I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

My seat mate on a Tropic Air flight to San Pedro was an enormous young man who ran a fishing lodge on Caye Caulker.  He said he had played football at UT.  I wrote his contact information down, somewhere, and have since lost it.  I've been to El Pescador a half dozen times, but I'd like to try this guy.  Anybody know who this could be?

I have no direct help.   I assume the fishing camp/guide community is pretty small in Belize (esp Caulker) maybe email or call another charter and ask if they know a big dude who runs a fishing lodge?   A big ass dude like that probably stick out like sore thumb on Caye Caulker.  If  you find him please post his contact info here.  I always like to give my business to a fellow alum

Edited by midtown

We had one incident in June on Caye Caulker where we were walking down the middle of the street back to our hotel after dinner.  Some cops were sitting at an intersection and yelled at my friend for not having his mask on.  They were being dicks about it honestly.  He put it on as soon as they said something, but they still kept at it.  I figured they were just bored cops being assholes.

Below is from the Victoria House Covid guidelines as of 10/8/21. We will be there in early November. Will update on how it goes.

Masks are Required
Please be aware that masks are required by the Belize government in all public places and social
distancing is also mandatory. Please plan on wearing your mask all the way through the airport,
on the flight to the island, and during the transport to the hotel, etc. We suggest you bring a few
extra masks just in case.

Once you reach Victoria House, masks are required on the property, including at our front desk,
walking into the spa or the restaurant/bar, etc. Of course, you can remove your mask once inside
the restaurant or bar and seated. You can also forego a mask at the pool or on the beach, as long
as you maintain a sufficient distance from anyone not in your family.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

We had one incident in June on Caye Caulker where we were walking down the middle of the street back to our hotel after dinner.  Some cops were sitting at an intersection and yelled at my friend for not having his mask on.  They were being dicks about it honestly.  He put it on as soon as they said something, but they still kept at it.  I figured they were just bored cops being assholes.

2 hours ago, Spoosner said:

Below is from the Victoria House Covid guidelines as of 10/8/21. We will be there in early November. Will update on how it goes.

Masks are Required
Please be aware that masks are required by the Belize government in all public places and social
distancing is also mandatory. Please plan on wearing your mask all the way through the airport,
on the flight to the island, and during the transport to the hotel, etc. We suggest you bring a few
extra masks just in case.

Once you reach Victoria House, masks are required on the property, including at our front desk,
walking into the spa or the restaurant/bar, etc. Of course, you can remove your mask once inside
the restaurant or bar and seated. You can also forego a mask at the pool or on the beach, as long
as you maintain a sufficient distance from anyone not in your family.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

^

That sounds about right and completely reasonable

I'm good with most of it and agree, most seems pretty reasonable. Having to wear them out on the streets, or anywhere outdoors really, is where I start to get beaten down. I'm so over this fucking covid thing. Trying to base a vacation around who has what for protocol/mandates and trying to predict who will have what in a couple months is a kick in the balls. I know...I need to be thankful I even have the luxury of being able to have that problem.

7 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Having to wear them out on the streets, or anywhere outdoors really, is where I start to get beaten down.

Totally agree.  I kind of did the nose out thing when no one around just to be less miserable but as soon as I got around anyone I put it on to give as much respect to the laws of the country which I love and to avoid being an asshole American who doesn't think the laws should apply to them.

Edited by midtown

1 minute ago, midtown said:

Totally agree.  I kind of did the nose out thing when no one around just to be less miserable but as soon as I got around anyone I put it on to give as much respect to the laws of the country which I love to avoid being an asshole american who doesn't think the laws should apply to them.

