Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

Just wanted to point out that this thread started almost exactly 2 years ago and has 1146 replies, not including this one, for an average of over 15 posts PER DAY.  For a freshman representative from NYC.  Who is female.  And brown.  That's astounding.

Edited by Biff Tannen
over not almost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just wanted to point out that this thread started almost exactly 2 years ago and has 1146 replies, not including this one, for an average of over 15 posts PER DAY.  For a freshman representative from NYC.  Who is female.  And brown.  That's astounding.

In theory, it's crazy that we'd all be talking this much about a newcomer to Congress who doesn't even wield much power.  But Fox made AOC the face of the Democrats because she's easier to attack than Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, etc.  And their idiot horde swarmed on command, because that's what they do.  So here we are.

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, cunt is a delicate word. I use it sparingly in the real world. But I have used it. And you know what? Susan Collins is a CUNT. That bitch from Iowa is a cunt. Shelia Jackson Lee is a cunt.   And I’m ok with my thoughts and saying it here. Flame away. 

I absolutely hate the word.  It's #1 on my list, even above racial pejoratives, because at least some of those have been appropriated by their own and turned into something more benign in some context.

I really don't like the idea of having some sort of internal ranking of nasty words.  I curse like a sailor, but I don't think I've ever used most of the targeted slang.  If you're a shitbag, you're a shitbag, and you're in good company, but it's behavior that makes one a shitbag, not gender or race, etc.

Edited by jimmyjazz

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

In theory, it's crazy that we'd all be talking this much about a newcomer to Congress who doesn't even wield much power.  But Fox made AOC the face of the Democrats because she's easier to attack than Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, etc.  And their idiot horde swarmed on command, because that's what they do.  So here we are.

Let's be clear, it's also more politically correct to attack AOC than their favored targets (Omar, Tlaib, etc.).  They get their share, but AOC is more conventionally beautiful to the old white man club, so it doesn't feel so icky to pick on her.  I mean, they can see fucking AOC on the desk after hours when she comes in to clean the office, but a MUSLIM?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I absolutely hate the word.  It's #1 on my list, even above racial pejoratives, because at least some of those have been appropriated by their own and turned into something more benign in some context.

I really don't like the idea of having some sort of internal ranking of nasty words.  I curse like a sailor, but I don't think I've ever used most of the targeted slang.  If you're a shitbag, you're a shitbag, and you're in good company, but it's your behavior that makes one a shitbag, not gender or race, etc.

I mean, I generally agree with everything here. I try really hard in life to base my assumptions and thoughts on people’s actions and how they behave, and that’s fucking it. Life should be a fucking Meritocracy. 

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread now has me confused on the rules. If someone is called a fucking asshole is that no longer allowed? And Sydney has a lot of friends. Sydney will you be my friend too?

I mean, sure, but only if you live in Houston. When I said the world should be a meritocracy I forgot to exclude regional exceptions as part of the manifesto. But yeah, I’ve met some good people over the years at various shaggy HH. I used to have a HH once a month with Penelope until I had a kid and she moved to NY. Homesick and I have been friends for 8 or so years now. I tried to be there for the guy when he went through a nasty, nasty divorce.  Although I’m sure some folks are skeptical such a hyperbolic cunt such as myself is capable of having friends. 

• Hook 'Em 3

36 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What about calling women fat whales or otherwise commenting on their physical appearance (along with sometimes using misogynist adjectives)? I'd be curious how Bama squares that circle because she used to do it with the lady who was former spokesperson, Sarah Huckabee.

I totally agree with that. Also it gets really old seeing the "women are bad at math" memes. It sucks and we should do better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The first article has nothing to do with a police drawback. It was a dispute between individuals. It's news precisely because that sort if thing rarely happens. It's sad as hell that the woman lost her life, but do you honestly believe that if there were more patrol cops or whatever, the neighbor who thinks pulling a gun and shootting her over fireworks is a good idea has a fundamental change in behavior?

The second article cites similar individual shootings. The vast majority of murders are between people that know each other. Fewer cops isn't going to have an impact on heat of the moment crimes of passion. Let's assume they're random. Is a slight reduction in police presence really the magic switch in the brain of the pertain that thinks a random drive by is okay? It also mentions similar trends elsewhere (shootings typically increase in summer in northern cities anyway because no one is outside in the neighborhood and heat does in fact impact mood). So not only would I ask the same question as above, I'd also tip the cap to the NYPD for apparently having influence on the number of shootings outside the city if you're really trying to use that as support.

