How Is That Chain Still Open?

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I travel throughout Texas. A lot. There’s been plenty of times where my last 6 meals have been 1) Whataburger and 2) eaten in my car. Everyone needs a change of pace sometimes.

giphy.gif

Well, that's when you get the Monterrey chicken strip sandwich rather than your usual #4.

Seriously, man--what the fuck's wrong with you?  It's like I don't even know you sometimes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Krispy Krunchy Cajun chicken (found in gas stations only) is the best gas station chicken, and actually rivals Popeyes. Disagree with me, and I will fight you.

You won't fight me bro, my name is not cholesterol

• Haha 2

Ever have to hurriedly crumple up and hide an empty Whataburger bag in your car, before you get to the Whataburger drive-thru window? 

The boss move is to hand the cashier your previous Whataburger bag to toss in the trash. It’s like recycling - it’s science.
giphy.gif
Well, that's when you get the Monterrey chicken strip sandwich rather than your usual #4.

Seriously, man--what the fuck's wrong with you?  It's like I don't even know you sometimes.

I’m underwhelmed by the Monterrey chicken sammich. You know this. And when I need to mix it up when hitting drive throughs, you know I like to find someplace with boudin balls. Like Krispy Krunchy Chicken.

12 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Popeye's. How the mighty have fallen. All that's worth ordering now is the beans and rice. Not much meat on the chicken these days, and the spicy is bland.

I still like Popeye's. I know why Subway remains in business but it's absolutely terrible.

I'll vote for Smoothie King. They just put one on the corner of Lovers/Inwood in Dallas just west of the Park Cities and there's never anybody in there. Oddly enough it replaced a Jack in the Box.

If I ever knew that, I'd managed to forget it.  It's a polite thing to forget the shortcomings of one's friends and remember only the positives.

I must be impolite, because I recall all of your shortcomings. I mean, the ones I know about...I’m sure your wife hasn’t told me everything.

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

giphy.gif

Blondie just came over the mere mention of the Monterrey Chicken Strip Sandwich. 

How fucking fat are you that you pick up a whataburger, eat it en route to the next whataburger up the road and eat it again?

You grabbed a Whataburger breakfast after your plane landed and you headed to meeting/hearing #1. Then you have to head to another town for meeting #2, and you grab Whataburger for lunch. Or the combo is a rushed lunch, then dinner while driving. So, there’s a pause between meals. But it does get old.

You grabbed a Whataburger breakfast after your plane landed and you headed to meeting/hearing #1. Then you have to head to another town for meeting #2, and you grab Whataburger for lunch. Or the combo is a rushed lunch, then dinner while driving. So, there’s a pause between meals. But it does get old.
Fuck that would be awesome.

34 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Cheddars has excellent onion rings and a big house margarita for pretty cheap.

This old guy doesn't go to McDonald's or any of the joints listed on the first page, so I know nothing about any touch screen to order shit.

You touch the glass sneeze screen at Luby's, don't you?   

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

They were big in Northern Virginia when I lived there in the 80s.  I was surprised to see one this past June in a strip mall in Louisiana off I-12.

re: Piccadilly Cafeteria:  I grew up going to the one in Houston in Memorial City.  The Salisbury steak was beyond reproach . . . when I was 6. 

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Drove by the Chili's on North Lamar & 45th last night and it's packed as usual.  It's not like you're stuck in suburban hell with only chains to choose from. You intentionally drove past legitimately good restaurants to go to Chili's.

Not really much of an excuse in the burbs anymore either. Plenty of good independent restaurants and local chains like jack Allen’s, hopdoddy, torchys, etc.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

re: Piccadilly Cafeteria:  I grew up going to the one in Houston in Memorial City.  The Salisbury steak was beyond reproach . . . when I was 6. 

All I remember was going there after church before the Cowboys played in mid 90's. It was always there or Steal and Ale.

Cheddars has excellent onion rings and a big house margarita for pretty cheap.
This old guy doesn't go to McDonald's or any of the joints listed on the first page, so I know nothing about any touch screen to order shit.

But I bet you went to the Capital Plaza McDonalds in 1962...back when it was good.

A friend from Australia just posted this. A half dozen of his buddies chimed in that it has the best fajitas on the planet. WTF.

beaa40ea4a7d4805580099197d664003.png

I don’t know Australia, but I do know brazil (and have read about this kind of thing in other places). A lot of chain food in other countries is better quality than in the US and usually offer food that is similar to local taste and culture. The only time I have ever eaten at Applebee’s was in Brazil. And I fought tooth and nail not to go, but several of us have kids and they had a play area. Fine. I ordered a typical grilled meat plate found in Brazil. It sucked compared to what you can find in an actual Brazilian restaurant, but way better than you would find in an American chili’s or something similar.

