Instead of Manhattan fiscal conservatives jumping into the Dem party, getting rocked, and complaining about it, they should take the Republican Party back from Staten Island.  The GOP ran an anti-immigrant, anti-gay candidate against DeBlasio for mayor in NYC in 2017, and she was the only close to sane GOP candidate that even launched a campaign. 

DeBlasio could certainly use more oversight from a sane GOP city councilperson or two.  Instead, there are just 2 Staten Island dumbasses, one of whom's entire Public Advocate campaign was "Stop the DeBlasio Agenda!"  

Edited by FondrenRoad

[mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention], for crying out loud, if the lesson you learned is that you shouldn't post in the CR, then you really are thick. You called AOC a dizzy cunt, then when called out, just said it was a funny joke. Most people don't consider that a funny joke. You didn't seem to find anything wrong with it and argued that it was in good taste. That's a dumb opinion. But shit, dumb opinions in CR are just as common as dumb opinions in Recruiting, Basketball, or Football. Ok, that last part is a lie, nothing has as many dumb opinions as Football.

That being said, anyone who said you were a piece of trash also had a dumb opinion. Again, that happens. You got what, 2 or so negs? Maybe 3-4? If that really does scare you away then yes, please don't post here. The post I am quoting, saying it was dumb to post it? Good post, just don't take the wrong lesson from it.

And [mention=192]SydneyCarton[/mention], if [mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention] had made this post first instead of several posts defending it, nothing would have happened. I very sincerely say this when I say I am sure that he really is a good dude. Most people are. But most of us don't know him. If his post here is dumb, it should get called out. And the great news is it works both ways - his real life isn't affected (or shouldn't be!) by negs or posts calling him out. There was no "echo chamber going batshit". Perhaps both of you should thicken the skin just a tad.

I never said it was a funny joke. I said that I was joking, and rightfully owned my misuse of the word ‘cunt’, my misinterpretation of the word & definition of ‘dizzy’, and my obvious misunderstanding of ‘your’ and ‘you’re’.

My skin is thick, and I actually was joking around when I said my initial post.

If you think I care about being negged out of something, then you’d be wrong. I like the fact that I can’t see any rep, which is why I post from my phone 90% of the time.

I’ll say it once more, I apologize for using the term cunt. I guess when I was overseas, it was considered a term of endearment as well as an insult. But still that’s absolutely no excuse.

Please fucking drop it. I’ll agree to to disagree with you in silence. But please don’t call me thin skinned again. That’s not a question I’m asking in order to bow out, but one I’m asking because I’m not sure what else I can do at this point.

I never said it was a funny joke. I said that I was joking, and rightfully owned my misuse of the word ‘cunt’, my misinterpretation of the word & definition of ‘dizzy’, and my obvious misunderstanding of ‘your’ and ‘you’re’.
My skin is thick, and I actually was joking around when I said my initial post.
If you think I care about being negged out of something, then you’d be wrong. I like the fact that I can’t see any rep, which is why I post from my phone 90% of the time.
I’ll say it once more, I apologize for using the term cunt. I guess when I was overseas, it was considered a term of endearment as well as an insult. But still that’s absolutely no excuse.
Please fucking drop it. I’ll agree to to disagree with you in silence. But please don’t call me thin skinned again. That’s not a question I’m asking in order to bow out, but one I’m asking because I’m not sure what else I can do at this point.

It’s all good.

I think with the asshole representative calling her disgusting and a fucking bitch had my back up (can’t speak for the others) and your post got me riled up when I was already angry about the way AOC and other women politicians get treated.

I believe you’ve owned it and made a sincere apology.

And I bet you’ll be more thoughtful moving forward about how those kinds of insults :).
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I called him out but I didn’t call him any names.

Blowing in this thread and calling her a “dizzy cunt” is bad form. That should rightfully be slapped down as misogynistic and sexist.

I also told him using the “WHY SO SERIOUS? IT WAS JUST JOKES!” makes him look defensive and makes his original comment appear intentional, not jokey. And I told him to apologize and own it.

Which he did.

Attributing the rightful backlash he received to an “echo chamber” is just another knee jerk defense.

This board has been littered with sexist crap about Warren and Harris and OMG Hilary for years. I call them out when I see it - and lots of times those remarks are made by posters who are very liberal/progressive/whatever label you want.

And it ain’t just men that do it.

It’s very telling that being told a comment is sexist or misogynistic is taken as a personal jab. I never said HomeSick was a misogynist - I called out his statement as such.