The third article could be onto something. But again, not really the same thing. Is a hypothetical violently inclined released offender going to shoot someone because of a police drawback, or is that their profile already?

Lastly, I wouldn't at all be surprised if the cops are doing their best to make people feel unsafe and egg on a violent crime escalation. I'm skeptical impact is very much, but I wouldn't blink if it was shown they're trying. Because as an institution, they're petty and have a victim complex, and would love nothing more than for people to just give them a pass to play army and mob goon. If that's what's happening, it's unprofessional as hell and further evidence that the police need deep reform.

You don't have to hole up and pout to stop harassing and killing black people. Just do your job, no more, no less. And if that's take what it takes for them to stop behaving the way they have, then all the more reason to gut that shit. Because if that's the case, it's a pretty clear indication they don't give a fuck about their actual job.

Yeah.  I'm not at all sure I trust the police union on why crime is rising.  The recent rise in the violent crime rate is also after years of record low crime, and is still far below NYC crime rates of years past.  I'm also wondering what percentage of this is domestic violence--I can't imagine being cooped up in a house with your family for months is doing anything good for domestic violence rates.

Edit to add: law enforcement has a vested interest in scaring the public.  They already have less work due to the end of cash bail, and they have incentive to scare the rest of this that things like ending cash bail or having pot dealers on the streets during Covid is going to kill us all.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think the eye patch gets a lot of run.  Crenshaw gets a lot of shit for his idiotic positions as a Representative, but I don't think very many people are pointing at his war wounds and laughing.

As far as Abbott goes, he gets shit not because he was paralyzed in a freak accident, but because he profited handsomely from the subsequent lawsuit and then worked to change the very laws that allowed him to do so.  I'm perfectly fine with calling that particular hypocritical shitbag "Wheels".  Sorry 'bout that.

You can justify however you'd like; the entire political realm is littered with hypocrites, AOC included.  

I'm not going to go back and quote the eye jokes from the thread on that dipshit, but they are there if you want to find it.

It's very clear why those two are fair game, and others are not.  But we can play obtuse.   I wonder if  Melania has ever been described as a bitch, whore, or cunt on this site? Or Betsy DeVos.    And if so, I'm sure that poster would be immediately negged and schooled on the respect all women should command.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Edit to add: law enforcement has a vested interest in scaring the public.  They already have less work due to the end of cash bail, and they have incentive to scare the rest of this that things like ending cash bail or having pot dealers on the streets during Covid is going to kill us all.

Forget cash bail for a sec, why do they have less work? In some areas, police spend a lot of time in their vehicles which is understandable especially where foot patrol is difficult due to the size of the patrol area, but seems like there are proactive conversations they could be having with community members every day of the week. I don't know what I don't know, and so I am positive that policing has aspects that I misunderstand and have no knowledge of how it works, but I would like to see more of the serving part of 'protect and serve.' I see them handing out bicycle helmets (good job!) and speaking at the schools, National Night Out, etc, which are proactive ways to get to know people. Maybe less SWAT and more SWEAT would be a good thing.

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You can justify however you'd like; the entire political realm is littered with hypocrites, AOC included.  

I'm not going to go back and quote the eye jokes from the thread on that dipshit, but they are there if you want to find it.

It's very clear why those two are fair game, and others are not.  But we can play obtuse.   I wonder if  Melania has ever been described as a bitch, whore, or cunt on this site? Or Betsy DeVos.    And if so, I'm sure that poster would be immediately negged and schooled on the respect all women should command.  

What a fucking copout.  Do random people post shit that is deplorable?  Sure.  Sometimes that gets a little closer to the truth than not:  let's take DeVos and AOC as per your examples.  It's not a political assessment to say AOC isn't a bitch and DeVos is.  AOC has Americans' best interests at heart, and DeVos most definitely does not.  Fuck DeVos.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

This kind of butthurt is amazing after the right did everything but call Obama the N-word in public for 8 years and popularized the phrase "libtard."

You sound like aggy, simultaneously displaying no class and accusing everyone else of displaying no class.

P.S. I hope somebody rolls Abbott over the edge of the Grand Canyon.