When I first started dating my wife when I lived there, we went to a TGI Friday’s. We ordered some nachos. Absolutely the worst nachos I have ever had. Worse than the cheap ones you get at games.

Yeah well, Truck stops(Autogrill) in Italy have better food than 99% of American chain restaurants.  Some of it looks plain and simple, but it legit kicks ass.

Simple question, why can't we have these in the US?

mj-618_348_why-autogrills-are-the-best-p

panini.jpg

p01hvpbl.jpgpizza-w-autogrill-milano.jpg

italian-fast-food-autogrill-4-1.jpg

Took my kid to Magic Time Machine up in Addison about 5 years ago after her first day of Kindergarten and it still goes down as the worst meal I've ever had in my life. The meal I had there about 15 years was probably second worst.  I've got no idea how that shit hole stays open.

LOL.  Growing up, this was one of those magic places that we never went to because we were the poors.  When I moved my own family back to DFW last summer, this was one of the first places I was going to take them.  Looked it up online, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a place so completely destroyed by reviews.

Another disappointment (and place I always wanted to visit as a kid) - was called Trailhouse Steakhouse.  I think that's the name.  Place where they cut your tie off or somesuch.  It's closed now.  

Took my kid to Magic Time Machine up in Addison about 5 years ago after her first day of Kindergarten and it still goes down as the worst meal I've ever had in my life. The meal I had there about 15 years was probably second worst.  I've got no idea how that shit hole stays open.
I agree. My office is next to this place and the parking lot is always packed. I took my kids there once and will never return.

2 hours ago, Loco said:

Yeah well, Truck stops(Autogrill) in Italy have better food than 99% of American chain restaurants.  Some of it looks plain and simple, but it legit kicks ass.

Simple question, why can't we have these in the US?

mj-618_348_why-autogrills-are-the-best-p

panini.jpg

p01hvpbl.jpgpizza-w-autogrill-milano.jpg

italian-fast-food-autogrill-4-1.jpg

I went to this place in Oklahoma when I was a kid, so there's that.

OKVINmcd.jpg

33 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:
13 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I agree. My office is next to this place and the parking lot is always packed. I took my kids there once and will never return.

Same. Office is down the street and that damn place stays packed. Super shitty food. Also that T.G.I. Fridays stays packed as well. 

Subway survives because they have dick for overhead, and they're fucking everywhere.  You can be in the middle of buttfuck Nebraska, and that exit is going to have Subway.  There's nothing more than mediocre about it, but I'll stop there because I can get a much higher volume of food per calorie than McDonald's.  A 600 calorie turkey footlong will fill me up, and I won't feel like dying.  600 calories at McDonald's is half the amount of food, plus violent stomach craps in 60 miles.

Arby's is alright.  It's fake meat, but the curly fries are legit.

I've personally never understood why McDonald's is so popular.  It's a worse burger than literally every other fast food place and the fries are wildly overrated.  The value menu is the only attraction.  Same with Taco Bell.  Just fucking garbage, but it's cheap garbage.

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Applebee’s is usually open very late, which makes them popular with local industry folks.

I ate at Applebees once in my life.  Last year at Wichita Falls on the way back from Colorado.  It was the only place open at 10 pm.  It was not that bad.

Subway survives because they have dick for overhead, and they're fucking everywhere.  You can be in the middle of buttfuck Nebraska, and that exit is going to have Subway.  There's nothing more than mediocre about it, but I'll stop there because I can get a much higher volume of food per calorie than McDonald's.  A 600 calorie turkey footlong will fill me up, and I won't feel like dying.  600 calories at McDonald's is half the amount of food, plus violent stomach craps in 60 miles.

Arby's is alright.  It's fake meat, but the curly fries are legit.

I've personally never understood why McDonald's is so popular.  It's a worse burger than literally every other fast food place and the fries are wildly overrated.  The value menu is the only attraction.  Same with Taco Bell.  Just fucking garbage, but it's cheap garbage.

You're nuts. McDonalds fries are crack. Their coke is the goat. Their burger patties are covered with onion and big mac sauce taste so who cares there. You're putting fast food on a pedestal

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You're nuts. McDonalds fries are crack. Their coke is the goat. Their burger patties are covered with onion and big mac sauce taste so who cares there. You're putting fast food on a pedestal

Big Mac sauce?  Fuck that shit.  Thousand Island needs to die in a fire.  Ketchup + mayo is hell.  Pure hell.