I’ve also called out the over use of gender based slurs used as shorthand to insult men. Using exclusively female terminology to imply a man as weak is just another facet of the misogyny that is ingrained in our discourse.

But when I do that I get labeled as “shrill” and “feminazi” and “triggered”.

It’s very disheartening to see allies use those hurtful insults.

this is a great post. Especially that last statement. I think it underscores a huge problem in our society - male insecurity. Women deal with it too, but it seems to be more internalized. With men, it breeds contempt and violence. We, as a society, need to address the anger in our male population. Men have not been given proper outlets (and that's not an excuse). If takes a few generations of women running things to get us to a more just society, I'm totally OK with that (and in perpetuity)

• Like 2

It’s all good.

I think with the asshole representative calling her disgusting and a fucking bitch had my back up (can’t speak for the others) and your post got me riled up when I was already angry about the way AOC and other women politicians get treated.

I believe you’ve owned it and made a sincere apology.

And I bet you’ll be more thoughtful moving forward about how those kinds of insults smile.png.

“And I bet you’ll be more thoughtful moving forward about how those kinds of insults”

What odds are you gonna give me?

Please know that I was kidding that time.

I get that you aren't a current Republican.  No sane person would be.   But your economic ideals are what used to be Republican.  A functional country can't expect all governance across the entire political and economic spectrum to be in the Democratic Party while the Republican Party is left to just nazis with dementia who get votes by claiming to be anti-abortion.  Before DeBlasio, NYC elected both a Republican and a Republican pretending to be independent as mayor.  Now that fake independent has moved to the Democratic Party as well.  Since then, DeBlasio, while largely unpopular, won 73% and 67% of the vote in the general election.  Instead of Manhattan fiscal conservatives jumping into the Dem party, getting rocked, and complaining about it, they should take the Republican Party back from Staten Island.  The GOP ran an anti-immigrant, anti-gay candidate against DeBlasio for mayor in NYC in 2017, and she was the only close to sane GOP candidate that even launched a campaign. 

DeBlasio could certainly use more oversight from a sane GOP city councilperson or two.  Instead, there are just 2 Staten Island dumbasses, one of whom's entire Public Advocate campaign was "Stop the DeBlasio Agenda!"  

Actually, my economic ideals are much more Libertarian than Republican as I am not really a Supply Sider. 

Yeah, deBlasio is awful. Of course, turnout for the mayoral and city elections is fucking shit (18% for his reelection in 2017).

The drastic increase in crime over the last few months might be a bit of a turning point on that front as well.

7 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I called him out but I didn’t call him any names.

Blowing in this thread and calling her a “dizzy cunt” is bad form. That should rightfully be slapped down as misogynistic and sexist.

I also told him using the “WHY SO SERIOUS? IT WAS JUST JOKES!” makes him look defensive and makes his original comment appear intentional, not jokey. And I told him to apologize and own it.

Which he did.

Attributing the rightful backlash he received to an “echo chamber” is just another knee jerk defense.

This board has been littered with sexist crap about Warren and Harris and OMG Hilary for years. I call them out when I see it - and lots of times those remarks are made by posters who are very liberal/progressive/whatever label you want.

And it ain’t just men that do it.

It’s very telling that being told a comment is sexist or misogynistic is taken as a personal jab. I never said HomeSick was a misogynist - I called out his statement as such.

I’ve also called out the over use of gender based slurs used as shorthand to insult men. Using exclusively female terminology to imply a man as weak is just another facet of the misogyny that is ingrained in our discourse.

But when I do that I get labeled as “shrill” and “feminazi” and “triggered”.

It’s very disheartening to see allies use those hurtful insults.

First, I wasn’t responding to you. You weren’t the person quoted in that post of mine you have cited. So don’t quote me and act like you’re doing anything else other than inserting yourself into MY discourse. 

Second, you didn’t see me defend him or stick up for him in a fight, because he is an adult and doesnt need a white knight. What you did quote, and did see, is me tell people to shut the fuck up and quit the pile on after he showed up, ate crow, and showed more integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed about something than currently 99.9% of American society does these days. And yet the pile on continued. That’s the echo chamber Bullshit Echo Chamber to which I’m referring and no it’s not a lazy fucking defense, it’s played out right here. And it’s part of what’s wrong with American society in general. People are punished for doing the right thing and incentivized to shut up, not learn, and not grow. Now, do you people want to spend another 4 pages beating the guy with reeds after he’s mea culpa’d or do you want to actually talk about AOC?

