How Is That Chain Still Open?

3 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:
I've always wondered about the "International" part, too. I mean, how often have you gone there and marveled over the Pakistani waffles, Singaporean pancakes, Salvadoran bacon, or Tunisian poached eggs?

Do you not enjoy canadian bacon?

They serve French toast for Christ's sake! FRENCH!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Welcome to Panera Bread, can I get you half of an airport-display-case sandwich with a bowl of campbell's chicken noodle and a drink for $23? Because fuck you that's what you're getting. 

Panera Bread is the WORST. Thank you ztejas. thank you.

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

BWW has always been trash. 

I liked BWW in the early 2000's when I was still in high school and didn't know better.  Chicken wings were still cheap back then, too.

I'll occasionally still eat at one when it's the best option (once every couple of years), and damn if you don't get a small amount of mediocre food for a large sum of cash.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

22 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've always thought of Burger King as a yankee thing, like Pepsi.  I can't think of a single Texan I grew up with that ever ate at Burger King, or ever drank Pepsi.

I don't know what you throw under the "yankee" umbrella, but I've always thought Pepsi was a Southern white trash (so not necessarily Texas) kind of drink and BK was more popular on the coasts.  Growing up in Iowa fast food burgers were usually Hardee's (part of the Carl's Jr family), or Culver's.  There were a few BKs around (there was one real close to my old place in Des Moines that I'd hit up drunk when we got back from ISU games), but it was never popular and usually a choice born of convenience.  I prefer BK to McDonald's, but would take most other fast food burgers first.

Seems like Coke vastly outnumbers Pepsi as the go-to fountain pop here.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

On 8/29/2018 at 6:54 PM, CycleTex87 said:

CSB:  we had a big client meeting in Singapore with some Thais, Americans, and other nationalities.  Our local sales guy (American) chose to take us all out to eat on the wrap up night at...........Chilis.  Are you kidding me?  All the world class food in Singapore...

and this other time?  We were needing a quick lunch in Lima, Peru, and........Subway. 

I came to a meeting at Bear Stearns in Dallas, and they took us to California Pizza Kitchen

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know what you throw under the "yankee" umbrella, but I've always thought Pepsi was a Southern white trash (so not necessarily Texas) kind of drink and BK was more popular on the coasts.  Growing up in Iowa fast food burgers were usually Hardee's (part of the Carl's Jr family), or Culver's.  There were a few BKs around (there was one real close to my old place in Des Moines that I'd hit up drunk when we got back from ISU games), but it was never popular and usually a choice born of convenience.  I prefer BK to McDonald's, but would take most other fast food burgers first.

yankee is pretty much anything north of Dallas,for me. :) 

Pepsi is definitely not prevalent down here in Texico.  Coca Cola has traditionally been so ubiquitous down here that the generic word for a soft drink is... coke.  Not pop, or soda, or sodapop, or sody water.  Coke.

"Hey, I'm headed to the store, want anything?"

"Sure, could you get me a coke?"

"No problem, what kind?"

"Dr. Pepper."

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

yankee is pretty much anything north of Dallas,for me. :) 

Pepsi is definitely not prevalent down here in Texico.  Coca Cola has traditionally been so ubiquitous down here that the generic word for a soft drink is... coke.  Not pop, or soda, or sodapop, or sody water.  Coke.

"Hey, I'm headed to the store, want anything?"

"Sure, could you get me a coke?"

"No problem, what kind?"

"Dr. Pepper."

That's almost right. All soft drinks are cokes. Dr. Pepper is not a coke. It is specifically Dr. Pepper. At least it used to be that way.

I was sitting home last night trying to figure out what to do for dinner, so I started browsing GrubHub.  Who the fuck would GrubHub Red Lobster??!?!  I wouldn't even eat it at that shit at the restaurant, let alone 20-30 minutes later after it is eventually delivered to your house.  Thought it was hilarious to see Auntie Annie's, Great American Cookies, and other mall food offered on there as well.

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

That's almost right. All soft drinks are cokes. Dr. Pepper is not a coke. It is specifically Dr. Pepper. At least it used to be that way.

Not where I grew up, which is Austin, Texas.  Everything's a coke.  

I was born and raised in Austin. If we wanted a Dr. Pepper, that's what we asked for. If we asked for a coke, the waitress replied, "What flavor, hon'?"
Of course, that was almost always at The Stallion, circa 1975.
Man what a revelation. Who would've thought asking for a certain pop will get you that certain pop.

I always get dr peppers when I ask for them too.

And yes its pop, cletus.

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Man what a revelation. Who would've thought asking for a certain pop will get you that certain pop.

I always get dr peppers when I ask for them too.

And yes its pop, cletus.

Just saying Dr. Pepper was always it's own thing. Created in Texas, older than Coca-Cola. It got it's respect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Just saying Dr. Pepper was always it's own thing. Created in Texas, older than Coca-Cola. It got it's respect.

Goes great with a diablo sandwich, am I right? 

Edited by ztejas
No hushpuppies though, we ain't got time for that crap.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

I was born and raised in Austin. If we wanted a Dr. Pepper, that's what we asked for. If we asked for a coke, the waitress replied, "What flavor, hon'?"

Of course, that was almost always at The Stallion, circa 1975.

Yeah, it's probably just because you're really ancient.  By the time my very young arse came along, they were all cokes.  Even Dr. Pepper.  

Of course, that was almost always at 2-J's on Lamar, circa 1980. :)

However, I actually AM old enough to remember the Stallion.  I loved the jukebox selector at the table, and the CFS with yeller gravy.

17 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Growing up, we called drinks what they were, coke, pepsi, dr. pepper, mt dew, etc...