Haha yeah, I would be less comfortable being that guy than I would be having to wear a mask.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:11 AM, midtown said:

I have no direct help.   I assume the fishing camp/guide community is pretty small in Belize (esp Caulker) maybe email or call another charter and ask if they know a big dude who runs a fishing lodge?   A big ass dude like that probably stick out like sore thumb on Caye Caulker.  If  you find him please post his contact info here.  I always like to give my business to a fellow alum

Found him.  Haywood Curry, SeaDreams Hotel.

https://anglersabroad.com/haywood-curry/

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

Going to get back down to Belize here the first week in Feb.  I plan to spend 3 whole days in San Pedro doing what I normally do (fish, drink, bar hop, lay by the pool, secret beach etc) but since SWA flies a limited schedule and I have a bunch of points I figured I'd go a day earlier and do a night inland and check out the ruins.   Any help?  I'd like to be picked up by a hotel/resort and then check out some ruins and then be dropped back off at either the one of the airports or the ferrr

Well you guys aren't any help.  Well here is what I've found.  I have a few options.

I can do a tour from Belize City.  So I can either just stay in that area the day I get in or go ahead and head to the island and go back later in the week which means another RT flight or water taxi.

Second option is to go out to San Ignacio which looks like a cool little town to wander around and drink Belikins.  Its around 2 hours away from Golden.  Found a couple of really cool looking hotels to chill out.  It's in the jungle and right on the border so a nice change to see another part of the country.   Only issue is the hotel wants $165 per trip to pick up and drop off.  I wouldn't mind if it was a few days but that's a lot for one night.    My other option here is to rent a car at like $100 for the trip out and back.   The hotel in San Ignacio recommended it if you are adventurous the little bit of research I saw said it was easy

On 10/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, bmbmd said:

Her school has a wishlist.  Maybe Surly can fund a box or two of stuff to deliver the next time someone goes down to Caye Caulker.  

https://oceanacademy.education/supplies-needed/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Her school has a wishlist.  Maybe Surly can fund a box or two of stuff to deliver the next time someone goes down to Caye Caulker.  
https://oceanacademy.education/supplies-needed/

Im always down to help with stuff like this. I'm going Feb 1. Let me see if I can get over to caulker this trip. I don't mind taking foldable duffel.

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Currently in Punta Gorda. I will likely be all out of Belikin by the time the Raiders kick off. Got the 501 getting cold as back up. LFG!

c891d32d811515a3bdf254f274fba460.jpg
fc142a77135d50b3fe76bfd5d9246b3c.jpg

After a week plus drinking that crap, I was really excited to get a Bud Light on the airplane home.   i was recently in DR.  Now Presidente, that's some damn good beer. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have no issues with the taste.   I'm more bothered by the fact that it's like 11.1oz vs 12.    I'm not a beer snob so I generally don't give two shits about the taste of a beer when I'm on vacation somewhere tropical.  At least they now sell a few others like PIrate, Lighthouse and the Belikin stout etc.  Just don't ever, ever drink the vodka.  Holy shit they had it on special at Palapa bar one day so I ordered one.   Took one sip and sent it back.  Denis just laughed. 

Btw.  So I decided to stay in BZE at the Radisson.  Ill be there around 3pm so I figured Id head over to the tourist area and have a few beers and watch the cruise ship fatties come back from their excursions.  Will do a 6 hour cave tubing and ruins tour the following day and then catch a flight at 4pm from the muni-airport to SPR. 

Edited by midtown

Related to the size, the glass is also thicker and the bottles are heavier than normal so it's hard to tell when your bottle is almost empty.  A contributing factor is that I'm usually pretty drunk when drinking them.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Related to the size, the glass is also thicker and the bottles are heavier than normal

So true.  You pick on up and are sure there has to be beer in it and it's like Clark after Russ drinks all the beer in vacation.    You keep tilting further and further expecting beer.

It's also why most people don't realize it's less than 12.  I've won several bets with people based on this knowledge. 

Edited by midtown

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, midtown said:

Here at the Radisson here in Belize city . Needs an update and apparently that's happening in a few months. Might walk around and try not to get mugged

PXL_20220131_203202313.thumb.jpg.92801450c59e5240e9652ff872a3744d.jpg

I stayed there for a work charity thing about 6 years ago. Unless things have changed, I wouldn't spend any time wandering around after dark without a destination in mind. I saw from your earlier posts you plan to get out of Belize City pretty quickly. Solid plan. I'd just enjoy your beers at the Radisson and rest up for that.

Got to SP last night.  I think its the wknd when all the olds used to come see JJW play because its PACKED with old.  Like barely found a seat at Palapa last night.

Went fishing today with Tino.   15lb yellowtail jack, ocean trigger, and 5 mutton snapper.  Ill be eating well for the next 3 days.

According to TIno.  He was JJW's primary fishing guide.  Said the line about getting snappers to eat was him taking JJW out to fish.  " Says his name is mentioned in one of his Belize songs and that JJW actually wrote a song from that album on his boat.  NOt sure if its true but he had a bunch of other stories about JJW.  

Belize recap.  Always a great time.  I did meet the owner of the Blue Tang btw and talked to him a bit.  He is a mid 60s dude named Bruce from Minn.  Super nice.   Said he and 3 other couples came down 15 years ago and the three other bought houses and he bought the Blue Tang.  

Also met some amazingly attractive 51 yr old woman who was sitting at the Dive bar by herself on the way back from Secret.  Did a little bar hop with stops at truck stop, Crocs, and the Dive Bar.   She broke up her boyfriend that morning and asked if she could come with me into town to go to the chicken drop.   yada yada he showed up looking for her but eventually left.    Fun night.  

Seems like tourism is really starting to return and the people are as nice as always. 

I did do the Mayan tour to Altun Ha and cave tubing and that was fantastic.  Something about touching a stone brick that a Mayan placed there 3000 years ago blows my mind.   The tubing part was hilarious.   90% of people looked terrified and were all tied together being pulled by their guide.  And its about as calm as can be.  I was paddling around like a mad man and trying to hit every possible little rapid.   

Next trip I plan to head out to San Ignacio.  All the locals recommended a day or two there.

• Hook 'Em 2

@kevwun Standard stuff.   Masks required by law but very loosely enforced.   Like pretty much no one wearing masks in bars etc. except bartenders.  you definitely see most people wearing them while commuting around between places and I try to wear mine as much as possible out of respect.  Test going in, test coming out.  11pm and midnight curfews still in effect.   Closed down Palapa one night at 11pm.  Good lord its been a long time since I've done that

It didn't help that SWA, UA, AA, and DL all landed 73s at the same time.  Health and immigration were longer than they have been in the last few years but they are super organized at Golden.   I feel like I move through a bit quicker esp when they see all my Belize stamps or maybe I just know how to complete the inbound form.  Customs also a 15 min wait but landing to outside the airport 30-40mins

Edited by midtown

Thanks, the friends we have been talking about going with again aren't keen on going back until the mask mandates are lifted.  It was the same last summer when we went and we had gotten used to not wearing them outside because no one was and it wasn't being enforced.  Then one night when we were walking back to our hotel after dinner, my friend's husband got yelled at by some bored cops for not having his mask on.  It was rather unpleasant and luckily ended quickly because they spotted a group of drunk college kids to go harass and let us go on our way.  I have no issues wearing them while traveling and when inside, but having to wear them walking around outside is rather silly.  We may go to Costa Rica instead.  I have always wanted to try the fishing there.

Edited by kevwun

I did pick up a comment from someone that Belizeans are a tad irritated at Americans who don't respect their laws.  I saw plenty of straight up Im not wearing one in the grocery store etc.  And I agree that you shouldn't go if you dont want to wear a mask.  Lots of chin masks and noses out.   Tourism has picked up so I think you are getting a lot of Americans who are used to the no masks in the US in most places.   But I never even got an eye or word from any of the police I saw or walked by but I did have it at least on.  I agree its brutal walking down to covid testing site and just sweating with a mask on.    FYI.  Costa Rica has a mask mandate too and I found it to be similar in enforcement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I just got a cart for about 8 hours to drive out and back to secret Beach. Blue tang either has their own or a rental company just parks a bunch next to hotel.

