How Is That Chain Still Open?

Apparently Chili's talk is not going away.

I started eating at the Westheimer Carillon Chili's immediately after college in '82. We officed around the corner and probably ate there at least twice a week. Yep, the tacos were great, the burgers were great (and they would serve them rare). Aside from the OTC and Chili's Trip, they had what they called an Alpine Burger with Mushrooms, Swiss and Avocado.

And really really cold mugs.

I went back to one last year for the first time in twenty and it was not the same.

<sigh> 

Last time I went to a Chili's a couple of years ago, they still had really cold mugs and really cold beer.  The variety wasn't great, their best was a Sam Adams seasonal I think, but it was really, really cold, and I appreciated that.

7 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

You ordered steak at the shitty version of TGI Friday’s?

Unfortunately, yes. Travel, late, next to hotel, and one of the few things on the menu that sort of went along with my diet plan at that time. Not because I thought I'd get a good steak.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Reasonably priced flame-grilled burger with fresh stuff on it, served in a clean restaurant by fast friendly people.

Not to be underestimated, Dude.

On 8/2/2018 at 1:40 AM, elfenix said:

can't remember the last time i had burger king.  maybe college?  i was tempted to go because the whopper neutrality explainer/ad was so genius, but the nearest one closed.

11th and shepherd?

do they own the one on 610/yale that cut up their oak trees like they were crepe myrtles (not that crepe myrtles should be butchered, but lots of people do it every spring)

The only time in my life where I can say I got depressed in an unhealthy way and was ashamed of myself was about 4 years ago. I was starving and in a hurry and pulled into the 610/Yale Burger King.  It was a simple order of a whopper with cheese, fries and a coke. I usually broke down and went to a BK about once a year for one reason or another. I knew I was partaking in a grim personal ritual. 

That meal, however, was worse. It’s like they cooked the fries in depression. I felt like I was going to start sweating meat. My stomach legitimately hurt. I started to get really sad about random shit and things on my to do list. This was all almost immediate. I’ve never pondered heading to one sense and I consider it easily the worst meal of my life and that includes the time in high school when I was eating TCBY and my girlfriend told me she was pregnant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only time in my life where I can say I got depressed in an unhealthy way and was ashamed of myself was about 4 years ago. I was starving and in a hurry and pulled into the 610/Yale Burger King.  It was a simple order of a whopper with cheese, fries and a coke. I usually broke down and went to a BK about once a year for one reason or another. I knew I was partaking in a grim personal ritual. 
That meal, however, was worse. It’s like they cooked the fries in depression. I felt like I was going to start sweating meat. My stomach legitimately hurt. I started to get really sad about random shit and things on my to do list. This was all almost immediate. I’ve never pondered heading to one sense and I consider it easily the worst meal of my life and that includes the time in high school when I was eating TCBY and my girlfriend told me she was pregnant.

Difficult to fap to this.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Username checks out.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:20 PM, TornACL said:

Man how fucking fat are you that your order at Taco Bell costs 12 fucking dollars.

lulz, mine was $12 yesterday at Taco Bell...fat???  6'  160lbs.

huge tapeworm?

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 7/27/2018 at 10:07 AM, Coyote said:

False. Their coke is better than other fast food coke. Syrup to carbonation ratio is different.

I read an article a few weeks back about McD's soft drink process.  How they use different types of syrup containainers etc, all lines are refrigerated etc so it would taste better.   Wish I had paid closer attention to it now.,   But have to agree McD's cokes are da bomb.

18 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I read an article a few weeks back about McD's soft drink process.  How they use different types of syrup containainers etc, all lines are refrigerated etc so it would taste better.   Wish I had paid closer attention to it now.,   But have to agree McD's cokes are da bomb.

the gulf oil next to fuel city tacos in dallas has the most consistent and best carbonation/water/syrup mixture in texas and therefore the world.  

17 hours ago, utee94 said:

Skillet queso is a guilty pleasure as well.  My sister worked for Chili's and then Brinker for several years, and can reproduce it exactly.

I'll pay you three internet dollars for the recipe.  That queso on the fries?  That's gotten me through so many shitty layovers in so many shitty airports.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

And then she told you the kid wasn't yours?

36 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

The waffle house in fort meyers beach disagrees with you. Itll take your breath away how pure it tastes

If you mean the one actually on the island, it's done and gone.  Not sure when, but I was there late May-early June and it's another restaurant now.

13 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

If you mean the one actually on the island, it's done and gone.  Not sure when, but I was there late May-early June and it's another restaurant now.

Oh its been 18 years...we stayed at a shitty Howard Johnson that was on the beach and the WH was across the street and down a few blocks 

14 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I went to Omaha for the cws years ago and all the locals suggested trying one. I passed.

I stopped at one on the way back to Omaha from Lincoln after getting the same recommendations, not only from locals but from Texas fans who had previously made the trip.