Yep never pop or soda though the grandparents would say soda water. It was always the brand of what we wanted. I don't think I've ever been asked what kind of Coke when ordering Coke in Texas, but I'm only 30 so maybe it was a think before the 90s.

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yep never pop or soda though the grandparents would say soda water. It was always the brand of what we wanted. I don't think I've ever been asked what kind of Coke when ordering Coke in Texas, but I'm only 30 so maybe it was a think before the 90s.

Wife has family in Michigan that call it pop, we get a kick hearing it. 

14 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's not so much a thing when you're at a restaurant ordering directly from a server, it's more of a thing when you're with your friends at a convenience store, and someone's running inside while the rest are waiting.  You don't ask them, "Hey, who would like a Coke or a Dr. Pepper or a Mountain Dew or a Sprite?" and you sure as hell don't ask them, "Who wants a pop?"

You say, "I'm gonna run in and grab some cokes, who wants one?"  And they reply, "I do, I'll take a Sprite."

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Pop, soda, sodapop.  All are hilarious.

• Like 1

I always found the “all sodas are cokes” think to be weird.  Why not just ask for what you want by name?   Just say sprite, Diet Coke, regular coke, etc.    why add the additional step and risk the chance you don’t what you want?   It’s like the guy in the movies who comes in says, “gimme a beer!”   Just be an adult and ask for the beverage you want by name.  

Back to chains—-someday, somebody tell me how Schlotzsky’s is still surviving 

12 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Wife has family in Scotland who call it "ginger." That came as a surprise the first time. And the second...

Edited by zlavydra

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Back to chains—-someday, somebody tell me how Schlotzsky’s is still surviving 

A couple of years after I moved to Knoxville, a Schlotzky's opened down the street from my place.  I'm pretty sure I kept that place in business ... until it closed.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Of course, that was almost always at 2-J's on Lamar, circa 1980. :)

My pops (no not my cokes) went to 2-J's for lunch practically every day. Walked there from his office on Lamar.  He'd walk in the door and they'd say, "It's coming right up, Pete!"  since he ordered the same thing every day.

CSB, RIP pops

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

B/K is actually a Florida thing which went national in the 60's.  

My former company was bought out by a company in Florida a few years ago and they sent some employees over here to "train" our staff and I swear I don't think they had ever been out of the state of Florida or at least west of Alabama.  The first thing they asked for when they got here was where is the nearest B/K?   My response is there are a few around, but let me introduce you to Whataburger first.   

3 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

I was sitting home last night trying to figure out what to do for dinner, so I started browsing GrubHub.  Who the fuck would GrubHub Red Lobster??!?!  I wouldn't even eat it at that shit at the restaurant, let alone 20-30 minutes later after it is eventually delivered to your house.  Thought it was hilarious to see Auntie Annie's, Great American Cookies, and other mall food offered on there as well.

Subway is on there and DoorDash. I always hope the person that orders Subway to be delivered gets run over by the delivery car. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

My former company was bought out by a company in Florida a few years ago and they sent some employees over here to "train" our staff and I swear I don't think they had ever been out of the state of Florida or at least west of Alabama.  The first thing they asked for when they got here was where is the nearest B/K?   My response is there are a few around, but let me introduce you to Whataburger first.   

My bias is that Texans overrate most things that come from Texas, but not Whataburger.  God damn it I love Whataburger.  Ive had better "fast food" burgers at places that were essentially drive ins, but no one even touches it on the scale Whataburger is operating on.  The quality is so far beyond all other high volume chains.

There should be a mandate that Whataburger exist in all Big 12 states.  I've literally never been to Texas and not had Whataburger.  Even during a 45 minute layover in Houston I snagged one for the plane. 

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah, I am older.  In Texas years ago, “Coke” was a generic term for any soft drink, much like “Xerox” described any copier or copying process. If you have to Google “Xerox,” you are too young to remember this ;)

• Like 1

My bias is that Texans overrate most things that come from Texas, but not Whataburger.  God damn it I love Whataburger.  Ive had better "fast food" burgers at places that were essentially drive ins, but no one even touches it on the scale Whataburger is operating on.  The quality is so far beyond all other high volume chains.

There should be a mandate that Whataburger exist in all Big 12 states.  I've literally never been to Texas and not had Whataburger.  Even during a 45 minute layover in Houston I snagged one for the plane. 

Fucking a this. Had my first whataburger in over 6 years on Monday. It was in Albuquerque so it wasn't the same aura as Texas but damned if my #2 didn't slam and go down hard. I hit up whataburger before I even check into my hotel. The 45 minute layover is elite status tho

I miss it already.

4b4de1f7645debf0ca26b52c49dc3238.jpg

• Like 1

Strange. What part of Florida are they from because there's probably 20 located between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

I still remember the look of devastation on my old man's face when we were going to eat at the whataburger by ucf just to find out all central Florida establishments were closed.

4 hours ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

Red Lobster biscuits are worth killing you over. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

No better sandwich chain than Dibella's but I'd kill for a Schlotzky's near where I live. 

Their buns are awesome. Their deli meats and cheeses are mediocre at best. They have a store a few blocks away from me but I never eat there because of that. I asked them once if they'd just sell me one of their fresh baked buns. They said they don't sell just the buns. Of course they don't. If they did then they'd just be a bakery and no one would buy their subs. 

9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Strange. What part of Florida are they from because there's probably 20 located between Jacksonville and Pensacola.

I still remember the look of devastation on my old man's face when we were going to eat at the whataburger by ucf just to find out all central Florida establishments were closed.

Miami.

Oh I know Whataburger has a presence in the northern part of the state.  In fact the new company that I acquired a franchise with has it's headquarters  in Jacksonville right across the street from a Whataburger.   

10 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The new corporate chiefs in Chicago may grant your wish....  

But hopefully not at the expense of the brand's reputation.