The Americans (FX)

APMP

I don't think it was too convenient. That is how intuition works. Little various pieces from disparate corners of your mind just start bumping into each other in your subconscious and forcing you to pay just a bit more attention.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

they're going to pull out a sketch from the philly case box, and it's going to look similar to the sketches from the chicago case.  the clencher will be that it matches the drawings of elizabeth that the dying wife has plastered all over her bedroom.

Good one, didn't think of that angle. 

I loved the car following slight of hand scene. I just love that shit and the tension that it creates. Good stuff. Henry actually had a nice save on the business going under, if he doesn't drop that bit of info Stan is for sure even more on him than he was before. 

13 hours ago, TexArcher said:

It felt a little too convenient that Stan started getting suspicious the way he did.  I expected a big bang of realization tied to the car search or something.  But maybe I'm nitpicking.

Regardless, this thing is building to a hell of a crescendo and there are several believable outcomes on the table.  Good stuff.

Agree about Stan.  We've had maybe one scene in the entire series where he's offered any type of intellectual curiosity about his neighbors.  Only now, he goes from my neighbors work weird hours, to maybe they're Soviet spies!  Seems a bit too convenient but they have to get there someway, so I guess we'll go with the ride.

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Feel like this episode was to remind the viewers that Philip has done some bad things and won't get (and doesn't deserve) a happy ending.

I felt it was not only this, but to show the loyalty he has to those he loves, specifically Elizabeth.  Her face and shock she had with Phillip willing to dismember a body and the length he would go to have her back was impressive to her.  It re-invigorated her feelings for him, IMO, after she was so angry at his unwillingness to set Kimmy up.  This was Phillip's atonement and it may very well have finally been the obvious tip Stan needed to start wondering about his friends.  

Ending???  They catch Elizabeth and Phillip in a compromising position.  Elizabeth is trying to bite off more than she can chew and sink the diplomatic meetings, maybe an assassination of some sort.  Phillip learns about this and goes to stop her.  FBI is on to her and the two after discussing their fundamental differences have to try a daring escape because they still love each other, maybe a car chase or something and they get a little separated.  Renee gets the drop on Elizabeth and stops her.  Elizabeth being Elizabeth tries to fight her way out and Renee shoots her..... Phillip following behind shoots Renee and kills him.  Stan following behind Phillip, with great pain and effort shoots Phillip killing him.  Elizabeth and Phillip die with each other..... Kids are interrogated and judged to not know anything, I mean they're just kids!

Time jump 10 years in the 90's sometime...... We see how each surviving members lives have changed.  Stan is happily married and still with the FBI.  Henry has graduated from Ivy league and works on Wall Street.  Paige married and works for a community outreach project of some sort... you know, trying to make a difference whereby she travels and ships a lot.  They're at Thanksgiving dinner at Paige's in DC.  The phone rings..... Paige answers.  The other end is Russian, they're calling on her to activate her again.  End scene.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Agree about Stan.  We've had maybe one scene in the entire series where he's offered any type of intellectual curiosity about his neighbors.  Only now, he goes from my neighbors work weird hours, to maybe they're Soviet spies!  Seems a bit too convenient but they have to get there someway, so I guess we'll go with the ride.

I felt it was not only this, but to show the loyalty he has to those he loves, specifically Elizabeth.  Her face and shock she had with Phillip willing to dismember a body and the length he would go to have her back was impressive to her.  It re-invigorated her feelings for him, IMO, after she was so angry at his unwillingness to set Kimmy up.  This was Phillip's atonement and it may very well have finally been the obvious tip Stan needed to start wondering about his friends.  

Ending???  They catch Elizabeth and Phillip in a compromising position.  Elizabeth is trying to bite off more than she can chew and sink the diplomatic meetings, maybe an assassination of some sort.  Phillip learns about this and goes to stop her.  FBI is on to her and the two after discussing their fundamental differences have to try a daring escape because they still love each other, maybe a car chase or something and they get a little separated.  Renee gets the drop on Elizabeth and stops her.  Elizabeth being Elizabeth tries to fight her way out and Renee shoots her..... Phillip following behind shoots Renee and kills him.  Stan following behind Phillip, with great pain and effort shoots Phillip killing him.  Elizabeth and Phillip die with each other..... Kids are interrogated and judged to not know anything, I mean they're just kids!

