How Is That Chain Still Open?

I will fight anyone who says Gatti's Pizza sucks. I grew up on that pizza and nobody will convince me there's better pizza than pepperoni and meatball with a large side of ranch. Great after a game of soccer when you are 5, great after baseball when you are 12, great after golf when you are 18, great when you are drunk as shit in college and great now every time I go to Austin. So different and better than other joints.

Houston has some very good pizza places, but if you asked me what my final slice would be. Gattis. Hands down.

• Like 2

But seriously, who still goes to Chili's in Texas?  Except an airport.  As Tony Soprano once said to his therapist, "Well, you get a pass for that."  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

But seriously, who still goes to Chili's in Texas?  Except an airport.  As Tony Soprano once said to his therapist, "Well, you get a pass for that."  

I don't know, but when I drive by one there are always a lot of cars in the parking lot

5 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I don't know, but when I drive by one there are always a lot of cars in the parking lot

I represent a lot of clients in small towns.

At some point in time, many of these small towns get a Chili's.

The next time I visit said client, they are always excited for us all to go out to lunch -- "let's go to the Chili's!"

I've been to probably 20 Chili's in the state of Texas...not counting airports.

Free meals at a decent restaurant whilst in College.  Wow, way to take a stand man.  You are so brave.  ;)

It's the adults that pass by dozens of great restaurants at similar prices to get to a Chili's.  That's what I'll never understand.  

On 7/31/2018 at 12:54 PM, drewcifer said:

It was particularly irritating for me that day because they were already out of Ranch so my first two requests were no-gos. On top of that they had only large soda cups/lids available. Seems like places would be more conciliatory in such a situation. But they gave zero fucks.I don't think I'm going to go back to that location. 

Ranch ?

What are you a sorority girl?

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The Tri Lambs are not amused by you.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPhA-zq_ZxxrqUT4byYXA

Nor are they by you, considering that are a fraternity...not a sorority.  

54 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The next time I visit said client, they are always excited for us all to go out to lunch -- "let's go to the Chili's!"

And often, they aren’t passing up dozens of great local places for Chili’s. It’s legitimately one of the top 3 places in town.

3 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

And often, they aren’t passing up dozens of great local places for Chili’s. It’s legitimately one of the top 3 places in town.

Also true.  It's amazing how many small towns actually have few decent dining options.  Seriously, you'd at least expect a good local cafe.*

* However, as the hispanic population has now reached most corners of Texas, even in the smallest, least-served places, there's often a taqueria -- often in a building that used to be a DQ, Pizza Hut, or other chain that couldn't make it -- that serves damned good mexican food.  When in doubt, find the taqueria, and you can get a decent meal.  Funny thing is, after a few years, the local white farmers will start to frequent it as well.  Because 2 good breakfast tacos and a cuppa coffee for $5 is right their speed.

how long were you working on that afloat joke?  given your propensity for ship-caught seafood and sturdy women?  God bless you.  You remain a Great American.  

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Long John Silvers - who the fuck keeps eating here to keep them afloat?

Stopped in the LJS in Brownwood about 5 years ago (late road trip....felt like grabbing some chicken planks....it was a weak moment).

In walk 4 real-deal cowboys.  Bowlegged, dirty jeans, sweaty hats, jingling and worn spurs, the whole deal.  Like out of a movie.  So, there you go.  Cowboys eat at LJS.  And a sad lawyer driving to a hearing the next day.

• Like 1

Well...

57d06aaf70fec3ccdc52accbbfa9c058.jpg

5 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Reasonably priced flame-grilled burger with fresh stuff on it, served in a clean restaurant by fast friendly people.

Not to be underestimated, Dude.

My local is not clean and the employees are neither fast nor friendly, and about half the clientele have heartfelt conversations with their dollar-menu specials. It is owned by the same Pakistani crime family that runs the second-worst Popeye's I've ever been in, cattycorner from the BK. (The worst was a now-closed downtown Houston location. One day I was in there and raw sewage was seeping out of the ladies room into the dining area and nobody paid it any mind whatsoever.)

4 minutes ago, skipperj said:

Burger King in my part of town sucked so bad they closed it down and put in Taco Ranch. Don’t even know where another one is in Austin without googling.

I probably blocked out some nasty BKs. I'm just sayin, this one today was nice enough to have been in a commercial. I kept expecting a happy black guy to walk in and rap his order.

• Like 1

Last time I had BK was 2 years ago. Some chicken nuggets/fingers. Quite possibly the worst fast food item I have ever had. Their fries are not bad, though. Have not had a Whopper in forever, though.

