The Americans (FX)

APMP

• 4 weeks later...

Incredible final season. One thing the writers missed on was leaving Henry should have had them reference and discuss the Russian kid that they drove to almost suicide in season 4 and not wanting Henry to suffer the same depression and loneliness in Russia. 

Also, I wish they would have shown a quick future montage of Oleg getting released, Paige getting on a plane to Argentina, and like someone else said Henry getting a call from Russia.

• 5 months later...
27 minutes ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Seriously ... @Gil Bang never had a rage fuck?

Speaking of ... The Americans is screaming for a sequel / follow-up movie. I want to see how they fared through Peristroika and how the kids ended up.

Seriously no show is set up better for an epilogue movie than this one. The problem is that it wasn't popular enough to get a producer to greenlight it. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Hook 'Em 2

i think the biggest surprise of this show has been Richard Thomas lol. one, i'm not sure i've seen him in anything since The Waltons other than a L&O cameo here and there, and the original IT.

he's a surprisingly good actor, i would have expected a lot of cheesiness from him. he's playing his role well. also he must have found the fountain of youth bc he looks incredible for 60+

i'm finishing up S2, really enjoying it. 

there's sure a lot of sex in spying lol 😛

On 3/25/2021 at 7:27 AM, Mileslong said:

I watched the entire series and thought it was pretty good but not great. Three things always bothered me. The disguises they wore were so bad and cheesy they wouldn’t fool anyone in real life.

The daughter is in the running as the most annoying character ever along with AJ in the Sopranos and Walter White Jr in Breaking Bad.

I realize you have to suspend some reality when watching these shows but I hate when they have hot chicks who weigh 100 lbs kicking 200 lb guys ass using super karate. It just doesn’t happen, not in the real world or in the spy world. In reality they use their brains and feminine wiles and perhaps poison or a gun, not super karate.

long time to reply, but I remember reading that the show creator was former CIA and this article gives credence to some of the disguises.  Also gives them lots of props for doing the spycraft justice, unlike many other spy shows.  Its one of the things that I really loved about this show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/05/17/i-was-chief-of-disguise-at-cia-the-americans-got-a-lot-right/

12 hours ago, Pablo said:

long time to reply, but I remember reading that the show creator was former CIA and this article gives credence to some of the disguises.  Also gives them lots of props for doing the spycraft justice, unlike many other spy shows.  Its one of the things that I really loved about this show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2018/05/17/i-was-chief-of-disguise-at-cia-the-americans-got-a-lot-right/

Thanks for posting. That was a great article. I obviously have no expertise, but it seemed pretty realistic to me as I was watching it. As the author pointed out, I always assumed the average "operations officer" lacked the unlimited budget or toys that James Bond has, especially those living in deep cover outside of home country. If you're in deep, the first thing that would blow your cover is some amazing tools or toys. On the disguises, we'd probably be surprised at how well a fake mustache or wig works if the target is not expecting to be spied on. Most of us day-to-day are not looking over our shoulder, and in the 80s we did not have the omni-present 4D cameras on every porch and storefront.

The thing that still blows me away is why anyone would want to leave a great life in America and return to the Soviet Union. I would assume even 15 years of propaganda would wear off after spending 20 years in another country. I guess I'm too much of a materialistic American, but I would have at best disappeared and started a clean, new life - probably relatively easy in the 80s - and at worse defected and had Uncle Sam hook me up. I thought it was cool how it was Keri Russell who wanted to leave and Matthew Rhys who wanted to stay.

i'm starting S4 now...man they are killing machines, i've lost count! but somehow i feel for Philip, whether he has to be creepy pedo with a 15 year old or hurt Martha or kill yet another person who was just at the wrong place/time. you can see a little part of him dying every time. great acting.

Paige is annoying af but i guess she had a right to be. the relationship with Pastor Tim is weird and borderline inappropriate...but i was thinking this show is set decades before the whole church scandal, so maybe that's my judgement in retrospect. but still...creepy.

• 2 weeks later...

finished last night...ending was incredible. the last 30 minutes was just one 'holy shit' moment after another. the train scene was masterful and packed a huge punch.

they just left a trail of destroyed souls behind them, both literally (wonder what the final body count for each of them was) and figuratively. 

i thought Philip quitting The Work and then gradually realizing The American Dream is difficult and often a mirage was a fantastic subplot. he really tried.

they did a great job in the final season showing how much The Work weighed on Elizabeth physically - she looked grimy and exhausted, much different from the first seasons where she was so radiant with her Vidal Sassoon hair lol.

