San Francisco moves to ban workplace cafeterias

Sandman

http://www.sfexaminer.com/supervisors-move-ban-workplace-cafeterias/

I wonder if the coffee pots are next on the hit list?

New city tech workers dreaming of dining in workplace cafeterias may soon face a harsh reality — going outside.

Two city legislators on Tuesday are expected to announce legislation banning on-site workplace cafeterias in an effort to promote and support local restaurants.

The measure, proposed by Supervisor Ahsha Safai and co-sponsored by Supervisor Aaron Peskin, would adjust zoning laws to ban workplace cafeterias moving forward, but would not be retroactive.

Peskin said the measure, was inspired by tech companies like Twitter and Airbnb, which are widely known to have access to dining in their own buildings, depriving nearby restaurants of the dollars usually spent by nearby workers. The measure has the support of Gwyneth Borden, executive director of the Golden Gate Restaurant Association and other local merchants.

Under the legislation which is expected to be introduced Tuesday, “you can’t have an industrial kitchen in your office building,” Peskin said.

Peskin said the legislation sought to avoid the “Amazon effect that impacts retail and restaurants across the county,” he said. “This is forward thinking legislation.”

San Francisco is not the first city to implement such a measure. Mountain View, home to Google’s headquarters, has prohibited the company from fully subsidizing employee meals at new office locations, in an effort to encourage employees to engage with the community and local businesses, the San Francisco Chronicle has reported.

Peskin said the measure was purposefully made not retroactive “so it’s not goring anybody’s ox.”

But, Peskin said, it’s a hope to mitigate the “app culture” of workers who are whisked away in private commuter shuttles to work, who dine in their places of employment, and see all their goods delivered to them by apps — depriving them the pleasure of mingling with the rest of The City.

“People will have to go out and eat lunch with the rest of us,” he said.

Supervisors Safai and Peskin and supporters will gather at The Perennial at 59 9th Street to discuss the legislation Tuesday at 12:45 p.m.

Supervisor Safai did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

I wonder who gets to be the Workplace Cafeteria Hunter Patrol, walking around sniffing the air for errant savory odors.

Will the workplaces run cafeterias anyway, that the employees jump up and hide a la Hogan's Heroes, turning stoves into copy machines? Probably not copy machines, that'd be a bit too retro.

Edited by RDCanecutter
me english bad was.

When I worked in Irvine, the Taco Bell headquarters was just down the street. They had all the PepsiCo brands in their cafeteria at company-subsidy prices. We used to sneak in and eat KFC, Taco Bell, etc and gorge ourselves for a couple bucks.

Just now, Gil Bang said:

When I worked in Irvine, the Taco Bell headquarters was just down the street. They had all the PepsiCo brands in their cafeteria at company-subsidy prices. We used to sneak in and eat KFC, Taco Bell, etc and gorge ourselves for a couple bucks.

Shart thread is thataway>>>

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Shart thread is thataway>>>

Years ago when I was trucking I went to a chicken processing plant in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Dock worker invited me to eat in their cafeteria while waiting on the load. It was located right across the hall from the factory floor and everything on the menu was chicken. There were windows all down the wall so you could see in clearly. Nothing like eating chicken strips while having to watch and smell chickens being processed into strips.

• Like 1

SF is on a roll. The rent is too damn high....so the rest of America needs to pony up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2018/07/22/democrats-proposed-rent-subsidy-would-enrich-landlords-and-fleece-taxpayers/amp/

k Harris sponsors the “Rent Relief Act”

once again paying for the problems you created with other peoples money, while simultaneously not addressing the problem at all. Sounds like the left’s immigration policies. 

Four Democrat Senators, led by likely 2020 Presidential candidate Kamala Harris (D-CA) have introduced a bill to subsidize rent through a refundable tax credit on federal income taxes. The basic idea of the Rent Relief Act is that low-or middle-income households that pays over 30% of their income for rent could claim a refundable tax credit for a percentage of rent paid above that 30% threshold, with the percentage depends on the household income.”

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

It's about time that people in SF were pushed outside to take lovely walks through their beautiful city.

Well, except that apparently it's a total fucking dump now.

Tolerant San Francisco fed up with dirty, smelly streets

Janie Har
Associated Press

Though known for its compassion to the needy, San Francisco may have hit peak saturation with tent camps, stinky urine and trash littering the streets, and the new interim mayor has vowed to do something about it.

In the last few weeks, Mayor Mark Farrell has promised $750,000 to hire more people just to pick up discarded needles and $13 million over the next two years for more heavy duty steam cleaners and pit stop toilets. He also ha

The city famed for its picture-perfect views of the San Francisco Bay has long tolerated overflowing trash bins and homeless people camped out on sidewalks. Commuters routinely walk past people slumped over in transit stations, sometimes shooting up in public.

But Farrell and others say the squalor has gotten out of control, and that everyone should feel safe using city sidewalks. It is not humane to let the mentally ill or houseless fester outdoors, he said.

"The trash, our homeless, the needles, the drug abuse on our streets, I've seen it all in our city and it's gotten to the point where we need to really change course," Farrell said in an interview. "We've gone away from just being compassionate to enabling street behavior and that, in my opinion, is a shift that's unacceptable."

It's not just the mayor who's fed up. Cleaning up the city and getting people off the streets have become key issues in the upcoming mayoral race. Many of the problems are in the city's downtown shopping and South of Market corridors, but elected officials say complaints have rolled in from across the city of 850,000 residents.

Adam Mesnick, who lives in the South of Market neighborhood and owns two deli shops there, said San Francisco is "finally kind of melting down" and that leaders have routinely ignored dangerous street behavior for years.

"I cannot have my family down here, I can't have visitors. I can, but I don't choose to, have my nieces come here," he said. "It's horrifying for my family to walk down the street here."

He's not sure Farrell, who was tapped as interim mayor after the sudden death of Mayor Ed Lee in December, will be able to make meaningful change in the short time he has left before the June mayoral race.

The downtown portion of Market Street, a key downtown arterial that runs from the Embarcadero through the Castro, teems with tourists, people shuffling in wheelchairs and children on school trips. On a recent day, a man was curled up on the sidewalk at a bus stop, moving his head just inches away from a bus as it pulled up. A bystander went to check on him.

The exact number of homeless people in San Francisco is uncertain, but about 7,500 were found during a one-night count in 2017.

The city's logged more than 24,300 requests last year for human waste cleanup and 9,500 for needle pick-up. This year, there already have been more than 8,300 requests to pick up waste and 3,700 for needles.

San Francisco has budgeted $65 million out of a $10 billion citywide budget for street cleaning this year. The $13 million the mayor announced this month will go toward hiring dozens more cleaners and expanding staffed pit stop toilets.

Homeless advocacy groups are critical of Farrell's plan to dismantle camps, saying the move only pushes people into other neighborhoods. The problem, they say, is a lack of long-term housing.

Lawana Tillman, 55, camps out in a wheelchair with friends on a corner they've claimed near Market Street. Most of them have been homeless for years. The women say they welcome help, but haven't seen any offers.

"They should first interview us and give us housing," she said. "It would take most of us off the street."

San Francisco's top tourism ambassador, Joe D'Alessandro, is convinced civic leaders can fix the problem. He made the rare decision to go public about city conditions, which he says have worsened in recent years, even for a cramped city that's always been less than pristine.

"It's going to take some money, it's going to take some dedication, but it's very fixable, and we can make San Francisco even more magical," he said.

Near the city's cable car turnaround by Union Square, tour guide Joseph Amster said he has seen more public defecation and more encounters with violent people who need medical help. He leads tours dressed as Emperor Norton, a failed 19th century entrepreneur beloved in a city that celebrates oddballs.

"I had somebody spit on me once. I've had a number of close calls. That didn't use to happen," he said.

Not everyone agrees that the city is roiled in human misery.

New York City resident John Rajnic, who was waiting to ride a cable car, said the city looks dirtier than when he was here nearly a decade ago, but he says the reaction is overblown.

"I'm not walking around thinking this place is filthy."

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-bc-us--dirty-san-francisco-20180430-story.html

•  

SFO used to be my favorite layover at Continental when we stayed in the financial district. Easy access to Chinatown and the wharf. Union square on the other hand is fucking skid row. Walk outside the hotel and immediately accosted by homeless. I'm sympathetic to their plight but don't engage me bro.

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

SFO used to be my favorite layover at Continental when we stayed in the financial district. Easy access to Chinatown and the wharf. Union square on the other hand is fucking skid row. Walk outside the hotel and immediately accosted by homeless. I'm sympathetic to their plight but don't engage me bro.

Kids, are you noticing all this plight?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RPM said:

Years ago when I was trucking I went to a chicken processing plant in Stone Mountain, Georgia. Dock worker invited me to eat in their cafeteria while waiting on the load. It was located right across the hall from the factory floor and everything on the menu was chicken. There were windows all down the wall so you could see in clearly. Nothing like eating chicken strips while having to watch and smell chickens being processed into strips.

Did the chickens have large talons?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

How much is Taco Bell at company subsidised prices? 

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

How much is Taco Bell at company subsidised prices? 

This was 20 years ago, but IIRC we'd each gorge for a couple of bucks each.  Seems like it was about 1/3 of what it would cost in a taco bell/KFC/Pizza Hut whatever

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:14 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

This.  Maybe the city should try and get the homeless to stop shitting on the sidewalks and maybe people will want to go outside for lunch.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  With the filth problem and tremendous penetration of angry, aggressive bums, it's really become and uninviting place to electively visit.  I live about an hour away, could easily get there on BART yet have zero desire to go there and haven't been in the city for anything other than an appointment or to get on a cruise ship in prob 7-10 years.  It seems very uninviting to eat there.  Restaurants are covered in graffiti, dirty as hell, smell like a dumpster, restrooms are a mess.

They seem to have sold their souls and make the lives of the homeless, what 5% better?  I mean, they are still homeless, sleeping on a bench, digging through trash cans for food, shitting on the sidewalk.  Has the benefit to the homeless been worth fucking over the "regular folks" who struggle to live in one of the worlds most expensive cities?  They are ruining a great city for what?  Their ethos seems to be "there is no limit to how much we are willing to fuck over regular people in order to prove how fucking compassionate we are."

Living in the east bay, there are all types here and largely there are good reasonable people, but SF can fall into the ocean for all I care.

• Like 3

Are they open after the bars close?

I love when people attempt to solve issues with bans. Always works out well.

I love when other people opine on local regulatory decisions then decry federalism. / Full CR as you have a history on that other site saying to respect local law

Having lived in SF, the issue if you actually read is that SF city gave a bunch of tax breaks for companies to have offices in the city with the understanding that the employee base would stimulate local areas (market st for Twitter) to help redevelop the city.

These companies instead gave fully subsidize meals so workers have no reason to go to local businesses so the arrangement was broken.

The city is trying to fix their loop hole as the result has been a bunch of tech companies in SoMa for cheap rent but the rest of the area still looks like a war zone as employees spend 0 dollars in the area.

I love when other people opine on local regulatory decisions then decry federalism. / Full CR as you have a history on that other site saying to respect local law  
Having lived in SF, the issue if you actually read is that SF city gave a bunch of tax breaks for companies to have offices in the city with the understanding that the employee base would stimulate local areas (market st for Twitter) to help redevelop the city.

These companies instead gave fully subsidize meals so workers have no reason to go to local businesses so the arrangement was broken.

The city is trying to fix their loop hole as the result has been a bunch of tech companies in SoMa for cheap rent but the rest of the area still looks like a war zone as employees spend 0 dollars in the area.

They're idiots, but our freedom lets them be so.

2 hours ago, Washpark said:

I would hope that the city was smart enough to offer those incentives hoping to bring jobs to the area which provides employment hopefully to people that live in the area, not provide generous corporate incentives in the hope that it would be recouped on people’s lunch money. 

Tech companies commonly offer generous incentives to entice people to work there despite the high cost of living.  Cafeteria is common as is free bussing from the suburbs etc. these kinds of incentives are important in companies keeping happy productive employees.  I suppose the city should have anticipated and made no cafeteria a prerequisite to their tax incentives. 

I dont think decrying silly local regulatory decisions and decrying federalism are mutually exclusive either. It would be perfectly reasonable for city administrators to not try to pass a law telling them where to get their lunch. It’s not a situation where if the city didn’t do it, then the feds would have.  What about just letting people decide where they want to get their lunch?

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 3