How Is That Chain Still Open?

30 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The new corporate chiefs in Chicago may grant your wish....  

But hopefully not at the expense of the brand's reputation.  

That would be a welcome addition.  We have Culver's, which is pretty much on par quality-wise, but lacks the southwest twist that really puts Whataburger up a notch for me.

That said, I'm not holding my breath.  A lot of Chicago based stuff doesn't make out here.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I have eaten at Culver’s exactly once in my life. I believe it was the fall of 1999, my last semester at Texas, and they were constantly running the Culver’s commercials. Buuuuuuuuuutterrrr burger. So one of my roommates and I drove down to far south Austin and tried it out. I remember thinking the burger was good, but nothing special. However, we were both disturbed by the fact that a fast food restaurant was carpeted.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have eaten at Culver’s exactly once in my life. I believe it was the fall of 1999, my last semester at Texas, and they were constantly running the Culver’s commercials. Buuuuuuuuuutterrrr burger. So one of my roommates and I drove down to far south Austin and tried it out. I remember thinking the burger was good, but nothing special. However, we were both disturbed by the fact that a fast food restaurant was carpeted.

They're relatively plain, but I think the beef quality is probably at the top.  I give Whataburger the edge due to a matching beef quality, with more interesting topping options.  I think sides and non-burger options are also of similar overall quality, but Whataburger's stuff is just more up my alley.  Culver's is just a little too Midwestern in that they don't really challenge you with any level of spice.

The frozen custard is an area where Culver's shines.  I'm not a dessert/sweets guy in general, but that stuff is straight crack.

We frequent out culvers maybe once every 6 weeks...and now I'll never look at one the same. Thanks

50 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The second Chuy’s they opened in Atlanta sucks. Bad food and bad service. Are the ones in Texas still good?

i haven't eaten at chuy's in probably 6 years.  not for lack of effort though.  the ones around us have 1 to 2 hour waits friday, saturday, and sunday nights.  

9 hours ago, RollLeft said:

McDonalds sucks but it should be at the top for speed.  Where are these 7600 people from? 

Speed and also value. It probably also has the best healthy options among the fast food joints, not that most care about that. 

One thing is McD's is fairly high on fast food chains for variance, so if you get a few people with really bad McD's, that can skew it. BK also has super high variance, good if you get a good one, but some of the trashiest, most inept, awful spots as well.  In n Out and CFA, very low variance. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

They're relatively plain, but I think the beef quality is probably at the top.  I give Whataburger the edge due to a matching beef quality, with more interesting topping options.  I think sides and non-burger options are also of similar overall quality, but Whataburger's stuff is just more up my alley.  Culver's is just a little too Midwestern in that they don't really challenge you with any level of spice.

The frozen custard is an area where Culver's shines.  I'm not a dessert/sweets guy in general, but that stuff is straight crack.

Every time we pass the Culver’s by us my kids lose their shit asking for ice cream. 

20 hours ago, ztejas said:

Welcome to Panera Bread, can I get you half of an airport-display-case sandwich with a bowl of campbell's chicken noodle and a drink for $23? Because fuck you that's what you're getting. 

Came here to post this.  Holy hell that place is trash and expensive as hell.  And of course my 13 year old daughter loves it.  Good teas/lemonades though.  Plus they're free when you order at the kiosk and forget to put them on your order.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, Lobo said:

Good point on the TCBY by campus.  I drive by that thing probably 6-10x a week and never see anyone there.  Maybe 1 or 2 cars in the lot, figure they have to be employees.  Nobody ever inside at the counter, nobody at the drive-thru.  And this has been the cast for the last 10+ years.  You never see anyone walking around eating one.  You never see the empty cups littered about campus or the Drag.  You never see any other TCBY's anywhere in the whole state.  And there is a proliferation of frozen yogurt, custard, popsicle, ice cream, and assorter purveyors of trendy confections.  You see all that shit everywhere, but no TCBY and nobody is ever eating inside there.  

Dammit, now I'm gonna go inside and get one next week so satiate my curiosity.  

All the signs of a money laundering front.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Every time we pass the Culver’s by us my kids lose their shit asking for ice cream. 

Not surprising.  I remember the first time I had Culver's custard.  It crossed the Mississippi somewhere around '97 give or take, and I never wanted to get DQ ever again after that.  Unfortunately the old man was a DQ guy.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The second Chuy’s they opened in Atlanta sucks. Bad food and bad service. Are the ones in Texas still good?

In Alpharetta? It's fucking awful, plus the atmosphere is just bizarre.  It's so bad that I wonder if the food at Chuy's was ever any good, or was I just swayed by all the other stuff (the vibe, mostly) back in 1989.

Just got an Olive Garden/Longhorn Steakhouse/Cheddar's/Season's 52 gift card at work. I think I'm going to quit. Literally, 4 of the worst restaurants I know. If you added in Mi Cocina and Mexican Sugar, that more or less covers my most hated restaurants. 

Give me a fucking Whataburger gift card assholes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JSB said:

Just got an Olive Garden/Longhorn Steakhouse/Cheddar's/Season's 52 gift card at work. I think I'm going to quit. Literally, 4 of the worst restaurants I know. If you added in Mi Cocina and Mexican Sugar, that more or less covers my most hated restaurants. 

Go to Olive Garden and buy a bunch of breadsticks.  That’s really your only play here.

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I just ate Olive Garden for the first time in forever, it’s really not that bad.  The salad is good, Alfredo sauce surprisingly good and breadstick are good.  

You're supposed to start a stand alone thread on such topics. Derka out front should have told you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I just ate Olive Garden for the first time in forever, it’s really not that bad.  The salad is good, Alfredo sauce surprisingly good and breadstick are good.  

I kind of like their gnocchi...of course it doesn't taste anything like real gnocchi, but I'll eat it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Wait,  what is wrong with Mi Cocina?

27 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Wait,  what is wrong with Mi Cocina?

Dude... you are literally the last person I would expect to question why I don't like Mi Cocina. I grew up near San Antonio and prefer hole in the wall places. With Mi Cocina, I just haven't found anything on the menu that I absolutely love. My favorite right now is Emelia's in the Colony, near where I work. If you're ever other there, check it out. It is in the strip mall by the Chick-fil-a and Starbucks.  https://www.emeliastexmex.com/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Parliament said:

Whataburger is the Truth.  NDSU fans come back from Frisco asking for it.  We need some franchises up here.

God bless those crazy, well behaved SOBs.  They were up here year after year @ the FC Dallas fields.  Caught their last game.  So much fun.  Like going to your first AAA game.  Fun atmosphere and you gave zero shits about who won.  

29 minutes ago, JSB said:

Dude... you are literally the last person I would expect to question why I don't like Mi Cocina. I grew up near San Antonio and prefer hole in the wall places. With Mi Cocina, I just haven't found anything on the menu that I absolutely love. My favorite right now is Emelia's in the Colony, near where I work. If you're ever other there, check it out. It is in the strip mall by the Chick-fil-a and Starbucks.  https://www.emeliastexmex.com/

Oh, damn.  I pass that way every week taking the kids to practice and never noticed.  Glad I dropped in on this.  Love these hole in the wall places.  

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, damn.  I pass that way every week taking the kids to practice and never noticed.  Glad I dropped in on this.  Love these hole in the wall places.  

Right at 121 and Main. Best breakfast tacos I've found in DFW, and lunch is damn good too. 

The talk about Whataburger makes me want to kill myself. I live in Harrisburg, PA, so hundreds and hundreds of miles from one. The first thing I do after leaving a Texas airport - regardless of time - is drive to Whataburger. 

