How Is That Chain Still Open?

On 7/31/2019 at 1:43 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Pepsi is actually from coastal Carolina. It is typically the drink of choice at pulled pork restaurants that style themselves as "BBQ" though, of course, I never frequent such places owing to the fact that they suck.

True facts.  When I was in South Carolina this summer every restaurant I went to served Pepsi products 

On 12/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, South Austin said:

I’d eat at Quiznos over Subway in a heartbeat, but there isn’t one anywhere near me.

I don't like paying $9-12 for a turkey sandwich when i can get the same thing for 5 at Subway.  Potbelly is better anyway.

Edited by RollLeft

On 7/31/2019 at 2:06 PM, ztejas said:

Welcome to Panera Bread, can I get you half of an airport-display-case sandwich with a bowl of campbell's chicken noodle and a drink for $23? Because fuck you that's what you're getting. 

holy shit, this is perfect.  Panera costs at least twice, if not three times as much s a comparable sandwich/soup/salad place, but the food is about on par with what you can get at a Shell station

3 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

holy shit, this is perfect.  Panera costs at least twice, if not three times as much s a comparable sandwich/soup/salad place, but the food is about on par with what you can get at a Shell station

Yes there is a strange enigma about Panera.   They seem to be following the Starbucks model where they encourage you to come inside for one or two overpriced items and then stay for six hours.  The one in our neighborhood doesn’t do very much business and their rent has to be around 7-8 grand a month NNN.   

On 12/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, Parliament said:
On 12/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:
Cleveland was part of New Connecticut that was awarded to those from Connecticut that served in the Revolution.  It is very New England-ish.  Cinci has a ton of southern influences from the river boat trade. People say Cinci is the Northern most Southern town while others say Lexington is the Southern most Northern town. The two cities are about 60 miles apart.   Eastern half of Ohio from Youngstown down is Appalachia. Columbus and west of there is very Midwest.
WhenI was learning geography Iowa was in the Great Plains. When did it get lumped in with the Midwest? 

Ohio is a homogenization of the best of the Midwest, Rust Belt, Appalachia and the South.

Ohio is the Florida of the Midwest.  Of al the big states, it is the oldest, whitest and least educated.

Saw a few mentions of McD's on the thread and I'll weight in on that.  I serious question their future.  They won't go out of business because they're just too big but what is their reason for existence?  I'm forced to eat at one about once a year for various reasons and I'm reminded about how shitty they are.  The menu has been very stripped down to just breakfast and burgers.  Their burgers aren't close to being as good as the other burgers chains.  They also have a lot of legacy real estate in bad locations.  They missed out on the chicken sammich craze and I'm not sure how.  Chicken consumption has been steadily growing the past 10 years and what does McD's not have?

They'll try to make one of the next few years and run into procurement problems.

I can see how Chili’s does great in places like Round Rock, Plano and Katy. But how in the fuck is there still one open in Austin on 45th and Lamar? Who goes there?
Honestly there's no reason at all to even go to one in Katy. Tons of better options these days and many of them local. Yet Olive Garden has a line out the door every Friday and Saturday night.

13 minutes ago, Okie State said:
41 minutes ago, South Austin said:
I can see how Chili’s does great in places like Round Rock, Plano and Katy. But how in the fuck is there still one open in Austin on 45th and Lamar? Who goes there?

Honestly there's no reason at all to even go to one in Katy. Tons of better options these days and many of them local. Yet Olive Garden has a line out the door every Friday and Saturday night.

Some people just have shitty taste buds.  Dated a girl one time who loved Chili’s.  Took her to Neighborhood Sevices and Houston’s/Hillstone for a similar ‘a little bit of everything’ menu, but with better food.  She preferred Chili’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw a few mentions of McD's on the thread and I'll weight in on that.  I serious question their future.  They won't go out of business because they're just too big but what is their reason for existence?  I'm forced to eat at one about once a year for various reasons and I'm reminded about how shitty they are.  The menu has been very stripped down to just breakfast and burgers.  Their burgers aren't close to being as good as the other burgers chains.  They also have a lot of legacy real estate in bad locations.  They missed out on the chicken sammich craze and I'm not sure how.  Chicken consumption has been steadily growing the past 10 years and what does McD's not have?

They'll try to make one of the next few years and run into procurement problems.

The one in Caldwell, Texas makes a legit double quarter pounder with cheese. Tastes like it's cooked on an old flat top. Nice char on the meat, and juicy enough to run down your arm. 

I mean, other than the fact that you skipped over their two most popular menu items, chicken nuggets and fries? They sell a kabillion of those.

And yeah, they make a fortune on breakfast. I’d guess McDonald’s is the most popular breakfast restaurant in America.

Finally, maybe YOU don’t like processed fast food, but dude...most of America loves it.

I mean, seriously, this may be the most “America” photo ever taken, supplanting the photo of the flag planting on Iwo, or on the moon:

a19766f901cf2da67b8347c689cc38e3.jpg
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, Parliament said:
On 12/11/2019 at 7:28 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:
Cleveland was part of New Connecticut that was awarded to those from Connecticut that served in the Revolution.  It is very New England-ish.  Cinci has a ton of southern influences from the river boat trade. People say Cinci is the Northern most Southern town while others say Lexington is the Southern most Northern town. The two cities are about 60 miles apart.   Eastern half of Ohio from Youngstown down is Appalachia. Columbus and west of there is very Midwest.
WhenI was learning geography Iowa was in the Great Plains. When did it get lumped in with the Midwest? 

Read more  

Ohio is a trash state full of trash people that eat Skyline and call it a form of chili.  

Fixed for accuracy. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

We used to go there in college sometimes after working at the Intramural fields. We’d get lit up relatively cheaply and eat bottomless chips and salsa. Was always pretty busy. 

Then we’d go to Trudy’s for mexican martinis. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Ummmm.  Black people?/noracistimlovinit

3 hours ago, Deej said:

The one in Caldwell, Texas makes a legit double quarter pounder with cheese. Tastes like it's cooked on an old flat top. Nice char on the meat, and juicy enough to run down your arm. 

Report them to corporate hq. That's counter to the company's policy of rigid quality control. 

Also, I don't believe you. 

16 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We used to go there in college sometimes after working at the Intramural fields. We’d get lit up relatively cheaply and eat bottomless chips and salsa. Was always pretty busy. 

Sure, I’ve eaten at Chili’s before.  In college.  And when I’m traveling and it’s the only decent place around.  

I guess I should’ve clarified my question:  Who after college, making a halfway decent income, eats at that particular Chili’s?  I feel like I need to go there one night just to observe the dinner crowd for research.

I do have one good Chili’s story.  Back in 2000 when I lived in Dallas, I was dating a woman whose friend’s husband worked for Chili’s in some corporate capacity, maybe HR. One night we met them for dinner at—where else—Chili’s. In the middle of dinner, the guy fields a call from someone at an east coast Chili’s location where one of the employees had very recently killed themself. The guy was making sure that the company was providing a local grief counselor for any employees who were distraught over the news. I always thought it was pretty remarkable that the corporate level of a restaurant chain would work to find that kind of resource for employees at a distant franchise location.

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sure, I’ve eaten at Chili’s before.  In college.  And when I’m traveling and it’s the only decent place around.  

I guess I should’ve clarified my question:  Who after college, making a halfway decent income, eats at that particular Chili’s?  I feel like I need to go there one night just to observe the dinner crowd for research.

I do have one good Chili’s story.  Back in 2000 when I lived in Dallas, I was dating a woman whose friend’s husband worked for Chili’s in some corporate capacity, maybe HR. One night we met them for dinner at—where else—Chili’s. In the middle of dinner, the guy fields a call from someone at an east coast Chili’s location where one of the employees had very recently killed themself. The guy was making sure that the company was providing a local grief counselor for any employees who were distraught over the news. I always thought it was pretty remarkable that the corporate level of a restaurant chain would work to find that kind of resource for employees at a distant franchise location.

I think the point I was trying to make is it might have been busy because of college kids. Lots of homes rented to students on that area. Maybe. 

that is pretty cool of the company. 

If you are wondering why a particular location is still open, as opposed to a chain overall, it's because they very often sign very long-term leases, in which case a Chili's on Lamar at W. 45th would make a little bit more sense. Much like a pimp's love and that of a square, the dining scene of Austin in 1999 is very different from today.

LOL.  My parents pick up the kids after school, so we take them out to eat every Fri.  We have to eat at Chili's about once every two months because it's the choice of my youngest.  (We rotate selection by family member each week.)  Speaking of Chili's and corporate...

When I was in college, I worked at a Mexican restaurant in Knoxville called Cozymel's.  There were a couple in Dallas IIRC.  Anyway, owned by Brinker.  Pretty cool concept at the time as it was a combo of Mexican/seafood with fresh ingredients.  Brinker left it alone, but supplied the few advantages a corporation can give a restaurant - i.e. money, nice furnishings, etc...

One day, Brinker decides to expand the concept, so they put a new guy in charge and gave him lots and lots of money to grow.  They flew about 200 people down from all ~ 15 locations to hand pick about 20 to be corporate trainers. I was one.  Already too long of a story short... they spent a ton of money to improve the concept and prepared to open a new one in Austin.

I fly down there thinking, "Hmmm.  Austin seems like a bad place to try to move into the Tex/Mex market with a corporate theme."  I think the store lasted about a year.  Instead of chips and salsa, you got garlic bread.  Seriously.  You had to buy the chips and salsa if that's what you wanted them. They also ignored margarita-type drinks to push wine service.  The prices were crazy high.  

To this day, I wonder how someone could make it to the upper levels of Brinker and screw up a concept so badly.

• Like 1

The last chain that should be mentioned in a thread titled “How Is That Chain Still Open” is McDonalds.

Yep. About 20 years ago my wife suggested we sell MCD in my daughter’s TUGMA account. The reason? “No one goes there!” “I don’t know anyone who eats there!” “The trend is healthy food.” I held on to it. The approximately $6,000 we invested is now worth about $80k.
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:01 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

LOL.  My parents pick up the kids after school, so we take them out to eat every Fri.  We have to eat at Chili's about once every two months because it's the choice of my youngest.  (We rotate selection by family member each week.)  Speaking of Chili's and corporate...

When I was in college, I worked at a Mexican restaurant in Knoxville called Cozymel's.  There were a couple in Dallas IIRC.  Anyway, owned by Brinker.  Pretty cool concept at the time as it was a combo of Mexican/seafood with fresh ingredients.  Brinker left it alone, but supplied the few advantages a corporation can give a restaurant - i.e. money, nice furnishings, etc...

One day, Brinker decides to expand the concept, so they put a new guy in charge and gave him lots and lots of money to grow.  They flew about 200 people down from all ~ 15 locations to hand pick about 20 to be corporate trainers. I was one.  Already too long of a story short... they spent a ton of money to improve the concept and prepared to open a new one in Austin.

I fly down there thinking, "Hmmm.  Austin seems like a bad place to try to move into the Tex/Mex market with a corporate theme."  I think the store lasted about a year.  Instead of chips and salsa, you got garlic bread.  Seriously.  You had to buy the chips and salsa if that's what you wanted them. They also ignored margarita-type drinks to push wine service.  The prices were crazy high.  

To this day, I wonder how someone could make it to the upper levels of Brinker and screw up a concept so badly.

While Cozymel's concept is weird and chain Tex Mex is hard to pull off in Austin, nothing was ever successful in that location.  And fucking TGI Friday's had a booming run literally next door.

Weird spot.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, threesheets said:

Went there for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago.  Everything we ordered was actually pretty good (specifically the fried chicken).  I was shocked. 

Most appropriately named restaurant ever btw.

yeah, I was only half kidding. The food is about what it should be and the prices aren't horrible for what it is. I just had a bad experience at two Cracker Barrel's on Christmas Eve.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

How there are any On the Border locations doing business in Texas is beyond me.

To me, that's another one that wasn't bad about 10-15 years ago. It wouldn't be my first recommendation, but if I was traveling and one was near me, I would try it.

But, I went to get some take out for a work thing about 6 months ago and it was awful and really expensive. Real bland. Had a watered down Margarita while I waited. Definitely turned in to Tex Mex for Yankees.

I like Cracker Barrel.  I'd always rather find a local diner or greasy spoon for that kind of fare, but if none are convenient, then I'm okay with it.  Now, keeping the wife out of the junk shop up front is a nearly impossible task, so that's one reason to avoid them...

37 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Think the fried chicken at CB is good.  

When was the last time you got one there? That's always my go to, but on Christmas Eve it looked and tasted like it came from a frozen bag like you would get at Costco. That being said. They were on a limited menu since they were closing early,  so it could have just been different that day.