How Is That Chain Still Open?

That’s outstanding!  Were you flying to Paris?  Amsterdam?  Frankfurt?  That much food would hold me to Moscow, at least.  Did you bring your own spoon for the pie or will airlines still loan/give you one?  Did you get booze on the plane?  Have they changed the rules to let you bring your own onboard (liquor, that is-).  I’m thinking of vacation. Plans...............

I’d rather sit next to Rex dipping then have smell those whoppers the whole flight. Fast food shouldn’t be allowed on flights.

This opens all sorts of range of offensiveness scenarios.

Skoal sour apple in a clear plastic rocks glass with no napkin or foot long subway turkey lettuce diarrhea, toasted?

Brings $60 worth of Long JS planks for the whole flight, but you all ready ate?

Brought sbarro slices for your row, but then stores the greasy cardboard box(s) and his 20oz Sbarro spittoon (xtreme frost ice - winter green!) in the seat back.

13 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

That’s outstanding!  Were you flying to Paris?  Amsterdam?  Frankfurt?  That much food would hold me to Moscow, at least.  Did you bring your own spoon for the pie or will airlines still loan/give you one?  Did you get booze on the plane?  Have they changed the rules to let you bring your own onboard (liquor, that is-).  I’m thinking of vacation. Plans...............

Rural Alaska. Am a teacher traveling back to the bush.    The flight left DFW at 5:45 p.m. Had an overnight layover in Anchorage, can blame Alaska Airlines for that.  The layover was from about 10 p.m. to 1:25 p.m. next day.  The 2nd whopper lasted until I arrived in Anchorage late that night, and the apple pie lasted all of the way until about 9:00 a.m. the next morning.  Only had to eat out one meal on the trip, the last meal in modern civilization for maybe a whole year, depending upon the COVID.  That meal was an overpriced but delicious cheeseburger in the Anchorage Airport at about 11:30 a.m.  Took my own plastic fork for the pie.  Next time am thinking more along the lines of more protein.   I like Kroger's and Anchorage has their own version of Kroger's, FredMeyer.  I am thinking Rotisserie chicken, maybe two.  I am cheap, no doubt.  The pie and two whoppers combined to cost about $10 plus tax for the whoppers in Euless, TX.  The cheeseburger, fries, and coke in Anchorage airport cost about $20.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

ok. so my bank account was low, so I took a chance on the 2 for $5 Burger King special on the way to the DFW airport.  But first I stopped at a Kroger's to get a whole apple pie.  So, I'm going through TSA with 2 whoppers and a full apple pie in the backpack.  The TSA chick told me she would have to look at my food, and sure enough, "this is making me hungry" comes out of her mouth.  I just smiled and said thank you. 
Whopper not bad.  Kroger apple pie better.  

7c8d53c788707a5e5c131e3c8fd2fd75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

The TSA chick told me she would have to look at my food, and sure enough, "this is making me hungry" comes out of her mouth.    

And you didn't take that opportunity to tell her you had a sausage that could satisfy her hunger?  What kind of a Surly-ite are you? 

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Rural Alaska. Am a teacher traveling back to the bush.    The flight left DFW at 5:45 p.m. Had an overnight layover in Anchorage, can blame Alaska Airlines for that.  The layover was from about 10 p.m. to 1:25 p.m. next day.  The 2nd whopper lasted until I arrived in Anchorage late that night, and the apple pie lasted all of the way until about 9:00 a.m. the next morning.  Only had to eat out one meal on the trip, the last meal in modern civilization for maybe a whole year, depending upon the COVID.  That meal was an overpriced but delicious cheeseburger in the Anchorage Airport at about 11:30 a.m.  Took my own plastic fork for the pie.  Next time am thinking more along the lines of more protein.   I like Kroger's and Anchorage has their own version of Kroger's, FredMeyer.  I am thinking Rotisserie chicken, maybe two.  I am cheap, no doubt.  The pie and two whoppers combined to cost about $10 plus tax for the whoppers in Euless, TX.  The cheeseburger, fries, and coke in Anchorage airport cost about $20.  

