The Americans (FX)

APMP

17 hours ago, AggieFactFinder said:

Had to watch late last night after a party.  My dumbass thought the episode ended as Stan was at the scene of the Teacups' murder.  It was only upon reading Sepinwall's episode recap this morning that I realized I missed the ending. 

I'd been wondering if Philip might have to choose between killing Elizabeth or killing Stan/letting Elizabeth kill Stan.  But with the Teacups out of it, I'm not sure how Elizabeth and Stan will cross paths working.  Could Stan finally show some meager competence for the first time in 6 seasons?  And at this point Philip has to be wondering if Elizabeth has ever given one shit about him- even the secret wedding could have been a long play.  Will she tell him that right before she kills him to really twist the knife?  Love that we have no idea which way this will go.   

He already knows about a couple living as spies, his associate or at least the guy on the stairs at the very least saw Elizabeth's shitty disguise. I don't think the Stan vs. Elizabeth angle is close to being over. 

And it would be kind of a shitty way to end the show if the only main character from the FBI has nothing to do with the outcome of Elizabeth/Phillip

Dang it, I let the edit function time out on me:

So, as to my my previous statement above, I'm curious to say how the writers handle it because in reality, Phil doesn't need Stan's help to eliminate Liz - I'm guessing he'll involve Stan in order to get a deal to take care of Paige and bro

Phil and Elizabeth have murdered Americans. I don't see anyone going to the government and missing prison.

It's a great show, and I have no idea where they are going. Elizabeth has become feral. There is little that she is doing that Phil can stomach anymore.

A detail in the father-daughter fight that I liked was Paige biting his hand and he not letting himself react. In most fight scenes, biting is usually portrayed as something akin to a kick in the balls.

Tough Russian not care about bite. Like bite. Now die.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:28 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Does anyone else roll their eyes and look at their phone when Dying Wife shows up? 

I roll my eyes everytime Paige Is on screen.  Horrible storyline and I’m a little tired of 98lb girls going around kicking guys asses on screen.  I’m all for suspending reality a bit but this is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Regardless of how Phillip & Elizabeth end up, I think that Page is going to die soon.  She's too careless and her self-confidence is off the charts.  I loved Phillip putting her in her place, but I just don't see it making much of a difference.  Now, if she does die soon, will Elizabeth's reaction be to double down or take a step back and think about her choices?

I too hate the "dying woman" storyline.  I like that it is humanizing Elizabeth more, but it's painful to sit through.

That was a great episode.  I looked Phillip acting as the audience proxy in showing Paige that a 100 lb girl thinking she can handle grown men isn't going to end well.

Phillip has now crossed the Rubicon.  I'm still team Liz but I'm starting to dread the ending.  I can't see it going well for anyone.

Also, did anyone else think that when Stan showed up at the safehouse that the little kid was going to be dead too?

Edited by WBT

18 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Whatever happens with Stan, they've botched his character.  He's been impotent for too long as an investigator.  

Eh, IMHO his story is fine. 

He's starts out a hardass, break the rules asshole lifer Feeb.  His partner gets murdered and he legit assassinates an innocent young guy in retribution.  He then is gung-fucking-ho to get the Russians and whoop some ass, but it all backfires on him.  He loses the respect of his bosses, he loses Nina, he loses his marriage.  So he bails on the counter-intelligence stuff and moves to a department that doesn't wind him up so bad.  Gets a new gal.  Turns his life around.  He was a great investigator, but it was wrecking him. 

And of course, this is all going to come crashing down on him when he finds out Phil and Elizabeth are ultra-Russian spies that have been under his nose the entire time.  It's going to be glorious. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 5:31 AM, SpiralOut said:

And of course, this is all going to come crashing down on him when he finds out Phil and Elizabeth are ultra-Russian spies that have been under his nose the entire time.  It's going to be glorious. 

Can't wait. 

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, that is the absolute truth.

Another truth is that some opinions just flat suck.

Glad you are into the mother daughter commie super spy duo. I mean, it's almost as compelling and realistic as the Spy Kids franchise. Maybe with a little more development and a couple laser guns they will get there by the end of the season.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

Glad you are into the mother daughter commie super spy duo. I mean, it's almost as compelling and realistic as the Spy Kids franchise. Maybe with a little more development and a couple laser guns they will get there by the end of the season.

There's a lot more than that going on.  Sorry you are missing it.