And by the way, Homesick showing up and being accountable for his words on this matter is more than you ever did regarding behavior when you called the moderators and owners of this site amoral pieces of shit and then slunk back here with nary a peep or response when I called you on it then, despite your later claims of being grateful to call this place home and being treated well as a guest. Hey guess what, the owners are my friends too. An anonymous message board is a fun place but sometimes real world relationships are important too, and maybe people should behave online like they would consider in person. I’m as guilty of that as anyone here. Then again, I also would say most of the shit I type here to pretty much anyone’s face. So if anyone here knows how to get in touch with Blake Brockermeyer let me know. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Actually, my economic ideals are much more Libertarian than Republican as I am not really a Supply Sider. 

Yeah, deBlasio is awful. Of course, turnout for the mayoral and city elections is fucking shit (18% for his reelection in 2017).

The drastic increase in crime over the last few months might be a bit of a turning point on that front as well.

The increase in crime is due to high unemployment and high anxiety during covid.  It would be infinitely worse right now with a crackdown mayor.  People can't pay rent and they can't get enough to eat.  

Also, in spite of the rhetoric, DeBlasio expanded the NYPD so far during his term.  He never contracted it.  The necessary loss of a new class is also coming due to covid really more than the fake defunding plan he suggested.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

First, I wasn’t responding to you. You weren’t the person quoted in that post of mine you have cited. So don’t quote me and act like you’re doing anything else other than inserting yourself into MY discourse. 

Second, you didn’t see me defend him or stick up for him in a fight, because he is an adult and doesnt need a white knight. What you did quote, and did see, is me tell people to shut the fuck up and quit the pile on after he showed up, ate crow, and showed more integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed about something than currently 99.9% of American society does these days. And yet the pile on continued. That’s the echo chamber Bullshit Echo Chamber to which I’m referring and no it’s not a lazy fucking defense, it’s played out right here. And it’s part of what’s wrong with American society in general. People are punished for doing the right thing and incentivized to shut up, not learn, and not grow. Now, do you people want to spend another 4 pages beating the guy with reeds after he’s mea culpa’d or do you want to actually talk about AOC?

@SydneyCarton You continue to be full of shit. Please, show me the post that where he "showed up, ate crow, and showed more integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed about something than currently 99.9% of American society does these days". The closest one I can find is "I’ll wear the sexist portion of it because this is Surly and I was kidding. And if it offended anyone, I’ll be in my bunk" That's a good post, which was included in a reply to another poster and may not have been seen. I suspect if @Homesickhorn had made his last post after the initial call-outs, there would have been very little back and forth. But between the defensiveness in that post and others, there was not a lot of "integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed" until his last post, and the criticism ("pile-on") stopped.

Your over-the-top language is silly and makes you look like a clown. Hell, even @Homesickhorn gave the most sincere, abject apology the world has ever seen, people can still respond. If you say something stupid, then apologize, other people are not obligated to stop being pissy with you. He was not "punished for doing the right thing". Seriously, what was the right thing, and what was the punishment? How much of a pile-on was there, after his post where he acknowledged a dumb post with sincerity?

The CR has a lot of stupid bullshit in it, and the only reason I made my first post was because I would really like it if posters like @Homesickhorn really did post in here. Hence pointing out that the right lesson is not "don't post in CR", it's "don't call women cunts, and if it is just a joke that landed badly, being used in an ironic sense, try to clarify".

Finally, @Homesickhorn I hope you understand that I'm not trying to continually call you out here. I am tagging you a lot because obviously your posts are part of the conversation with Syndey, but very much acknowledge that you owned the post, I would drop it if it weren't Syndey being such a hyperbolic character.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

[mention=192]SydneyCarton[/mention] You continue to be full of shit. Please, show me the post that where he "showed up, ate crow, and showed more integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed about something than currently 99.9% of American society does these days". The closest one I can find is "I’ll wear the sexist portion of it because this is Surly and I was kidding. And if it offended anyone, I’ll be in my bunk" That's a good post, which was included in a reply to another poster and may not have been seen. I suspect if [mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention] had made his last post after the initial call-outs, there would have been very little back and forth. But between the defensiveness in that post and others, there was not a lot of "integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed" until his last post, and the criticism ("pile-on") stopped.
Your over-the-top language is silly and makes you look like a clown. Hell, even [mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention] gave the most sincere, abject apology the world has ever seen, people can still respond. If you say something stupid, then apologize, other people are not obligated to stop being pissy with you. He was not "punished for doing the right thing". Seriously, what was the right thing, and what was the punishment? How much of a pile-on was there, after his post where he acknowledged a dumb post with sincerity?
The CR has a lot of stupid bullshit in it, and the only reason I made my first post was because I would really like it if posters like [mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention] really did post in here. Hence pointing out that the right lesson is not "don't post in CR", it's "don't call women cunts, and if it is just a joke that landed badly, being used in an ironic sense, try to clarify".
Finally, [mention=1412]Homesickhorn[/mention] I hope you understand that I'm not trying to continually call you out here. I am tagging you a lot because obviously your posts are part of the conversation with Syndey, but very much acknowledge that you owned the post, I would drop it if it weren't Syndey being such a hyperbolic character.