Bro next time just do the sane thing and bring PBJ and some pretzels for the flight. My goodness 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Thanks for the info, and thanks for your dedication to helping educate a way underserved population. OTOH, I’m a little taken aback by the thought of someone tearing into a rotisserie chicken in the window seat!  Flights are approaching Guatemalan bus rides in demeanor and behavior anyway, so I’m gonna remember your approach...........every time I’m in the Miami airport, I kinda expect people to come on board with crates of live chickens.  Nobody on board knows me, anyway.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Bro next time just do the sane thing and bring PBJ and some pretzels for the flight. My goodness 

no dice, dude.  3.4 oz is next to nothing.  Apple pie was a great choice, because it was good as either a dessert or breakfast.   The whoppers and pie covered dinner, breakfast and a good snack.  Not bad for $10.  I can go lower on price, but will have to spend time cooking.   Good challenge, though.  I spent $30 total during a 21 hour flight.  Will go for less $ next time. 

Jam and Jelly

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Less than 3.4oz/100 ml allowed)
  • Checked Bags: Yes

Peanut Butter

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 11/13/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

We have a Brio down the street from my work. We used to take clients there all time, but about 10 years ago it changed. The quality and portion sized went way down. That was also around the time the had their IPO. Guessing cost savings had alot to do with it. Someone gave me a gift card there a couple of years ago so me and my wife went. For that prices, and considering it''s fucking pasta, I was pretty pissed when we left and we were both still hungry.

We live in the same town so I'm glad I was able to find your post. Went for dinner tonight and holy fuck that was one of the worst meals I've ever had out.  And I'm pretty sure it's worse now than when you went because they closed during Covid and some new money swooped in, re-opened, and started serving even shittier food after stealing the branding for probably $.20 on the dollar. 

It's the Applebee's of "Italian" food.  Apologies to Olive Garden. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:51 PM, orangecat92 said:

ok. so my bank account was low, so I took a chance on the 2 for $5 Burger King special on the way to the DFW airport.  But first I stopped at a Kroger's to get a whole apple pie.  So, I'm going through TSA with 2 whoppers and a full apple pie in the backpack.  The TSA chick told me she would have to look at my food, and sure enough, "this is making me hungry" comes out of her mouth.  I just smiled and said thank you. 

Whopper not bad.  Kroger apple pie better.  

How was your mid flight shit over British Columbia?

34 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Definitely taking notes, whole apple pie carryon is genius.

I am revisiting this thread and lol! Wow! It is  is all coming back to me now, because it really gets serious now.  I am moving 500 miles further north, to the Arctic Circle.  Groceries are even MORE expensive up there, so the food tactics will become paramount.  I am thinking about prime days now.  I plan to purchase a vacuum sealer, and smoke two briskets at my sister-in-laws house here in the metroplex.  Then, I can vacuum seal the sliced briskets.  The brisket meat will be part of my two totes that will be baggage....two totes of frozen food, all of the way from the metroplex to Selawik AK, 99770.  It's actually located above the arctic circle.  

So, the key to the food operation is keeping the food frozen at various points along the way.  The super good news is that American has a non-stop flight, and I paid for that flight in March.  I am flying premium economy, great seat at a reasonable price. I have a motel with a walk-in freezer waiting for me in Anchorage. 

The other non-negotiable is freezer space here in the metroplex close to the airport.  I talked to a manager at one of those freezer places back in April I think, and he will rent a pallet in a sub-zero freezer for $40 for 24 hours, I think.  That gives me 21 or so hours to buy the frozen food, and get it in the freezer in the two totes. 

Then the situation of the carry-on comes up.  I am thinking about more serious protein this time.  I could smoke a third brisket and take that as a carryon, but I

think that would be way too much fat, and take up space I could use for clothes.  

When I arrive in Anchorage I will mail almost all of my clothes.  It is much cheaper to mail than to pay the crazy high, $1.15 per pound from Kotzebue to Selawik.  

