How Is That Chain Still Open?

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Pancho's Mexican Buffet. Raise that flag.

I haven't eaten at a Pancho's in at least 15+ years, and even then, it was on a road trip to go fishing or something like that.

I would eat at one now....but it would totally be a macho on-a-dare kinda thing.  Except for the sopapillas.  Would still smash those.

23 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Not sure what Popeye's locations some of you are going to but the last two I went to sucked ass. Chicken was over cooked and greasy as hell.

Cedar park and Round Rock on 1431.

I will never go back.

I have had better chicken at the gas station.

i really only have the one in Westlake to go by in the last couple years because its close to my office, but yeah - its a travesty

pygmy chicken pieces 

side dishes are like 1.25 ounces

store is dirty as fuck.  i mean, i know its a fast food joint but it needs to look like you've done basic cleaning of the tables, floors, etc. within the last ... month?

rude as fuck employees

half the time the order is fucked up.  where are the pickled japs that i ordered and paid for, how am i supposed to get my spicy yardbird on proper without 3-4 japs, no offense

i remember there was one on anderson lane years ago that i would go to and never remember any of these issues

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I haven't eaten at a Pancho's in at least 15+ years, and even then, it was on a road trip to go fishing or something like that.

I would eat at one now....but it would totally be a macho on-a-dare kinda thing.  Except for the sopapillas.  Would still smash those.

I ate in one on my first visit to Dallas back in the 80s. A little central-casting cowboy in the tray line told me how to work the flag to get more food. Other than him and me, everybody in there looked like they'd just rolled in from the Yucatan and were feeding their kids enough to make it another week. Food tasted like Taco Casa. I was young, I ate several plates.

Only other time was once in Waco. Whatever happened on that visit, I have blocked it out.

There is a chain called Garfield's Restaurant and Pub that is in a small mall in the next county. We wandered in once on a drive and enjoyed it. An Applebee's clone, there was nothing to complain about, food was decent for price, server was friendly. We liked it and stop by there when we're out that way.

I guess what fascinates me is that sitting inside the place is like being inside an alternate earth where it's not too far past the 1980s and this is a giant chain. I looked them up, once they had 40+ locations, targeting small town malls. Now you can go to their web site and almost see the lights going out in real time. They are down to a couple of places in Alabama and Mississippi, and several more scattered across the midwest. Like, 7 total.

Inside the restaurant we go to, they put on a brave face, and decorate the wall with a list of their locations, none within an easy drive of here. Zanesville Ohio! "We went through Zanesville once when I was a child," says Mrs. Canecutter, "There was a dead rat outside our motel room."

Zanesville location is dead now.

All I can figure is that people who wanted to open an Applebees franchise in the 1980s but who failed to qualify, opened up a Garfield's.

I doubt the local one will be around much longer. That little mall has lost two of three anchor stores.

14 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Took my kid to Magic Time Machine up in Addison about 5 years ago after her first day of Kindergarten and it still goes down as the worst meal I've ever had in my life. The meal I had there about 15 years was probably second worst.  I've got no idea how that shit hole stays open.

Absolutely agree.  That place is fucking terrible and the restaurant itself is filthy.

12 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Cheddar's was the shit when they had the monte cristo

Got dragged to Cheddar's the other night and it's on their menu and I thought, how could they screw that up?   Well they fucking did.  Way too much batter and it was undercooked and greasy as fuck.  Just made me miss the hell out of Bennigan's Monte Cristo.  Now that was a thing of excellence.

• Like 1

Mcdonalds is the worst franchise and I can't even begin to comprehend how it still exists. If you pick up ground beef from the store and cook yourself a hamburger it doesn't even come close to resembling the slop of shit that McDonald's passes off as a hamburger. I haven't ate a McDonalds burger in over 5 years, but they always ran out of me 15 to 20 minutes after eating one. Their McFish sandwiches are disgusting they're essentially fish byproducts ground up and frozen into blocks then passed off to the consumer as healthy fish. The Chicken McNuggets are essentially chicken leftovers they don't even have the texture of real chicken. I wish Mcdonalds would disappear the world be better off without it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Big Mac sauce?  Fuck that shit.  Thousand Island needs to die in a fire.  Ketchup + mayo is hell.  Pure hell.

there's no tomato in big mac sauce.  it's basically mayo, pickle relish, and mustard.  the color comes from turmeric. 

eaten at applebee's twice.  once in collie station because that's what the girl wanted, and once in denton because they'd cover the drinking club fee. 

