How Is That Chain Still Open?

Arby's. If I want to eat old meat flaps with horseradish sauce I will go down on an elderly prostitute and probably pay less.

Subway. Always mediocre or less, now I think only of Jared diddling kids. 

Popeye's. How the mighty have fallen. All that's worth ordering now is the beans and rice. Not much meat on the chicken these days, and the spicy is bland. 

Captain D's, Long John Silver: This has been a mystery for me for decades now. 

Burger King: Has no identity, no niche. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Arby's. If I want to eat old meat flaps with horseradish sauce I will go down on an elderly prostitute and probably pay less.

Burger King: Has no identity, no niche. 

Hold my pickle.

• Like 2

Chilis

Olive Garden

Both are like raiding the frozen aisles at your local grocery store.  Meh, at best with zero personality in the food.  Total dogshit for the price.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Applebee's

I worked at 8 different restaurants in my youth, ranging in price from Waffle House to an upscale seafood place. Applebee's was the only place I worked where I would not eat anything even if it was free.  

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Chilis

Olive Garden

Both are like raiding the frozen aisles at your local grocery store.  Meh, at best with zero personality in the food.  Total dogshit for the price.

Drove by the Chili's on North Lamar & 45th last night and it's packed as usual.  It's not like you're stuck in suburban hell with only chains to choose from. You intentionally drove past legitimately good restaurants to go to Chili's.

• Like 1

Ahh, Arby's.

Past threads have gone like, "nothing wrong with Arby's vs. other fast food dumps. The sauces are great, the fake meat product might be plastic but it tastes good and you betcher ass I'll eat one every now and then, and those piggytail curly fries are damn good."

Which I all agree with.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 4

Most of the fast food chains are fine.  They are what they are- cheap food with enough fat and flavor to fill you up.  But the mid-priced chains mentioned above-Applebee’s, Olive Garden, Chili’s, El Torito, etc- those are all abominations.  

Weinerschnitzel - never seen anyone there at the Austin location. Been there once. It seemed like the Short Stop of hot dogs (5 hot dogs for $5, etc)

A&W - same thing. Never see anyone there. Sells hamburgers, I guess. Why would I go there?

+1 on Taco Bell...in Texas.  I get NYC, but Texas?

I also have no idea why anyone would go to McDonald's, Burger King, JITB, etc... in a state that has Whataburger and, for you fanbois, In and Out.

As far as restaurants go, I'm always surprised at the Chili's, Applebee's, etc. crowd that, not only pay for crappy food, but are also crammed into a place with about 2 square feet of room.

8 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

I love Taco Bell. Its my favorite fast-food. They serve more than just tacos. Fuel City isn't serving a quesarito or a mexican pizza. And bring back the damn 7-layer burrito and frito burito, damnit/

You can get the 7 layer burrito whether it is listed on the menu or not.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, po elvis said:

fan of arby's. fan of jack in the box. but probably eat at each of them twice a year, so yeah, not sure how they stay in business. actually the arby's near me closed down.

My JITB consumption is limited to sober-up meals after Sunday night football in the fall. Two tacos a Jumbo Jack with cheese and off to sleep.

I like Arby's a couple times a year. 

I think Subway manages to thrive because people that don't know any better just accept Subway's declaration that they are the healthy alternative when you're eating on the go.

All chains on this thread manage to stay open oftentimes because of their location, but as stated above---there are some chains that fucking blow me away how well they do even though they are surrounded by much better, local restaurants. 

I used to sober up at McDonalds, but they recently installed those kiosks.

Now I know every fucking body on Surly thinks a touch-screen kiosk is heaven. Lemme tell you what I saw:

Old People pawing at the touchscreen with the same fingers they use to scratch the rash under their Depends (the old people loved that damn screen, go figure), and Fat-Ass Little Kids slapping their wet-booger paws all over the touchscreen like a potter at the wheel, if pottery were made from fired snot instead of clay.

Now I realize this probably pales in filth compared to the food prep area, but I snapped. I haven't been back. I figure I should just drink less.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I look at Chilis, Applebees, TGIF, etc as just extensions of fast food.  They are family friendly and you are generally in and out pretty quick.  Chilis burgers are okay to me.  I'd say a step above fast food.  Not somewhere I would want to be on a Friday night, but if you are on the road or for lunch or something.  It's only a positive experience if there is no wait, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Long John Silver’s

Also never understood how Taco Bell thrives in Texas. We have amazing tacos everywhere and for cheap late night there is Taco Cabana.

i can't get 5 lbs of food for $3.58 at taco cabana.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I like Arby's a couple times a year. 

I think Subway manages to thrive because people that don't know any better just accept Subway's declaration that they are the healthy alternative when you're eating on the go.

All chains on this thread manage to stay open oftentimes because of their location, but as stated above---there are some chains that fucking blow me away how well they do even though they are surrounded by much better, local restaurants. 

Subway is such a give-up option. It's like declaring "I don't really want to be alive, but to sustain my pointless existence for another day I guess I'll eat Subway so I don't starve."

• Like 3