Will update this as I go along. 

Will happily take suggestions for high-protein snacks as a carryon. Total trip from metroplex to Selawik is about three days.  Not looking forward to Anchorage, except for the 0% sales tax. Will eat at Olive Garden for sure.  Reserved a rent-a-car back in April, before the rent-a-car crisis hit.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, threesheets said:

We live in the same town so I'm glad I was able to find your post. Went for dinner tonight and holy fuck that was one of the worst meals I've ever had out.  And I'm pretty sure it's worse now than when you went because they closed during Covid and some new money swooped in, re-opened, and started serving even shittier food after stealing the branding for probably $.20 on the dollar. 

Not surprised. About the only Italian places in Allen i go to are Spazo's on McDermott near Custer and Joe's Italian on Bethany. Neither are earth shattering, but pretty good

10 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

I am revisiting this thread and lol! Wow! It is  is all coming back to me now, because it really gets serious now.  I am moving 500 miles further north, to the Arctic Circle.  Groceries are even MORE expensive up there, so the food tactics will become paramount.  I am thinking about prime days now.  I plan to purchase a vacuum sealer, and smoke two briskets at my sister-in-laws house here in the metroplex.  Then, I can vacuum seal the sliced briskets.  The brisket meat will be part of my two totes that will be baggage....two totes of frozen food, all of the way from the metroplex to Selawik AK, 99770.  It's actually located above the arctic circle.  

So, the key to the food operation is keeping the food frozen at various points along the way.  The super good news is that American has a non-stop flight, and I paid for that flight in March.  I am flying premium economy, great seat at a reasonable price. I have a motel with a walk-in freezer waiting for me in Anchorage. 

The other non-negotiable is freezer space here in the metroplex close to the airport.  I talked to a manager at one of those freezer places back in April I think, and he will rent a pallet in a sub-zero freezer for $40 for 24 hours, I think.  That gives me 21 or so hours to buy the frozen food, and get it in the freezer in the two totes. 

Then the situation of the carry-on comes up.  I am thinking about more serious protein this time.  I could smoke a third brisket and take that as a carryon, but I

think that would be way too much fat, and take up space I could use for clothes.  

When I arrive in Anchorage I will mail almost all of my clothes.  It is much cheaper to mail than to pay the crazy high, $1.15 per pound from Kotzebue to Selawik.  

Will update this as I go along. 

Will happily take suggestions for high-protein snacks as a carryon. Total trip from metroplex to Selawik is about three days.  Not looking forward to Anchorage, except for the 0% sales tax. Will eat at Olive Garden for sure.  Reserved a rent-a-car back in April, before the rent-a-car crisis hit.  

980D8885-0CC8-40C6-8975-E9FAFBD5E4D8.jpeg

On 6/18/2021 at 10:47 PM, threesheets said:

Sort of like how bw-3 became Buffalo Wild Wings, went corporate, grew into a big chain and went to shit, Brio started out as Bravo and they had one store in Columbus not far from where I live. It was awesome. They made everything in-house including the lasagna and the focaccia bread. They opened a store in Indianapolis, then another one down near the OSU campus. Those are the only Bravo stores I know of. Then they started calling themselves Brio. That was good too for awhile. The first sign of them going downhill was the change to their focaccia bread. I don’t know where they outsourced it but instead of it being pan-made and sliced, it started coming in little rolls that were fused together. Somehow mass produced and probably came frozen. The same thing happened to their lasagna. And just slowly over time they kept cutting corners, sacrificing quality for the sake of profits and eventually went to shit. Happens all the time.

My dad and I used to eat at the original Bravo store often. He passed away in 2014 and we had stopped eating there several years before that. It’s too bad because back in the day that place kicked ass. Just like bw-3. 

Speaking of the Bravo near campus, it’s next door to a Champps store which is another chain I used to love but which went to hell and I stopped going to years ago. They’re right next to a theater and I used to love stopping in for a bite to eat and a cocktail before going to see a movie. I was dining at their store on the north side of town the night in 2001 when Jim Tressel was introduced as the new football coach during the OSU-Michigan basketball game. My dad and I also used to dine at the campus location with some regularity but we stopped going there some years before he passed because they’d gone downhill. We probably stopped eating at Champps before we stopped eating at Bravo. 

• 1 month later...

Just looked at my previous post.  The freezer guy in Euless did not work out, so I reversed the process, shopped dry goods in Texas and shopped frozen/fridge stuff in Anchorage.  Anchorage had Texas-low prices; $2.99 per pound for 80/20 ground beef, and 6 pounds frozen chicken breast for $12.99.  I purchased 30 pounds of chicken breast, 9 pounds of ground beef, plenty of cheese, etc.  and one 48 ounce container of ice cream. Managed to get some breakfast sausage.  Always got to have the ice cream.  Now to conquer Amazon; 5 pounds of peanut butter should ship in the next couple of days.    

just to kind of document how this all went down, it was really, really weird.  Here I was in the semi-bad  airport part of Anchorage, at a sleazy motel only because of the walk-in freezer and of course the walk-in freezer was fabulous!  A container on the property.  Next time I attempt this move I will call the motel and ask if I can just rent the freezer for two nights.  There are some other motels in the area better, but they don't have nearly the freezer space the America's Best does.  I ended up buying slightly too much frozen food in Anchorage, so I put 7 pounds of the least desirable frozen food in my carry-on.  It worked, because the two day housing I stayed at in Kotzebue had a traditional freezer on top of the refrigerator for the 7 pounds.   I had already arranged for the local air taxi to store the two totes of frozen food. All good, until I arrived at my school housing, where I stupidly expected the school to put the freezer I had purchased in May inside my apartment unit.  No dice.  Vast amount of frozen food did fit inside the freezer on top of the fridge in the apt. while I waited the two or three days to get the freezer in the unit.  The 7 or so pounds of frozen veggies stayed in the fridge section, so I don't anticipate problems.  They will be eaten first.  

Bottom line the project worked, but I need to do better.  The only semi-casualty was the lid coming off the ice cream, which lost an inch or so off the top of ice cream onto the rest of the frozen items.  I should have anticipated that, will next time.  I anticipate I will not need to make a real order this fall.  Hopefully if COVID allows travel I will only need to travel back through Anchorage in December and repeat the process.  I can take a chance on the Holiday Inn Express having enough freezer space.  I know they have one large chest freezer, which in reality should be enough.  It's just not the same as a walk in freezer.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MoJames said:
On 7/26/2018 at 1:54 AM, Dutchrudder said:
Does anyone actually go to Jack in The box on purpose?

This was my 2am stop in school. Double meat bacon cheese burger, curly fries, 2 tacos, large Dr Pepper.

For me it was the bacon ultimate cheeseburger, curly fries, 2 tacos, and oreo milkshake.  Maybe 8,000 calories in one meal?  10,000?  Oh to be young again.  Of course the shake machine was "broken" about 80% of the time so that saved me from myself quite often.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Just looked at my previous post.  The freezer guy in Euless did not work out, so I reversed the process, shopped dry goods in Texas and shopped frozen/fridge stuff in Anchorage.  Anchorage had Texas-low prices; $2.99 per pound for 80/20 ground beef, and 6 pounds frozen chicken breast for $12.99.  I purchased 30 pounds of chicken breast, 9 pounds of ground beef, plenty of cheese, etc.  and one 48 ounce container of ice cream. Managed to get some breakfast sausage.  Always got to have the ice cream.  Now to conquer Amazon; 5 pounds of peanut butter should ship in the next couple of days.    

