The Americans (FX)

APMP

38 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I saw ratings for the finale were a .2 and around 900K viewers. I am sure they will go up with DVR viewers but how in the hell is that possible? 

I would guess because it's on FX and I don't think the show itself was ever rated very highly? I'm not sure how they calculate that shit because I don't think I know a single person that actually watches a show on cable at the time that it airs.

41 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I saw ratings for the finale were a .2 and around 900K viewers. I am sure they will go up with DVR viewers but how in the hell is that possible? 

It's truly one of the most underrated shows I've ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

I would guess because it's on FX and I don't think the show itself was ever rated very highly? I'm not sure how they calculate that shit because I don't think I know a single person that actually watches a show on cable at the time that it airs.

Agree anymore, but when it first started (which in the TV world is a lifetime ago) it was getting close to a 1.0 rating and was a top 10 cable show for the night it aired. 

Also a little clarification the .2 is in the 18-49 demo the 922K viewers is total. 

Here are the cable top 25 from the night of the finale-

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/wednesday-cable-ratings-may-30-2018/

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Definitely don't know how this show flew so far under the radar.  After thinking about it now that it's finished, it's probably #4 on my list (after The Wire, Breaking Bad and Sopranos).   

Guess I need to finally make myself start the wire. Shield and mad men, too. Summer hiatus is probably a good time. 

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Definitely don't know how this show flew so far under the radar.  After thinking about it now that it's finished, it's probably #4 on my list (after The Wire, Breaking Bad and Sopranos).   

I would probably put it one notch lower, behind Justified. That is just for the drama shows.

Cheers is my number one TV show of all time.

Edited by bamachine

My only problem with the finale was the very ending.

I would have ended it with Phil and Liz in their car alone right after crossing the border into Russia, not knowing what the future holds.

Or the two of them standing in the middle of their bleak one room apartment, knowing that this is what they are stuck with.

15 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Man it’s not even in my top 30

I don't even know if I can name 30 series I watched from start to finish.   Way too many fall into the category like Sons of Anarchy mentioned above where it started out solid then went to shit and I gave up.  One of the great things about this series was they ended it at the right time. And to be clear, when I say top 4, I'm talking about dramas, not shows like Seinfeld, etc.. 

I don't even know if I can name 30 series I watched from start to finish.   Way too many fall into the category like Sons of Anarchy mentioned above where it started out solid then went to shit and I gave up.  One of the great things about this series was they ended it at the right time. And to be clear, when I say top 4, I'm talking about dramas, not shows like Seinfeld, etc.. 

I was going to ask if you meant a certain genre. It doesn’t compare to series like like Game is Thrones, Rome, Sopranos etc. I watched all the seasons so it didn’t suck but I say it’s a mid level type series. I put it neck and neck with Homeland at about a B minus level

See Homeland I almost put into the Sons of Anarchy category.  I'm hanging on but barely.   It was awesome for a season or so then started jumping the shark.  Rome was awesome but cut way too short which drops it down for me.  Agree GOT will likely edge Americans out but can't really call it until it's done.  

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

rescue me, archer, nip/tuck, oj/versace, damages, atlanta, louie, fargo, always sunny, better things.  fx knows what they're doing. 

I think FX is behind only netflix in terms of the volume of quality content its distributing, and has the best batting average of any distributor out there. And that includes HBO.

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

fx definitely has 3 top notch dramas to be extremely proud of in the shield, justified and the americans.  

sons of anarchy turned to shit the 2nd half of the series. 

Don't sleep on The Bridge. That show was awesome and deserved more than two seasons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

rescue me, archer, nip/tuck, oj/versace, damages, atlanta, louie, fargo, always sunny, better things.  fx knows what they're doing. 

completely forgot damages was on FX.  first season of that was some of the best tv i've ever seen. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:36 PM, Skipper said:

It's pretty hard to watch shows that are totally absorbed into their story arcs because you cannot just drop by and watch an ep, you have to know everything that is going on. 

• 2 weeks later...

I fell behind back in season 5. Over the last few weeks, finally watched it all, ending with the last 2 episodes last night.

I think seasons 5-6 were a little slow, but the payoff was definitely worth it. I liked the way the finale ended. Philip and Elizabeth were together but torn away from their children and every other part of their lives they had been building for ~20 years. Oleg in prison, I would assume he finally gets out, but we will never know. Renee's status is up in the air, and I actually like that they hinted at her being KGB but never told us for sure. Stan is completely broken. I assume Paige and Henry make it okay, other than the trauma of abruptly losing both parents.

The entire series I had been waiting for Stan to discover them and have a stand off with Philip. That scene in the garage was incredible. Stan had them at gunpoint and Philip talked him out of it, then dropped the Renee bomb on him. Maybe one of the most tense scenes I can remember in television. The train scene was equally incredible.

My only questions is this... Philip and Elizabeth knew from Stan that the dead drop for Oleg was intercepted. That means their critical information regarding Gorbachev never made it home, which means The Center probably remained in control. Claudia could've reported everything, making them traitors and likely deserving of execution back home. It seemed awfully risky to return there, not knowing who was in charge or how they would be received. Obviously they hooked up with Arkady who worked to protect them, but it seems like their safer play would've been to disappear in another country somewhere. I guess Russia is all they knew and having Arkady's help was better than going somewhere else completely alone?

Edited by wild_turkey

I'm still confused how Arkady played both sides and still ended up high up enough/trusted enough to be the one they came in with.   Kinda cool though to look back and see how they avoided each other in D.C. even though they probably knew who one another were.  I dunno.  Layers man, layers.

• 1 month later...

I just finished watching the series this weekend after starting it at the beginning of the summer. I'm glad I didn't know anything about this show so I was able to binge the show over a couple of months. Great show from beginning to end.

Loved Philip, he was a very relatable character. I really wanted things to work out for him in the end but knew there would be no happy ending. His last conversation with Henry killed me, I have a son the same age and couldn't imagine making that phone call.

Honorable mention characters: Oleg, Arkady, Gabriel and Stan.

Elizabeth was a fanatic and like all fanatics are unlikable. Still would rail her cute little ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

To me, this will be the scene I take away from the show.....

Holly Taylor explains Paige gets off the train because she can't trust her parents, she's been lied to for almost her entire life, she'd rather have the comfort of a culture she understands then rely on her parents anymore.  Makes a lot of sense.

Finally, a little silliness..... Rhys' accent is so classically British and he's extremely witty.  So different sounding than Phillip....

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 11:13 AM, Lobo said:

I'm still confused how Arkady played both sides and still ended up high up enough/trusted enough to be the one they came in with.   Kinda cool though to look back and see how they avoided each other in D.C. even though they probably knew who one another were.  I dunno.  Layers man, layers.

He wasn't playing both sides.  His side won the power struggle.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Bobby Light said:

I have been watching but Season 5 is a serious struggle for me to get through. I hope the final season kicks it up.

While not perfect the final season wrapped up the series. Not everything went down the way I had hoped but the ending for the characters felt believable and the build up the last few episodes was really well done. 

• 4 months later...

Finally caught up to the finale. I thought it was good, but the last few episodes everything felt way too sped up. I guess that could be a symptom of the writers being forced to end the series earlier than they wanted (assuming that was the case - I haven't read enough to know). I was always hoping that we'd get to see the fall of the USSR happen on the show and have it coincide with the ending, but it was clear halfway through the final season that we weren't gonna get that. 

It may have been too much of a pretty little bow for a lot of people here, but some sort of jump forward postscript would've been cool. Maybe see Oleg reuniting with his family 5 years down the road or something.