Time jump 10 years in the 90's sometime...... We see how each surviving members lives have changed.  Stan is happily married and still with the FBI.  Henry has graduated from Ivy league and works on Wall Street.  Paige married and works for a community outreach project of some sort... you know, trying to make a difference whereby she travels and ships a lot.  They're at Thanksgiving dinner at Paige's in DC.  The phone rings..... Paige answers.  The other end is Russian, they're calling on her to activate her again.  End scene.

the only thing i see wrong with this plot is renee is a deep cover long game russian plant.  when she finally makes her move it's against the russians?  the better be a better payoff than that after all this time.

8 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

the only thing i see wrong with this plot is renee is a deep cover long game russian plant.  when she finally makes her move it's against the russians?  the better be a better payoff than that after all this time.

Yea, my bad..... it was late last night when I was composing.  Not Renee, Dennis shoots Elizabeth and Phillip kills Dennis.  There will be other casualties and loose ends that must be tied up leading up to the final showdown including Renee, Claudia, and Oleg...

Edited by Patrick Bateman

All got damn Russians on this show need to die slow, painful deaths. Like the cancer lady. Especially Paige. She wants to make a difference in the world? Walk into FBI offices and rat out your B of a mother. That not an option for you, Pagey Pants? 

Great, great, great TV. Can't wait to see how it ends. 

Don't forget, last time the Russians worked with the child of their spies, they had the child murder the whole family.

Stan's woman could be working with Paige as well working to get in the bureau.

All of this season, Liz and Philip have exerted their dominance on Paige here and there while they have also began to show cracks in their effectiveness as spies.

Ultimate mindfuck, Paige murders them both with cyanide, right before ole Stan breaks down their door.

Side note, I loved the subtle slip by Elizabeth referring to their son as Philip's "department". Cold.

1 hour ago, RedDirtTexan said:

All got damn Russians on this show need to die slow, painful deaths. Like the cancer lady. Especially Paige. She wants to make a difference in the world? Walk into FBI offices and rat out your B of a mother. That not an option for you, Pagey Pants? 

Great, great, great TV. Can't wait to see how it ends. 

That is what makes this show great. It makes us have a little sympathy for the enemy. Not enough to pardon them of their crimes, just enough to see how they got to be who they were. This show has done a great job at setting that up.

Are we assuming Renee is a spy?  I know they allude to it, but it hasn't been confirmed, right?

I was wondering if Stan could have bugged their house.  Was thinking about how they used to turn on radios whenever they talked at home, but lately they don't.

3 hours ago, Horny04 said:

Are we assuming Renee is a spy?  I know they allude to it, but it hasn't been confirmed, right?

I was wondering if Stan could have bugged their house.  Was thinking about how they used to turn on radios whenever they talked at home, but lately they don't.

I think most folks believe she's a spy, because what other reason is there for her to be around?  Especially considering she wants work at the FBI.  Also, in one of the episodes Philip is asking whether she's an illegal.  And no, it hasn't been confirmed.

Though I have heard some theories tossed around that she's actually an American spy.  Stan was romantically involved with a Russian and kinda going off book a lot.  Though I think it's a stretch to suggest the Americans would ask a lady to strike up a sexual/romantic relationship with one of their own agents for years.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past the writers to just have her be a red herring.  Some lady that fell for Stan and helped him get his life back on track after the crazy shit with Nina, etc.

Edited by SpiralOut

10 hours ago, Horny04 said:

Regarding the radio thing, I think it was just to have noise so the kids didn't hear their conversations.  But once Paige jumped on board and Henry went off to boarding school, no more need for that.

7 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past the writers to just have her be a red herring.  Some lady that fell for Stan and helped him get his life back on track after the crazy shit with Nina, etc.

As clunky as they have pushed her character on the show I wouldn't doubt that either. 

Someone is going to die using the cyanide capsule. They wouldn’t keep showing it on several characters otherwise.

I think either Phillip and Liz take them together and die in each other’s arms or Liz gets shot and Phillip takes it alone.

I just wish Paige would take it so we could get rid of her ridiculous storyline altogether. That has pretty much ruined this show for me that I once liked.

You really think the Russians, or anyone, would let a whiny teenage girl suddenly become a spy, knowing all their plans and secrets after a few months of training? All the FBI would have to do is take away her Walkman and she would spill her guts during questioning.