Arby's used to be solid when they had the 5 for 5. The real 5 for 5, not these bullshit kid sandwiches they have for $1 now days. Arbys with their sauce and their curly fries hit the spot in my younger days.

My wife and I got permission to pass through airport security with my mother-in-law last time she was here, because my mother-in-law is 2,000 years old but looks FABULOUS.

After we put her on the plane, we wandered around, then ate at an airport restaurant inside the fixin-to-fly zone, because we could.

Told them we weren't flying. Freaked em out more than if I'd started shouting Allahu Akbar.

7 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I don't get the hate for Chili's.

My beef is not the food or drinks, but the little Idiocracy screens they have flashing at me on the table. And the one I last went to had a thin layer of grease or KY jelly all over everything. But I agree, sitting at the bar of a flair restaurant will cure most sins.

12 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

I don't get the hate for Chili's. The drinks are bottomless, the chips and sauce are also infinite, and if you can't find one good thing on their menu you aren't trying. I sit at the bar most times, it seems more alive and has TVs and adult beverages.

Chili's is great for a typical family with younger kids. I loved Chili's growing up. Those bigmouth burgers were good. Would I really want to go there these days? Probably not. But if I did because someone wanted to, I'd have no issue finding something to eat.

I see Chilis as more of a reserved atmosphere for families and Applebees being the exact opposite. Most of the Applebees brings in a low hanging fruit crowd especially at night. Hell its pretty much a nightclub at many of them. 

• Like 1

The ones in airports are called Chili’s Too, Mr Sophisticated.

I damn well know that. The Chili’s Too at the corner of the old SWA terminal at Love Field, with Antlers bar around the corner, and a beer cart adjacent on Friday’s, was part of my favorite bar scene in the state for years. Pissed me off when they fancified everything there.
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I damn well know that. The Chili’s Too at the corner of the old SWA terminal at Love Field, with Antlers bar around the corner, and a beer cart adjacent on Friday’s, was part of my favorite bar scene in the state for years. Pissed me off when they fancified everything there.

Pros: Whataburger.

Cons: no more throwing down an appetizer and a large beer at Chili’s, fight for a place at the bar for a beer and a shot at Antlers, grab a to go from the cart and wait in line for boarding, chugging it and dropping in the trash can just before showing your plastic B boarding pass.

• Like 1

Pros: Whataburger.
Cons: no more throwing down an appetizer and a large beer at Chili’s, fight for a place at the bar for a beer and a shot at Antlers, grab a to go from the cart and wait in line for boarding, chugging it and dropping in the trash can just before showing your plastic B boarding pass.

Dammit....you’re gonna make me cry.

Hobby really stepped up its game with all the Pappas joints (including Yia Yia Mary's Greek), Barry's Pizza (nuthin' fancy: good 1970s-style goo n' grease wedges), and a Chick-fil-A if you're in to that sort of thing. If you fear flying, head over to Pappasito's and get one of their large Margaritas. Then get another.

But no more unless you want to make the national news. "A Chicago-bound Southwest Airlines flight was forced to land in Little Rock, Arkansas today when a highly intoxicated passenger attempted to lead fellow flyers and crew in a profane chant about former Oklahoma Sooners head football coach Bob Stoops and bags of, um,  male genitalia."

(Cut to shot of cops dragging your laughing ass off the jetway and through the terminal, slack-jawed Arkies gnawing on grass stems and dully staring.)

Seriously, those Ritas are strong, huge, and made with fresh lime juice to boot. 

can't remember the last time i had burger king.  maybe college?  i was tempted to go because the whopper neutrality explainer/ad was so genius, but the nearest one closed.

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My local is not clean and the employees are neither fast nor friendly, and about half the clientele have heartfelt conversations with their dollar-menu specials. It is owned by the same Pakistani crime family that runs the second-worst Popeye's I've ever been in, cattycorner from the BK. (The worst was a now-closed downtown Houston location. One day I was in there and raw sewage was seeping out of the ladies room into the dining area and nobody paid it any mind whatsoever.)

11th and shepherd?

do they own the one on 610/yale that cut up their oak trees like they were crepe myrtles (not that crepe myrtles should be butchered, but lots of people do it every spring)

Edited by elfenix

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

can't remember the last time i had burger king.  maybe college?  i was tempted to go because the whopper neutrality explainer/ad was so genius, but the nearest one closed.

11th and shepherd?

do they own the one on 610/yale that cut up their oak trees like they were crepe myrtles (not that crepe myrtles should be butchered, but lots of people do it every spring)

Yes to 11th, and also to the Wendy's on Kirby and probably 610 and Yale. They have two or three LLCs and the number of places is staggering. It's impossible to assuredly boycott those assholes unless you swear off fast food or just stick to Whataburger.