You should tag him a couple more times to be sure.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The increase in crime is due to high unemployment and high anxiety during covid.  It would be infinitely worse right now with a crackdown mayor.  People can't pay rent and they can't get enough to eat.  

Also, in spite of the rhetoric, DeBlasio expanded the NYPD so far during his term.  He never contracted it.  The necessary loss of a new class is also coming due to covid really more than the fake defunding plan he suggested.

I would agree with you if we were just talking about B&E and Theft.  But we are talking about people shooting other people for asking them not to shoot off fireworks and shit like that.  Gun violence is up magnitudes over the prior year, and assaults are way up  So, no it isn't just anxiety and unemployment, there is a definite pullback of the NYPD in Manhattan.  But also, fuck excusing people shooting randoms or assaulting someone because they are anxious due to COVID.  

It also does not help that our buddy deBlasio has aggregated the homeless in hotels.  There is a lot of crazy shit going on near where those folks are housed.  And as someone that lives relatively close to one of those hotels, it has made it not safe to be out at night.

18 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

@SydneyCarton You continue to be full of shit. Please, show me the post that where he "showed up, ate crow, and showed more integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed about something than currently 99.9% of American society does these days". The closest one I can find is "I’ll wear the sexist portion of it because this is Surly and I was kidding. And if it offended anyone, I’ll be in my bunk" That's a good post, which was included in a reply to another poster and may not have been seen. I suspect if @Homesickhorn had made his last post after the initial call-outs, there would have been very little back and forth. But between the defensiveness in that post and others, there was not a lot of "integrity and humility about being wrong or uninformed" until his last post, and the criticism ("pile-on") stopped.

Your over-the-top language is silly and makes you look like a clown. Hell, even @Homesickhorn gave the most sincere, abject apology the world has ever seen, people can still respond. If you say something stupid, then apologize, other people are not obligated to stop being pissy with you. He was not "punished for doing the right thing". Seriously, what was the right thing, and what was the punishment? How much of a pile-on was there, after his post where he acknowledged a dumb post with sincerity?

The CR has a lot of stupid bullshit in it, and the only reason I made my first post was because I would really like it if posters like @Homesickhorn really did post in here. Hence pointing out that the right lesson is not "don't post in CR", it's "don't call women cunts, and if it is just a joke that landed badly, being used in an ironic sense, try to clarify".

Finally, @Homesickhorn I hope you understand that I'm not trying to continually call you out here. I am tagging you a lot because obviously your posts are part of the conversation with Syndey, but very much acknowledge that you owned the post, I would drop it if it weren't Syndey being such a hyperbolic character.

Hes now apologized twice on this thread. Hes now twice said he would own it and wear it. And he’s come back to continue to post here. Apologizing, admitting you were wrong, and remaining here to take his lumps is what I was illustrating by saying that it is like than 99.9% of America would do in this day and age.   

And you’re right, it’s the internet. No one is obligated to do shit, or stop being assholes, or quit a dog pile. Yes, people can continue to be assholes. In my post, I’m suggesting people maybe, you know, consider extending the olive branch instead. It’s not a mandate, it’s a personal choice. 

I love how your stance is now “oh I’d have dropped but that hyperbolic sydney just keeps posting and I can’t.” What a sad, weak take. Do what you want dude, I’m done detailing this thread. But you keep trying to teach everyone a lesson. 

