The Americans (FX)

APMP

42 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

"Don't Dream It's Over" montage was one of the greatest openings of a TV season ever. Also, I've been drinking, but I think I'll still have the same opinion in the morning,

It’s not the liquor. This series has always used pop music of the 80s almost as another character, helping to tell the story. But that opening sequence was absolutely masterful. Ditto the Peter Gabriel in Mexico City  

No doubt Stan’s banging a KGB plant... The Arkady / Oleg interactions were always solid; I was glad to have another. The tension of that last scene... wow. Great episode. Great television. 

Great episode.  Liz had me convinced that it really was no big deal that the guy took Paige's fake id then bam, the Liz I know and love stabbed him in the neck.

Credit to hair and makeup for making Liz look so rough and it was good that Phillip called it out.

It was a good setup, it will be fun to see where it goes.

Also, wtf to Phillip out by himself line dancing.  

7 hours ago, WBT said:

Also, wtf to Phillip out by himself line dancing.  

He was there with work people from the travel agency. The husband that was reluctant to dance works for Phillip. 

Scene’s purpose was to further demonstrate his continued integration into the culture. Just living the dream and happy while Elizabeth is miserable. 

• Like 1

Fantastic first episode!  I love the setup for the final season.  And as mentioned, the music was on point.  I especially liked the Fleetwood Mac.

The old USSR is dying, and Elizabeth is going to go down with it.  Philip will turn with Stan's help and be the All-American dad to his hockey-player son.  Does Paige end up in the USSR?

2 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Fantastic first episode!  I love the setup for the final season.  And as mentioned, the music was on point.  I especially liked the Fleetwood Mac.

The old USSR is dying, and Elizabeth is going to go down with it.  Philip will turn with Stan's help and be the All-American dad to his hockey-player son.  Does Paige end up in the USSR?

Paige needs to end up dead.   Elizabeth needs to see what she's done by bringing Paige in.  Then Elizabeth needs to die leaving Phillip there to pick up the pieces and have to move back to Russia with Henry.  To show Phillip there will be no happy endings and intigrating into America.  

45 minutes ago, sidis said:

He was there with work people from the travel agency. The husband that was reluctant to dance works for Phillip. 

Scene’s purpose was to further demonstrate his continued integration into the culture. Just living the dream and happy while Elizabeth is miserable. 

As was the removalable stereo, car phone, sun roof, son in private school kicking ass at hockey with the groupies cheering him on (I will let the horrible game action slide), all the while his wife is a chimney who isn't sleeping and his daughter is waist deep in spy shit. 

Just an unreal episode, everything was perfect and the 3 year jump didn't fuck the show up like it tends to do others with less quality writers. I still do not understand why this show doesn't get more fucking awards and press it is hands down one of if not the best show on network or cable tv.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

As was the removalable stereo, car phone, sun roof, son in private school kicking ass at hockey with the groupies cheering him on (I will let the horrible game action slide), all the while his wife is a chimney who isn't sleeping and his daughter is waist deep in spy shit. 

Just an unreal episode, everything was perfect and the 3 year jump didn't fuck the show up like it tends to do others with less quality writers. I still do not understand why this show doesn't get more fucking awards and press it is hands down one of if not the best show on network or cable tv.   

Yep. yep and yep.

12 hours ago, BNB said:

Great first episode. Do we think phillip has no idea what Paige is up to?

I’m sure he knows, which has caused an even greater rift in the marriage. Seems like the only way the Center would allow Phillip to “quit” and stay in the US would be because Paige has joined the game. And he would have to know that. 

Phil is going to eat the cyanide and that will somehow allow Elizabeth to escape back to Moscow. Paige dies or gets caught somehow. Who cares about the son. Elizabeth back in a fallen Soviet Union wondering WTF happened and was it all worth it? Arkady bangs her over his desk. END SCENE. 

Edited by RedDirtTexan

Great episode, esp. coming off last season which was really slow.  I figured it was there just to set up this final season.  Potentially putting Phillip and Elizabeth against each other is a bold move.  I loved the use of the songs as well, esp. the Gabriel.

Elizabeth doesn't really have a purpose (speaking in terms of her being a real person not a TV character) if there's no cause to fight for. Knowing how this ends historically I don't see her surviving to the end.

I could see a scenario in which she dies and Phillip ends up back in Russia because that would seem to be a worse fate for him now than death since he's happy in America right now.

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Elizabeth doesn't really have a purpose (speaking in terms of her being a real person not a TV character) if there's no cause to fight for. Knowing how this ends historically I don't see her surviving to the end.

I could see a scenario in which she dies and Phillip ends up back in Russia because that would seem to be a worse fate for him now than death since he's happy in America right now.

That makes sense.

Or I could see Paige dying, and Elizabeth surviving but is forced to live in the US without anything to fight for. Just raising her completely American son in a capitalist society. 

