Sous Vide Recipes and Shit

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

I have my sous vide and cast iron method as good as I can get with the equipment I’m working with (heating the shit out of the skillet over an outside gas burner, which maxes out at 520 or so), and I can’t get the sear I want. Been wanting to get a searzall, but I’m about to get a serious upgrade in outdoor cooking equipment and I want to try searing it at closer to 650 before going with the searzall. 

But until that happens, I’ll try this method and will report back. 

charcoal chimney is cheapest and gives the best sear.

(skip to the last 4 minutes or so)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gonna drop this here for future reference.

Eggs yolks sous vide @ 145 for a couple hours. 

Spread on some bakery white bread (I wanted some very thin brioche, but couldn't find a loaf).

Toasted egg toast on the griddle, cut down to little rectangles.

Topped with slice of extra sharp cheddar.

Topped with thin sliced onion. Should have used more onion.

Topped with tartare.

Topped with jalapeno slice.

Tartare was center cut, grass fed tenderloin. Asked for tips, but they didnt have a separate sku, so just got the center.

Rough cut tenderloin into big 2-3" cubes, salted with kosher, threw in freezer with all the grinder equipment and bowls for an hour or so.

Ran though the big holes twice. Seasoning after first grind, and final seasoning in the bowl.  Don't want to work the meat too much. Made small little balls and stuck in the fridge until prep time.

5-A16-CDFC-4-F96-4951-A3-A5-826-F88-DDDE

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Cock-a-leekie roast chicken sous vide

Often good free range chickens can be rather tough but this method is guaranteed to produce a succulent result with an interesting familiar flavour, especially for the lovers of cock-a-leekie soup.

Ingredients:

• 1 medium organic free range chicken (1400 gr)
  • 2 large leeks
  • 8 ready-to-eat semi dried prunes
  • Salt and peper

Preparation method

• Carefully remove the outer leaves of the leeks retaining as much green as possible. Wash thoroughly.
  • Blanch the leaves to soften enough to be pliable and immediately immerse in ice water.
  • Layout a bed of clingfilm on the work surface about 45 X 70 cm. (you may have to use overlapping lengths to get the necessary width).
  • Thoroughly drain the leak leaves and lay these overlapping on the clingfilm. We are later going to fold these over the chicken so that the bird is completely wrapped in the leaves.
  • Place the prepared bird onto the leaves and season.
  • Push four semi dried prunes between the leg and the breast on either side of the bird.
  • Now fold over the leek leaves so that the bird is completely wrapped.
  • Tightly wrap the clingfilm around the bird.
  • Place into a vacuum bag and seal.
  • Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 150°F (65°C).
  • Set the timer for 6 hours.
  • Place the bird in the water bath and ensure it stays submerged. (it will have the tendency to float and will require weighting down.)
  • Cover the water bath to avoid evaporation I find the Anova precision cooker lid works perfectly.
  • When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath. Carefully remove the chicken from the bag. Reserve cooking liquid and leek leaves to use in a sauce. Preheat a hot air oven to 220°C.
  • Pat the chicken dry and place on rack in a roasting tin to allow maximum air circulation. roast for about 15 to 20 minutes until the skin is golden brown. Possibly using a kamado bbq to brown of the bird would also work exceptionally well.
  • Let it rest for 10 minutes, slice, and serve.

• 1 month later...

I live in a condo, and I have my WSM and a Weber Grill by the pool, but a pain to go out there every cook,  He previously used a Searzall torch.  I read not great things on that...

Looking to start making a good  piece of meat with a good crust more often with the convince of not worrying about a grill.

Edited by BNB

• 1 month later...

Not sure where to put this, wasn't actually sous-vide but would have been done identically. I note in the comments the 2 areas where sous-vide would deviate.

Reverse-seared pork tenderloin, done in a char-siu style:

Start with pork tenderloins, these were kurobuta, very well trimmed. (Ignore the tomahawk. That will appear again later.)

200464581_4tenderloins.thumb.jpg.c9c4887bde51e31de1124082e9fe4a46.jpg

Marinate overnight, I used off-the-shelf char siu seasoning and ignored the instructions because scheduling. Supposed to be fairly concentrated and marinate 2hr for only one or two tenderloins; I diluted the hell out of it and marinated 4 tenderloins almost 1 day.

marinate.thumb.jpg.354626bf0a9fe728d1f2499b3825cdbd.jpg

Here's where I deviate from sous-vide, but this step would have been similar for sous-vide. Into the oven on lowest setting, which on my little countertop oven is around 175F, monitoring internal temp for 130F (rare) on the coldest piece. It meant the thinner pieces cooked more, but most of the people I was serving aren't comfortable with rare pork anyways. If sous-vide, I would have dumped the marinade (see option below: save the marinade for glaze) and dropped the meat into the bath for about 1.5-2.5hr at 135F.

24596933_ovenlowestsetting.thumb.jpg.7b70329156865d13524f1bfc455acdb3.jpg

Here's the proof that this is similar to sous-vide - the meat comes out looking equally unappetizing (but smelling great).

unappetizing.thumb.jpg.41e3b6709e6b4f9c91e8bf645124babe.jpg

Here I let them cool and put them in a bag in the fridge only because I was serving the next day. The next day I reheated in the sous vide bath at 132F for 30min. If you were going to eat immediately, ice bath them for 3min (prevents the sear/glaze from overcooking the center) and proceed to next step.