I'm not butthurt about the name calling. I honestly dgaf if you name called every single person one way or the other.  But to act like it is the breakdown of society when one gets called out, and not the other, is aggy af, and dishonest at its core.  Maybe being called a bitch or a cunt is worse than being mocked for ones disabilities, I don't know.  

Also interested in how bringing up the fact many on the board are hypocritical af is dispalying no class?  Sorry it's hard for you to look in that particular mirror. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

What a fucking copout.  Do random people post shit that is deplorable?  Sure.  Sometimes that gets a little closer to the truth than not:  let's take DeVos and AOC as per your examples.  It's not a political assessment to say AOC isn't a bitch and DeVos is.  AOC has Americans' best interests at heart, and DeVos most definitely does not.  Fuck DeVos.

AOC has her interests at heart.  Killing certain industries that would fuck millions of Americans so that others feel good isn't "Having Americans best interest at heart".  It's having the Americans that agree with her teams best interest at heart. It's having some Americans best interest at heart. That's her job, to back what her constituents want.

And last I checked, @Homesickhorn is a "random person", and his comments are what we were discussing.  I'm not arguing the fucking idiot peer of hers who called her names; my discussion on this subject has been purely on how its bullshit some posters get away with one thing, and others don't, depending on your team.

• Hook 'Em 1

Even the NYT perpetuate the sexist bullshittery.

The event that “shatters norms” is presented is AOC repeating the sexist slur and not her colleague reportedly using a sexist slur aimed at her. The framing criticizes her media savvy and radical instead of the racism and sexism aimed at her.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

AOC has her interests at heart.  Killing certain industries that would fuck millions of Americans so that others feel good isn't "Having Americans best interest at heart".  It's having the Americans that agree with her teams best interest at heart. It's having some Americans best interest at heart. That's her job, to back what her constituents want.

And last I checked, @Homesickhorn is a "random person", and his comments are what we were discussing.  I'm not arguing the fucking idiot peer of hers who called her names; my discussion on this subject has been purely on how its bullshit some posters get away with one thing, and others don't, depending on your team.

Oh, wah.  Head to the _DT thread if you want ideological purity for conservatives.  The smart people are over here and are far and away more willing to try to effect change that is good for all.

I really feel for you.  Really, I do.  It must be hard.

Edited by jimmyjazz

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

there's a conversation to be had about what sort of costs should be imposed on the public at large so that a private profit can be made, and if that's a good thing at all when the public costs are multiples of the private profit. 

but usually we just start shouting about jealously, burying our heads in the sand about the costs, or worrying about the private profit.  that's why the GND has that big jobs program - to prevent the fucking over of millions of americans in the fossil carbon industry. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

its bullshit some posters get away with one thing, and others don't, depending on your team.

Exactly. So Jay Z can rap the nword all he wants and everyone says he’s a genius but when I say it I’m a “racist” and “can’t see my kids anymore” 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, wah.  Head to the _DT thread if you want ideological purity for conservatives.  The smart people are over here and are far and away more willing to try to effect change that is good for all.

I really feel for you.  Really, I do.  It must be hard.

It's not difficult at all for me, but thank you for your concern.  

I also feel for you.  You made it an entire two sentences before an attempt to belittle someone who doesn't fall lock and step inline with your thoughts.  "Good for all".  Let's hope.

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It's not difficult at all for me, but thank you for your concern.  

I also feel for you.  You made it an entire two sentences before an attempt to belittle someone who doesn't fall lock and step inline with your thoughts.  "Good for all".  Let's hope.

If you can't understand the fact that this is not a private club but more of a dive bar, without a general manager, and that some things will fly and some won't, then I can't help you.  I know for a fact you're way smarter than this.  The idea of coming in here and railing on hypocrisy, which is of course real but not a summation of every poster on this forum, is rich.  I mean, fully half of the regulars here are CONSERVATIVES who have just caved to the utter malfeasance being visited on this country by the right.  There is no handbook, there are no rules, some of us have different standards than others, and yet you seem to feel like we're all in lockstep.  That couldn't be further from the truth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

In her defense, we're hoping you had yours dialed in as well, my man. I mean, you're a regular on the Recruiting board. You'd better know better than to get Scorpio'd

I didnt get scorpio'd, I just thought the effort wasn't there in that post.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If you can't understand the fact that this is not a private club but more of a dive bar, without a general manager, and that some things will fly and some won't, then I can't help you.  I know for a fact you're way smarter than this.  The idea of coming in here and railing on hypocrisy, which is of course real but not a summation of every poster on this forum, is rich.  I mean, fully half of the regulars here are CONSERVATIVES who have just caved to the utter malfeasance being visited on this country by the right.  There is no handbook, there are no rules, some of us have different standards than others, and yet you seem to feel like we're all in lockstep.  That couldn't be further from the truth.