29 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

What does she know exactly?  She has to leave the room every time something sensitive comes up.   She knows like...four people and spends most of her time on "missions" taking pictures.  

and blowing a guy she thinks might be a good contact. 

2 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Someone is going to die using the cyanide capsule. They wouldn’t keep showing it on several characters otherwise.

I think either Phillip and Liz take them together and die in each other’s arms or Liz gets shot and Phillip takes it alone.

I just wish Paige would take it so we could get rid of her ridiculous storyline altogether. That has pretty much ruined this show for me that I once liked.

You really think the Russians, or anyone, would let a whiny teenage girl suddenly become a spy, knowing all their plans and secrets after a few months of training? All the FBI would have to do is take away her Walkman and she would spill her guts during questioning.

i think there's only the one capsule.  harvest ate his, and based on phillip's reaction to liz's, it's not something he keeps around in the house.

Edited by elfenix

although Paige might wanna pay attention.  its hella more dangerous than her mother let on.  So far shes seen the general die (even if she is stupid enough to believe it was suicide), and one of her co-working spies just got killed, and the other spy also got killed.

41 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

although Paige might wanna pay attention.  its hella more dangerous than her mother let on.  So far shes seen the general die (even if she is stupid enough to believe it was suicide), and one of her co-working spies just got killed, and the other spy also got killed.

Only thing I'm sure I need to see is Elizabeth go down for the cause.  She's a zealot.  And while both her and Philip have done some horrid shit, Elizabeth takes it to 11.  And flat out lying to her own daughter about the job is just the icing on the cake.  She's working Paige just like she worked any of the other people she's turned/used on the show.  I think Paige is starting to get it, but she has no idea what the real deal is with her mom's job as a spy.  

"Wait.  Mom, you told me we didn't use sex as a tool, but I'm having to fuck a different guy every week to work them for information!  You said once in a blue moon people die in this line of work, but I've had to decapitate a guy, shoot another dude in the face, and strangle a poor lady since my last payday!  This is bullshit!" 

I almost want Liz to escape, by the skin of her teeth, back to Mother Ruskie, to see what a shithole it has become, only to starve to death in Siberia. Sure, she is a zealot but her own people have been lying to her about things back "home". About how everything she is doing is making them so much better, so much stronger.

That was a long episode.

Interesting turn - Elizabeth starting to come to her senses.  Painting scene was a good one showing her struggle of being "human" vs. being a spy - spy won.  But as the episode went on it seemed like the human side started winning.  I'm wondering if it's real or if she's going to turn back the other way in the end.  

I have a feeling there will be a Claudia-Elizabeth showdown.  

i have FINALLY caught up on this series and man i'm glad i did.  i stopped watching (not because i meant to, just because i fell behind) after like 3 or 4 episodes of season 5 and decided to go back and rewatch from the very first episode a couple of months ago, hoping to be caught up in time for the finale.  season 5 was a bit of a chore to get through, and i wasn't loving the start to season 6, but the last four episodes have been absolutely fantastic.  i've never watched a show with the sense of dread that constantly overcomes me while watching the past four episodes of this show.  i am constantly thinking that something bad is going to happen.  can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Enjoyed it. What is the thinking of the significance of Phil’s meeting his old employee? Show what loyalty means? Show that he knew about their “real” business? Show that Phil cares?

Cant just be a throwaway scene imo. 

i never understood, or quite believed, the financial difficulties angle from the get go.  the travel agency was always a front for the spy agency.  phillip may be retired but elizabeth isn't, so it's still a front for the spy agency.  why wouldnt the russian govt still be propping it up?  

14 hours ago, bamachine said:

While she showed some humanity, she is still all Team Russia, she is just switching to Team Gorb instead of Team Maintain The Norm.

Yea, but it showed that Phillip's influence finally got her to start asking some fucking questions rather than being a simple KGB instrument.  Her country is being torn apart from the inside and she finally wants to understand the pieces on the board.  She'll always be for Mother Russia, but at least she may not be a traitor to her country anymore.  Claudia has a huge choice now.... and it's interesting.  She could burn both Phillip and Elizabeth now as she feels they're not loyal to her group of hardliners.   But if she does, Murdock..... they're coming for her.  If I were her, I'd want to get the fuck out of Dodge, but we don't know who else she's handling.... if anyone.  Thinking Liz kills Claudia next episode or in the finale.

Edited by Patrick Bateman