The Americans (FX)

APMP

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

It may have been too much of a pretty little bow for a lot of people here, but some sort of jump forward postscript would've been cool. Maybe see Oleg reuniting with his family 5 years down the road or something.  

Yeah, a time jump where we see Russia a few years after the fall of Communism would have been nice but a bit cheesy. Oleg being released would have been good. Henry contacting his family via the internet and seeing Paige working at some bar under an alias would have been good too. We never got to see Phillip meet his son which bummed me out but him moving in with Phillip's brother was a nice touch. For sure we needed to see Phillip line dancing in Russia.

By the way, it's assumed Paige had to live on the run, correct?

yeah i don't think anyone knew that paige was involved.  she could claim that her parents just showed up, put her in the car and told her they were leaving.  she left as soon as she could.  

only stan could refute that (and he didn't even know how involved she was) and that would not be beneficial to him.

6 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah i don't think anyone knew that paige was involved.  she could claim that her parents just showed up, put her in the car and told her they were leaving.  she left as soon as she could.  

only stan could refute that (and he didn't even know how involved she was) and that would not be beneficial to him.

She doesn't even have to say that.  It took place over a day or so, she could give almost any excuse for being away from her flat, it's the 80's, there isn't a ton of tracking data out of there at the time.  I think the audience is supposed to infer Stan will eventually cover for her as he let them go and is complicit in their escape.  He already was going to be a surrogate father to Henry so if Paige came to him and told him she couldn't follow her parents and she wanted to be an American, he would eat her sins....

• 1 year later...

I just started Season 2.  Trying not to spoiler myself on this thread.  Has a very Breaking Bad vibe in that it feels like they are always just on the verge of getting caught.  I don't know how they are gonna stretch this into 6 seasons without some wild plot twists happening.  

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I just started Season 2.  Trying not to spoiler myself on this thread.  Has a very Breaking Bad vibe in that it feels like they are always just on the verge of getting caught.  I don't know how they are gonna stretch this into 6 seasons without some wild plot twists happening.  

no spoiler but they basically neuter Stan for a while.

This was one fine series.  You felt as if you were back living in the 80's start to finish.  At first, John Boy seemed miscast as the FBI boss but I got used to him.  That bird like secretary who was seduced by the American male half gave me the creeps she was so needy and easily turned.

I wonder how many 2020 "Americans" are preparing to hack, sabotage, and otherwise fuck with the U.S. elections on November 3rd. 

BTW, 23-year old Paige actress looks just fine and dandy to me.  Nubile and agile.

43 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

My wife and I finally watched the first episode recently.

Neither of us seem to like the lead actor Mathew Rhys for some reason. Not sure why either.

I know this is supposed to be a great show so will give it a chance.

Just not a fan of him at all.

IMO, its one of the best first episodes of a series ever.  If you aren't all in after Episode 1, it may not be for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Neither of us seem to like the lead actor Mathew Rhys for some reason. Not sure why either.

definitely stick with it.  Rhys will grow on you.  he's really good.  

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

I watched it all the way through during its initial run,  but I often watched it in the background while doing other things,  at least earlier on in its run. This thread popping up makes me want to go back and watch again with a more focused eye.  Plus I remember some hall of fame level TV show tits popping up in that 1at season which are always a good reason to give a show rewatch.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

21 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Stick with it. They're not supposed to be likable characters, but they grow on you. Never heard of Rhys before this series and became a huge fan. His character is extremely complex.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was weird because my wife and I watched the first episode in silence and we both did not like him afterwards. First time we agreed on anything in years..Ha !

I am more than willing to watch it however. I also want to watch Perry Mason at some point as well.

I have heard nothing but good things about both of these shows, plus he won an Emmy for The Americans.

On 7/22/2020 at 1:10 PM, RPM said:

Pretty much. The daughter gets to be a drag.

The Paige character is very annoying even down to the way she walks with her shoulders and arms drawn into her body like she's cold but has no coat and is trynig to stay warm.

6 hours ago, RPM said:

Stick with it. They're not supposed to be likable characters, but they grow on you. Never heard of Rhys before this series and became a huge fan. His character is extremely complex.

This is one of the reasons why I didn't love the way that the series ended.  Russell was always portrayed as the more serious, violent, anything-for-the-mission character, but Rhys' bubbling-below-the-surface anger was palpable.  He was the truly dangerous one.  That was one pissed off, disillusioned dude--played brilliantly by Rhys--that spent 5 seasons brooding.  I expected that slow-burning candle to explode at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it last night.  Enjoyed it but have one lingering question. How in the world did nobody ever tell a sketch artist that she has a big mole dead center of her upper lip? No disguise is ever going to hide that. It would be the first thing I notice about her. 

On 7/23/2020 at 11:28 AM, irishtexan said:

This is a top-5 all time show for me. The whole thing was fucking incredible.

I'm enjoying Matthew Rhys in Perry Mason as well. 

It's taken me a couple episodes to get used to seeing Matthew Rhys in a different role.   We binged watched The Americans a couple of months ago and I still got him burned in my mind as the character he played in that series.   He's underrated for sure, IMO.

7 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Finished it last night.  Enjoyed it but have one lingering question. How in the world did nobody ever tell a sketch artist that she has a big mole dead center of her upper lip? No disguise is ever going to hide that. It would be the first thing I notice about her. 

yep.  bugged me too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished the series.  Even with the loose ends it was a great series.  So many times I wanted Elizabeth to die a horrible death even if she has a perfect ass.  Rather than ending it during the DC summit, I wanted them to deal more with the post Cold War break up of the Soviet Union.  With a different actress, they should make a sequel with Paige continuing the parent's tradition as an illegal operating in the DC area post summit and continuing into the early 90's.  She would have extensive plastic surgery so no one can recognize her.  She would be a kinder and gentler version of her mother as she pursues her social justice agenda.

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, HouTex said:

Just finished the series.  Even with the loose ends it was a great series.  So many times I wanted Elizabeth to die a horrible death even if she has a perfect ass.  Rather than ending it during the DC summit, I wanted them to deal more with the post Cold War break up of the Soviet Union.  With a different actress, they should make a sequel with Paige continuing the parent's tradition as an illegal operating in the DC area post summit and continuing into the early 90's.  She would have extensive plastic surgery so no one can recognize her.  She would be a kinder and gentler version of her mother as she pursues her social justice agenda.

I'm in provided there are continued gratuitous ass shots.  

I watched the entire series and thought it was pretty good but not great. Three things always bothered me. The disguises they wore were so bad and cheesy they wouldn’t fool anyone in real life.

The daughter is in the running as the most annoying character ever along with AJ in the Sopranos and Walter White Jr in Breaking Bad.

I realize you have to suspend some reality when watching these shows but I hate when they have hot chicks who weigh 100 lbs kicking 200 lb guys ass using super karate. It just doesn’t happen, not in the real world or in the spy world. In reality they use their brains and feminine wiles and perhaps poison or a gun, not super karate.

You think she's gonna keep that ass that toned by using her brains and poison?  Dah Fuh? 

An ass that cherry at age 45 requires the training that only super karate can provide.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:33 AM, NorthLoop said:

Yeah everyone always hates teenage characters in shows for being whiny annoying cunts... but that's pretty much what teenagers are. 

Harry Potter in book 5. Really unlikeable. Whiney cunt. Aka every 15 year old ever. I know- I taught sophomores in high school.