Prepare a glaze, you want sweet with some salty. Many recipes will use the leftover marinade from above and cook it down; I didn't want to have to cook the glaze, so I made new. I used honey, brown sugar, mirin (rice wine), and soy sauce, and added 5-spice powder to keep the char siu style. Would have added some sesame if I had found it on the shelf (found it shortly after the cook). If you want your glaze to be thicker, cook it down on a low stove to concentrate it. If you see photos of char siu and want the thick, glossy, almost candy coating on the outside, you need to cook down your glaze first.

glaze.thumb.jpg.6fe0a9059b641ed12a30f17f99f5d64f.jpg

Toss them on the grill, medium high heat, with the goal of drying and caramelizing the glaze. You aren't trying to cook the meat here, just put a glaze on it. Brush the glaze, flip it down facing the heat, brush the other side, flip it down. Like painting, more thin coats is better than one thick coat. Glaze a lot, flip a lot. Flip frequently, the sugars in the glaze burn very quickly.

645661086_grillandflip.thumb.jpg.1cb0d0a9c524d0ebeebaa5f3e1b7a688.jpg

I flipped each one 10-20 times, brushing glaze each time. Pulled them off as soon as the charred areas got to where I like them. Builds this great shiny coating:

done.thumb.jpg.10a14ea2e9e36edc67c80a93060376e1.jpg

No need to rest before cutting, as your sous vide and ice bath took care of that step already. Slice and serve. You can see from the plate that there were nearly no juices lost when it was sliced.

slice.thumb.jpg.1a1a0db263a7c2e0e57165022b37c5a0.jpg

These got rave reviews from the group I was serving, everyone loved them and couldn't stop talking about them. Super tender, super juicy, great flavor.

Leftovers can be sliced thin and used to make banh-mi style sandwiches. Mayo on a baguette is what I had; use whatever you have. Add some pickled vegetables (not shown) to balance the sweet. Kimchi if you're in korea, pickles or pickled onions in the US, papaya salad here in Thailand. If you want to lean it towards a Cuban, add cheese and melt it.

sandwich.thumb.jpg.50cb9dae0969f5e74ea57fbecf0971d9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Recipe to sous vide thread por favor. 

it's a combo of SVE's recipe and NYT

i'm still working on the final recipe as i cook chicken in huge batches (~10lbs) so need to amp the spice level up.  marinade tastes great tho. 

into a blender or food processor go a red onion, a bulb of garlic, 1/2c olive oil, 1/2c lemon juice, the leafy top of a bunch of parsley, 2 tbsp turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp comino, 1/2 tbsp cayenne, cinnamon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
18 hours ago, Spur08 said:

This thread died like the Cowboy's chances for the Super Bowl.

Wife got me an Anova for Christmas so I'm wading in the waters...

Did this for New Years. Hoping to get some recipe inspiration for some stuff outside of steak here4bd27cecd7227ec877a4b14a57341c35.jpg

Got an Anova circulator and vacuum sealer for my youngest for Christmas.  He wanted to do a few meals while he was in town so we used mine.   Steaks with carrots and asparagus came out really nice.  Sorry no pics.

Since he got home on Sunday he did beef tenderloin steaks and pork chops.  He loves it.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, Spur08 said:

This thread died like the Cowboy's chances for the Super Bowl.

Wife got me an Anova for Christmas so I'm wading in the waters...

Did this for New Years. Hoping to get some recipe inspiration for some stuff outside of steak here4bd27cecd7227ec877a4b14a57341c35.jpg

Sear before the bath, or after?

• 3 months later...

I was talking to my West Texas dad on Saturday planning for Easter lunch.  He was like...

"do you still have that CV?" 

I was.. wut? 

"You know, that CV..." 

<confused> You mean a resume?

"You know.  The CV thing..  for meat."

????????  

Ohhhhhh!  Sous Vide????

"Yeah!!! I was wanting to CV some pork tenderloin!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
22 minutes ago, Masshole Horn said:

Necro-ish bump for particpated threads sake.

Got a circulator this week. An Anova clone from monoprice. So far, I've done chicken thighs, a strip, and pork chops. They all were good, but nothing special. Definitely over cooked the latter two, wonder if my circulator runs hot.

it may be that it isn't as well dialed in given that it's a clone.  sounds like you need to take a quarter of an inch off the assumed thickness of your meat for the assumed run time.  one of the keys to sous vide is what you put in the bag with the item you're cooking.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

These days? Unless you really want phone control or apps with preprogrammed recipe temps, save your money and buy anything. The generic Monoprice and Inkbird units will do just as well.

Only thing is if you plan to run a big water bath, you will want a higher powered one, OR just use two units in one bath. Be aware you will need to plug into two different circuits if the total wattage is over 1500w.

I got to where I stopped using any of the wifi and smart app functions and I much prefer a dumb unit with "set temp and turn on" only. Simplicity.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Only reason I could ever see to have an app would be to leave the meat in an ice water bath when I leave for work.  Then sometime in the early afternoon, fire it up in time for dinner.

But honestly I could never see myself doing that.

The only difference is instead of setting the temp and pushing the start button on the stick, you do it on the app. Everything else works the same. Joule is wifi so I could start it remotely, but never have. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So for xmas, I was sent a 4/12 lb smoked brisket that is frozen and vacuum sealed.  I want to sous vide it back to life tomorrow for dinner. 

Assuming I should go ahead and let it thaw overnight? 

How long should I have it in the sous vide tomorrow? 

Thx.