Hitched rides from time to time with some ex pats.

Picked up a bunch of kids on the way back from secret beach and gave them a ride a few miles back towards town

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back.  Mask situation is dramatically different than it was 9 months ago.  No one wearing them outside and no longer required.  Many not wearing them inside, or have them on but pulled down.  Curfews are later and seem to be more fluid. I was shocked at how many people weren't wearing masks at all inside the terminal at BZE.   Huge difference in 9 months.   

Had a great trip.  Caught some fish with Tino.  Grabbed a bowl of island paella at Aji.  Read a book while having a great breakfast at Waffle & Smoke.

Helluva good chair massage at Secret Beach while my wife and her buddies sipped drinks and people watched.

Made it back to Hidden Treasure for the first time in a couple of years and they are still doing things right.

No complaints!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Outdoor masking is gone from Belize now.   And curfew is also gone

Following this announcement, Statutory Instrument (SI) No. 36 of 2022 was released, citing more changes to the health protocols. The new rules state that a mask will no longer be needed outdoors in an open space. However, masks are required in public buildings, including churches, government buildings, stores, and supermarkets. A mask should also be worn while using public transportation and attending events such as a funeral or wedding.

21 hours ago, midtown said:

Outdoor masking is gone from Belize now.   And curfew is also gone

Good Timing.  I head down on the 12th, San Pedro for a week, few days in San Ignacio and then back to an San Pedro.  Staying until the 30th.  Lots of Scuba Diving this month.

We're thinking about going there next year for our 20 year anniversary (June '23).  We got married in Ambergris Caye in '03, and we haven't been there since, so it may be a good time to return.

I'm thinking of renting a house on Ambergris Caye.  Short of searching VRBO / AirBnB, any recommendations on cool beachfront houses to rent?  We're 50/50 on whether or not to include the kids or go solo.  If we do go solo, that opens up trying to get a really cool hotel suite.  We stayed at Portofino when we got married, and most of the wedding party stayed at either Ramon's or Victoria House.  Open to suggestions on high-end but boutique-ish hotels as well.

6 hours ago, midtown said:

Definitely detail San Ignacio. That is 100% on my next trip. I want to see more Ruins and they are supposed to have the best in that area.

While you are out that way consider the cave tubing. That was a blast. I've got a guy

You need to head to Tikal.  It will take 3 days with getting there and back, but it's worth it.  Flores is a great town to stay in for it.

Edited by kevwun

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:55 AM, CooterBrown said:

Hobbs Brewing is opening a brewery in Belize so there will now be other options other than Belikin.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/hobbs-brewing-co-opens-new-brewery-in-belize

Hobbs Brewing Co., which opened as brewpub in New Hampshire, in 2014, will begin distribution with 12 oz. cans and kegs throughout Placencia, Belize, in April.

“We recognized that this area really needed craft beer,” said Ash Fischbein, a partner of Hobbs Brewing Company. “And we started to put it all into motion last year.” Placencia is a small village located in the Stann Creek district of Belize. Placencia has a population of approximately 3,500, but is a prime vacation destination and home to many new resorts and other businesses.

Hobbs will feature two beers as it begins production in Central America: Wildcat IPA and Hummingbird Belizean Golden Ale.

Wildcat IPA, so named because Belize is home to the world’s largest Jaguar preserve, is a 6 percent ABV India Pale Ale featuring a tropical and citrusy hop character. Wildcat is the only IPA available in the country. Meanwhile, Hummingbird is a light, crisp and easy-to drink ale that is just 4.7 percent ABV.

They will be sampling these beers at the upcoming Easter Festival in the Village of Placencia on April 20.

“One of the most intriguing things about brewing in Belize is the incredible agriculture down here,” Fischbein said. “As we grow and continue to brew new styles, we really want to experiment with all the amazing ingredients that are literally right on our doorstep.”

