Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

On 2/18/2019 at 10:39 AM, luke duke said:

You get much better gifts from your in-laws than I do.
1st set of in-laws - Klose pit
2nd set of in-laws - Sous vide setup
The bar is set pretty high for the 3rd set.

In reality, the Klose came from my parents -- but point taken. There will *not* be a 3rd set! LULZ

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mothers Day sous vide.

Bone in pork rib roast, seasoned with salt pepper thyme and garlic

138 degrees for about 9 hours. 

Pat dry, give quick pass with searzall to dry further, into oven @525 for a few minutes to brown.  Finish with further spot searing as needed.

Dripping from bag reduced with some butter salt and pepper and drizzled over.

Was great, moist and delicious. would do it at 135 next time. 

IMG-8011.jpg

IMG-8016.jpg

IMG-8031.jpg

IMG-8037.jpg

IMG-8043.jpg

• Like 1

Mothers Day sous vide.
Bone in pork rib roast, seasoned with salt pepper thyme and garlic
138 degrees for about 9 hours. 
Pat dry, give quick pass with searzall to dry further, into oven @525 for a few minutes to brown.  Finish with further spot searing as needed.
Dripping from bag reduced with some butter salt and pepper and drizzled over.
Was great, moist and delicious. would do it at 135 next time. 

IMG-8011.jpg
IMG-8016.jpg
IMG-8031.jpg
IMG-8037.jpg
IMG-8043.jpg

Looks good. Thought I read you shouldn’t sous vide with raw garlic in the bag for some reason. Maybe it depends on the temp??

“So if you are including raw garlic in your sous vide bag you should be adding it like you would normally use raw garlic to finish a dish. It'll have a sharp, pungent flavor and not the usual cooked garlic flavor.”

It’s a flavor thing.

• 1 month later...

So a while back I ordered a case of lamb ribs.  Tried the first couple out by throwing them on the smoker, and they just didn't turn out right. Too dry and stringy.  Never had this same problem with lamb breast. Figured that they need a moist cooking method to loosen up.  

Sous Vide @ 160 for ~24h. Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder seasoning before they went into the bag.

Finished on smoker for a couple hours to get some smoke and color. Basted with lemon juice, olive oil, onions, cider vinegar mop sauce. Finished with squeeze of fresh lemon.

The rest of the case is going to get this treatment.

D4-B45-C31-CEC1-42-E0-8-ECC-8869827-EB37

D78-B23-D9-1-D8-A-4993-AA49-2-CCA1-B3353

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, luke duke said:

160?

Yeah. The internet convinced me that collagen and connective tissues need the higher temp to break down fully.  I think that shanks benefit from higher temps too, 145-150+ range.

If we were talking a chop or rack, I'd go  130 or even a couple degrees lower. Like below double cut. 

B6-C76-E37-DCFC-4610-AC5-C-18-D5-F9-D55-

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to make the jump.  Which one should I get?  I have been told I want the extra power of 1100 watts.  I also want to be able to use it in a regular pot and some sort of custom cooler container/cooler setup for bigger stuff that I will make.

I have a Joule and it works great. It's got a magnet on the bottom that will stick to a stainless pot. I've used it to do one hour cooking and 7 hours. I've not tried it in a big ice chest / cooler, but I think it would work. 

58 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I have a Joule and it works great. It's got a magnet on the bottom that will stick to a stainless pot. I've used it to do one hour cooking and 7 hours. I've not tried it in a big ice chest / cooler, but I think it would work. 

Is the clip on the Joule removable? 

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

Is the clip on the Joule removable?  

i have never tried to...not sure why you would.  it is ideal to have for sticking into a deeper containers.  honestly, the rubbermaid 12 qt with the joule-unique cover is an ideal rig.  or the anova.  you really can't go wrong between the two.

i have never tried to...not sure why you would.  it is ideal to have for sticking into a deeper containers.  honestly, the rubbermaid 12 qt with the joule-unique cover is an ideal rig.  or the anova.  you really can't go wrong between the two.
I looked on Amazon and their site and it was hard the even confirm the existence of the clip. None of the pictures had it in it.

2 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
3 hours ago, sidis said:

I looked on Amazon and their site and it was hard the even confirm the existence of the clip. None of the pictures had it in it.

clip is definitely there...no doubt about it.

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

It's got a magnet on the bottom that will stick to a stainless pot.

Note this depends on the specific stainless of the pot, not on the magnet. Some grades of stainless are magnetic, other grades are not.

The Anova can be used in a cambro container and in pots. I think the Joule is probably a better device but it costs a bit more.

Read somewhere back when I first got my machine that it was better to cook in things other than metal pots, i.e. the cambros or something similar.

The Anova can be used in a cambro container and in pots. I think the Joule is probably a better device but it costs a bit more.

Read somewhere back when I first got my machine that it was better to cook in things other than metal pots, i.e. the cambros or something similar.

Metal pot takes more energy to heat and loses more to the environment.

I've read that the joule is more accurate than the anova. Next cook I'll check the water temp with my thermapen to see where it is relative to my anova.

• 1 month later...

Picked up some beef short ribs from HEB already vacuum packed.  Has anyone tried SV ribs “as-is” (without opening, seasoning and then repackaging)? The plan is to go 36 hours but I hate pulling out the vacuum sealer if I can avoid it because mine is a pain to always get a good seal.seal.  I know the effort of adding seasoning before sealing should be worth it but has anyone tried to SV without seasoning the meat before cooking?

On 8/10/2019 at 11:10 AM, Grimas said:

Picked up some beef short ribs from HEB already vacuum packed.  Has anyone tried SV ribs “as-is” (without opening, seasoning and then repackaging)? The plan is to go 36 hours but I hate pulling out the vacuum sealer if I can avoid it because mine is a pain to always get a good seal.seal.  I know the effort of adding seasoning before sealing should be worth it but has anyone tried to SV without seasoning the meat before cooking?

best bet is to go to one of the large SV facebook groups and ask there - much higher chance someone has either tried before just due to group size. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, NoName said:

best bet is to go to one of the large SV facebook groups and ask there - much higher chance someone has either tried before just due to group size. 

Thanks for the advice... I ended up cutting into 2 rib portions, added a Demi glacé/trinity mix to each bag and cooked for 48 hours at 167 and served over polenta.  Wife complained it was “too rich” but kids and I sucked the beef down... Happy dog got a bone as well...

Edited by Grimas
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, elfenix said:

do y'all put your food in and then let water come to temp, or heat water then put food in?

if you are cooking something for a couple of hours, i get it to temp then add baggies

if you are doing something crazy long like 18-24 hour cook, i can't imagine it matters. 

Edited by NoName

i once accidentally switched recipes without realizing it because i looked at the app while walking the dog.  most cooking i've been doing without the app lately, but for some reason decided to fire it up the other day (think i was looking for chicken vindaloo).

• 3 weeks later...

I have my sous vide and cast iron method as good as I can get with the equipment I’m working with (heating the shit out of the skillet over an outside gas burner, which maxes out at 520 or so), and I can’t get the sear I want. Been wanting to get a searzall, but I’m about to get a serious upgrade in outdoor cooking equipment and I want to try searing it at closer to 650 before going with the searzall. 

But until that happens, I’ll try this method and will report back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Planet Houston said:

I have my sous vide and cast iron method as good as I can get with the equipment I’m working with (heating the shit out of the skillet over an outside gas burner, which maxes out at 520 or so), and I can’t get the sear I want. Been wanting to get a searzall, but I’m about to get a serious upgrade in outdoor cooking equipment and I want to try searing it at closer to 650 before going with the searzall. 

But until that happens, I’ll try this method and will report back. 

spacer.png