I understand it brother, I dabble in here from time to time, when my rep can afford it.  I know this place if full of hyperbole on ALL SIDES (both sides dammit).  Just not sure @Homesickhorn did, and I guess educations are expensive as they say.  Carry on CR.  

Edited by fattyflattie

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

What about calling women fat whales or otherwise commenting on their physical appearance (along with sometimes using misogynist adjectives)? I'd be curious how Bama squares that circle because she used to do it with the lady who was former spokesperson, Sarah Huckabee.

i'm female. i never commented on her weight. i did comment on her horrendous whore-level makeup job and the fact she was an unpleasant, lying mouthpiece, pretty sure i called her a lying bitch a few times. didn't feel particularly hypocritical.

i mean, she can't control her physical characteristics, but she sure as shit can control her makeup and the shit that pours out of her mouth. i'm not too conflicted about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean, technically she has some control some of her physical characteristics as well, if we're being honest. But none of that changes the fact that by far the most hideous thing about her is her stupidity and ass personality. Maybe the fact she's morally bankrupt, which considering her father is also not surprising. He dogshit looks probably don't crack the top 5 things about her that are disgusting. 

So, are we done talking about AOC here? Should we rename the fucking thread to "Cloak Room Hypocrisy and Accepted Unspoken Decorum" or maybe "Muledick?"

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Forget cash bail for a sec, why do they have less work? In some areas, police spend a lot of time in their vehicles which is understandable especially where foot patrol is difficult due to the size of the patrol area, but seems like there are proactive conversations they could be having with community members every day of the week. I don't know what I don't know, and so I am positive that policing has aspects that I misunderstand and have no knowledge of how it works, but I would like to see more of the serving part of 'protect and serve.' I see them handing out bicycle helmets (good job!) and speaking at the schools, National Night Out, etc, which are proactive ways to get to know people. Maybe less SWAT and more SWEAT would be a good thing.

Less need for corrections officers.  It's not so much that the local police have less work, but local governments should in theory be employing less corrections officers. Something the police unions don't like and need to fearmonger about.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

But Fox made AOC the face of the Democrats because she's easier to attack than Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, etc. 

Maybe it was DNC chair Tom Perez who made her a target when, in 2018, he said:

"I have three kids, two of whom are daughters. One just graduated college, one who is in college, and they were both texting me about their excitement over Alexandria because she really — she represents the future of our party," 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yeah, the one Deblasio proposal that I always liked was community policing. Police were going to walk a regular beat, get to know residents and business owners, pet dogs, tell troublemaking kids to go home, try to get homeless people into shelters, etc.  Never happened. Police didn't want to get out of their cars. Not out of fear, but out of laziness.  This predates covid by years, much less the protest. Police don't want to deter crime. They want to react to it. They don't meet their quota if crime is deterred. Officers are judged by their arrest numbers rather than the relative safety of their area. 

Traffic cops never stopped walking beats and people hate them more than regular police.  Nobody threatens them. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

1 hour ago, Homesickhorn said:

I 100% agree with you in hindsight.  But I'd like to attempt to restructure that final sentence as opposed to deleting it, and here's why.  I seldom, if ever, post in this particular forum.  I'm typically laughing at aggy, funny pics, or posting pics of sneks.  I realize now that this forum is a metric fuck-ton more serious, or at least it's taken more seriously than the others, and that was something I really didn't understand before, but absolutely understand now.  That ignorance on my part, coupled with using a shitty coupling of words, really kicked the hornets nest through the uprights.  My attempts to explain that I really was actually being facetious, and my hoping that it would be shrugged off, were again, extremely ignorant on my part.  The more I posted, and the responses I received, helped me realize that all I was doing at that point was lobbing canisters of gasoline on an already lit fire. 