• Like 1

I would agree with you if we were just talking about B&E and Theft.  But we are talking about people shooting other people for asking them not to shoot off fireworks and shit like that.  Gun violence is up magnitudes over the prior year, and assaults are way up  So, no it isn't just anxiety and unemployment, there is a definite pullback of the NYPD in Manhattan.  But also, fuck excusing people shooting randoms or assaulting someone because they are anxious due to COVID.  
It also does not help that our buddy deBlasio has aggregated the homeless in hotels.  There is a lot of crazy shit going on near where those folks are housed.  And as someone that lives relatively close to one of those hotels, it has made it not safe to be out at night.
I'd argue an increase in petty crime is probably more linked to any hypothetical police drawback than straight murder. People don't not shoot people over fireworks just because the cops might get them. They don't because that's fucking insane and everyone knows it. Breaking into a storefront or something? A perceived lack of police presence might actually change the calculus there.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Where else are homeless people supposed to go right now?

The NYPD pull back happened due to covid as well.  They quit traffic stops, quit patrolling, and quit bothering people for minor "violations."  Do you not remember when like half the force called in sick pre-protest because they were worried about getting sick themselves?   All that happened prior to the protests and the defund the police movement.  

And every crime you listed is due to anxiety.  Both the fireworks and the reaction to them are related to covid anxiety.  The people shooting fireworks every night don't have anything to do tomorrow.  Shooting people is never acceptable.   But that doesn't mean that one can't understand how a feeling of desperation or hopelessness can lead to that.  I also haven't seen anyone excusing shooting someone.  Every single shooter has been arrested or is wanted by the police right now.  Who is getting away with anything?

I'm happy that you've largely weathered covid so far from a personal economic standpoint.  I'm happy I've done so as well.   But having spent months of my childhood with no electricity, and other months with the locks changed on our home, and having very little to eat some days except what my sister and I would affectionately call "bread sandwiches," I can understand where other people's heads are at.  Most people don't just cower in the corner and starve to death.  They lash out, and the rational ones will just take what they need and nothing more.  But humans aren't a particularly healthy species.  A lot of people have underlying psychological issues that always had them on the brink of sociopathic behavior.  Well, now that brink has arrived. 

People need to know they have a roof over their head, food in their bellies, and something pseudo productive to do.  Some of the money should be moved from the PD to these endeavors.  It isn't being moved and likely won't be, however.  Prison is the worst and most expensive way to provide social welfare.

Edited by FondrenRoad

This thread took a weird turn. I'm with Anastasis. I don't like AOC, I don't like her ideas or ideals, and I don't agree with her on almost anything. But she's impressive and deserves to be where she is by virtue of her people. Good for her, I say. 

Further, the language Yoho used was beyond inappropriate and he deserves every ounce of blowback he's getting.

Edited by Rougarou
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

Lesson learned; Don’t comment in the politics thread.

You went a sentence too far and missed the landing. The problem is not that you commented; the problem was content.

This suggests that the mistake was saying something you believe out loud instead of hiding it away, or that the problem with the comment is that it appeared in the Cloak Room. Everything you wrote prior to that sentence was note perfect. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yet it's our #1 mechanism to do so.

We are such a counter-productive society across the board, it's actually pretty mind-boggling.

These kinds of things are counter-productive for 90% of Americans.  The other 10% are profiting handsomely.

(Use your own numbers.)

9 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

This thread took a weird turn. I'm with Anastasis. I don't like AOC, I don't like her ideas or ideals, and I don't agree with her on almost anything.

Can someone provide a link to a fairly detailed explanation of her foreign policy positions? I think that that is an area where there may be some alignment, at least for me, but quick search of her site and wiki provided sparse details (only some stuff about israel and arms sales to SA).  I get that she is more focused on domestic policy, but would like a sense of her other positions. 

On 7/21/2020 at 3:45 PM, Homesickhorn said:

I like to consider myself relatively in the middle on most things partisan, and I think she's a dizzy cunt.

Bro. Too far.  Only jokes about the paralysis of governors and lost eyes fly here.   Popular are “what the fuck is hot wheels thinking?” “man he doesn’t stand up for much” or “hard to take sitting down”.    Also, “but he only sees half the equation” and “bet that was hard to see coming” also accepted.    There’s a fine line, and you are on the wrong side of it, for CR anyhow. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can someone provide a link to a fairly detailed explanation of her foreign policy positions? I think that that is an area where there may be some alignment, at least for me, but quick search of her site and wiki provided sparse details (only some stuff about israel and arms sales to SA).  I get that she is more focused on domestic policy, but would like a sense of her other positions. 

She's a Bernie-ist.  Anti-interventionist and protectionist.  Oddly, foreign policy is also where Trumpist nationalism and progressive protectionism have some alignment.  The big difference is that Trump has no plan for turning tariffs into actual jobs, and is pro-war even while he pretends he isn't.

Where AOC varies from Bernie is that she would base trade policy largely on addressing climate change and on civil rights.  Likely using a carrot or stick approach although I don't see where she's laid out any actual plans.

Do other young Congresspeople have complete platforms suitable for a Presidential run?  

52 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I'd argue an increase in petty crime is probably more linked to any hypothetical police drawback than straight murder. People don't not shoot people over fireworks just because the cops might get them. They don't because that's fucking insane and everyone knows it. Breaking into a storefront or something? A perceived lack of police presence might actually change the calculus there.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/19/brooklyn-lady-killed-over-fireworks-followed-eric-adams-lead-mom/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/nyregion/nyc-shootings-nypd.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/nyregion/murders-nyc-guns-crime.html?searchResultPosition=2

The first article has nothing to do with a police drawback. It was a dispute between individuals. It's news precisely because that sort if thing rarely happens. It's sad as hell that the woman lost her life, but do you honestly believe that if there were more patrol cops or whatever, the neighbor who thinks pulling a gun and shootting her over fireworks is a good idea has a fundamental change in behavior?

The second article cites similar individual shootings. The vast majority of murders are between people that know each other. Fewer cops isn't going to have an impact on heat of the moment crimes of passion. Let's assume they're random. Is a slight reduction in police presence really the magic switch in the brain of the pertain that thinks a random drive by is okay? It also mentions similar trends elsewhere (shootings typically increase in summer in northern cities anyway because no one is outside in the neighborhood and heat does in fact impact mood). So not only would I ask the same question as above, I'd also tip the cap to the NYPD for apparently having influence on the number of shootings outside the city if you're really trying to use that as support.

The third article could be onto something. But again, not really the same thing. Is a hypothetical violently inclined released offender going to shoot someone because of a police drawback, or is that their profile already?

Lastly, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the cops are doing their best to make people feel unsafe and egg on a violent crime escalation. I'm skeptical impact is very much, but I wouldn't blink if it was shown they're trying. Because as an institution, they're petty and have a victim complex, and would love nothing more than for people to just give them a pass to play army and mob goon. If that's what's happening, it's unprofessional as hell and further evidence that the police need deep reform.

You don't have to hole up and pout to stop harassing and killing black people. Just do your job, no more, no less. And if that's take what it takes for them to stop behaving the way they have, then all the more reason to gut that shit. Because if that's the case, it's a pretty clear indication they don't give a fuck about their actual job.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Bro. Too far.  Only jokes about the paralysis of governors and lost eyes fly here.   Popular are “what the fuck is hot wheels thinking?” “man he doesn’t stand up for much” or “hard to take sitting down”.    Also, “but he only sees half the equation” and “bet that was hard to see coming” also accepted.    There’s a fine line, and you are on the wrong side of it, for CR anyhow. 

I don't think the eye patch gets a lot of run.  Crenshaw gets a lot of shit for his idiotic positions as a Representative, but I don't think very many people are pointing at his war wounds and laughing.

As far as Abbott goes, he gets shit not because he was paralyzed in a freak accident, but because he profited handsomely from the subsequent lawsuit and then worked to change the very laws that allowed him to do so.  I'm perfectly fine with calling that particular hypocritical shitbag "Wheels".  Sorry 'bout that.

Edited by jimmyjazz

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think the eye patch gets a lot of run.  Crenshaw gets a lot of shit for his idiotic positions as a Representative, but I don't think very many people are pointing at his war wounds and laughing.

As far as Abbott goes, he gets shit not because he was paralyzed in a freak accident, but because he profited handsomely from the subsequent lawsuit and then worked to change the very laws that allowed him to do so.  I'm perfectly fine with calling that particular hypocritical shitbag "Wheels".  Sorry 'bout that.

What about calling women fat whales or otherwise commenting on their physical appearance (along with sometimes using misogynist adjectives)? I'd be curious how Bama squares that circle because she used to do it with the lady who was former spokesperson, Sarah Huckabee.

4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What about calling women fat whales or otherwise commenting on their physical appearance (along with sometimes using misogynist adjectives)? I'd be curious how Bama squares that circle because she used to do it with the lady who was former spokesperson, Sarah Huckabee.

It is entirely hypocritical. But, we aren't members of congress. I would hope we would have higher standard for them than jack-offs on a sports forum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

This kind of butthurt is amazing after the right did everything but call Obama the N-word in public for 8 years and popularized the phrase "libtard."

You sound like aggy, simultaneously displaying no class and accusing everyone else of displaying no class.

P.S. I hope somebody rolls Abbott over the edge of the Grand Canyon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez