Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am sorry that your brain is so irreparably damaged that you don't realize that giving health 30 years old a C19 vaccine before we've covered the actual at risk population is indefensible.  

I am sorry you are so tactically retarded (retarded!) that you can't divorce your disdain for a class of people from their ability to influence public health response.  Hey-o!

Pretty funny watching you guys trip over yourselves one way and the other based on which politicians are getting their shots. 

Look guys, there is a protocol.  There are priorities. If you want to talk public health response happy to do so.  Just try to find your consistency. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Pretty funny watching you guys trip over yourselves one way and the other based on which politicians are getting their shots.

I don't think I've done that.  I've supported Ladybugs and Little Marco getting their vaccines early, although it's pretty justifiable to point out the hypocrisy.  

Look guys, there is a protocol.  There are priorities. If you want to talk public health response happy to do so.  Just try to find your consistency. 
Who? Don't broad-brush the board.

I don’t see what is so controversial about that stance.  All politicians in this country should have waited until every last frontline and essential worker received the vaccine.  
Every fucking last one of them should have waited.  
They’re not inspiring anyone, they’re just skipping the line and delaying someone more at risk from getting it.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DigDug said:

I don’t see what is so controversial about that stance.  All politicians in this country should have waited until every last frontline and essential worker received the vaccine.  
They’re not inspiring anyone, they’re just skipping the line and delaying someone more at risk from getting it.  

There isn’t.  Another example of government me first hypocrisy.

Shutdown businesses for 9 months? No problem. Government may go one day without pay? Fuck that! Let’s get to work!

These fucking clowns spent how long arguing over $600 checks to the American public while making how much?

And after all of that, they’re first in line to make sure they get the vaccine. We’d be better off if corona ran through all of congress and reminded them that they are just a representation of everyday America. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DigDug said:

This

but I’m also not going to work myself into a frenzy and get all worked up because members of Congress jumped to the front of the line.  What else did you expect?

100% i think my parents should get it before the denier gop congressman/woman that downplayed it from the beginning (I’m looking at you and your most punchable face in the universe Matt Gaetz (Ted Cruz is a close second)).  Those slapdicks should’ve been thrown to the back of the line. But we knew that wasn’t going to be the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

The politicians need to be some of the very first vaccinated for no other reason than to attempt to change the opinion of the vaccine fence sitters who think it was approved too quickly,  are skeptical of its efficacy or worse, see it as some type of government overreach. I'm not talking about the Q nut jobs who think Bill Gates has inserted microchips in the vax. They'll never get the shot. But if you want to eliminate the narrative that the vax is somehow unsafe then the highest profile elected officials need to be in the first wave. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The politicians need to be some of the very first vaccinated for no other reason than to attempt to change the opinion of the vaccine fence sitters who think it was approved too quickly,

I think you are putting too much faith in this marketing strategy.  Politicians are the least trusted class of people on this planet, other than lawyers.  One old almost dead NASCAR driver would better strategy than 100 politicians. 

14 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

The politicians need to be some of the very first vaccinated for no other reason than to attempt to change the opinion of the vaccine fence sitters who think it was approved too quickly,  are skeptical of its efficacy or worse, see it as some type of government overreach. I'm not talking about the Q nut jobs who think Bill Gates has inserted microchips in the vax. They'll never get the shot. But if you want to eliminate the narrative that the vax is somehow unsafe then the highest profile elected officials need to be in the first wave. 

I agree, but not yet. The vaccine isn't available for the general public, so why do we need to convince everyone right now? Get it to frontline workers and the elderly right now, then we can let every politician, athlete, singer, celebrity, Instagram influencer, etc post their pic of them getting the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Don't we think our efforts are better spent on simply saying "look dumbshit, if you want to stupid, be stupid, but we are going to do the right thing, and if you want to get on the bus, fine.  If not, fuck off, because there is a line for these vaccines."

Do we have to have a marketing strategy to "help Qanons and Trumpists and just plain naive people" pull their heads out of their ass?  No, it's not worth the effort especially since if the vaccine is successful the reluctance is going to fade away fast.

IF we get to a point where we have an oversupply of vaccines that certain groups refuse to take, THEN I think we can worry about marketing to those people.  We aren't there yet.  And given that plenty of people will take the vaccine, I'm not sure why people think that the folks who are reluctant now aren't going to change. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t see what is so controversial about that stance.

What you don't get is that Anastasis wanted to argue about something so he brought it up and then blamed everyone else for getting our panties in a twist. Mr. Bothsides has decided that only one side can be correct and has come in with strawmen and ad hominems to prove it.

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

What you don't get is that Anastasis wanted to argue about something

We’ll that’s true. But I think that politicians cutting the line when there are limited vax resources and we haven’t yet hit the highest risk populations or even gotten to non hc essential workers is a good thing to argue about. 

36 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

IF we get to a point where we have an oversupply of vaccines that certain groups refuse to take, THEN I think we can worry about marketing to those people.  We aren't there yet.

When we get to essential workers, maybe then the politicians can get in line.  

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think I've done that.  I've supported Ladybugs and Little Marco getting their vaccines early, although it's pretty justifiable to point out the hypocrisy.  

Let me quote myself and point out the very real possibility that a significant fraction of Trump's base will no doubt see Lady Lindsey and Little Marco getting their shots, and instead of deciding "hey, maybe I *will* get the vaccine" they'll probably just default to "deep state, drain the swamp, we could never trust those guys".