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

There's a lot more than that going on.  Sorry you are missing it.

I'm not. I've invested the better part of the decade in this show, I'm gonna make it to the end even if every episode is so inane it melts my face. The only thing keeping me going is the flicker of hope that Elizabeth is mercilessly tortured and killed or strapped to a chair with her eyelids strung open Clockwork Orange style and forced to watch the Berlin Wall come down. Or both. 

Paige dying would be bonus points.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK

This is building up to an epic showdown.  

For as delicate they have been with dropping hints of twists and turns I don't like the Stan's wife angle whatever that turns out to be. It's clunky and feels forced. Still a damn good episode and enjoying the ride. 

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

Also, I enjoyed the mail robot cameo.

Agreed, that was great. 

Also loved the overhead shot of the Merchandise Mart in Chicago heading up Wacker, also solid work by the editor as Trump tower was right around the corner.

35 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

Previews from next week look incredibly interadasting.

Indeed they do. 

But I don't think what we hear Phil say to Stan is gonna mean what we think - not yet anyway. They are gonna throw another twist or two at us first.

I also wonder what Phil's true intentions are in Chicago.

4 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

Indeed they do. 

But I don't think what we hear Phil say to Stan is gonna mean what we think - not yet anyway. They are gonna throw another twist or two at us first.

I also wonder what Phil's true intentions are in Chicago.

Yeah, there's no way that was about being a spy.  It was about problems with the Travel Agency or with his marriage.

14 minutes ago, RPM said:

I wonder what was in the message he sent Oleg.

I thought it was pretty obvious, but I could be wrong. He went to Elizabeth's safe house, and translated the messages she had received (presumably from the rogue Russian General), and gave that info to Oleg

OK, here's my fan fiction prediction. Henry starts blabbing about unusual activity to Stan. Stan blows it off, but the seed is planted. During his used car search he stumbles across the Oldsmobile they keep at the safehouse. Safehouse is raided, but they don't ID the Jennings, yet.

Philip prevents the extraction in Chicago which is the final straw for The Center and they order Elizabeth to kill Philip. Paige gets wind and tries to stop Elizabeth. Elizabeth kills Paige, Philip kills Elizabeth. Renee kills Phillip and makes it look like suicide.

Henry moves in with Stan. Renee kills Henry, Stan kills Renee then kills himself for being such a dipshit.

Or I could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RPM said:

OK, here's my fan fiction prediction. Henry starts blabbing about unusual activity to Stan. Stan blows it off, but the seed is planted. During his used car search he stumbles across the Oldsmobile they keep at the safehouse. Safehouse is raided, but they don't ID the Jennings, yet.

Philip prevents the extraction in Chicago which is the final straw for The Center and they order Elizabeth to kill Philip. Paige gets wind and tries to stop Elizabeth. Elizabeth kills Paige, Philip kills Elizabeth. Renee kills Phillip and makes it look like suicide.

Henry moves in with Stan. Renee kills Henry, Stan kills Renee then kills himself for being such a dipshit.

Or I could be completely wrong.

latest?cb=20150622201610

I think you nailed it. Next time, spoiler that shit.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, RPM said:

Good times

pointless musing, but of all the family, does Paige face the greatest legal risk in terms of spying?  They're all screwed, but Philip and Elizabeth are Russians sent here to do what they're doing, while Paige was born here.  I guess since we weren't at war with the Soviets she hasn't committed treason, so it'd be considered espionage.  I could see the US trading Russian spies, but wouldn't Paige be stuck here in prison? 

She's the only traitor in the family, assuming Henry hasn't gone rogue.  

Holy shit, that was a tense episode.

It felt a little too convenient that Stan started getting suspicious the way he did.  I expected a big bang of realization tied to the car search or something.  But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Regardless, this thing is building to a hell of a crescendo and there are several believable outcomes on the table.  Good stuff.

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Holy shit, that was a tense episode.

It felt a little too convenient that Stan started getting suspicious the way he did.  I expected a big bang of realization tied to the car search or something.  But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Regardless, this thing is building to a hell of a crescendo and there are several believable outcomes on the table.  Good stuff.

I think maybe it has been an itch in the back of his mind. The reason he likely did not reach for it was the fact that Phillip backed away for a very long time and Stan had transferred away from the CT unit. Now he is back and suddenly, Phillip goes on this trip, during a family holiday, when he had been staying at home for awhile. Note his recollection of the last words of the guy they caught.