Martha, Oleg, Nina, Stan...lots of tragic lives. Oleg's dad meeting with Arkady really got me in the feels..."what do i tell his mother?"

consistently great show with very few 'down' points even at six seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, mchookem said:

finished last night...ending was incredible. the last 30 minutes was just one 'holy shit' moment after another. the train scene was masterful and packed a huge punch.

they just left a trail of destroyed souls behind them, both literally (wonder what the final body count for each of them was) and figuratively. 

i thought Philip quitting The Work and then gradually realizing The American Dream is difficult and often a mirage was a fantastic subplot. he really tried.

they did a great job in the final season showing how much The Work weighed on Elizabeth physically - she looked grimy and exhausted, much different from the first seasons where she was so radiant with her Vidal Sassoon hair lol.

Martha, Oleg, Nina, Stan...lots of tragic lives. Oleg's dad meeting with Arkady really got me in the feels..."what do i tell his mother?"

consistently great show with very few 'down' points even at six seasons. 

It did a great job of showing how the Cold War played out in the trenches. At the end, I was not really cheering for anyone. Your post reminds me time for a re-watch ... I have a genetic defect where I cannot remember TV shows or movies LOL. Just reminds me again of how it's begging for a sequel.

24 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Been a while so I've forgotten, but did they ever verify if Stan's girlfriend was a spy or not?

they did not but they definitely left it open-ended.

the soviet collapse was just a couple years later, right...so they would certainly be alive and living in Russia. but the timing...as many people as they killed/lives they destroyed, i could see that weighing super heavy on them especially Elizabeth. i mean it was already weighing heavy on Philip...but she was so 'all in' on the entire party, to realize not only was it insincere and more about power grabs (getting rid of Gorbachev subplot) but that she had enthusiastically and without question murdered so many people for a cause that just collapsed? wow. that's enough to drive someone to suicide. talk about having a darkness on your soul...yikes.

oh, one thing i really liked and thought they did really well was incorporating other NON Russian accomplices throughout on various assignments...Venezuelan, South African, Nigerian, Vietnamese, etc...even Gregory in the US. it was a subtle but very effective way of showing the worldwide scale of the cold war while still focusing 'in the trenches'.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

pretty much 😄

image.png.8b2db4effcc0199e0677ed3f6987ef4b.png

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Keri Russell a lot less attractive in real life. 

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/texas-news/hawaii-couple-accused-of-living-under-assumed-names-of-dead-texas-babies/3032587/

Hawaii Couple Accused of Living Under Assumed Names of Dead Texas Babies

One of the children whose identity was used by the couple was born in Dallas in 1967

By Hannah Jones  Published July 27, 2022 Updated on July 27, 2022 at 5:44 pm

Federal investigators are asking that two people living in Hawaii under the assumed names of dead Texas children be held without bail.

According to government documents, Walter Glenn Primrose and Gwynn Darle Morrison were arrested Friday morning.

Government records allege the couple used the identities of babies from Texas who died in the late 1960s to obtain Social Security cards, passports, and driver’s licenses. 

Bobby Edward Fort, the baby investigators allege was used by Primrose, was born in Dallas, government records indicate. He was born in 1967 and died during that same year. Julie Lyn Montague, the child investigators allege was used by Morrison, was born in 1968 in Burnet, Texas, outside of Austin. She also died shortly thereafter and is buried in Marble Falls. 

Stay informed during the severe weather season with our local news and weatherapp. Download NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth for Apple or Android and pick your alerts. 

Citing government records, federal investigators allege that in the late 1980s Primrose and Morrison were issued driver's licenses and identification cards with the identities of Fort and Montague. 

Government documents also allege that Primrose fraudulently enlisted in the Coast Guard in 1994 under Fort's name and remained there until his retirement in 2016. After retirement, investigators said he used that experience to gain employment with a Department of Defense contractor. 

hawaii-russian-spies.jpg?quality=85&stri
none
U.S. State Departmentnone
Walter Glenn Primrose, also known as Bobby Edward Fort, and Gwynn Darle Morrison, also known as Julie Lyn Montague, were arrested on Friday morning.

In a Motion to Detain Defendants Without Bail, federal investigators said Primrose and Morrison are a flight risk. They added that Primrose held a secret clearance and was a highly skilled avionics electrical technician who "would be able to communicate surreptitiously with others if released from pretrial confinement." Investigators also said it is believed that the couple had additional aliases, that Primrose did not report all of his international travel and that a close friend of Morrison's told federal agents that she lived in Romania while it was within the Communist Bloc. 

Pictures in court records entered as evidence to support the Motion to Detain showed Primrose and Morrison in uniforms that allegedly belonged to the KGB, the former Soviet Union spy agency.

Hawaii News Now, the NBC affiliate in Honolulu, cited an unnamed state department official claiming the couple was actually Russian spies, though those allegations are not listed among the current charges filed by the U.S. Attorney.

Both Primrose and Morrison have been charged with aggravated identity theft, lying on passport applications, and conspiracy to commit crimes against the United States, the latter dealing with conspiring with each other to make false or fictitious statements and representations within the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense.

A hearing on the Motion to Detain is expected to be held Thursday.