I Belize we need this topic....

Reagan1k

We always go along the reefs when we go snorkeling out of Caye Caulker.  Weird that you didn't get to see them.  Sometimes if it's rough you can't go because you can't help but get pushed on to them and that's bad for the reefs.  Heading out next Friday.  Can not fucking wait.

The booze cruise was the YOLO out of San Pedro. Highly recommended.
Yolo wasn't running back in March due to lack of bookings. Hopefully that has changed because it's a great time. Drinks flow. Staff is awesome and the food is great

Legitimate CBD gummies with melatonin.  They don't do anything other than make me sleepy.  We have had quite a few lighters confiscated at the airport in Belize City for no reason over the years.  That's the only reason I'm nervous.  The last time we were down there the UT summer archaeological dig program kids were flying back home.  My wife used to help out with it and her old professor still runs the program.  One of the advisors was flagged for explosive residue when they were all going through security.  We were a little nervous for awhile, but she was cleared after they did some more tests.  Only thing we could figure is that she got some gas on her clothes or bag on the truck ride in from the dig site camp that's way out in the jungle. 

Edited by kevwun

Legitimate CBD gummies with melatonin.  They don't do anything other than make me sleepy.  We have had quite a few lighters confiscated at the airport in Belize City for no reason over the years.  That's the only reason I'm nervous.  The last time we were down there the UT summer archaeological dig program kids were flying back home.  My wife used to help out with it and her old professor still runs the program.  One of the advisors was flagged for explosive residue when they were all going through security.  We were a little nervous for awhile, but she was cleared after they did some more tests.  Only thing we could figure is that she got some gas on her clothes or bag on the truck ride in from the dig site camp that's way out in the jungle. 

Didn’t Belize legalize weed a couple of years ago? I doubt they give a shit about CBD.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Didn’t Belize legalize weed a couple of years ago? I doubt they give a shit about CBD.

Decriminalized.   And I agree about cbd.   I took some actual gummies in March and like I said all they did was ask me if I had clothes in my bag and I was the only one in line since I don't check bags.  So the guy had all day to inspect my bag if he wanted to.   IMO they are so desperate for tourists that they are just waving people through. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have terrible news.  Belize changed lobster season to where it doesn’t start until July 1st.  First time we’ve ever been here where I haven’t gorged on lobster at almost every meal.  Not a tail to be found anywhere.  We talked to a local we know who we go snorkeling with and he thinks it will be a permanent change.  They did a study and figured out it’s better to push it back because it doesn’t impact their spawning season.  We did get some conch ceviche yesterday.  Still a wonderful place though.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had a great time doing several day and night snorkeling trips from Caye Caulker.  Sampled three separate snorkel companies and all were very good. 

Got to see lots of lobster at night and then the next several days eat lots of lobster. 

Spent last two days at Secret Beach staying in the cabanas.  We brought our own masks/snorkels so went around the piers and looking at patterns on the floor. Watched parts of Euro and Copa quarters at the bar when taking breaks from the water.  

Came home to snorkel in the San Marcos on Monday and Tuesday. 

Best part was having the kids together.  It had been 19 months since they've seen each other.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Headed to San Pedro next week for a Friends wedding at Stella's Sunset. Any tips from the experienced? Staying at a condo provided by a friend and will have access to a golf cart and we have tentative plans to do some snorkeling, I would like to do the YOLO Caye Caulker thing.  It seems like the mask requirements have been loosened on the island but I will still have to get a covid test before returning to Texas. Any other advice?

Looks like some mild restrictions are back in Belize.   It was 9pm when I was there in March.   Never really saw it as an issue.  If you are out in the sun fishing, snorkeling, secret beach and drinking not sure who is really going hard past 9pm anyway.

In San Pedro for the week. Sunday night we did Lobsters at Sandy Toes then we snorkeled Hol-Chan and shark ally on Monday with dinner at Elvi's. The wind was very low and the water was FLAT, great for snorkeling. Today was more snorkeling and spear fishing for lobster and fish. With 5 fish and 4 lobsters we had a big bowl of fresh chevchi before we went and hung out at cay calker. Tomorrow we're on a catamaran for a wedding and then it's Secret beach on Thursday. The Belkin's help with the sunburn. Oh and curfew is 10p but I've been in bed by 10:30 the past few nights. The sun sets and rises early here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heading down in early November. Trying to book my puddle jumper flight.

Our SWA flight is scheduled to land in BZE at 1:15 PM. Puddle jumper options are 1:40 or 2:40. We're not checking bags, but I'm assuming with entry activities we'll need to go with the 2:40. Thoughts on that?

Similar for the return. Our flight leaves BZE at 2:10 PM. The puddle jumper lands at either 12:15 or 1:15 PM. Think we'd be ok pushing it a little and doing the 1:15, or do the exit procedures take a bit of time?

You can get through customs in 10 minutes. If you can’t sit in the front, sit in the very back. SWA deplanes from both ends like South Austin’s mom. You can easily be first at customs.

I’d book the later puddle jumper. I know my flight was late from Houston because it has to wait for all the connecting passengers since there’s not a later flight to put them on. We were the late connection from austin due to weather. Had to sit in the last row but were happy to find out about the back door upon landing.

• Hook 'Em 1

When you get through security the puddle jumpers and on your left. They will ask you if you have any baggage to check and likely will put you on the next flight without even being prompted.

I take that back. The check in is before secrity but same result. When you get back into the terminal Maya and Trop are at the far end nerar the Beliken store

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, and what do y'all think about the return? I'm thinking we'll be fine landing at 1:15 for a 2:10 flight as we can check in online and whatnot. Any unexpected departure procedures/delays with COVID?
Personally I'd go one earlier although odds are high that 50 mins is fine but you just never know with covid etc At worst you have a few beers at Jets

24 minutes ago, mycox said:

YOLO out of San Pedro? I see a few companies running this. Is there anyone particular I should book?

The Yolo is a good time.   Very big catamaran that is docked right next to Palapa Bar.  75% drinking and eating 25% snorkeling.   In March they weren't even running due to low numbers but just look them up on facebook or viator.   The owner is a cool dude.    They might have a sunset cruise.

If you want to do some inshore fishing.   Kings, Spanish, Baracuda, and tons of snapper to eat all week let me know I've got a great guide.   Tino

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Very big catamaran that is docked right next to Palapa Bar.

Palapas is back?  I know the owners made a lot of enemies on the island after the last hurricane.  We always enjoyed the bar but they do need to learn to play nice with the locals.

Palapas is back?  I know the owners made a lot of enemies on the island after the last hurricane.  We always enjoyed the bar but they do need to learn to play nice with the locals.
Well it's been there for at least the last 5 years. And it's much bigger than before and they have added lots of decking and inner tubes. I wasn't privy to the issues with Palapa and the locals. And actually now according to Louis the bartender there is animosity between the town bars and the secret Beach bars who are taking lots of their business

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't sure how long it took to rebuild but remembered the friction which apparently still exists.

Maybe if they didn't charge you to go over that stupid little bridge more people would head into San Pedro?  I also always felt that the vibe in San Pedro changed after the sun went down.

Edited by VABuckeye

I always stay at either Blue Tang or Paradise Villas next to it so I only go the other way accross the bridge when I go to Truck Stop or secret beach.  

What vibe?  I've walked all over San Pedro during the day and night both on the streets and up and down the beach to Sand Toes or down to Wahoos to the grocery etc.    IMO it just gets really quiet and kind of dead at night with just those staying in San Pedro out and about and mostly bouncing between about 4 or 5 bars

On 10/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, VABuckeye said:

Thanks for the info.  I wasn't sure how long it took to rebuild but remembered the friction which apparently still exists.

Maybe if they didn't charge you to go over that stupid little bridge more people would head into San Pedro?  I also always felt that the vibe in San Pedro changed after the sun went down.

You actually pay those grifters???

On 10/1/2021 at 9:14 AM, midtown said:
On 10/1/2021 at 9:11 AM, Spoosner said:
Thanks, and what do y'all think about the return? I'm thinking we'll be fine landing at 1:15 for a 2:10 flight as we can check in online and whatnot. Any unexpected departure procedures/delays with COVID?

Personally I'd go one earlier although odds are high that 50 mins is fine but you just never know with covid etc At worst you have a few beers at Jets

bring cash

On 10/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, VABuckeye said:

On 10/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, midtown said:

Well it's been there for at least the last 5 years. And it's much bigger than before and they have added lots of decking and inner tubes. I wasn't privy to the issues with Palapa and the locals. And actually now according to Louis the bartender there is animosity between the town bars and the secret Beach bars who are taking lots of their business

Wasn't there some bullshit on the old site about a gofundme for the owners?  There was no fucking way that I was going to contribute to the owners of a for-profit business.  Get some insurance, motherfuckers. 

Do it at the testing center next to the airport in San Pedro. Fast and easy. The doctor who did mine was super attractive

I walked down there after breakfast. Got offered every drug by some dude on a bike. Policeman caught up to us and asked if he was bothering me.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMO based on my March visit.   

Belizeans are extremely compliant.   They at that time wore them everywhere.  Like on golf carts and riding their bike down the beach because its the law.   I wore mine largely as requested.   However technically even when I sat by the pool at the Blue Tang or walked down to the end of the dock I was supposed to be wearing one but I didnt.   Never was asked to but you just dont see a lot of police hanging out at the pool.   Anything indoors or at least before you get to your table seemed to be expected.  At secret beach.   NO one was wearing masks but staff and locals and there were police but no comments at all.    All the dudes hanging at the dock at Carlos and Charlies weren't either but the police are probably these dudes family.   So I'd say its loosely enforced I assume esp for tourists but also be respectful as I'm sure you are

Edited by midtown