This region has a ton of chains but even the “good” ones are trash. The Poeye’s is inedible and looks like a Breaking Bad set piece. The Sonic is vile - they fuck up limeades. The Chick fil As are good but they screw up orders frequently. 

I pray our new Chicago overlords expand the Whataburger footprint.

All that said, this area has the best collection of cheesesteak/sub shops on earth. I can throw a rock and hit 4 different sub shops that serve some of the best sandwiches on earth.

God bless those crazy, well behaved SOBs.  They were up here year after year @ the FC Dallas fields.  Caught their last game.  So much fun.  Like going to your first AAA game.  Fun atmosphere and you gave zero shits about who won.  
You should always cheer for ndsu with the millions weve poured into your local economy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

GDit…

Assuming you're in Metroplex area. 

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

When I was growing up out in the country, I used to see Olive Garden commercials on TV and think "man, I wish I could go to fancy restaurants like that."

/csb

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rudiger said:

When I was growing up out in the country, I used to see Olive Garden commercials on TV and think "man, I wish I could go to fancy restaurants like that."

/csb

Red Lobster was the golden goal of places to go when we went to a “city” to eat as a child.  

So while we're building our house, we're going to be living in an apartment in Carrboro, which is basically a suburb of Chapel Hill, which is in turn a suburb of Raleigh.

And one of the first things that impresses an outsider is the relative scarcity of fast food joints. Tons of restaurants but nearly all of them are local. It's something I could get used to, given that I'm moving from College Station, the Capital of the United States of Generica. You could count the non-chain restaurants in this town on one stumpy hand.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So while we're building our house, we're going to be living in an apartment in Carrboro, which is basically a suburb of Chapel Hill, which is in turn a suburb of Raleigh.

And one of the first things that impresses an outsider is the relative scarcity of fast food joints. Tons of restaurants but nearly all of them are local. It's something I could get used to, given that I'm moving from College Station, the Capital of the United States of Generica. You could count the non-chain restaurants in this town on one stumpy hand.

1) Dixie Chicken

2) ???????

On 7/31/2019 at 9:35 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Strange. What part of Florida are they from because there's probably 20 located between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

I still remember the look of devastation on my old man's face when we were going to eat at the whataburger by ucf just to find out all central Florida establishments were closed.

The I-10 corridor is the only place where they are in Florida and they skip from Tallahassee over to Jacksonville. I drive 75 through Florida regularly and there are times my wife requests a side trip to Tallahassee and then up 65 so she can get Whataburger.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:05 AM, RollLeft said:

McDonalds sucks but it should be at the top for speed.  Where are these 7600 people from? 

The whole speed category is completely off. Culver’s is the slowest chain around. You could go to a restaurant and just about get your burger faster. McDonalds is all about speed.

I'm waiting patiently for the day we get a Chuys here in Charleston, SC.  Even a bad chuys would be 10x better than most the garbage they call texmex here. 

I think brisket man John Lewis is working on a texmex concept but he needs to hurry up.  

Edited by Elvis Presto

Didn't mean it as mi Cocina is the best but more that it is pretty good. Certainly not a restaurant I think is just terrible and can’t believe it is open

18 hours ago, spystud13 said:

This looks like papa Murphy's stuffed the ballot.  Atmosphere?  A garage sized room in a strip mall where you wait for 5 minutes while a greasy faced high school kid wraps your  pizza in Saran wrap ranks high in atmosphere. 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Where are these fast McDonald's at? I've been maybe twice in the last year and felt like I was waiting forever.

I was wondering if I was the only one. I've eaten at McDonald's probably three times in the past 15 years and it took a eternity each time.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:53 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 8/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Read more  

We frequent out culvers maybe once every 6 weeks...and now I'll never look at one the same. Thanks

I like Culver's a lot more than Whataburger. Their bacon and cheese butterburger combo with cheese curds instead of fries blows away anything Whataburger does. At least anything I've had a Whataburger which is damn near everything

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2