Mcdonalds is the worst franchise and I can't even begin to comprehend how it still exists. If you pick up ground beef from the store and cook yourself a hamburger it doesn't even come close to resembling the slop of shit that McDonald's passes off as a hamburger. I haven't ate a McDonalds burger in over 5 years, but they always ran out of me 15 to 20 minutes after eating one. Their McFish sandwiches are disgusting they're essentially fish byproducts ground up and frozen into blocks then passed off to the consumer as healthy fish. The Chicken McNuggets are essentially chicken leftovers they don't even have the texture of real chicken. I wish Mcdonalds would disappear the world be better off without it.
Nothing about their fries/coke tho.

Actually their grilled artisan chicken sandwiches have become a staple

15 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Took my kid to Magic Time Machine up in Addison about 5 years ago after her first day of Kindergarten and it still goes down as the worst meal I've ever had in my life. The meal I had there about 15 years was probably second worst.  I've got no idea how that shit hole stays open.

What the heck. One does not go to Magic Time Machine for the food, one goes for the atmosphere. You can't beat a salad served out of a shiny red 1952 MG-TD Roadster.

Also, those cheese croutons, holey crap.

We were in MGT one time in SA, and there was a dude there by himself at a table.  Looked like he was on some sort of business trip or something. Now that's f'in creepy - going to MGT by yourself.

16 hours ago, dcbc said:

re: Piccadilly Cafeteria:  I grew up going to the one in Houston in Memorial City.  The Salisbury steak was beyond reproach . . . when I was 6. 

We had a Piccadilly Cafeteria and a Morrison's Cafeteria. Was a sad day in our family when the Morrison's, right across the street from our church, closed down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

there's no tomato in big mac sauce.  it's basically mayo, pickle relish, and mustard.  the color comes from turmeric. 

eaten at applebee's twice.  once in collie station because that's what the girl wanted, and once in denton because they'd cover the drinking club fee. 

Still disgusting.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Pancho's Mexican Buffet. Raise that flag.

I waited tables at Pappasito's in Austin during the late 90's. Paid my way through Texas thanks to them and Outback. Anyway, one morning pre-shift meeting at Sito's, we have the GM come in to talk to us, and he's all pumped about the day and shit, and he asks us enthusiastically "If you could change or add one thing to our restaurant to improve the experience, what would it be?!?". Me being the Gen X dickhead that I was, I raise my hand and he calls on me first. I offer up "I think we should add a flag to the table and allow customers to raise it just like at Pancho's". He lost his shit, yanked me out of the room and sent me home for the day. Fuck it, I thought it was funny, but I was happy not to be fired.

Anyway, my roommate and I then went and ate lunch at Pancho's on Oltorf in homage to my dickheadery and the deliciousness of the trash food that was the Pancho's buffet.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I waited tables at Pappasito's in Austin during the late 90's. Paid my way through Texas thanks to them and Outback. Anyway, one morning pre-shift meeting at Sito's, we have the GM come in to talk to us, and he's all pumped about the day and shit, and he asks us enthusiastically "If you could change or add one thing to our restaurant to improve the experience, what would it be?!?". Me being the Gen X dickhead that I was, I raise my hand and he calls on me first. I offer up "I think we should add a flag to the table and allow customers to raise it just like at Pancho's". He lost his shit, yanked me out of the room and sent me home for the day. Fuck it, I thought it was funny, but I was happy not to be fired.

Anyway, my roommate and I then went and ate lunch at Pancho's on Oltorf in homage to my dickheadery and the deliciousness of the trash food that was the Pancho's buffet.

Not one thing about this story surprises me.  At all.  ;)

• Like 1

There are at least three separate chains called "Taco Casa", centered in Texas, Ohio, and Alabama.

From what I see on their websites, the food looks like "Mexico Day!" in a North Dakota high school cafeteria, Class of 1972.

http://tacocasatexas.com/

http://tacocasacinti.com/

http://www.tacocasa.com/

There may be more. The search continues.

• Like 1