Day-to-day brewing operations will be led by intern Anthony Swanick, who began to learn the craft at Hobbs’ location in New Hampshire over the last few years. For more information, please contact Hobbs Brewing Co. at info@hobbstavern.com.

I went to Hobbs this weekend.  It was pretty good.  They are also selling the cans all over Placencia.  Definitely nice to have options besides Belikin.

Also food and drink is CHEAP down there right now.  Never spent over $100 on food and drinks for 3.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, huge said:

Also food and drink is CHEAP down there right now.  Never spent over $100 on food and drinks for 3.

Yeah but have you seen the flight prices?  I can usually get to BZE from SA for under $400.  Everything is way north of $500.  My special lady friend wants a beach vacation and I talked her out of Tulum to go to San Pedro.  She tick tocked it and she's all geeked up

Friend of mine works for Muy'Ono Resorts, so we're doing a week in Belize in August on the cheap. 4 nights at Sweet Songs Jungle Resort and 3 nights at Brisa Oceano. If this trip goes as well as we've been made to expect, we may never waste our money at another Mexican beach. 

Edited by Eggo

13 hours ago, Eggo said:

Belize in August

The first time I went to Belize was in August.  Two things.  It's the offseason.  Maybe things are different in 2022 with so many people traveling but don't be surprised if its dead.  Might be what you are looking for but if you are looking for a Mexico type party you might be disappointed.  Two it's off season because its freaking hot.   Like Houston hot and humid.   As a Texan it didn't really bother me but I can understand why a lot of people don;t go to Belize in August

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

Was supposed to do a big friends get-together at a beach house in South Padre this summer in July, but a couple of friends decided to drop out, so we're canceling and doing something else, just as a couple.  My wife and I hit 20 years of marriage last summer but didn't feel like traveling for COVID reasons, but now we're all about getting out and doing something new.

And so Belize came up in our discussion, a place we've never been.

I've read through the thread but thought I'd make a specific appeal for the most recent news and recs on what you all would suggest for a total noob?  My wife loves the beach, hotels on the beach, hanging out on the beach, hanging out poolside, and drinking fruity drinks.  I love doing whatever my wife wants to do whilst on vacation in order to maximize my own... benefits.  I don't fish so that's not a consideration.  We'll run most days for exercise, but beyond that I'm totally okay with being completely laid-back in a lounge chair or hammock, drinking beer, reading a book.

So for a week in July for Belize noobz, any recs on best hotels on best beaches, preferred restaurants, best hang-outs, any must-see attractions, and anything else?  Thanks in advance.

My one takeaway after spending a week in placencia in a villa we rented is that the beaches are not the perfect white sandy oasis type. And if you want fancy beautiful resort you might be happier in MX.

Outside of that would recommend the Placencia area highly. We rented a golf cart and tooled around. Food was outstanding and not expensive. Like $30-50 a person per meal with drinks.

I think Turtle Inn is the nicest resort in the area.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, huge said:

Like $30-50 a person per meal with drinks.

I'm with cooter on this.   I can't imagine paying $30 let alone $50 for a meal in Belize.    Unless there is some 5 star resort in Palencia that is flying in caviar and wagyu beef.   Sure hope huge isn't paying that for some fish tacos, beans, and flapjacks. 

10 hours ago, huge said:

My one takeaway after spending a week in placencia in a villa we rented is that the beaches are not the perfect white sandy oasis type. And if you want fancy beautiful resort you might be happier in MX.

Outside of that would recommend the Placencia area highly. We rented a golf cart and tooled around. Food was outstanding and not expensive. Like $30-50 a person per meal with drinks.

I think Turtle Inn is the nicest resort in the area.

Thanks. We've done Mexico a ton, and various other place in the Caribbean.  It's partly me wanting to do something different, because she definitely likes beautiful beaches and fancy resorts.