I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

20 minutes ago, midtown said:

I go at least once a year and sometimes twice and I haven't seen Jet at Jet's since befor the pandemic.  Sexual harassment at Golden has plumeted 

I stayed at the Princess once and we didn't leave the hotel either and I was with a group who have been working in Belize on archeological digs for 40+ years.  The head guy was even kidnapped and held for ransom in the jungle back in the 80's.

Edited by kevwun

• 3 weeks later...

Finished booking our trip today.  A few days at Ramon's Village on San Pedro and then we're heading to Caye Caulker for a few more days.  Never been to San Pedro, but some friends stayed at Ramon's last year and really liked it.  Their descriptions and the pics look pretty good.

22 hours ago, kevwun said:

Finished booking our trip today.  A few days at Ramon's Village on San Pedro and then we're heading to Caye Caulker for a few more days.  Never been to San Pedro, but some friends stayed at Ramon's last year and really liked it.  Their descriptions and the pics look pretty good.

The ex and I always stayed at Ramon's.  On our last trip, there was a strong afternoon rainstorm with very high winds.  We sat on our porch drinking bourbon while we watched a sailboat flying a Texas flag get blown onto the reef just offshore in front of Ramon's.  It ripped a pretty big gash in the hull.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2024 at 1:55 PM, kevwun said:

Their customs process is usually very fast unless a few planes land at the same time.  Even if the line is long, it still moves quickly.

IMO the bottle neck is when you have to wait for a checked bag and then everyone jams up at the two customs booths.  Immigration has what 12 booths?

Went we flew on Southwest, our flight to Houston was delayed. So, for the flight to Belize, we were the last to board and had to sit in the back row.  Luckily, they have stairs for both the front and rear exit doors so we were the first to customs and it took 5 minutes.

We like to book a private boat tour on our trips. From San Pedro it looks like there’s a few different destinations. Any difference or preference between Secret Beach and Caye Caulker? It’s me, my wife and 4 kids. Age range 6 to 15. 

We like to book a private boat tour on our trips. From San Pedro it looks like there’s a few different destinations. Any difference or preference between Secret Beach and Caye Caulker? It’s me, my wife and 4 kids. Age range 6 to 15. 
I think secret is more kid friendly as far as the water but it also has more of a club feel. Definitely bring your sunglasses to check out the strings while your wife isn't looking.

Caulker had more shops and restaurants etc to wander around.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sharing an email from a real estate guy down there that got me excited about the Yucatan getting much better connected:

Between the road paving project, new hospitals and medical facilities, gas stations north of the bridge, ferry/water taxi terminal, and additional Mexico water taxi routes it's better than ever to get in. 

New Water Taxi Route Connects San Pedro & Mexico
On February 24th, a new ferry route was announced that connects San Pedro & Ambergris Caye, Belize, to Chetumal, Mexico.

San Pedro Belize Express unveiled its latest addition, the Three Star Voyager vessel, marking a significant milestone in the connectivity between Belize & Mexico and expanding its service offerings.

The ferry route (water taxi) enhances the travel experience between Belize and Mexico but also holds significant potential for boosting tourism in Belize and facilitating trade in the region.

This new route also signifies a milestone in connectivity, improving not only transportation for tourism but also logistics. By providing a direct and efficient travel option, it opens up new avenues for economic cooperation and trade.

The trip between Ambergris Caye & Chetumal will take customers quickly and smoothly from Ambergris Caye, Belize, to Chetumal, Mexico.

The water taxi service will further increase tourism to Belize and Ambergris Caye, especially with the recent opening of the Tulum International Airport and the Tren Maya (Yucatan Express Train system).

The Tren Maya (sometimes also Mayan Train or Maya Train) is a railway system that traverses the Yucatán Peninsula. 

The railway begins at Cancún International Airport and travels down to Chetumal and the Mexico/Belize border.

New Water Taxi Terminal Connects San Pedro & Belize City
There is a new water taxi terminal being built in the southern part of San Pedro Town, which will relieve a lot of the downtown traffic and improve accessibility from Belize City to San Pedro & Ambergris Caye. The new Water Taxi Terminal has started constructing the boat terminal south of downtown San Pedro along Coconut Drive.

The project will be completed this year and is already well underway. This new boat terminal also has a seafront extension, an area for parking, unloading, loading, and dropping off passengers

Road Pavements and Gas Stations
A new gas station north of the bridge is complete and construction of another starting in Secret Beach.

That water taxi sounds pretty good.  My butthole was clenched when I was wedged in with a dozen other mofos on a Tropic Air flight.
Taxi: cheap but timely not for those who get sea sick
Flight: more expensive and fast but not for those who don't like small planes.

Posted (edited)

I don't ever remember it being rough on the ferry.  Sometimes they go slower if the sea is up, but that's about it.  There's not really any rolling like on smaller boats.  They also change up the route depending on conditions.  One day when it was super calm, I swear we made it back from Caye Caulker to San Pedro in almost half the time of a normal trip.

Edited by kevwun