Phillip having to go back to Russia would suck. 

fQJQrJo.gif

Just caught up... This season is going to be hell on wheels

Who is Stan's girl spying for? It's either the Americans or "THE AMERICAN'S".

I also agree that Oleg will blow Phillips cover with Stan, and that will start the truly epic shitstorm

Agent Paige is still annoying. Elizabeth is the ultimate agent, but trying to be momma bear at the same time with Paige is going to get her compromised. 

On 4/1/2018 at 2:34 PM, G650 said:

I'm only watching this show anymore in the hopes that Paige and Elizabeth get brutally killed.

Yep would be interesting to see if they pull that trigger. 

Im still a bit at a loss as to why Paige would go all in on being a Russian spy. Last season I got because she was just protecting her family. But she wasn’t hust born in America, she was raised as an American with no idea what her parents were doing. 

Hard to see a girl like that all of a sudden deciding that she loves Russia more than America. Or at least thinking it’s okay to turn her back on her country and actively spy against it.  It’s not like she has any idea what Russia is like, and if her parents were honest they’d tell her what a shit hole it was compared to America, even if they were loyal to it. 

Edited by Drew

11 hours ago, Drew said:

Yep would be interesting to see if they pull that trigger. 

Im still a bit at a loss as to why Paige would go all in on being a Russian spy. Last season I got because she was just protecting her family. But she wasn’t hust born in America, she was raised as an American with no idea what her parents were doing. 

Hard to see a girl like that all of a sudden deciding that she loves Russia more than America. Or at least thinking it’s okay to turn her back on her country and actively spy against it.  It’s not like she has any idea what Russia is like, and if her parents were honest they’d tell her what a shit hole it was compared to America, even if they were loyal to it. 

Because Paige has been searching since the show started.  She's a cynical believer if you will.  She wanted to find her place in the world, in society, and is predisposed to believe in movements -- her religious search was informing the audience of this.  Being of something larger than her by her parents, she has come to believe this is her place and her purpose and she is happier believing the lie.  The most tragic arc for Paige would be to lose her foundation (her parents) and get shipped or escape back to Russia, to find it's nothing like she's been led to believe.  She's also into gender equality and fairness, and she'll lose her shit to find how Eastern European misogyny is ingrained into society.  The US wasn't exactly gender equal during the 80's either, but it's going to seem like a Utopia to Russia at the time..... 

Henry would be something much different and I would imagine he would react the way you expect from Paige.  He's much more "Americanized" than the rest of the family.  I actually hope he becomes aware this season to see him tear away from the rest of the family..... 

• Like 3

My close captioning picked up the following from the baseball game on the radio: "75 rbis, .249 average, Braves lead 4-3, Murphy homer top of 5th, Gary winds and delivers, Home run for Chili Davis, Giants tie the game"

Looks like it was the last game of the year in 1987, Braves at Giants.  Dale Murphy homered in the top of the 6th, Chili Davis homered off of Chuck Cary (not Gary) in the bottom of the 6th.  After the solo homer, Chili Davis finished with a .250 average and 76 rbis.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN198710040.shtml

I'm not sure why a Braves at Giants game would have been on the radio in DC.  I wonder where they got the recording.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, WBT said:

My close captioning picked up the following from the baseball game on the radio: "75 rbis, .249 average, Braves lead 4-3, Murphy homer top of 5th, Gary winds and delivers, Home run for Chili Davis, Giants tie the game"

Looks like it was the last game of the year in 1987, Braves at Giants.  Dale Murphy homered in the top of the 6th, Chili Davis homered off of Chuck Cary (not Gary) in the bottom of the 6th.  After the solo homer, Chili Davis finished with a .250 average and 76 rbis.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SFN/SFN198710040.shtml

I'm not sure why a Braves at Giants game would have been on the radio in DC.  I wonder where they got the recording.

Nerd alert

interesting that Elizabeth lied to Philip about the nature of Paige's mistake with the naval security officer, but acknowledges to him that Paige doesn't catch on as quickly as Elizabeth did.  So she wasn't entirely trying to hide her concern about Paige from him.  But then in the final scene, Paige is a disaster: obviously fiddling with the rearview and side mirrors, running to Elizabeth, calling her mom.  Elizabeth has to know that Paige isn't ready yet, but is she too blinded by the cause to do anything about it?  

22 minutes ago, AggieFactFinder said:

interesting that Elizabeth lied to Philip about the nature of Paige's mistake with the naval security officer, but acknowledges to him that Paige doesn't catch on as quickly as Elizabeth did.  So she wasn't entirely trying to hide her concern about Paige from him.  But then in the final scene, Paige is a disaster: obviously fiddling with the rearview and side mirrors, running to Elizabeth, calling her mom.  Elizabeth has to know that Paige isn't ready yet, but is she too blinded by the cause to do anything about it?  

She also lied to Paige about screwing contacts as part of the job and she's apparently going to let Paige think that the dude killed himself.

You have to wonder if Philip is going to step in at some point.

Edited by TrashMaster G