I threw it in the fucking garbage about halfway through. They should have called that place "Shittier Hot Pockets"

Sonic is kind of a mystery to me. Food doesn't suck, but the whole concept of spilling bug-bait all over the inside of your own car is odd. I got some good hotdogs there for a while, if you're into hotdogs.

If it's a nice day and you roll down the windows, some sumbitch pulls up  next to you and leaves his engine running while he listens to whatever underclass music matches his demographic.

Last time I was in one, server tried to Jedi Mind Trick me by claiming she didn't have change for cash. As if we're on Deep Space Nine and not in a Sonic in Podunk. Don't worry, child, I'll wait while you go get it.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'll never forget being in the parking lot of a WalMart that had a McDonalds inside.  I was parked and on the phone so I was sitting in the car.  This obese lady gets in her car across from me.  She opens her bag of McDonalds and proceeds to start woolfing it down.  Then she starts to sob uncontrollably.  She clearly was mortified at her own behavior, but was powerless to stop herself.  It was one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That meal, however, was worse. It’s like they cooked the fries in depression. I felt like I was going to start sweating meat. My stomach legitimately hurt. I started to get really sad about random shit and things on my to do list. This was all almost immediate.

My guess is that the fry cook was 200 lbs overweight which caused her to chafe and get ingrown hairs under her polyester BK uniform. So she's over there by the fryer, gets a chance to scratch, and really goes at it. Scratch scratch scratch under that waistline, up and down.

So then she flicks her fingernails clean over the grease, and off comes the usual dead skin cells, popped pus pimples and wiggly pubic hairs. And also a crumpled up estrogen patch. Down into the grease to cook.

That was probably the only time she ever did that. You can go back now.

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'll never forget being in the parking lot of a WalMart that had a McDonalds inside.  I was parked and on the phone so I was sitting in the car.  This obese lady gets in her car across from me.  She opens her bag of McDonalds and proceeds to start woolfing it down.  Then she starts to sob uncontrollably.  She clearly was mortified at her own behavior, but was powerless to stop herself.  It was one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed.

Vic would've moved in for the kill. 

• Like 5

On 8/3/2018 at 1:46 PM, thestud said:

Anybody mentioned Hooters yet? Currently stuck at the one in north Arlington because I’m a dumbass. Never let the redneck friend choose where to meet for lunch. Fuck me this place is terrible and depressing.

Their wings aren’t even that good and the girls sex appeal is lacking. 

My csb/ a few years ago my brothers and I went to the Hooters in downtown Dallas before a Stars game. Not only were the wings undercooked, bar t our waitress was pregnant and grotesque looking. Haven’t returned since.

My csb/ a few years ago my brothers and I went to the Hooters in downtown Dallas before a Stars game. Not only were the wings undercooked, bar t our waitress was pregnant and grotesque looking. Haven’t returned since.
Their fried pickles and fries are the best thing about them. Their wings are dry and hardly any flavor. Haven't been there in about 4 years.

3 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Meh.  I like breaded wings and prefer them over pretty much every chain any of you might name.  

The talent at the various Austin-based Hooters was always good.  I guess Dallas really does suck. 

• Like 2

I do like to mix in the breaded wings at Hooters. Their quality is very inconsistent, though.

Kids used to love going there when they were younger. Great kid’s menu with the owl bass puzzles. I got wings and beer and watched some noon NFL. Wife would get some chicken nuggets, everyone happy. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

You seem like you suck.  The End.

Don’t get mad at me. You’re the one that eventually has to explain to sweet, innocent, 8 pound baby Jesus that you prefer breaded wings. Then presumably explain other stuff you’ve done wrong in life...but surely none of it is quite to that scale.

• Like 1

So you hate fried chicken?  You think naked skinless grilled chicken is superior?  Lulz.

Yeah, tiny newborn baby Jesus, just come out of his mama's womb, knows that I am right and you are wrong.  That's what you get to explain.  You hate fried chicken.  Wow.

• Haha 1

The main thing that is wrong with Surly/Shaggy food thread is that there is a wrong/right argument. Believe it or not, I like to mix my burger places up. I like Whataburger, P Terry’s, and In n Out. They are all different burgers, and they are all delicious.

Chicken is the same way. I enjoy Chick-fil-a, Popeyes, Plucker’s wings (boneless and regular), Hooters, and many others. Get over yourselves.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, skipperj said:

The main thing that is wrong with Surly/Shaggy food thread is that there is a wrong/right argument. Believe it or not, I like to mix my burger places up. I like Whataburger, P Terry’s, and In n Out. They are all different burgers, and they are all delicious.

Chicken is the same way. I enjoy Chick-fil-a, Popeyes, Plucker’s wings (boneless and regular), Hooters, and many others. Get over yourselves.

Look, I thought we were having fun here. But P Terry’s AND In & Out? Boneless wings? I need a shower.

• Like 1

Count me in the pro-Chilis camp.  

Chips are unparalleled, beers are cold, plenty of TVs in the bar, several newspapers in the rack, decent burgers and fries at a reasonable price.  

I live in brewerytown USA.  It's nice to be able to get a cold bud light once in a while.