So, that's a counterpoint I didn't really think through.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let me quote myself and point out the very real possibility that a significant fraction of Trump's base will no doubt see Lady Lindsey and Little Marco getting their shots, and instead of deciding "hey, maybe I *will* get the vaccine" they'll probably just default to "deep state, drain the swamp, we could never trust those guys".

So, that's a counterpoint I didn't really think through.

That's why the vaccination strategy can't get all tied up trying to cater to these people. Stick to the plan based on risk and role. Take your selfie and post it on the twatters occupying your rightful place in line. If people don't want to get their shots, fuck 'em.  We have a limited supply anyways. Once we hit up all the people who are ready to roll in the right order based on risk profile, we circle back and put the press on the others.  Many of the vax hesitant folks have reasonable concerns, those people can be reached. The microchip people are a lost cause.     

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Of course, but then they don't get to skip the line in front of everyone else.  

Shocked.  Not Shocked that some of the posters here turn their head selectively deflecting with various ad hominems. 

And AOC isn't even close to the worst example.  Just the one that certain posters find some reason to rally behind. 

cool man, don't vote for her, then.

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That's why the vaccination strategy can't get all tied up trying to cater to these people. Stick to the plan based on risk and role. Take your selfie and post it on the twatters occupying your rightful place in line. If people don't want to get their shots, fuck 'em.  We have a limited supply anyways. Once we hit up all the people who are ready to roll in the right order based on risk profile, we circle back and put the press on the others.  Many of the vax hesitant folks have reasonable concerns, those people can be reached. The microchip people are a lost cause.     

Has there been any effort to define priority by likelihood of super-spreading?  I get the rationale for vaccinating healthcare workers first, but in reality, I doubt they're the most likely group to spread the virus.  We just need them to stay alive.

Given the known risk in going to restaurants, bars, etc. it's not inconceivable that the workers at those establishments might do more damage to the public than others, although most of them are masked, so maybe not.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, in a normal, rational world, sure.  But we've not had any kind of stimulus in 10 months and I kinda think we have to take whatever we get here, unless there is a provision installing dotard as dictator for life or something.

That's a broad activity they are criminalizing. Why is that an emergency? 

Tillis is bought and paid for. 

This is who wanted the felony criminal charges for copyright infractions. How is any of this legal?

Tillis, the chairman of the Intellectual Properties Subcommittee, was recently re-elected for another six-year term by a margin of less than 2% over his Democratic opponent. In the final stretch of his campaign, Tillis received a surge of campaign contributions from PACs affiliated with entertainment companies and trade groups that lobby Congress for aggressive copyright enforcement against internet users, including prison time for unauthorized streaming.

In the third and fourth quarters of 2020, Tillis’ campaign and leadership PAC received donations from PACs affiliated with the Motion Picture Association, Sony Pictures, ASCAP, Universal Music Group, Comcast & NBC Universal, The Internet and Television Association, Salem Media Group, Warner Music, and others in the entertainment and cable industry that seek to suppress the unauthorized sharing of content. Many other entertainment industry PACs gave Tillis contributions earlier in the 2019-20 cycle, totaling well over $100,000, according to Federal Election Commission records. Executives of Fox Corporation, Sony Entertainment, Charter Communications, and CBS also made large donations to Tillis in the third quarter of this year.

https://readsludge.com/2020/12/07/tillis-pushes-prison-time-for-online-streamers-after-pre-election-hollywood-cash-blitz/

i think there's some confusion - the $600 paychecks for poors bill has passed through congress and is waiting for trump's sharpie, is it not?  and this is the regular government funding bill that is the result of the short extension they did last week, is it not?

Edit: per NPR this is the $900b covid bill plus 1.4t regular spending

19 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Well I couldn't find anyone that really wanted to argue about Rubio's little bitch ass, but seems like a few line up when their favored low risk 30 year old gets dropped. 

i think AOC should get to the end of the line a well, but my blood boils more when i see politicians who have been acting irresponsibly during the pandemic and who have been silent to the President's reckless actions get to the front of the line.

i dunno...i guess i am discovering that for me, entitlement pisses me off, but hypocrisy makes me really blow a gasket.

3 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i think AOC should get to the end of the line a well, but my blood boils more when i see politicians who have been acting irresponsibly during the pandemic and who have been silent to the President's reckless actions get to the front of the line.

i dunno...i guess i am discovering that for me, entitlement pisses me off, but hypocrisy makes me really blow a gasket.

I find no reason to disagree with any of that. 

But the queue is a math equation. Fuck off politicians. Unless you are in line to hold the football, wait your fucking turn.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

That's a broad activity they are criminalizing. Why is that an emergency? 

It's already criminalized.  17 USC 506 and 18 USC 2319.  This would appear to either be a redundant federal criminal law (nowai!) or a penalty enhancement.

Tillis a hack and a turd and I wish we had someone more competent in charge of IP legislation, but Klobs has sponsored similar legislation off and on for 10 years.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's already criminalized.  17 USC 506 and 18 USC 2319.  This would appear to either be a redundant federal criminal law (nowai!) or a penalty enhancement.

Tillis a hack and a turd and I wish we had someone more competent in charge of IP legislation, but Klobs has sponsored similar legislation off and on for 10 years.

So why the hurry . . . by the whores in Congress, whether Klobs or Tillis?

(both should be tarred and feathered). 

Streaming was made a felony with this.

Edited by washparkhorn

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez