How Is That Chain Still Open?

On 8/2/2019 at 3:29 PM, Elvis Presto said:

I'm waiting patiently for the day we get a Chuys here in Charleston, SC.  Even a bad chuys would be 10x better than most the garbage they call texmex here. 

I think brisket man John Lewis is working on a texmex concept but he needs to hurry up.  

Rough. Greenville has the closest one to you. We were contemplating moving to Asheville for a while, so we looked up every Chuy's in the region. There are a few places in Chapel Hill that call themselves "Tex-Mex" but we'll just have to wait and see. Meanwhile, Chuy's in Cary will be 20 minutes away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
On 8/4/2019 at 2:50 PM, Junior Miller said:
I like Culver's a lot more than Whataburger. Their bacon and cheese butterburger combo with cheese curds instead of fries blows away anything Whataburger does. At least anything I've had a Whataburger which is damn near everything

This isnt true and you know it

Sure is. Had one today, the cheese curds alone are better than any side Whataburger does and the burger as easily as good if not a little better. The meat patty is thicker, the bacon is better.  The only thing that's better about Whataburger are there bun and ketchup. 

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Just split the whole chicken meal from Regio for the second time, that shit is real damn good. Mixing the rice, beans, & whatever sauces you prefer slams. 

Thanks for reminding me to take back the compliment for Pollo Loco. I've been a few times since and it's not good anymore.  Give it a year or two and that'll be one more halfway healthy ff joint that DFW spits out.

11 hours ago, spystud13 said:

We had a Pollo Tropical in west FW that didn’t make it 6 months, don’t think I’ve I’ve ever seen a Pollo Loco. 

bought taco cobano, rapidly expanded chicken place in texas, ruined both tacos, pulled chicken restaurant out of the state.

I like Culver's a lot more than Whataburger. Their bacon and cheese butterburger combo with cheese curds instead of fries blows away anything Whataburger does. At least anything I've had a Whataburger which is damn near everything

On 8/5/2019 at 12:38 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

This isnt true and you know it

You're both right. We lived for many years in Wisconsin (although I was raised in the south). The Culver's closest to our house was awesome. The company HQ is/was in Wisconsin, so perhaps they monitored for quality more frequently. When we moved to Texas, then it was Whataburger. Similar to Culver's, however, not all locations are the same w/respect to quality. So, we ate around until we found one that was reliable and good and that's where we go. My favorite fast food burger for years was Runza's though. No idea if they are still good.

I gotta give that Culver's down on William Cannon some credit.  It's been there for at least 20 years that I can recall.  Whenever I drive by, it seems to be filled up with crackheads, homeless, and ex members of Skinny Puppy.  But it's always full and buzzing like a Chick-Fil-A.  And they've been doing it long before that area was booming population-wise.  

20 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Haven't read the thread but...…...when is the last time you honestly stepped into a Grandy's? How did this place survive the 20th century?

I had a recent experience here in FW with Grandy's, and they sucked.  Chicken was not well cooked, chicken pieces were smaller than they used to be at Grandy's, and the rolls were doughy and undercooked.  Horrible experience. 

I went to one in East Texas at Thanksgiving, and they were outstanding.  Good chicken, larger pieces, rolls were amazing.  Very hot or miss with the franchisees. 

33 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I had a recent experience here in FW with Grandy's, and they sucked.  Chicken was not well cooked, chicken pieces were smaller than they used to be at Grandy's, and the rolls were doughy and undercooked.  Horrible experience. 

I went to one in East Texas at Thanksgiving, and they were outstanding.  Good chicken, larger pieces, rolls were amazing.  Very hot or miss with the franchisees. 

You went to a Grandy's for T-giving?  Thoughts and prayers.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

You're both right. We lived for many years in Wisconsin (although I was raised in the south). The Culver's closest to our house was awesome. The company HQ is/was in Wisconsin, so perhaps they monitored for quality more frequently. When we moved to Texas, then it was Whataburger. Similar to Culver's, however, not all locations are the same w/respect to quality. So, we ate around until we found one that was reliable and good and that's where we go. My favorite fast food burger for years was Runza's though. No idea if they are still good.

Now living in the MidWest, Culver's burger is closest to Whataburger's burger here and Steak and Shake is the closest for shakes. Hate Culver's custard shakes.

They do think I'm weird for telling them no mayo add mustard.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 12/6/2019 at 2:20 PM, Lobo said:

I gotta give that Culver's down on William Cannon some credit.  It's been there for at least 20 years that I can recall.  Whenever I drive by, it seems to be filled up with crackheads, homeless, and ex members of Skinny Puppy.  But it's always full and buzzing like a Chick-Fil-A.  And they've been doing it long before that area was booming population-wise.  

Rep for Ogre reference

Now living in the MidWest, Culver's burger is closest to Whataburger's burger here and Steak and Shake is the closest for shakes. Hate Culver's custard shakes.
They do think I'm weird for telling them no mayo add mustard.

I’ve always been team no mayo add mustard, and never had any guff.
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, spystud13 said:

Yeah, I was surprised a Cabana didn’t move into the failed Tropical location. It was a brand new buildout that is still vacant. 

Guess we don’t have Loco in FW yet. 

That's kinda funny because Pollo Tropical moved into a closed Taco Cabana location in Austin (Riverside/Lamar).  Pollo lasted less than a year, I think.  I think it was a former UT football player who owned it, but can't recall who.

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve always been team no mayo add mustard, and never had any guff.

They're too damn polite for actual guff, they just repeat it as a question while looking stunned.

Plus I'm around the breeding stock that stopped in Ohio, and thought 'I'm good', during Manifest Destiny.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

1 hour ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

They're too damn polite for actual guff, they just repeat it as a question while looking stunned.

Plus I'm around the breeding stock that stopped in Ohio, and thought 'I'm good', during Manifest Destiny.

I don't count Ohio as part of the Midwest anyhow.  Cleveland is closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Mississippi River.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:32 PM, immortal13 said:

Already mentioned, but I'd have to say Arby's. I never see but a car or two when I pass by an Arby's, and then I wonder wtf is wrong with those people.

The 5 for $5 was our go to post church meal growing up. I feel like 1 sandwich is $5 now and the quality of ingredients is worse too.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't count Ohio as part of the Midwest anyhow.  Cleveland is closer to the Atlantic Ocean than the Mississippi River.

Cleveland was part of New Connecticut that was awarded to those from Connecticut that served in the Revolution.  It is very New England-ish.  Cinci has a ton of southern influences from the river boat trade. People say Cinci is the Northern most Southern town while others say Lexington is the Southern most Northern town. The two cities are about 60 miles apart.   Eastern half of Ohio from Youngstown down is Appalachia. Columbus and west of there is very Midwest.

WhenI was learning geography Iowa was in the Great Plains. When did it get lumped in with the Midwest? 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

Cleveland was part of New Connecticut that was awarded to those from Connecticut that served in the Revolution.  It is very New England-ish.  Cinci has a ton of southern influences from the river boat trade. People say Cinci is the Northern most Southern town while others say Lexington is the Southern most Northern town. The two cities are about 60 miles apart.   Eastern half of Ohio from Youngstown down is Appalachia. Columbus and west of there is very Midwest.
WhenI was learning geography Iowa was in the Great Plains. When did it get lumped in with the Midwest? 

I think of the Great Plains north of Texas, along with Illinois and Wisconsin as the Midwest, and everything east of Chicago but west of the Appalachians as Great Lakes.

But that’s just my opinion. I guess it’s all Midwest? I just see Ohio as something different than Iowa or Nebraska.

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think of the Great Plains north of Texas, along with Illinois and Wisconsin as the Midwest, and everything east of Chicago but west of the Appalachians as Great Lakes.

But that’s just my opinion. I guess it’s all Midwest? I just see Ohio as something different than Iowa or Nebraska.

It's midwest.  From down here in Texico, you all look the same. :)

• Like 1

The one in Cedar Hill just south if Dallas is god awful too. The Arlington one shut down. What a fall from grace.

4 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

The 5 for $5 was our go to post church meal growing up. I feel like 1 sandwich is $5 now and the quality of ingredients is worse too.

That's funny. I think my first Arby's experience came while spending the afternoon after church at a friend's house when I was a kid. His dad brought a bunch of them for lunch. I'll bet it was the same deal. 

I thought they were pretty good. We didn't even have an Arby's in our little town of 2,000 so he had to bring them from the next town over. The last time I stopped at Arby's and waited to eat it until I drove the 5 miles back home, it was pretty bad. You've got to eat it right away. Don't even dream of keeping one in the fridge overnight and microwaving it hot the next day. 

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

All of this. 5 for $5 was bomb, but inflation etc. and then it was 5 juniors or Arby Melts for $5, then it was $5.55, then they canned the whole thing. Now they sell sliders (maybe for $1 each?), a junior is like $4 and a regular roast beef is closer to $6 each. $8-10 combo. You outkicked your coverage, Mr. Arby. 

9 hours ago, Deej said:

How is Weinersnitzel still open?

An all beef junkyard dog with a 6 pack of mini corndogs is greatness. Will go every couple of months or so. 

Another place I still go that probably no one else does any more is Quiznos. There somehow happens to still be one open by the house and on Fridays they have $5 Italian Subs. Love it. 

Get the Italian sub or turkey gyro from Arby’s. 

When was the last time anyone went to a Burger Street? 

+1 on the Italian sub. Damn good.

There is a burger street on mockingbird that’s been there forever. Hit it a few times over the years, better than the average fast food burger.

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

Another place I still go that probably no one else does any more is Quiznos. There somehow happens to still be one open by the house and on Fridays they have $5 Italian Subs. Love it. 

I’d eat at Quiznos over Subway in a heartbeat, but there isn’t one anywhere near me.

Ohio is a homogenization of the best of the Midwest, Rust Belt, Appalachia and the South.

4 hours ago, CBT said:

I used to go to burger street on midway occasionally.  It's a good solid greasy hamburger.

+1 on the Italian sub. Damn good.

There is a burger street on mockingbird that’s been there forever. Hit it a few times over the years, better than the average fast food burger.