How Is That Chain Still Open?

14 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Dumplings. Wait upper right? Water, I think

I always treat my table like I treat the stage.  Stage Right is dumplings then I see.  I'm sure they were superb, I just couldn't tell and was trying to think of what goes with fried meats and M&C.  

This instagram rage of posting pics of your meals (not here, this is literally a thread about meals at chains)...but it got me thinking how out of place pics of meals would be in our generations or the one before's photo albums. Sure enough, my in-laws are scanning old pics to save for future holidays and came across one of a taco salad bar.  A photo of said salad bar, with a taco theme.  It seemed so out of place in this bundle but wouldbe totally at home in their instagram feed.  

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Wait, you took a picture of your bad meal experience?  And were able to find it and share it?  That is some dedication to misery! ;)

LOL - this was part of a miserable experience that is in the "bitch about your family thread." I don't normally take pictures of my food unless it's something I cooked that came out really well. But, I did intentionally take this pic to put on surly to show exactly how miserable Christmas Eve lunch turned out to be.

10 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

LOL - this was part of a miserable experience that is in the "bitch about your family thread." I don't normally take pictures of my food unless it's something I cooked that came out really well. But, I did intentionally take this pic to put on surly to show exactly how miserable Christmas Eve lunch turned out to be.

Ha!  Fair enough.  And I completely forgot about the shitty holidays thread, that's always a great one, so thanks for the reminder!

Is cracker barrel wildly inconsistent across locations? Ate at one for the first time circa fall of 2003 in Corpus and it was amazing. I mean completely blew me away. Was excited to try again and when i next got the chance at a location in Dallas in 2006 it was horrifically bad. So bad I didn't even eat half of it. A few bites then paid, got the hell out of there, and haven't set foot in one in the 13+ years since. 

Is cracker barrel wildly inconsistent across locations? Ate at one for the first time circa fall of 2003 in Corpus and it was amazing. I mean completely blew me away. Was excited to try again and when i next got the chance at a location in Dallas in 2006 it was horrifically bad. So bad I didn't even eat half of it. A few bites then paid, got the hell out of there, and haven't set foot in one in the 13+ years since. 

There is definitely something going on. Years back we used to love going to specific ones. In the last two years we’ve tried three different ones and the food was horrifically bad. I think they’ve cut ingredient quality.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:30 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Cracker Barrel.....

Don’t kid yourself, CB does well.  I’m forced to go there 3-4 times per year with the in-laws and my family.  They’re always packed with a wait at peak times.  Granted, those aren’t locations in big cities.  

Their annual revenues are flat, which is somewhat remarkable in the mid tier family feedbag category.  They give a shitload of food for $10 a plate and as long as they do that, rubes  will keep going there.

• 1 month later...
Arby's. If I want to eat old meat flaps with horseradish sauce I will go down on an elderly prostitute and probably pay less.
Subway. Always mediocre or less, now I think only of Jared diddling kids. 
Popeye's. How the mighty have fallen. All that's worth ordering now is the beans and rice. Not much meat on the chicken these days, and the spicy is bland. 
Captain D's, Long John Silver: This has been a mystery for me for decades now. 
Burger King: Has no identity, no niche. 

Arby’s is delicious.

Jack in the box is probably the best major chain fast food joint.

Popeyes are good but I don’t eat much fried chicken.

Subway is a decent cheap sandwich.

Ljs has good hush puppies

Dude, wtf??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Most of the fast food chains are fine.  They are what they are- cheap food with enough fat and flavor to fill you up.  But the mid-priced chains mentioned above-Applebee’s, Olive Garden, Chili’s, El Torito, etc- those are all abominations.  

It’s just a matter of how you use them.

For example, @ chili’s you can get a good turkey club Sando for lunch or something. Try to go there for fine dining, not so much.

Nobody should go to Applebee’s ever

Olive Garden they have good breadsticks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I was a kid we ate a Long John Silver's pretty much every Friday during lent.  I loved it back then and I suspect they get a good amount of catholic business even when it is not Lent just from being a creature of habit default.  I still go about once a year and regret it each time.

I have seen no mentions of Braum's in the Midwest.  Purely shitastic interstate food served with lousy ice cream.

It’s always surprised me that the uS Catholics who adhere to eating fish the most religiously eat the worst fucking fish and the worst fucking places.  

I look forward to Lent not because I give a shit about adhering (I ate pork for lunch), but because all the small town bars have fish frys.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

When I was a kid we ate a Long John Silver's pretty much every Friday during lent.  I loved it back then and I suspect they get a good amount of catholic business even when it is not Lent just from being a creature of habit default.  I still go about once a year and regret it each time.

I have seen no mentions of Braum's in the Midwest.  Purely shitastic interstate food served with lousy ice cream.

I occasionally get LJS when on a road trip and needing to eat dinner in the car because....well, maybe because I hate myself.  But I still like it once in a while.

Cracked up when I stopped at the location in Brownwood, and in line in front of me were cowboys about as cowboy as you can cowboy -- stained hats, dusty wranglers, bowlegged, well-worn spurs on.  Just seemed a funny image in a fast-food fish and chips joint.

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I occasionally get LJS when on a road trip and needing to eat dinner in the car because....well, maybe because I hate myself.  But I still like it once in a while.

Cracked up when I stopped at the location in Brownwood, and in line in front of me were cowboys about as cowboy as you can cowboy -- stained hats, dusty wranglers, bowlegged, well-worn spurs on.  Just seemed a funny image in a fast-food fish and chips joint.

I basically grew up in Brownwood. Have you have the CFS at Section Hand?

On 12/28/2019 at 1:57 PM, Lobo said:

Sure enough, my in-laws are scanning old pics to save for future holidays and came across one of a taco salad bar.  A photo of said salad bar, with a taco theme.  It seemed so out of place in this bundle but wouldbe totally at home in their instagram feed.  

This one?

wendys+superbar.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I grew up with Braum’s - as a kid and even into college it was a good, inexpensive burger, fries and shake. Visiting family years later tried it and now it’s outright trash. Not sure if my standards went up or they went downhill, likely a little of both.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, Godzillatron said:

I grew up with Braum’s - as a kid and even into college it was a good, inexpensive burger, fries and shake. Visiting family years later tried it and now it’s outright trash. Not sure if my standards went up or they went downhill, likely a little of both.

Braum’s was my first job, and I’d still eat it when I went back after I moved away. It fell off a cliff in the early 00s. I’m assuming they had to slash costs at some point...it’s nowhere near what it was.

• 4 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Don’t kid yourself, CB does well.  I’m forced to go there 3-4 times per year with the in-laws and my family.  They’re always packed with a wait at peak times.  Granted, those aren’t locations in big cities.  

Their annual revenues are flat, which is somewhat remarkable in the mid tier family feedbag category.  They give a shitload of food for $10 a plate and as long as they do that, rubes  will keep going there.

as opposed to hipsters who shell out $5 for a fucking taco...

Not a CB defender by any means, but the shot at the IQ factor of Cracker Barrel clientele is ignoring the idiocy of the self-enlightened folks with gross negligence.

They’re selling entire fish for $1/each and still turning a profit.  Yeah, it’s good.  If you hate your body as much as you hate capitalism. 

I used to love Long John’s when they had the locations on Lamar (now a Taco Shack) and Burnet (now a Panda Express). Chicken planks slammed and went hard. But I ate at the one on Cameron a few years ago, and it was fucking inedible.

Edited by HenryJames

38 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

I used to love Long John’s when they had the locations on Lamar (now a Taco Shack) and Burnet (now a Panda Express). Chicken planks slammed and went hard. But I ate at the one on Cameron a few years ago, and it was fucking inedible.

We went to one nearby about a month ago and both the fish and chicken were puny compared to what they used to be, and the slaw isn't near as good as it once was.  But I'm a glutonous fatass who'll go back soon. 

ok. so my bank account was low, so I took a chance on the 2 for $5 Burger King special on the way to the DFW airport.  But first I stopped at a Kroger's to get a whole apple pie.  So, I'm going through TSA with 2 whoppers and a full apple pie in the backpack.  The TSA chick told me she would have to look at my food, and sure enough, "this is making me hungry" comes out of her mouth.  I just smiled and said thank you. 

Whopper not bad.  Kroger apple pie better.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

ok. so my bank account was low, so I took a chance on the 2 for $5 Burger King special on the way to the DFW airport.  But first I stopped at a Kroger's to get a whole apple pie.  So, I'm going through TSA with 2 whoppers and a full apple pie in the backpack.  The TSA chick told me she would have to look at my food, and sure enough, "this is making me hungry" comes out of her mouth.  I just smiled and said thank you. 

Whopper not bad.  Kroger apple pie better.  

Are you a marathon runner?