just to kind of document how this all went down, it was really, really weird.  Here I was in the semi-bad  airport part of Anchorage, at a sleazy motel only because of the walk-in freezer and of course the walk-in freezer was fabulous!  A container on the property.  Next time I attempt this move I will call the motel and ask if I can just rent the freezer for two nights.  There are some other motels in the area better, but they don't have nearly the freezer space the America's Best does.  I ended up buying slightly too much frozen food in Anchorage, so I put 7 pounds of the least desirable frozen food in my carry-on.  It worked, because the two day housing I stayed at in Kotzebue had a traditional freezer on top of the refrigerator for the 7 pounds.   I had already arranged for the local air taxi to store the two totes of frozen food. All good, until I arrived at my school housing, where I stupidly expected the school to put the freezer I had purchased in May inside my apartment unit.  No dice.  Vast amount of frozen food did fit inside the freezer on top of the fridge in the apt. while I waited the two or three days to get the freezer in the unit.  The 7 or so pounds of frozen veggies stayed in the fridge section, so I don't anticipate problems.  They will be eaten first.  

Bottom line the project worked, but I need to do better.  The only semi-casualty was the lid coming off the ice cream, which lost an inch or so off the top of ice cream onto the rest of the frozen items.  I should have anticipated that, will next time.  I anticipate I will not need to make a real order this fall.  Hopefully if COVID allows travel I will only need to travel back through Anchorage in December and repeat the process.  I can take a chance on the Holiday Inn Express having enough freezer space.  I know they have one large chest freezer, which in reality should be enough.  It's just not the same as a walk in freezer.  

interesting following this.  are you doing research in selawik, what brings you there?

On 8/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, Hook1997 said:

@orangecat92.  That’s some dedication to teaching there.  How about during winter do you have the sun lamps or anything for when it’s going to be dark all day?   How cold are we talking it getting during the winter?  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Ordered a happy light from amazon the other day.   Supposed to arrive around Sept.3, which means it will arrive by October 1 at the latest.  I researched the cold temps in the spring.  lowest temp in December 2020 was -30.  Lowest in January 21,  -40.    They had a blizzard here in April.  

I told people I brought the Texas heat a couple of weeks ago, when everybody was crying because of the 81 degree heat.  No A/C up here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Special Education Teacher

The obvious joke is:  takes one to know one, eh?

The legit response is:  you are true to your craft and a steely-eyed teacher-man for going to these personal lengths as an educator. Well done, sir. You crazy sunuvabitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Do you know what the worst fucking tastes like lean rotten donkey meat thing out there is? It's Wendy's fucking grilled chicken. It's putrid. I don't think it's chicken. How can you make a grilled chicken 'breast' taste so bad? Especially when it's not even probably a breast, it's probably dark meat parts. My fucking god. I can still taste that thing a week later and it's gag inducing. Go try one, I dare you. No sauce, take the bun and the lettuce and tomato off and just bite that fucker and tell me they shouldn't be paying you for participating in a stage 3 clinical trial. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't think it's chicken. How can you make a grilled chicken 'breast' taste so bad?

Easy. After you harvest the chicken breasts to sell as chicken breasts, you take all the leftover bits of meat and cartilage and connective tissue, cook it in a chemical bath, and add a bunch of corn by-products to create what is commonly known as pink slime. Same thing they use to make chicken nuggets. Then you extrude it through a metal die to simulate actual muscle fiber so the rubes won’t be able to tell the difference between your processed fake meat and the real thing.

Chicken nuggets aren’t chicken. Boneless wings are nuggets. Every Marie Callender’s frozen chicken product is processed, fake chicken. 

On 7/31/2020 at 3:23 PM, orangecat92 said:

no dice, dude.  3.4 oz is next to nothing.  Apple pie was a great choice, because it was good as either a dessert or breakfast.   The whoppers and pie covered dinner, breakfast and a good snack.  Not bad for $10.  I can go lower on price, but will have to spend time cooking.   Good challenge, though.  I spent $30 total during a 21 hour flight.  Will go for less $ next time. 

Jam and Jelly

Peanut Butter

You make the PB&Js before you leave the house, dumbass.  No wonder our education system is going to shit.