Those of you who know me IRL know that I'm not a shitty person, and those who don't, hopefully understand that I fucked up,  owned it, and apologized.  I'd really like to just turn the page at this point. 

Nicely done, sir. Don't shy from posting here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cacti said:

Maybe it was DNC chair Tom Perez who made her a target when, in 2018, he said:

Yeah, that one comment did it.  The whole right wing parrot parade has been responding to that remark, not the thousands of stories on Fox News about this brown woman with a hyphenated last name getting all uppity in D.C.  Sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Even the NYT perpetuate the sexist bullshittery.

The event that “shatters norms” is presented is AOC repeating the sexist slur and not her colleague reportedly using a sexist slur aimed at her. The framing criticizes her media savvy and radical instead of the racism and sexism aimed at her.

There is something so hidebound and hypocritical about clutching your pearls about a world like "fuck." To see adults call it "the F word" always embarrasses me for the speaker. It's a word that isn't meant for common speech and it can be offensive, but my guess is that just about everyone at the NT Times uses the word all the time. The pearl clutching is faux pearl clutching.

AOC quoting Yoho is excellent usage. I do get tired of overuse of "fuck" in common speech in same way I wish we'd outlaw the words incredible and amazing. All three are words supposed to have impact, but they barely mean anything now due to overuse.  John Oliver's team, in all other respects excellent, actually diminish the quality of the show by overusing fuck just because they can.

I'm extra wordy today for some reason. Anyone whose panties are in a wad because of AOC quoting another member of the House, really needs to review their priorities and reflex reactions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, cunt is a delicate word. I use it sparingly in the real world. But I have used it. And you know what? Susan Collins is a CUNT. That bitch from Iowa is a cunt. Shelia Jackson Lee is a cunt.   And I’m ok with my thoughts and saying it here. Flame away. 

see you next Tuesday

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

It's very clear why those two are fair game, and others are not.  But we can play obtuse.   I wonder if  Melania has ever been described as a bitch, whore, or cunt on this site?

But she is a whore.

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have lots of British friends, and they drop "cunt" all the time.  I have gotten into a bad habit of using it a lot more.  But I also think both men and women can be cunts. It is all about how you act.

From Aussies it was practically every required in every sentence.  But I am probably being cheeky again.   

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have lots of British friends, and they drop "cunt" all the time.  I have gotten into a bad habit of using it a lot more.  But I also think both men and women can be cunts. It is all about how you act.

see also: twat.

proper usage: see, that dude over there wearing the google glass? he's such a twat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

see also: twat.

proper usage: see, that dude over there wearing the google glass? he's such a twat.

Twat is such a funny word.  I mean, funny, like I can't hear it without laughing.  And the fact that it's usually in a brit accent makes it even funnier.  It's right up there with "wanker."

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's be clear, it's also more politically correct to attack AOC than their favored targets (Omar, Tlaib, etc.).  They get their share, but AOC is more conventionally beautiful to the old white man club, so it doesn't feel so icky to pick on her.  I mean, they can see fucking AOC on the desk after hours when she comes in to clean the office, but a MUSLIM?

I can fap to this.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Twat is such a funny word.  I mean, funny, like I can't hear it without laughing.  And the fact that it's usually in a brit accent makes it even funnier.  It's right up there with "wanker."

Or East Texas.

[Rodney] You go get in that bath and wash your twat.  I was just tired of the bitching.  Someone show me where it is and I'll clean the damn twat!  Then I discovered what twat is, and I was like "I like twaaaaat" [Carrington]

44 minutes ago, Bookman said:

But she is a whore.

Touche

From Aussies it was practically every required in every sentence.  But I am probably being cheeky again.   

For whatever reason the good things about cunt didn’t cross the Atlantic so it’s the worst female pejorative there is.

I once heard a Aussie reply to “how did you sleep?” with:

“Mate! AC was perfect, I pulled up that top sheet and slept like a right warm cunt” No American would ever claim to have slept like a pussy.

That conversation devolved into curse words around the world and how there was so little ownership of pussy/cunt in US, and how fucker is so over used here we had to add Mother to everyday usage.

Bad ass, the tits, the balls, the shit, fucking a, I’m a nasty bitch, cocky, el chingon...on and on.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

"we have really everything in common with america nowadays, except, of course, language"

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez