I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

• 3 months later...

They milled the road north of the bridge. Stayed at Costa Blu , 25 minute golf car ride from the center of town. Great resort , food wasn’t as good as Mahogany Bay but the bar staff and pool made up for it. Great restaurants only ten minutes away. Would do it again. The road to Secret Beach is still a cratered mess. YMMV

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, midtown said:

Got this in an email.  If you've ever stayed at the Blue Tang you know how amazing the staff is.  

https://fundly.com/supporting-blue-tang-inn-staff-families

I got it too.  Sent a few bucks earlier this week. 

The staff...I checked in, hot and tired at about 2 PM.  I said "where can I get a cold beer?".   5 minutes later they were knocking at my door with a case of icy Belikin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:16 PM, midtown said:

So Belize is open. Very few flights. At least from SA. So far only united without a overnight stop in Miami.

Looking in mid November.

Yeah, I got the blue tang email also. 

And yeah, I kicked in some dough.  I hope that my name is flagged in their computer for the next time I go down. 

I canceled this trip after I read a bit more about the restrictions.  You can only stay at hotels deemed gold, which means they've been certified on a clean level and you cant leave your hotel property unless it's to another gold level hotel restaurant or with gold certified tour operator.    It's unclear to me if you can even walk to a bar like Sandy Toes or Papalpa but still trying to understand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Leaving for Ambergris Wed.   I'm vaccinated and will follow all CDC and Belize Health guidelines.    Belize has a 10pm curfew but otherwise you can move freely around the island.   I'm an olds so by 10pm is no issue for me.  Esp being out in the sun day drinking.

RT on United for $470 which includes first class back.   Will get my return test at the Maya terminal on Friday morning.   Staying at the Blue Tang again.  $600 for 4 nights in a king ocean ste.  If you know Blue Tang its the left front room on the second floor.  I stayed in #5 last time which is the opposite suite.    I got the last room.   So its good to know tourism is picking up for the Belizeans. 

Fishing with Tino on Thursday.   Will try to go out on the Azul one of the days and then one day to just chill.  Ill get a cart and go to the airport for me test then use it to hit up the secret beach with a likely stop at truck stop on the way back.   And get into town for some cubans.   The Yolo is not going out and the Azul may or may not go out either.  Not too concerned about snorkeling.  I've been three times so instead Ill just rent some jet skis and have another chill day. 

I'm curious to see what is open and what is not.    I follow some of the bars on FB and both Sandy Toes and Crocs seem to be going strong.   

Will report.  

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, midtown said:

Leaving for Ambergris Wed.   I'm vaccinated and will follow all CDC and Belize Health guidelines.    Belize has a 10pm curfew but otherwise you can move freely around the island.   I'm an olds so by 10pm is no issue for me.  Esp being out in the sun day drinking.

RT on United for $470 which includes first class back.   Will get my return test at the Maya terminal on Friday morning.   Staying at the Blue Tang again.  $600 for 4 nights in a king ocean ste.  If you know Blue Tang its the left front room on the second floor.  I stayed in #5 last time which is the opposite suite.    I got the last room.   So its good to know tourism is picking up for the Belizeans. 

Fishing with Tino on Thursday.   Will try to go out on the Azul one of the days and then one day to just chill.  Ill get a cart and go to the airport for me test then use it to hit up the secret beach with a likely stop at truck stop on the way back.   And get into town for some cubans.   The Yolo is not going out and the Azul may or may not go out either.  Not too concerned about snorkeling.  I've been three times so instead Ill just rent some jet skis and have another chill day. 

I'm curious to see what is open and what is not.    I follow some of the bars on FB and both Sandy Toes and Crocs seem to be going strong.   

Will report.  

Sounds awesome, post some pics. I have to go to Chetumal in about 2 weeks and we may hop over to Ambergris for a couple of days if the price is is right.

Heads up for would be travelers to Belize.   On their website and app it says that a rapid covid test must be completed within 48 hours from DEPATURE.  However upon calling the Belizean health department I was told its within 48 hours of ARRIVAL.   

Fished the reef and outside the reef with my guy Tino   15 yellow tail.  1 spanish. 1 king  several trigger and I had a good size cuda that spit the hook on a jump.  Its the best fishing I've ever had here.   I assume the lack of pressure helped.  

PXL_20210304_175243998.jpg

• Drool 2

It's crazy how much Ambergris has blown up over the last few years.  When we went about 5 years ago, there was nothing at Secret Beach other than the old dock and one unoccupied building. There were only two other people there that day and they were actually from Austin and lived in our neighborhood.

Summary.   

It's pretty quiet in San Pedro right now as you might expect.   And everyone expects it to remain that way until Easter when they say its pretty booked up with all the people from Central America traveling for the the Easter holiday.   They said the return to US covid tests killed any hope of a tourist recovery.  The minute that was announced Blue Tang lost most of their bookings almost over night.    For me even though I feel bad for the locals it's kind of nice because everything is basically a private tour. Normally there are so many tourists snorkeling that you can barely keep in contact with your guide.  There were four boats out on the reef Friday and my boat had four people on it.   In high season its 25 boats with 10-15 people.    A lot of boats aren't even going out.  The YOLO sat there the whole time.   The consensus from the locals was even though it hurts the economy the reef needed a break.   

For some reason I noticed a lot more "ugly american" types especially at secret beach. 

Lots of new development btw.

Traveling in and out was fairly seamless.   Return testing also easy.   

Belizeans take covid really seriously.   Hand sanitizers everywhere.  Constant cleaning.  Social distancing and even temp checks at a few bars.   And they wear their masks all the time.  In the streets, walking down the beach, on golf carts etc.  

I hope to get back down there again this summer

On 3/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, CooterBrown said:

It's crazy how much Ambergris has blown up over the last few years.  When we went about 5 years ago, there was nothing at Secret Beach other than the old dock and one unoccupied building. There were only two other people there that day and they were actually from Austin and lived in our neighborhood.

Jerry Jeff writing an entire album about it didn't help.

When you talk about bars being at Secret Beach, do you mean on that long ass bumpy road there, or have they cleared out the shoreline space more?

I still find myself laughing at Tua from Dive Bar saying all the coke,weed, and strippers north of the bridge go through him. Love that guy

• 1 month later...

Question for the board: How good is the internet at the resorts on Ambergris Cay?

I am an IT person that manages several mission critical systems and I am currently short one member of my team. I am trying to take a week off and go to Belize in late May/early June, but will need to be able to log in and troubleshoot work systems in case of real emergencies. 

I don't need a lot in the context of around Austin, but am unfamiliar with Belizian resort wifi quality. Can I expect 3omb internet or am I looking at like 2mb?

Thanks

On 3/13/2021 at 5:10 PM, StassneyHorn said:

When you talk about bars being at Secret Beach, do you mean on that long ass bumpy road there, or have they cleared out the shoreline space more?

Yup.  At the end of the road that looks like it was used for bombing practice are 7-8 bars that run probably 500 yards from one end to the other.   From what others have said its a far cry from the one shack and completely byob. 

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Question for the board: How good is the internet at the resorts on Ambergris Cay?

I didn't run a speed check but I had no issues working a few hours a day placing trades and accessing my cloud stuff.    I did notice it dropping a few times but seem to come back up quickly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I am an IT person that manages several mission critical systems and I am currently short one member of my team. I am trying to take a week off and go to Belize in late May/early June, but will need to be able to log in and troubleshoot work systems in case of real emergencies. 

I don't need a lot in the context of around Austin, but am unfamiliar with Belizian resort wifi quality. Can I expect 3omb internet or am I looking at like 2mb?

Thanks

My last trip was in November 2019, but I'd say it will be spotty and closer to 2mbps than 30mbps

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks

I remember reading that they were getting upgraded internet on the island last year. May want to just ask the resort. It may have been delayed due to Covid.

On 3/8/2021 at 9:51 AM, midtown said:

Summary.   

It's pretty quiet in San Pedro right now as you might expect.   And everyone expects it to remain that way until Easter when they say its pretty booked up with all the people from Central America traveling for the the Easter holiday.   They said the return to US covid tests killed any hope of a tourist recovery.  The minute that was announced Blue Tang lost most of their bookings almost over night.    For me even though I feel bad for the locals it's kind of nice because everything is basically a private tour. Normally there are so many tourists snorkeling that you can barely keep in contact with your guide.  There were four boats out on the reef Friday and my boat had four people on it.   In high season its 25 boats with 10-15 people.    A lot of boats aren't even going out.  The YOLO sat there the whole time.   The consensus from the locals was even though it hurts the economy the reef needed a break.   

For some reason I noticed a lot more "ugly american" types especially at secret beach. 

Lots of new development btw.

Traveling in and out was fairly seamless.   Return testing also easy.   

Belizeans take covid really seriously.   Hand sanitizers everywhere.  Constant cleaning.  Social distancing and even temp checks at a few bars.   And they wear their masks all the time.  In the streets, walking down the beach, on golf carts etc.  

I hope to get back down there again this summer

Missed this somehow.   Is Jet still at the airport?

45 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Is Jet still at the airport?

He wasn't there when I flew in or out but I asked and the girl behind the bar said he's still around.  Oh and no hot dogs.  Fucking covid

Edited by midtown

4 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

My last trip was in November 2019, but I'd say it will be spotty and closer to 2mbps than 30mbps

I was there a few years ago...stayed at Blue Tang.  Went on a day trip to Caye Caulker.   Needed to check email, and I  see a bar/restaurant with a "free wifi" sign.  The GF and I go in and order lunch, and I log in.  The owner comes over to bullshit with us...he lives in Temecula, about 30 minutes away from me.    

Small world. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TPCJ007 said:

Any word on the latest Covid restrictions? Just found out a friend of mine is getting married at Stella's Sunset the last week of July and I need to start making plans.

Neg test or vaccine proof for entry. Wear mask every where. A month ago nothing closed. Neg test before going back to US. 

Friend just got back.  Said it was great.

Proof of vaccine or negative test (48-96 hours prior depending on test) to enter.  US require a negative test to return.

Curfew is 10pm except on Thurs- Sat nights when it is midnight.

Mask mandate has been eased some.  Don't have to wear one in a golf cart.  Need it in public gathering areas or retail.  Take it off at a table in a restaurant or bar.  Much more lenient than they had been.  Some shops mask use was observed to appear optional at best, but that's not policy.  Resorts are able to make them optional on their grounds, even in indoor common areas.

Said it was finally filling back up with travelers and investors buying property.  Locals are as friendly as ever and very happy to have the place hopping again. 

Edited by Reagan1k
Edit - Longer curfew through Sat - not Fri.
  • Like 2

Side note for those who have been.....I asked my buddy to inquire about Jett at BZE.  Word is he's doing fine, has stayed healthy, and should be getting his 2nd dose of the vaccine any day, at which time he'll be back slinging hotdogs and Beliken. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Word is he's doing fine, has stayed healthy, and should be getting his 2nd dose of the vaccine any day, at which time he'll be back slinging hotdogs and Beliken. 

Yeah I asked about him in March and got the same answer as well and I think I added it up top that they were not serving hot dogs when I was there

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Side note for those who have been.....I asked my buddy to inquire about Jett at BZE.  Word is he's doing fine, has stayed healthy, and should be getting his 2nd dose of the vaccine any day, at which time he'll be back slinging hotdogs and Beliken. 

and rum punch...for cash only.

Edited by Gil Bang

Headed to Belize at end of this month with my two adult kids.  They are scuba certified, but I'm not and prefer to snorkel.  Where are the good spots or connections for snorkeling?  We've done the day snorkel trips from Caye Caulker before where we swim with the lemon sharks and manta rays, but would like more reef action.

Placencia sounds like a good option. Any tips on staying there and things to do?

My son and I did the ATM Cave a couple of years ago, are there any other cave tours worth doing?

Appreciate any responses.

Headed to Belize at end of this month with my two adult kids.  They are scuba certified, but I'm not and prefer to snorkel.  Where are the good spots or connections for snorkeling?  We've done the day snorkel trips from Caye Caulker before where we swim with the lemon sharks and manta rays, but would like more reef action.
Placencia sounds like a good option. Any tips on staying there and things to do?
My son and I did the ATM Cave a couple of years ago, are there any other cave tours worth doing?
Appreciate any responses.

Any charter out to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. They are both amazing. Snorkeling was great since the water is not very deep. I could stand in spots and some went down to 30’ or so. I used a power catamaran booze cruise. If I think of the name, I’ll post it. It was great. Open bar and the best ceviche I’ve ever eaten.

I’ve also heard Mexican Rocks is great but we didn’t go there.

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I used a power catamaran booze cruise. If I think of the name, I’ll post it.

Well its not out of Palencia but this sounds like the YOLO.  

20 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

we swim with the lemon sharks

Are you sure you aren't talking about nurse sharks?  Lemon sharks can be dangerous.